Personal Trainer & Weight Management Certified here to help!

Options

Replies

• Aani15
    Aani15 Posts: 172 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    asimmons26 wrote: »
    Yes, I do know what energy is. Maybe you need a definition straight from the dictionary.
    en·er·gy
    ˈenərjē/
    noun
    the strength and vitality required for sustained physical or mental activity.
    "changes in the levels of vitamins can affect energy and well-being"

Actually I asked if you know what a calorie is. But your definition of energy, pretty much answered this too...

http://www.eufic.org/page/en/page/what-is-energy/

When the source of science knowledge is a 11 years old then this things often happen. :D
    Add: Energy is measured in
    http://www.aps.org/policy/reports/popa-reports/energy/units.cfm

I am more than happy to teach Science to grown ups, anytime!
  • Aani15
    edited November 2015
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    Just adding to my earlier post. At the beginning of this, I was asked about losing weight and suggesting how to get there. If anyone wants to eat empty calories or not make the most of what they consume then that's their prerogative. My suggestions are healthy choices which are much more beneficial to the body. Your body needs nutrients to feel satisfied and without nutrients you over eat bc your body still hasn't received what it needs.

In your perception, what's an empty calorie?

I ask because when I eat any calories I feel full and satisfied.

Empty calorie is without any nutritional value.
    Like alcohol.
    http://www.choosemyplate.gov/what-are-empty-calories
    Please feel free to ask any more questions, more than happy to help.
  • Aani15
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Just adding to my earlier post. At the beginning of this, I was asked about losing weight and suggesting how to get there. If anyone wants to eat empty calories or not make the most of what they consume then that's their prerogative. My suggestions are healthy choices which are much more beneficial to the body. Your body needs nutrients to feel satisfied and without nutrients you over eat bc your body still hasn't received what it needs.

Your suggestions are great but they are open to debate and some assertions lack scientific basis...that's the issue with "nutrition courses". Anybody can call themselves a nutritionist after an online course.

Empty calories IMO don't exist ...all foodstuffs have a benefit ..now it may be less nutritionally dense but if you've already covered off your macro and micro requirements then the emotional benefits shouldn't be underestimated ...and all food has nutritional benefits on some part of the scale, even if it's just calories

Please back it up if possible.
    Empty calorie is as real as CICO logic.
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    richln wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Most calorie strategies for weight loss have a downfall. The reason is all calories are not created equal. Your best bet is to just worry about eating clean and drinking half your body weight in ounces of water each day. Your BMR doesn't stay the same. (As you stated) The better fit or unfit you become you would need to recalculate everything. Temperature also changes your BMR so to go strictly off of a calculation like TDEE would need to be an estimate only. Don't even bother with that. Stay away from whites (rice, bread, pasta). These should only be eaten for special occasions. Replace these with Ezekiel bread, quinoa, etc. Get creative with your veggies, no butter. Your veggies should be the biggest portion on your plate.

i feel sorry for the cultures where rice is the staple diet.
    I've done curls with 50lb rice bag at home.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

You weren't curling white rice, were you? Only curling brown rice is healthy. :D

I just exploded in laughter in a quiet room and scared my 2 year old and now he's crying

If your laugh had just had 1g of fiber it would suddenly have been healthy and kept your child asleep.

The best thing ever! :laugh:
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    Merrysix wrote: »
    Sometimes I think that MFP is one of those organizations funded by Coca Cola (you know the message -- all about exercise, and just eating "right" amount of calories, doesn't matter what you eat.) Go for it I say -- just try eating crap to your calorie macro and see how you feel, and how much exercise you are motivated to do. I eat to my calories AND my macros. The combination keeps me health and feeling satisfied. When my macros get out of balance for ME then I have a hard time sticking to my food plan and calorie plan. (PS my macros are higher protein/lower carb, cause that's how I feel best and most motivated to stick to my calorie macros).

Then i would suggest that is how you interpret the information. If you want to look at semantics, yes you can lose on a diet of junk food (i.e twinkie diet) but no one ever would suggest that. Commonly we promote a diet full of variety, foods that are nutrient dense (probably 80 to 90% of them), finding a diet that is sustainable and if you have calories left over then go ahead and have a treat.

Personally, i was eating a klondike on a nightly basis, but decided to give it up once i really bumped up my lifting routine. I made this decision as i needed greater volume of food. So now i do grapes with cool whip. Same calories, both good (obviously klondike > grapes) but the volume is much greater on the grapes.

Since there are so many people that "misinterpret" your message, I would suggest to rethink your communication strategy.

("your" of course is not referred specifically to you, but in general to those that promote IIFYM/flexible dieting/moderation and are "misinterpreted")

If the greater you cant read past my first setence then its not an interpretation issue.. its a reading issue.

These are your moderators, @Alex

What's wrong with what i wrote? I wasnt insulting anyone. Common problems is people dont read the entire paragraph and they make assumptions.

That way i wrote my first statement is a perfect example of how i write. I provided a clear understanding of how people typically take responses and then i clarified the context of what is actually said.
  • Aani15
    Options
    Back to the calories are not equal. This is very simple. You eat 100 calories of French fries and I will eat 100 calories of veggies. Then let's see who has more energy. You can google not all calories are equal and find a ton of information backing this. The information I gave as to not all calories being equal was just a very quick statement without going into complex digestion and energy process of different foods. Your energy level has everything to do with how your lose weight.

You'd have the same "Energy"

You may not have the same nutritional balance from each food but as you well know a 'diet' (as in the food you intake over time) is based on all foods that you eat and not focusing on an individual food in isolation

There are instances I could imagine when 100 calories worth of french fries would actually be more beneficial to an overall diet than 100 calories of vegetables eg when there is inadequate fat to help absorb all those wonderful nutrients in the first place

I just think, and you probably agree, that calling food out as being bad in isolation rather than focusing on the overall diet is not really valid

Theoretically yes but practically no.
    https://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/health/healthyliving/kilojoules-and-calories

This link is easy to find online , many more will back up my argument.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Its like science. Sometimes people read that they want to, not what is actually being said because it doesnt support their hypothesis. You see this all the time with documentaries and news articles.
    Aani15 wrote: »

Your suggestions are great but they are open to debate and some assertions lack scientific basis...that's the issue with "nutrition courses". Anybody can call themselves a nutritionist after an online course.

Empty calories IMO don't exist ...all foodstuffs have a benefit ..now it may be less nutritionally dense but if you've already covered off your macro and micro requirements then the emotional benefits shouldn't be underestimated ...and all food has nutritional benefits on some part of the scale, even if it's just calories

All calories have some nutrition (even sugar). And in fact, i dont even thing empty calories is even a scientific term but rather an industry term.
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Sometimes I think that MFP is one of those organizations funded by Coca Cola (you know the message -- all about exercise, and just eating "right" amount of calories, doesn't matter what you eat.) Go for it I say -- just try eating crap to your calorie macro and see how you feel, and how much exercise you are motivated to do. I eat to my calories AND my macros. The combination keeps me health and feeling satisfied. When my macros get out of balance for ME then I have a hard time sticking to my food plan and calorie plan. (PS my macros are higher protein/lower carb, cause that's how I feel best and most motivated to stick to my calorie macros).
    I eat 80% "clean" (nutrient dense) and 20% of whatever I want (you don't get extra credit for eating over your macro goals) while staying within calorie limits.............................for years. Health is more than just about eating. If one suffers from lack of rest, stress, health issues (high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes), bad environment, risk behavior (smoking, high risk sports, etc.) is unhappy, just eating "clean" isn't going to fix those issues. And they involve having an overall healthy outlook.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

This. I was doing my calorie deficit, 'clean eating' thing, at a job I hated. It stressed me out all the time, I was always on call despite not actually being paid to be, my boss never left me alone, I never got enough rest, felt like I had no time for myself, let alone friends, family, or exercise. It was awful. I lost a whole 10 pounds the whole 5 months I was there.

Then I changed jobs. Suddenly I had time for hobbies, meal planning, exercise, and time with friends and family! I've been here since February and I've lost over 40 pounds. Sleep is a bit of a struggle because I work night shift now, but since giving up the glass of wine when I get home I sleep a bit better. I'm giving it a few more weeks before I start to see real results of feeling more rested. I'm about 20 pounds from my goal and my doctor said I am looking great and so are my lab results.

I can definitely attest that health is NOT just about eating.
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options

Then i would suggest that is how you interpret the information. If you want to look at semantics, yes you can lose on a diet of junk food (i.e twinkie diet) but no one ever would suggest that. Commonly we promote a diet full of variety, foods that are nutrient dense (probably 80 to 90% of them), finding a diet that is sustainable and if you have calories left over then go ahead and have a treat.

Personally, i was eating a klondike on a nightly basis, but decided to give it up once i really bumped up my lifting routine. I made this decision as i needed greater volume of food. So now i do grapes with cool whip. Same calories, both good (obviously klondike > grapes) but the volume is much greater on the grapes.

Since there are so many people that "misinterpret" your message, I would suggest to rethink your communication strategy.

("your" of course is not referred specifically to you, but in general to those that promote IIFYM/flexible dieting/moderation and are "misinterpreted")

If the greater you cant read past my first setence then its not an interpretation issue.. its a reading issue.

What's wrong with what i wrote? I wasnt insulting anyone. Common problems is people dont read the entire paragraph and they make assumptions.

That way i wrote my first statement is a perfect example of how i write. I provided a clear understanding of how people typically take responses and then i clarified the context of what is actually said.

The fact that you can't see "what's wrong" is part of the problem.

• Aani15
    Options
    Its like science. Sometimes people read that they want to, not what is actually being said because it doesnt support their hypothesis. You see this all the time with documentaries and news articles.

All calories have some nutrition (even sugar). And in fact, i dont even thing empty calories is even a scientific term but rather an industry term.

Alcohol, what is the nutritional value of it or is it just another 'Broscience/Sissceience', an industry term?
    https://www.drinkaware.co.uk/check-the-facts/health-effects-of-alcohol/appearance/calories-in-alcohol

Overall health has no equal (healthy BMI body weight does not necessarily mean a healthy body).
    It should be made compulsory to talk calorie deficit with nutrition (Quality of food is more important than quantity of food for a healthy weight loss, of course NOT necessary for JUST weight loss ).

• psuLemon
    Options

Alcohol, what is the nutritional value of it or is it just another 'Broscience/Sissceience', an industry term?
    https://www.drinkaware.co.uk/check-the-facts/health-effects-of-alcohol/appearance/calories-in-alcohol

Overall health has no equal (healthy BMI body weight does not necessarily mean a healthy body).
    It should be made compulsory to talk calorie deficit with nutrition (Quality of food is more important than quantity of food for a healthy weight loss, of course NOT necessary for JUST weight loss ).

I don't know enough about alcohol to address that issue but mabye someone else can.

I would ask you though who is defining which foods are healthy and not? Because ultimate comlaring each food would miss the forest. That is why you have to look at the total diet.
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options

Pubmed gives me 70 results with the term "empty calories" in the abstract, Google Scholar gives 6100 results. So it is definitely used in academia.

• psuLemon
    edited November 2015
    Options

Pubmed gives me 70 results with the term "empty calories" in the abstract, Google Scholar gives 6100 results. So it is definitely used in academia.

Just because its used (first used around 1955), doesn't mean its a scientific term. I have seen a few slightly different definitions for it. Aome suggest its calories with no nutrition and others suggest its calories with little to no. Ironically, the put hfcs and butter (solid fats) in that category as examples.

So depending how you define it, depends how i would address the question.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

The fact that you can't see "what's wrong" is part of the problem.

Actually, and it's not my job to side with the moderators, I think the issue is you bringing your own interpretations which seem to be borne out of negativity, into play

Once again it's the black box theory of mind - your own experiences and attitudes colour what your read. Everybody's does. But here you should try to read without intent, difficult though it might seem.

I see nothing wrong in the facts as presented - because you take a view that there is an emotional driver behind the words is exactly the problem. It happens time and time again with certain posters I've seen. It's an interesting phenomenon
  • Sued0nim
    Options

I see you have commented on a number of my posts, not entirely sure why but you appear to be positioning yourself as one who brings science .. I'd really like to see you start to support that with your posts

In one you asserted that alcohol is empty calories, I disagree - even alcohol contains benefits for many
    - an emotional affect on the psyche in moderation
    - some reports that certain alcoholic beverages contain antioxidants (eg red wine and Resveratrol with some indications that it helps protect the lining of blood vessels in the heart but more research required)
    - of course different alcohols contain small quantities of iron and carbs and they all have calories eg energy
    - my favourite benefit is that alcohol serves to lessen inhibitions which in general serves to increase the general amusement and interest factor in any social situation - which increases the amount of laughter and we all know laughing is good for the heart - maybe that's just with my friends though
  • Aani15
    Options

I see you have commented on a number of my posts, (wherever necessary, yes as I do with others!)
    not entirely sure why but you appear to be positioning yourself as one who brings science .. I'd really like to see you start to support that with your posts

Accepted, this argument also applies to 'veterans', 'suspects', 'sharp shooters', 'Bro/sis science educators' and many more cherry pick posters.

In one you asserted that alcohol is empty calories, I disagree - even alcohol contains benefits for many
    - some reports that certain alcoholic beverages contain antioxidants (eg red wine and Resveratrol with some indications that it helps protect the lining of blood vessels in the heart but more research required)
    - of course different alcohols contain small quantities of iron and carbs and they all have calories eg energy
    - my favourite benefit is that alcohol serves to lessen inhibitions which in general serves to increase the general amusement and interest factor in any social situation - which increases the amount of laughter and we all know laughing is good for the heart - maybe that's just with my friends though

I'm at loss of words here.
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options

I see you have commented on a number of my posts, (wherever necessary, yes as I do with others!)
    not entirely sure why but you appear to be positioning yourself as one who brings science .. I'd really like to see you start to support that with your posts

Accepted, this argument also applies to 'veterans', 'suspects', 'sharp shooters', 'Bro/sis science educators' and many more cherry pick posters.

maybe you should have a beer, might help you lighten up and find some words :)
  • Aani15
    Options

Once again it's the black box theory of mind - your own experiences and attitudes colour what your read. Everybody's does. But here you should try to read without intent, difficult though it might seem.

I see nothing wrong in the facts as presented - because you take a view that there is an emotional driver behind the words is exactly the problem. It happens time and time again with certain posters I've seen. It's an interesting phenomenon. 'I totally agree with this.'
  • Aani15
    Options
    FatMoojor wrote: »

maybe you should have a beer, might help you lighten up and find some words :)

Cheers to that ;) !
  • Sued0nim
    Options

Which part didn't you understand?