Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,527 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    The correct response would have been to smile and walk away. He got the response he wanted and you fell for it. Emotional control might be something you want to work on this year. And as mentioned, physically attacking someone shouldn't be the way to handle a problem.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I don't necessarily think smile and walk away is the right response either. That sounds like an awfully archaic ladylike response and shows the guy he can get away with insulting women without repercussions.

If someone insults you do you smile and walk away?
    Why not? I've had people at the gym laugh at me as "the trainer" with insults of why are they paying this guy for a job that the average gym rat could do. Eh. If that's their feeling, more power to them. What's confronting them going to do? People ALREADY know that they are being buttheads and confronting them could just lead to more unneeded BS. What happens if I walk away from it? Nothing. Letting it AFFECT ME is what they want. You're putting power in the hands of people who have ego issues. Must be my thick skin from doing door to door sales for years.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

It's nice that it can fluff your ego like that but what about the next person?

I agree you have to read the situation and sometimes you can walk away. But sometimes you have to stand up for yourselves and stop the BS even if you're at risk of violence from the other person.

But maybe that's my thick skin from coming out in a Christian school at 15.

This wasn't one of those times, she wasn't cornered with no way out. All she had to do was wave a bouncer/bar staff member over and he would have been kicked out.

But the suggestion wasn't even to do that it was to smile and walk away aka not address the man's negative behaviour in any way.

To be clear I do not support the OP (if you read my other posts) but a blanket statement that all women should smile and walk away is so wrong.
    Lol, if you think standing up to someone is going to "change" them, have fun with that. May they leave that one person alone? Maybe, but habitual behavior would just have them find someone else to do it to regardless of how many "stand up" to them.
    Why do you think people with money seem to get away with everything? Peoples character don't change unless they want to change it willfully.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

You're probably right. But waving a white flag against unlikely odds is not my style.
    I'm thinking in terms of my own DD. Any physical altercation usually results in the smaller person getting hurt, especially if it's a female vs a male. As I mentioned, if the dude was relentless, you mention it to the right people to have it taken care of. Most dudes like this who harass females get thrown out. Problem usually solved.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

So you're amending your original statement of 'smile and walk away' to 'contact the relative authorities'?

Not really the same thing.
    Touche'. How about "smile and walk away" first. If the person is relentlessly insistent on harassing, then involve the right personnel.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,527 Member
    Options
    Personally I'd like to hear the "friends" account of the situation. Always 2 sides to every story.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Personally I'd like to hear the "friends" account of the situation. Always 2 sides to every story.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Always 3 sides when there is two people involved.

And there were 3 people involved here.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    This guy did a lot more than insult the OP. He was also aggressively pursuing her friend all night and wouldn't leave her alone in spite of the fact that it was quite clear she was not interested. He was aggressive, pushy, and violent. OP snapped and this guy pushed her when she slapped him. I'm guessing thanks to OP he found someone else to harass and/or rape last night. Give the girl a break. Stay out of that awful scene, OP.
    I fail to see where in the OP's description it said he was violent. I also fail to see where the OP got acknowledgement from her friend that this guy wasn't leaving her alone, only that the OP felt that way. If the person was seriously following OP's friend more than OP's friend was comfortable with, it should be on OP's friend to tell an employ of the establishment rather than on OP to assault someone.
  • krandolpht
    krandolpht Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Larissa_NY wrote: »
    wonut wrote: »
    So there was drinking, someone hitting on a woman who wasn't interested, insults traded and one person hits another. Sounds like the story of every bar fight ever. Logically, I know that OP was wrong and she recklessly endangered herself but emotionally, I'm a little bit proud that she didn't let random dude crap on her.

I am really getting depressed by the number of people on this thread with absolutely zero awareness of the vast, gaping chasm full of conflict resolution tactics that exists between "let someone crap on you" and "become physically violent with them." I mean, that gap is basically where adult human civilization exists.

Thank you.
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Me too! And the guy. And while I'm wishing how about a sober bystander. Bet there would be 4 different stories.
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    salembambi wrote: »
    standing up for your friend was the right thing to do his reaction is very typical and basic

Doesn't her friend get to decide if it was the right thing to do? Because I'd be *kitten* furious.

I mean, I'm making things up here, but think about it from the friend's point of view. It's New Year's Eve, you're just trying to have a good time at a bar, and not only do you have some doofus hitting on you and refusing to pick up on go-away signals, but then all of a sudden you have to deal with bouncers and bartenders and potentially the police because your drunk friend decides you need a knight in shining Spanx to protect you from bar doofuses and physically starts a fight with him.

I'd have hauled the drunk friend out of the bar, shoved her in a cab, and told her not to call me again until she stopped taking her cues for how to behave in public from Jersey Shore reruns.

giveflowers.gif

tumblr_static_vulcan_slap.gif?w=320

Later that night after things calmed down:
    xgzmb08faoik.gif

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    This guy did a lot more than insult the OP. He was also aggressively pursuing her friend all night and wouldn't leave her alone in spite of the fact that it was quite clear she was not interested. He was aggressive, pushy, and violent. OP snapped and this guy pushed her when she slapped him. I'm guessing thanks to OP he found someone else to harass and/or rape last night. Give the girl a break. Stay out of that awful scene, OP.

Whoa! You got all that from the OP she wrote drunk? She was drunk when she wrote it...so we only know bits of what happened or didn't happen. The story she shared was merely 'her' view point, not necessarily what actually happened. Those are some huge assumptions you've made from a drunk poster on the internet.

Where did you read that?
    I never saw anything like that written either... unless they're talking about a whole other thread!

Same here. Some of these posts remind me of the game Telephone.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

Whoa! You got all that from the OP she wrote drunk? She was drunk when she wrote it...so we only know bits of what happened or didn't happen. The story she shared was merely 'her' view point, not necessarily what actually happened. Those are some huge assumptions you've made from a drunk poster on the internet.

Where did you read that?
    I never saw anything like that written either... unless they're talking about a whole other thread!

Same here. Some of these posts remind me of the game Telephone.

Isn't that always how this goes?
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

What? You're kidding, right? Where is that mentioned in the original post, and I don't see any subsequent replies from her.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    standing up for your friend was the right thing to do his reaction is very typical and basic

Doesn't her friend get to decide if it was the right thing to do? Because I'd be *kitten* furious.

I mean, I'm making things up here, but think about it from the friend's point of view. It's New Year's Eve, you're just trying to have a good time at a bar, and not only do you have some doofus hitting on you and refusing to pick up on go-away signals, but then all of a sudden you have to deal with bouncers and bartenders and potentially the police because your drunk friend decides you need a knight in shining Spanx to protect you from bar doofuses and physically starts a fight with him.

I'd have hauled the drunk friend out of the bar, shoved her in a cab, and told her not to call me again until she stopped taking her cues for how to behave in public from Jersey Shore reruns.

giveflowers.gif

xgzmb08faoik.gif

Love the humor! LOL!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

giveflowers.gif

Again with the gifs :huh: :noway:

• QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options

giveflowers.gif

xgzmb08faoik.gif

Again with the gifs :huh: :noway:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQAgNfNqHobgzkAtwCtfHuq5zrhCT5QWcAxagRd7BcQW0QfxOzucQ
  • Triplestep
    Triplestep Posts: 239 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    But from that snippet and from the rest of her post, we do not know if the friend told him to leave her alone or if she was just rolling her eyes and giggling when he turned his back. There is not enough information on the situation to make some of the leaps and bounds that are being taken in this thread.
    By this reasoning, none of us should be posting opinions. Message boards should not exist ... there's NEVER enough info; you have to take what you see at face value and go from there.

My reading of this is that the guy was an aggressive *kitten*; if you read my previous posts, I don't think the OP has zero culpability, but why do we expect women to behave well in the face of men who don't? Plenty of women DO giggle and roll their eyes at unwanted advances because speaking your mind gets you dick-ish remarks. (If you don't believe me, see an instagram called "Tinder Nightmares"; you'll see plenty of examples of women letting men down easily and the men lashing out at them.)
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

So a guy talking to a woman in a bar is now a rapist....?

A violent person AND a rapist, no less
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Triplestep wrote: »
    What? Is this a serious post? A guy hitting on a girl in a bar on NYE, possibly/probably unwanted based on the ranting of her friend who admits she was put out and didn't like playing the game, is likely to harass or rape someone because the OP reacted so badly and assaulted him?
    You misunderstood. This post is saying the guy found someone else to harass because he is a pushy d!ck who moved on to his next target after the OP intervened.

No I didn't misunderstand. I understand that the only information any of us have are the words the OP wrote when she got home and was still drunk and very emotional. I think it is an extreme stretch to go from the OPs words about the guy not being able to take a hint from her friend, to that he's going to potentially harass and rape someone else. I also understood that the OPs friends were upset with her behavior (rightfully so) and so I'm not sure how much weight to put behind her observation that the guys advances were unwanted. Maybe her friend was trying to make OP feel better by telling her that she wasn't interested in the guy, since the OP felt like she wasn't interested in "playing the game" with any other men at the bar. Maybe as someone else said she was rolling her eyes behind his back.
    Maybe she really wasn't into him, but didn't want to be rude.

The point is we don't really know what the situation was between the friend and the dude. And the recounting of what happened between OP and the dude was clearly influenced by a lot of alcohol and emotion. So I find bringing the concept of him finding someone else to rape completely and totally offensive in the context of what limited information we have.
This discussion has been closed.