MFP New Years Resolutions (the lighter side)

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2016
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    The English language is (obviously) spoken in many places besides England, so I don't get the point of saying the English language is the English language. Also, like all languages, it has changed over time and will continue to do so. Shakespeare couldn't even figure out how to spell his own name, surely we can have our diverse spellings and preferences about them.

Unrelated point -- I really want to go to Wales.

Go to a field, with sheep ...pour a bucket of water on your head ..it will be a close enough representation

;)

I started watching a video of this event: http://www.theguardian.com/travel/gallery/2012/sep/06/dragons-back-race-wales-in-pictures. Totally insane. (Their site isn't currently working on my computer, so you get the Guardian.)

To be 100% clear, no, I do not wish to do the event. ;-)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    suziecue20 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    The English language is (obviously) spoken in many places besides England, so I don't get the point of saying the English language is the English language. Also, like all languages, it has changed over time and will continue to do so. Shakespeare couldn't even figure out how to spell his own name, surely we can have our diverse spellings and preferences about them.

Unrelated point -- I really want to go to Wales.

Go to a field, with sheep ...pour a bucket of water on your head ..it will be a close enough representation

;)

Ah Wales - where the men are men and the sheep are frightened >:)

Reminds me of this (best literary prize, btw): http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2000/nov/15/books.booksnews
    A small London publishing house was ecstatic last night about its star author's double whammy. After the surprise appearance on the Booker Prize short list of Irish-American author Brian O'Doherty, his first novel The Deposition of Father McGreevy has now achieved an even more coveted literary laurel - the shortlist for the Literary Review Bad Sex in Fiction prize.

The judges were seduced by the pulsating account of his hero's encounter with a sheep: "When I passed him he turned to look at me, and I saw those fine white lashes long enough to catch flies. Strange that a beast should have such beautiful lashes around eyes with as much expression as two marbles."
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    On a more ludicrous note, sorry for the slight off topic.
    BBC World News this week: Wales is thinking of changing some of the Welsh place-names so other denizens of the isle can pronounce them. Incredible!
    What do they do when they go abroad?

Glad you kept your comment current @rabbitjb by including the extra moisture. Well worth the coffee spit.

Cheers, h.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    edited January 2016
    brower47 wrote: »
    Orphia wrote: »
    I will probably still think less of people if they reply to an OP without reading the other replies.

Sorry, not sorry.

I'm sure your opinion of me must be in the gutter then @Orphia :bigsmile: because almost the only fun I now get out of foruming on MFP is thread bingo

read OP
    answer
    read up and see who I've agreed with, disagreed with and unconsciously insulted

since we are now devoid of any form of personality I must get my jollies somewhere

bitternotbitter

I almost created a thread titled, "Is there anyone else out there that purposely only reads the OP before commenting?"

I thought I was the only one. I'm glad to know I'm not.

Wait, I thought we were only supposed to respond to the OP and not talk to, argue with, or reply to other posters?

I resolve to use more gifs within the context of thoughtful replies because I refuse to allow that user to ruin my forums.

ETA: this resolution would be much easier if I could figure out how to copy image locations from my phone...
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    auddii wrote: »
    I will probably still think less of people if they reply to an OP without reading the other replies.

Sorry, not sorry.

I'm sure your opinion of me must be in the gutter then @Orphia :bigsmile: because almost the only fun I now get out of foruming on MFP is thread bingo

read OP
    answer

since we are now devoid of any form of personality I must get my jollies somewhere

bitternotbitter

I almost created a thread titled, "Is there anyone else out there that purposely only reads the OP before commenting?"

Wait, I thought we were only supposed to respond to the OP and not talk to, argue with, or reply to other posters?

I resolve to use more gifs within the context of thoughtful replies because I refuse to allow that user to ruin my forums.

ETA: this resolution would be much easier if I could figure out how to copy image locations from my phone...

Your reply needs more GIF

0272394507e4687b380bfdb2bff52a4e2d9aafc01a6910b3e7ad796df6f70c27.jpg
  • auddii

Sorry, not sorry.

read OP
    answer

bitternotbitter

I'm on my phone and that's where the problem comes in.

Ha, and I didn't even realize you posted an image until I quoted you because the app is still broken...
  • auddii
    I don't live in England either Carlos. I live in Wales [which has its own language] but the English language is the English language.

Yes, but everyone gave up on your language because someone forgot all the vowels.
  • middlehaitch
    The U slept in and missed the boat to the Americas.
    Cheers, h.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    I don't live in England either Carlos. I live in Wales [which has its own language] but the English language is the English language.

Do you speak both?!?!!!!
  • suziecue20
    suziecue20 Posts: 567 Member

Carlos_421 wrote: »

Do you speak both?!?!!!!

No, only Welsh ;)
  • middlehaitch
    Wow, it is a good job you can write in English @suziecue20. Or was it a talented babel fish that translated for you?

Cheers, h.
  • suziecue20
    edited January 2016
    BBC World News this week: Wales is thinking of changing some of the Welsh place-names so other denizens of the isle can pronounce them. Incredible!

Glad you kept your comment current @rabbitjb by including the extra moisture. Well worth the coffee spit.

Cheers, h.

Oh I have no trouble pronouncing place names when I'm abroad h, compared to llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwyll-llantysiliogogogoch they're no trouble.
    Wow, it is a good job you can write in English @suziecue20. Or was it a talented babel fish that translated for you?

Cheers, h.

Babel fish are very nutritious.

• middlehaitch
    @suziecue20 it was the other inhabitants of Britain they were trying to appease, not the Welsh, so I was wondering what the non-welsh did when they travelled abroad.
    Ooh I remember as a child trying to pronounce that. Still can't.

Cheers, h.
  • suziecue20
    edited January 2016
    @suziecue20 it was the other inhabitants of Britain they were trying to appease, not the Welsh, so I was wondering what the non-welsh did when they travelled abroad.
    Ooh I remember as a child trying to pronounce that. Still can't.

Cheers, h.

I see your point. In my view this is just more wasted money - I live in a predominately English speaking part of Wales but EVERYTHING - road signs, place names, is shown in English and Welsh. All official documentation is sent in English and Welsh - such a waste of money and trees!

I am English h but live in and love Wales. I've been here for over 30 years and am quite used to pronouncing Welsh names but even the name of my village is half a mile long lol

It costs nothing to enter Wales but you get charged when you leave - toll bridge = £6.50 - I'm too poor to leave ;)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Free the Welsh One

I can see the campaign now

I can raid my penny jar if it'll help :bigsmile:
  • suziecue20
    Oh, thank you rabbit and maybe T-shirts would help?
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Gah. Regimen/regiment.

And regime.

Every time someone says "exercise regime" I think of Kim Jong Il wearing sweatbands.

I saw regime today and immediately thought of Hitler.

I wanna try the Hitler diet. .......yeah.
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member

Sorry, not sorry.

read OP
    answer

bitternotbitter

Ha, and I didn't even realize you posted an image until I quoted you because the app is still broken...

The app has been broken for me for over a year. Devs be like WE WORKIN ON IT SORRY FOR DA INCONVENIENCE

F off.
  • auddii
    edited January 2016

Sorry, not sorry.

read OP
    answer

bitternotbitter

The app has been broken for me for over a year. Devs be like WE WORKIN ON IT SORRY FOR DA INCONVENIENCE

F off.

But, round avi's!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRuI3K5oxWd8Uky5_wsVTfe-8NOGm3CcE1tMTZ6i4tIhyzGfx1eMw

ETA: there are limited options when googling images for "round better than square". I'm still trying to figure out why the pear of anguish came up...
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member

Cheers, h.

Oh I have no trouble pronouncing place names when I'm abroad h, compared to llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwyll-llantysiliogogogoch they're no trouble.

Cheers, h.

Babel fish are very nutritious.

If that's a real place I definitely want to go there!