55-65 year old women's success?

Options

Replies

• alizesmom
    alizesmom Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Love reading all the comments. I started last Christmas at 202 and currently weigh 138. My goal is a range of 117-127 so I'm getting there. I count, walk and just this week started strength training (oh my sore muscles!). I'm 62 by the way.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    alizesmom wrote: »
    Love reading all the comments. I started last Christmas at 202 and currently weigh 138. My goal is a range of 117-127 so I'm getting there. I count, walk and just this week started strength training (oh my sore muscles!). I'm 62 by the way.

Great results. I love strength training, hope you fall for it too. It has changed my body in some positive ways and I am still just using dumbbells. Older ladies can lift stuff too (everyone has their own "heavy")
    17761776 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options

Wow!!!! Wonderful!!! Any advice for a struggling 65 woman?? Gayle Minneapolis
  • krenwren
    krenwren Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    @alizesmom that's great progress! so impressive!!
    Options
    There's a ton of inspiration here. Good on us! I'm 71, overweight since grade school, with many diets, ups and downs of poundage over the years. Many times joining/rejoining Weight Watchers and other "plans" over the years also. Ten years ago I finally reached my WW goal (which I had set at the top of the range for my height). Within three years I had put back on 40 pounds. I had just retired with time on my hands, so began once again focusing on my health. So, back to WW. I found that I could no longer lose weight consistently, so I bit the bullet and began an exercise program. I joined the YMCA, took group classes, got a Fitbit and walked more. I immediately began to see a consistent one pound of weight loss each week at WW, and reached my goal weight in about 15 months. I continued and added to my exercise program: it's now an important part of my daily routine -- and vital to my weight management. So, today, I am 20 lbs below my WW Lifetime goal weight and feel more fit and confident than I ever did. I highly recommend trying group exercise classes at your local YMCA if you have one. I am fortunate that my health insurance covers my membership, as part of the Silver Sneakers program. Good luck everyone!

Like to show this to my dr. He claims after 55 you need to have surgery. Thanks your inspiration!! Gayle Minneapolis
  • alizesmom
    alizesmom Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    17761776 wrote: »

Wow!!!! Wonderful!!! Any advice for a struggling 65 woman?? Gayle Minneapolis

My best suggestion is to get one thing right at a time. I started with diet, added cardio and finally strength training. If I had tried to start all 3 at the same time I would have been overwhelmed.
  • Triplestep
    Triplestep Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    17761776 wrote:
    Like to show this to my dr. He claims after 55 you need to have surgery. Thanks your inspiration!! Gayle Minneapolis

Time for a new doctor. Surgery is a valid choice, but it's one among many.
    My best suggestion is to get one thing right at a time. I started with diet, added cardio and finally strength training. If I had tried to start all 3 at the same time I would have been overwhelmed.

I second this advice for adding a bit at a time. I started with weight training, which motivated me to really look at what I was eating and logging here. That, in turn, motivated me to move more and ramp up the cardio to burn more calories. I'm not very far into this, but I'm sticking with it in a way I have not before, recovering from mis-steps faster and being much more consistent. I always told myself not to make drastic changes all at once - that it would fail ultimately - but somehow that is what I was doing anyway!
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    @alizesmom, I too, started with diet. Added walking and other cardio pretty quickly. Strength came after several months. Lost lots of weight and actually have some muscles to show for all this! Am 57.
  • trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I also started with diet then began exercising, walking and biking (slowly). After a several lost pounds I wanted to pick up the pace so I joined a gym. Began with cardio and added weight resistance almost simultaneously. Cut back on the cardio and kept working with the weights. I have muscles showing now and the weights reshaped me all over. I still walk and ride my bike on off gym days. Love the walking and weights the best.
  • Eleted
    Eleted Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Everyone has been quiet. I'm curious how everyone is handling or plans to handle the barrage of holiday treats?
  • MAJdansk
    MAJdansk Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Quiet? LOL...eating mixed nuts and checking to see how many calories I have left for the day. I've been logging, but just barely staying close to my goal. Motivation is not very strong just now. I keep thinking a fresh New Year start will be good....BUT...I don't want to lose the same pounds over again. That's too discouraging!
  • Gemini61454
    Gemini61454 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    The holiday food has arrived at the workplace :( I made it through day one of a gigantic treat tray, only to indulge in the chocolates that someone gave me over the weekend. I'm logging truthfully through it all and just keep walking everyday to try to maintain my loss. When it comes to sugar I am weak, but hanging on... Thankfully my house is full of righteous food :)
  • trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    No worries, I even brought my lunch (protein bar & apple) to the mall while Christmas shopping. Just added a cup of coffee!
  • vicky1947mfp
    vicky1947mfp Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Things are going great. Have actually lost an extra lb in the last 30 days. I am now 11 lbs below my goal weight.

I do indulge a little here and there but keep it within my daily goals.

I keep my calorie goal about 1300 on days with no parties and about 1500 for days with parties.

But I am on maintenance now so I have a few more calories to work with.

Also I eat back some of my exercise calories now. I don't want to lose any more weight. Just maintain here.

I have a two week vacation in Florida in January so knowing I will be putting on a swimsuit keeps me motivated.

Good luck everyone. And Merry Christmas.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    I'm at or close to maintenance now (5'5", around 129), and my plans are to stay fairly steady weight over the holidays. I'll eat more at celebrations/events, but likely cut a bit on days before/after to even out somewhat, maybe add some activity if opportunity presents. I may try to lose another 5 pounds or so afterwards; haven't decided.

Everything gets logged, always; many of the celebrations have to be estimated (because I didn't cook the food), and I try to estimate on the high side.

I have no intention of giving up eating a bit extra on celebratory occasions for the rest of my life, so I'm using the present as an experiment/learning opportunity about how to work them in successfully. Worse case scenario - not preferred scenario - I'll have to re-lose a little bit. But no worries: I know how. ;)
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Life is good. Am holding steady on maintenance. Woo hoo! Life is good. This time last year was starting my journey and survived. This year am doing fine. Log everything! It works and we can do it, ladies!
  • vicky1947mfp
    vicky1947mfp Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    mk2loser wrote: »
    Life is good. Am holding steady on maintenance. Woo hoo! Life is good. This time last year was starting my journey and survived. This year am doing fine. Log everything! It works and we can do it, ladies!

<3
    Options
    Too busy, eating lots of Chinese. Not baking this year
  • transformedbyhim56
    Options
    Last year I baked a lot of cookies and ate and sampled way too many! I did log it all though, so I did not gain. This year I am baking cookies again, but I put them in tupperware containers and out of sight because sugar is such a trigger food for me. Once I start I can't seem to get enough. I have to watch my blood sugar. Last time when I went to the doctor my A1C was 5.3 and I want to keep it there. I hosted a Christmas party at my house, but did not eat any of the cookies. I enjoyed the company and the visiting and had a great time. I want to prove to myself that celebrating is not all about the sweets and desserts! It's about the relationships and love!
  • transformedbyhim56
    Options
    I have been following this thread for a while now. I have lost 55 pounds in the past 18 months, but before the holidays the weight had started creeping up. I have gained 10 pounds back. I am cutting calories and going to get that 10 pounds off, even if it is the holidays. There is always some excuse and right now I am done with excuses.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!