MFP New Years Resolutions (the lighter side)

Replies

• brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    suziecue20 wrote: »
    I don't live in England either Carlos. I live in Wales [which has its own language] but the English language is the English language.

And it's fluid. The English you speak today varies (from slightly to greatly) from the English spoken by people 100, 200, 500, 1000 years ago.

I resolve to embrace change. Just like the Oxford dictionary that added this list of words last year. A couple funny ones were the b word that begins with bukk and the frist two f words.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Gah. Regimen/regiment.

And regime.

Every time someone says "exercise regime" I think of Kim Jong Il wearing sweatbands.

I saw regime today and immediately thought of Hitler.

I wanna try the Hitler diet. .......yeah.

I need a gif of Richard Simmons doing the salute.
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    auddii wrote: »
    brower47 wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Orphia wrote: »
    I will probably still think less of people if they reply to an OP without reading the other replies.

Sorry, not sorry.

I'm sure your opinion of me must be in the gutter then @Orphia :bigsmile: because almost the only fun I now get out of foruming on MFP is thread bingo

read OP
    answer
    read up and see who I've agreed with, disagreed with and unconsciously insulted

since we are now devoid of any form of personality I must get my jollies somewhere

bitternotbitter

I almost created a thread titled, "Is there anyone else out there that purposely only reads the OP before commenting?"

I thought I was the only one. I'm glad to know I'm not.

Wait, I thought we were only supposed to respond to the OP and not talk to, argue with, or reply to other posters?

I resolve to use more gifs within the context of thoughtful replies because I refuse to allow that user to ruin my forums.

ETA: this resolution would be much easier if I could figure out how to copy image locations from my phone...

Your reply needs more GIF

0272394507e4687b380bfdb2bff52a4e2d9aafc01a6910b3e7ad796df6f70c27.jpg

I'm on my phone and that's where the problem comes in.

Ha, and I didn't even realize you posted an image until I quoted you because the app is still broken...

The app has been broken for me for over a year. Devs be like WE WORKIN ON IT SORRY FOR DA INCONVENIENCE

F off.

But, round avi's!

All i see are....4 light gray lines outlining....nothing.

And i NEVER see gifs or pics anymore. It's very disappointing. I have no idea what my own picture is! Lol
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Which is why i resolve to never buy the premium version. :D
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    On a more ludicrous note, sorry for the slight off topic.
    BBC World News this week: Wales is thinking of changing some of the Welsh place-names so other denizens of the isle can pronounce them. Incredible!
    What do they do when they go abroad?

Glad you kept your comment current @rabbitjb by including the extra moisture. Well worth the coffee spit.

Cheers, h.

Oh I have no trouble pronouncing place names when I'm abroad h, compared to llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwyll-llantysiliogogogoch they're no trouble.
    Wow, it is a good job you can write in English @suziecue20. Or was it a talented babel fish that translated for you?

Cheers, h.

Babel fish are very nutritious.

If that's a real place I definitely want to go there!

Apparently it is:
    1280px-Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch-railway-station-sign-2011-09-21-GR2_1837a.JPG
  • suziecue20
    suziecue20 Posts: 567 Member
    BBC World News this week: Wales is thinking of changing some of the Welsh place-names so other denizens of the isle can pronounce them. Incredible!

Glad you kept your comment current @rabbitjb by including the extra moisture. Well worth the coffee spit.

Cheers, h.

Oh I have no trouble pronouncing place names when I'm abroad h, compared to llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwyll-llantysiliogogogoch they're no trouble.
    Wow, it is a good job you can write in English @suziecue20. Or was it a talented babel fish that translated for you?

Cheers, h.

It is a real place Carlos but you'd better brush up on your Welsh, even the sheep speak it there!

• Carlos_421

Cheers, h.

Cheers, h.

Apparently it is:
    1280px-Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch-railway-station-sign-2011-09-21-GR2_1837a.JPG

Cheers, h.

Cheers, h.

It is a real place Carlos but you'd better brush up on your Welsh, even the sheep speak it there!

Hellooooo Bucket List!!!!
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    My dad used to call it LLanfairPG, but he was of a generation where speaking Welsh was considered a sign of the uneducated. He also used to say that he was from "Proper Wales", meaning the south LOL!
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    brower47 wrote: »
    I don't live in England either Carlos. I live in Wales [which has its own language] but the English language is the English language.

And it's fluid. The English you speak today varies (from slightly to greatly) from the English spoken by people 100, 200, 500, 1000 years ago.

I resolve to embrace change. Just like the Oxford dictionary that added this list of words last year. A couple funny ones were the b word that begins with bukk and the frist two f words.

And im so proud of myself! I commented on a post without reading to the end!

*mission accomplished
  • suziecue20
    edited January 2016
    My dad used to call it LLanfairPG, but he was of a generation where speaking Welsh was considered a sign of the uneducated. He also used to say that he was from "Proper Wales", meaning the south LOL!

Its gone all the other way now CurlyCockney = all the posh English parents in Wales send their kids to Welsh speaking schools. It's ever so PC [politically correct] to learn Welsh.

• llUndecidedll
    llUndecidedll Posts: 724 Member
    I will stop shaking my head at posters who respond without reading the original post in its entirety. It's like once their eyes see a certain phrase or term, they ignore the rest of the post which leads to them giving a 'straight' answer that wasn't needed.

I will also stop shaking my head at posters who respond to other posters with comments such as "this isn't fitness/diet/forum related" when they themselves make such posts that are not related to the forum topic.

• Carlos_421
    I will stop shaking my head at posters who respond without reading the original post in its entirety. It's like once their eyes see a certain phrase or term, they ignore the rest of the post which leads to them giving a 'straight' answer that wasn't needed.

I will also stop shaking my head at posters who respond to other posters with comments such as "this isn't fitness/diet/forum related" when they themselves make such posts that are not related to the forum topic.

I resolve to shake my head more than ever (to burn calories).

Related: In my head, I always respond to the thread title itself and then I'm disappointed that my answer would actually have nothing to do with the OP itself.
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member

Its gone all the other way now CurlyCockney = all the posh English parents in Wales send their kids to Welsh speaking schools. It's ever so PC [politically correct] to learn Welsh.

I think that's a good idea, as it's a shame to lose languages. I believe the Cornish do the same. Even here, in Cockneyland, it's not seen as uneducated to use colloquialisms or rhyming slang any more (mainly thanks to television seeing us as 'trendy' for a while). I wouldn't want correct English to suffer as a consequence though.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member

Related: In my head, I always respond to the thread title itself and then I'm disappointed that my answer would actually have nothing to do with the OP itself.

Don't forget to log it 'yo
  • Carlos_421
    edited January 2016

Don't forget to log it 'yo

Nah, I roll TDEE.

ETA: Then again, as much as head shaking could add up, I guess I need to raise my goal by a few hundred calories...
  • suziecue20
    I resolve to post more on the boards in 2016. People constantly go on about snarky this and snarky that but this thread has shown me that there is intelligence, knowledge, wit [how I admire that] and a good old sense of humour around....hooray!!!
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    I resolve to post more on the boards in 2016. People constantly go on about snarky this and snarky that but this thread has shown me that there is intelligence, knowledge, wit [how I admire that] and a good old sense of humour around....hooray!!!
    u spelt homur wrung

• suziecue20
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    u spelt homur wrung

Oh no I didn't....oh yes you did...oh no I didn't......

• suziecue20

I think that's a good idea, as it's a shame to lose languages. I believe the Cornish do the same. Even here, in Cockneyland, it's not seen as uneducated to use colloquialisms or rhyming slang any more (mainly thanks to television seeing us as 'trendy' for a while). I wouldn't want correct English to suffer as a consequence though.

I lived and worked in London for years and love the Cockney rhyming slang - I've just had a cup of rosie lee before going up the apple and pears to brush my barnet fair....
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    u spelt homur wrung

Oh no I didn't....oh yes you did...oh no I didn't......

We have a Burnley man; local f-u-t-b-o-l coach. I have learned spiked, mashed, and other terms mean different things to an Englishman versus a 'Merican.