55-65 year old women's success?

Replies

• pstegman888
    pstegman888 Posts: 286 Member
    ReginaPats wrote: »
    I am about to turn 76 in January, 2016. Have to loose 40 pounds. Just visited my Heart Doctor. At my age it is not easy. I have high blood pressure, high sugar. Tired all the time. Can not exercise. It is not going to be easy. Need new members, to help me along. Have to get off sweets. At one time walked 18 to 30 miles a day, miss that.

Set a small goal, like 10 pounds, to start with. Make small changes to your diet so it's not so stressful. Save a few small treats to look forward to. I am doing most of my weight loss with very little exercise due to health problems. Losing weight and doing just a little walking each day should hopefully help a lot toward getting the high blood pressure and blood sugar under control. You can do it! Take it one meal at a time. Everybody is here to help and encourage!

• SbetaK
    SbetaK Posts: 380 Member
    edited November 2015
    ReginaPats: Your town looks to be a good sized town. Have you looked into maybe going to a swim pool when that has senior programs (like water aerobics) and just moving? You could probably go and not exercise with the class, but stay to the side and just start by trying to swing your limbs, move your legs like walking. The water causes a resistance to your movements that can benefit your muscles. And the best part is being in the water is easier on your joints. Does not feel like gravity is weighing you down. Quite a few public pools have sessions where seniors and disabled people can use them without competition or crowding by the general population. At any rate, somehow if you can find a way to add movement to your day, it would greatly benefit you. Instead of accepting what you can't do, look at things you CAN try to do. Just a little bit each day, and longer if you feel better. Because you are here on this site, you have already taken a step towards better health! Good luck
  • Artemis2121
    Artemis2121 Posts: 42 Member
    ReginaPats wrote: »
    I am about to turn 76 in January, 2016. Have to loose 40 pounds. Just visited my Heart Doctor. At my age it is not easy. I have high blood pressure, high sugar. Tired all the time. Can not exercise. It is not going to be easy. Need new members, to help me along. Have to get off sweets. At one time walked 18 to 30 miles a day, miss that.
    Regina are you getting good nutrition and enough protein? As we age, we don't absorb our nutrients as well, leaving our bodies still hungry. Sweets can also wreak havoc on blood sugar levels. Cooking or using a blender can make vegetables easier to digest. Staying hydrated plus balancing carbs, protein and fat (macros) helps keep my own carb cravings in check. Ask your doctor about recommended exercise for your condition. I use small dumbbells or youtube zumba videos. I have a favorite water bottle I carry around so much, I miss its cheerful red lid when it's in the dishwasher.
    I saw anotherMFP users post, he used a picture of himself with a bag of potatoesweighing the amount of lbs he lost. That visual stuck with me. Would I now pick up and carry or exercise with that much of potatoes (my 30 lb)? Maybe for 30 minutes, LOL. All day? No way!

Good luck on your path to good health. You will find many helpful individuals. groups and forums here to help you.
  • DancesWithDogz
    DancesWithDogz Posts: 107 Member
    I am so happy to have found this thread. I'm 55, and always looking for success stories from middle aged folks like me. They always say it's harder, but it can be done...I want proof it can be done. I see from this thread..that it can. I hope to be one of the success stories on here, that helps even just one person push through and reach their goals. Please add me as a friend - I have a little group going right now called "The Road to ONEderland" if anyone would like to join me on that road trip. I blog at "My Big Fat Weight Loss Journey"
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    This3uaajb1iuxvz.jpeg
    This is me weighing in at 190.
    c9m902h2wax0.jpg
    This is me at 130ish. What a difference hard work and a few months make.
    Avatar is me at 118. If I can do it, so can you. Am 57 yrs. old.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,030 Member
    Wow, @mk2loser! You look like an entirely different person. Congrats!
  • trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    @mk2loser you look awesome! You do look like an entirely different person, happy and healthy!
  • krenwren
    krenwren Posts: 136 Member
    WOW, so inspired. Need will power!!!! Need that ah hah moment! Thanks for sharing!!
  • vicky1947mfp
    vicky1947mfp Posts: 1,527 Member
    This 68 year old just finished week3day1 of C25K. Invigorating!! Made it all the way without stopping.
  • HSDramamom
    HSDramamom Posts: 44 Member
    Ditto to what krenwren said
    krenwren wrote: »
    Can your doc recommend an exercise program for you? Cardiac rehab perhaps. Does your community have classes for older adults that you could try? Food is the biggest factor but exercise will help you feel less tired and more empowered. Does your doc have an nurse practitioner or nurse that can help you with your goals???

• HSDramamom
    Ya'll are really inspiring! I'm almost 52. I lost 10 pounds on WW at the beginning of this year and had hoped to have another 15 off by now, but with summer busyness, a jam-packed fall schedule, and a slipped disc, I haven't reached that goal and gained back a few pounds. I have gotten discouraged and wanted to nearly give up, but then I get frustrated with how I look in my clothes and the desire is renewed, though the discipline has been inconsistent. :( I want to chalk it up to slow metabolism, but then know that's the fallback excuse. (huge sigh)

I was regularly exercising quite hard on a recumbent elliptical at the Y for a while, but began gaining weight. I don't know what that was about--inflammation or what. I really like the recumbent elliptical because I get a good workout with no pain, unlike other forms of exercise. I know I should try to walk every day, but carving out that time is challenging and there is some pain involved, though I can push through it. The whole heart rate/fat burn zone thing has me confused. I do enjoy Pilates and my chiropractor encouraged me to do that to strengthen my core, which is key for my slipped disc, but I know that doesn't burn a whole lot of calories--not like the elliptical or walking.

Anyway, I'm glad I found this thread. Hopefully I'll continue to gain inspiration here!

Christina

• HSDramamom
    What kind of exercise have you done?
    mk2loser wrote: »
    This3uaajb1iuxvz.jpeg
    c9m902h2wax0.jpg

• griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Wow; what a transformation!! Congrats! B)
  • DancesWithDogz
    have you tried urban poling (Nordic walking)
    HSDramamom wrote: »
    Ya'll are really inspiring! I'm almost 52. I lost 10 pounds on WW at the beginning of this year and had hoped to have another 15 off by now, but with summer busyness, a jam-packed fall schedule, and a slipped disc, I haven't reached that goal and gained back a few pounds. I have gotten discouraged and wanted to nearly give up, but then I get frustrated with how I look in my clothes and the desire is renewed, though the discipline has been inconsistent. :( I want to chalk it up to slow metabolism, but then know that's the fallback excuse. (huge sigh)

I was regularly exercising quite hard on a recumbent elliptical at the Y for a while, but began gaining weight. I don't know what that was about--inflammation or what. I really like the recumbent elliptical because I get a good workout with no pain, unlike other forms of exercise. I know I should try to walk every day, but carving out that time is challenging and there is some pain involved, though I can push through it. The whole heart rate/fat burn zone thing has me confused. I do enjoy Pilates and my chiropractor encouraged me to do that to strengthen my core, which is key for my slipped disc, but I know that doesn't burn a whole lot of calories--not like the elliptical or walking.

Anyway, I'm glad I found this thread. Hopefully I'll continue to gain inspiration here!

Christina

• DancesWithDogz
    This3uaajb1iuxvz.jpeg
    c9m902h2wax0.jpg

Wow...i am inspired and impressed. ..thank you for sharing
  • krenwren
    @vicky1947mfp Way to go! I love the C@5k program. I have used it before to prepare for runs, it's great. 2016 my goal is to walk/run a half marathon with my twin. I'll be using the same type of program. good luck!
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    As to exercise, I started out walking. When the weather got cold, my husband bought me a combination elliptical/stationary bike. Cheap at Walmart. I use that bad boy every day. I discovered jessicasmithtv on youtube for walking and strength videos. I discovered in the last few months that I love running! Try what you can and stick with what you like/love.
  • LaceyBirds
    LaceyBirds Posts: 451 Member
    As to exercise, I started out walking. When the weather got cold, my husband bought me a combination elliptical/stationary bike. Cheap at Walmart. I use that bad boy every day. I discovered jessicasmithtv on youtube for walking and strength videos. I discovered in the last few months that I love running! Try what you can and stick with what you like/love.

What brand/model elliptical did you buy? Thanks in advance. :)

• krenwren
    hoo boy another pound down. love to be under 170 by XMAS. we'll see!
  • griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    krenwren, you'll make it!! B)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!