55-65 year old women's success?

Options

Replies

• trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    You got this, @krenwren! One step at a time -- eliminating or limiting the white food sounds like a plan.
  • griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    @krenwren, I would start w/limiting; going "cold turkey" sometimes has tendency to backfire and you end up binging. Also, you may want to track how much sugar (white carbs are high in it) you are actually eating. Good luck & keep us posyed! B)
  • Betsey206
    Betsey206 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    you can add me.
  • subs54
    subs54 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hello all! Very interesting posts. I am 57 years old and had kept the same weight for about 5 years until last year when I gained 7 pounds, currently at 164, need to go down to 140. I eat a good diet and exercise at least 3 times a week. I feel that my metabolism went on vacation and never came back. My doctor have cheched tyroid, cortisol levels, etc, and everything is normal. I walk 1 hr on the treadmill and do zumba. I just started yoga (3 clases already) hoping it will help.
  • krenwren
    krenwren Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    @griffinca2 I know you have mentioned the sugar issue, do you separate out naturally occurring sugars? I am trying to substitute fruit for snacks.
  • griffinca2
    Options
    @krenwren, I didn't at first; I limited all sugar to between 45 & 60 gm a day. I have gone back to adding low sugar fruits (Fuji & Gala apples are both low in sugar & cals), but trying to keep the added sugars low as possible. There are sites that list the amt of sugar in foods--check them out. White potatoes & white bread are the worst; also watch your ingredients for added sugars. You may have to experiment to see what works for you. BTW, I still enjoy cake, cookies, etc., only in limited amounts. Haven't put any weight back on (in fact I lost some) even though I'm not exercising. When they operated on my wrist they put a plate & a pin in it; the pin is still in & won't come out until they take the cast off on the 22nd. The pin has a knob on the outside that presses against the cast & is very uncomfortable. Needless to say, my muscle s have turned to mush! May be able to re-gain some mass once I get back to exercising. B)
  • going2befit4ever
    going2befit4ever Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Glad I discovered this thread hope that I canbe as successful as you guys
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,370 Member
    Options
    krenwren wrote: »
    @griffinca2 I know you have mentioned the sugar issue, do you separate out naturally occurring sugars? I am trying to substitute fruit for snacks.

I'm not who you asked, but FWIW as a data point: I go over MFP's default sugar allowance every day, and most days the only "added sugar" I eat is 1T of all-fruit spread (30 cals) that has some concentrated fruit juice in it. The rest of the sugar comes from fruit and dairy products. I'm seeing no ill effects. I've lost 60 pounds since April 2015 (am very close to goal weight), and my lipid panel results have gone from quite bad to firmly in the normal range (actual numbers are on my profile).

Others' mileage may vary.

P.S. I do eat cake or what-have-you occasionally. I kind of worked my way out of cravings for hyper-sweet foods (candy, etc.) by eating more fruit, and now just don't find sugar-y things wonderful enough to include in my eating every day. I don't think there's anything wrong with eating them, for those who favor them, as long as the total nutrition picture is good.
  • krenwren
    Options
    thanks @AnnPT77! I have a bad concentrated sugar habit that took me surprise when I decided to try to cut it out. I get a sugar craving that I want to try satisfying with fruit! Good to know you had success with naturally occuring sugars!
  • JanetMMcC
    JanetMMcC Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    @krenwren - one of my favorite sweet treats is a cup of vanilla yogurt - non-fat but either plain or Greek - with a cup of frozen cherries (make sure they don't have added sugar). Other frozen fruits work, too, but cherries, for some reason, never freeze hardhardhard. And when you mix them into Greek nonfat yogurt, some of the yogurt freezes into an almost ice-cream texture. It's a huge serving for about 100 to 130 cals for the yogurt plus about 80 for the cherries.

If it's sweetness you crave, yogurt with orange flavored "Milk Magic" or other brands of milk flavoring tastes like a Dreamsicle. And the chocolate flavor in coffee is a no-cal mocha.

• airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    Slow & steady, one day, one pound, one step at a time....at our age (I'm 56) the skin does not have the elasticity it did when we were younger to snap back as the weight comes off & it will come off. Speaking for myself, I'd carried my weight for at least 3 decades before I got the face slap diagnosis I needed to get myself on the right track (type 2) back in 2012.

It is doable though, I pre plan/pre log and make what I want to eat (i.e no deprivation) fit within my daily goals.

It's never too late, we are older but wiser and we're all here for the same reason.

6zzu1ek3zcbx.png
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Woo hoo @airangel59!!! Great job! You are right, one step, day, pound at a time and it IS doable! Now what do we do with the spare skin? (hahaha)
  • 1Nana2many
    1Nana2many Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Please allow me to add to this thread/group! I just found MFP a couple weeks ago and have been logging religiously for the last 1 1/2 weeks. I retired a year ago last October 1st and gained to an all-time high of 244.7 pounds. In 2005 my husband and I both attended WW meetings and I lost 50 pounds, but just felt like I would be forever going to meetings and that is really not my thing. I wish I would have found MFP long ago! It helps me so much to be able to see exactly how many calories I am eating and I don't really feel deprived. I am struggling to get enough water in, but I am improving...up to 6 cups a day now. I am sticking pretty close to 1200 per day even with the occasional chocolate chip cookie included. I know I can do this! I just need to keep my head in the plan! I have been inspired by reading this thread and it has been a joy to find people in my own age and place in life! Thank you all for sharing your stories! Good luck and God bless!
  • griffinca2
    Options
    Congrats on your retirement! You can do it, and you have the right attitude--not depriving yourself. It is abt one day at a time and a lifestyle not a diet with an end date. BTW, we are all here for you!! B)
  • trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    @1Nana2many, retirement is awesome! Time to put yourself first and get fit! I'm also a former Weight Watcher and I've had much more sustainable success with MFP. Counting calories puts you in control and knowledgeable about what works for you.
  • krenwren
    Options
    Welcome @1Nana2many, this thread has been so helpful for my journey too. Great bunch of folks with a lot of great success! I hope I can tell my success story later this year!
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    @1Nana2many, welcome! You are in a safe and wonderful place!
  • Imomw2016
    Imomw2016 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies, I'm 47 and am just starting menopause. Those hot flashes are a delight aren't they?

I would like to thank each of you for sharing your experiences so eloquently and many times with a nice touch of humour! There are some points to ponder as I go through menopause and things to consider for long term health that I would not have understood had I not read this post.

Many thanks!

• deb9615
    deb9615 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I'm also 47 and have been peri-menopausal for just over a year now. Hot flushes have subsided a little but my boobs feel so heavy all the time and I've gained weight but admittedly have been eating too many calories. TIme to get out the food scales and log everything to ensure a calorie deficit. I've got about 2 stone to lose before I'll feel slim again.
  • Jess830409
    Jess830409 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies - I am actually 32 - BUT HEAR ME OUT lol :-)

I am a breast cancer survivor of 5 years, and about 2 years ago I had my ovaries removed - throwing me into surgical Menopause. Every since then it has been a roller coaster. What used to work for me as far as food choices and exercise, doesn't seem to make a dent anymore. I have put on 30 lbs in those two years - despite running a few half marathons and one full marathon - and strength training 2-3 times a week consistently.
    I feel like I am starting all over again - and I truly believe that the hormone imbalance is to blame.
    But I am trying not to get discouraged, and reading this thread has helped me.
    There is a way to get rid of this weight, I just have to find the right post-menopausal path!
    Thanks ladies - best wishes to all!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!