"Totally Tall" Women of MFP (5'9" and up) Open Group

Options

Replies

• KJ514
    KJ514 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    What a great thread! I am 5' 10" and am trying to lose 30lbs. I agree with so many of the things posted here! I have also noticed that it seems harder for me to do some of the exercises at the pilates class I go to. My legs are longer and so my center of balance is different the the shorties. It is a lot harder to hold longs legs a few inches off the floor than it is short legs. I still keep trying. Maybe it will get easier.
    Karen
  • squishyjenn
    squishyjenn Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9" and 1/2! I also have a large frame but my goal weight is still 160. My shoe size is almost always 11 but recently I had a NSV and fit into a pair of supah-cute 10's (most stores of course don't go above 10) I currently weigh 251.
  • KristinLynn25
    Options
    Hey! Hope everyone had a good wkd!! I have to comment on the attracting shorter guys thing... b/c I always had that problem when I was single... and that was back when I was skinny too! All I wanted was a tall guy, and the only guys that wanted me were the shrimps!

I started a walk2run program tonight, it is a 10 week program... my goal is to increase my pace and be able to finish a race w/o walking!!

I saw some of you exercise twice a day! Wow! My question is are you trying to hit a certain calorie burn/day and you are just splitting up the time? Or do you just always do twice/day?? I really want to get this weight off, so any tips will be greatly appreciated!
  • vetsnatural
    vetsnatural Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Hi KristinLynn25, I would like to do two a days because I typically work out (Walk 90mins -6+ miles) in the mornings. So when I get off work around 6pm unless I have to bowl or run errands I am bored. No need sitting around, I would like to workout in the evenings and eat light and hit the sack by 10pm so that I can get up at 4:45 or so to walk. I love walking before the sun gets too strong. I am in MD and the sun and humidity in the summer is rough.

I burn anywhere between 600-700 calories in the morning and would like to burn another 300-500 if not more in the evenings. I am afraid that I will not eat enough healthy calories if I burn too many and don't eat enough back. Snacking or protein shakes will have to be put in my regimen for sure. I want to do a bit of strength training as well.

Hope all this helps.
  • chinkybrown
    Options
    Hello beautiful Amazons!

I'm 5' 9.5"...but round up to 5' 10"...lol I wear a size 10 shoe. I absolutely LOVE being tall. I wear the highest heel possible! As many of you have stated I'm the tall one in my group of friends...but it doesn't bother me. I think my height seperates me from many. As far as suggestions on jeans... I recently purchased some Express Jeans (size 12...which I'm too geeked about) but anyway they are talls called "Skyscraper" and they truly make my legs look long and lean! I was complimented on them as soon as I put the on.

Good luck to everyone on their weight loss journey! :-)
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Hey! Hope everyone had a good wkd!! I have to comment on the attracting shorter guys thing... b/c I always had that problem when I was single... and that was back when I was skinny too! All I wanted was a tall guy, and the only guys that wanted me were the shrimps!

I started a walk2run program tonight, it is a 10 week program... my goal is to increase my pace and be able to finish a race w/o walking!!

I saw some of you exercise twice a day! Wow! My question is are you trying to hit a certain calorie burn/day and you are just splitting up the time? Or do you just always do twice/day?? I really want to get this weight off, so any tips will be greatly appreciated!

Hi. I do two-a-days mostly because I split up my workouts. I do my cardio/HIIT work in the morning and then I do my strength training in the evening. I just think that my calorie burn is more effective like this and I also think I get in a better workout. If I go over an hour for a workout I think my performance lessens.
  • BigBoneSista
    Options
    Hello beautiful Amazons!

I'm 5' 9.5"...but round up to 5' 10"...lol I wear a size 10 shoe. I absolutely LOVE being tall. I wear the highest heel possible! As many of you have stated I'm the tall one in my group of friends...but it doesn't bother me. I think my height seperates me from many. As far as suggestions on jeans... I recently purchased some Express Jeans (size 12...which I'm too geeked about) but anyway they are talls called "Skyscraper" and they truly make my legs look long and lean! I was complimented on them as soon as I put the on.

Good luck to everyone on their weight loss journey! :-)

I just got into a size 14. If I get in to a 12...awwww man its a wrap. I haven't been a size 14 since 9th grade. But I also had a athletic build. I ran hurdles, 1600 meter relay, shot put, discus and played basket ball. My body was solid. Well not anymore lol Its a whole different size 14.
  • BigBoneSista
    Options
    Hello ladies! Its Wednesday...HUMP DAY! We are half way through the week. How is everyone doing with their journey to a healthier you?

Well I'm really just trying to figure out what my end goal should be. I have it set for 180 but I see other 5'11" ladies in here shooting for much lower...most I've seen are shooting for 165 so maybe I should shoot for 170 next. I don't know. I am focusing more on my body fat. I'm hoping by this time next year I will be in either the lower 20's or in the teens. Right now according to my handheld body fat monitor I'm 31.6%.

Other than that I'm doing ok. Nothing to really complain about at the moment. Just trying to stay focus daily.
  • Kimmer2011
    Kimmer2011 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Really interesting question. My "end goal" is to get to 199, lower than I've been since I came back from Switzerland (was really healthy then!). I was about 220 when I got married, and reasonably happy with that, so I don't know how I'll feel below 200. When I get to that point, I'll reevaluate. Maybe I'll want to lose more, maybe I'll try to maintain there. According to BMI, I should get to 175 or so, but I just can't imagine that.
  • noni77
    noni77 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Hi :smile:

I've just joined MFP and saw this thread tonight. I'm 6" and currently 155 kgs (342 pounds). Last October I was 166 kgs (366 pounds) and without trying too hard I was 156.5 kgs at the beginning of May 2011 - I hadn't realised myself I had shed those 10kgs/22 pounds until I started tracking on here on the weekend. :blushing:

I figure if anyone is going to understand someone not noticing they had shed that much weight over 7 months :laugh: it would be MFP members on this thread! :wink:

I'm almost 46 - and I'd like to get back to the weight I was 10 years after the birth of my second child. That was 77 kgs (170 pounds). That would mean I'd probably go from a Australian size 26 to a size 12. :bigsmile:

Anyway, feel free to friend me - though I'm sure I'll get lots of support and give some from keeping up with this thread.
  • ravenclawseekergirl
    ravenclawseekergirl Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, it's nice to see a thread that caters to us tall people. Like someone said before it's hard listening to shorter people who have lost the same amount of weight talking about going down X amount of dress sizes. I've lost 25 pounds but might have gone down one ?
    I used to be 5ft 11 1/2 tall but with the weight that i've put on my spines compressed and curled slightky meaning that i now measure 5ft 10. Cant wait till that's sorted it'self out.

@Kimmer2011 I can't imagine myself being in the 170's either. To be honest i cant imagine myself being less than 200 pounds.
  • PhoenixRising17
    PhoenixRising17 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Its official this website has it ALL! lol WOOHOO for us tall people!!! I never really thought about how different it is for a taller person losing weight as opposed to a shorter person but now it definitely makes sense...just wanting to say hi to everyone I am 5'11 and currently weigh 350 lbs...I look forward to getting to know others that share my weight loss goals and struggles! Lets do this!!
  • lizzybethclaire
    lizzybethclaire Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    lol, I am a week late with my regiment but here it is:

I go to the gym at least 6 days a week, but I do try for every single day.

I do the cardio at the gym for 33 minutes.

I strength train every other day (as much as I can)

At least twice a week I do 60 minutes of Cardio at the gym.

I want to start taking the Pilates class, but I am nervous about being in a group. I am borrowing a DVD from the library that I will use until I am comfortable enough to go to the class. I also want to try spinning.
  • allenlisa
    allenlisa Posts: 96
    Options
    I'm 5'9. I love being taller but hate clothes shopping. Shirts are a pain too because I'm big chested as well. It is nice that I can carry some weight & it's not as noticable but then that's just more to loose. I have never been below a size 7. And if I was I would look anorexic. I have 4 kids and didn't start to gain until after the 4th. My hubby and I are trying to change our lifestyle so that we can have more energy for the kids and also show them a healthy lifestyle so hopefully they will maintain it. We just started so this is a learning process and I love everyone's tips!
  • KristinLynn25
    Options
    Picking an "end goal" for me was hard. I know I will never be what I was in college - 130. I have a smaller body frame and the charts say between 130-170. When I got married almost 5 years ago I was 165 and was not happy with that, so I'm shooting for 150! Once I get there... we'll see. I know it's more important how clothes fit and how you feel then what the scale says. :)
  • ravenclawseekergirl
    ravenclawseekergirl Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I want to start taking the Pilates class, but I am nervous about being in a group. I am borrowing a DVD from the library that I will use until I am comfortable enough to go to the class. I also want to try spinning.

Ilove pilates. I dont go to classes because i'm really shy but i do it a home with the aid of a book called 'The Pilates Body' by Brooke Siler. It's a great book that has lots of different positions starting from beginner to very advanced with pictures. Pilates was something that i never thought that i would be able to do because i'm not the most flexible of people what with my joint infection, but i find as long as i slowly add things its been alright. If your doing it at home make sure that you have some sort of padding for your back, i use a yoga mat but a couple of blankets could be used as a substitute otherwise it can be really uncomfortable. If you do decide to go for a class ensure you pick one thats right for your ability level so that you arent intimidated but also so that you dont push yourself too much and end up with an injury,

Hehehe :laugh: ok so i might have gone on a bit there...:embarassed: :embarassed: :embarassed:
  • kdudz
    kdudz Posts: 39 Member
    Options

I used to do spin class twice a week before my wedding. I LOVED it!! The 50 min class flew by and I would always come out dripping in sweat.

I purchased a monthly pass to a local yoga place and I have yet to activiate it because I'm a bit intimidated by being in a group where I'm not familiar with what I'm doing.

It's funny how fitness can be intimidating.

To all the women who aren't intimidated, do you just focus on yourself? Pop in ear buds and crank the music to drown everyone out?
  • stc74
    stc74 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9", was taller, but lost height with back injury/surgery. I'm a wide shouldered busty tall woman. It probably wouldn't show so much if I wasn't taller than my husband. All my friends are shorter than me as well. It makes me feel a little giant at times. I've been as large as a sz16 but now in a 8/10 and working to get back in my 6. That is just where I landed when I got serious about losing a few years ago. I need to get serious again.
    Though no amount of dieting is going to touch my size 11 feet.:laugh:
  • AshinAms
    AshinAms Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    You might be surprised! I lost a shoe size!
    Though no amount of dieting is going to touch my size 11 feet.:laugh:
  • josieup
    josieup Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Oh, I love this group! I'm 6' tall, over 300lbs (for now!), and am definitely discouraged by the lack of dress size change even though I've lost 30lbs already. I remember my doctor being very surprised when she weighed me a few years back because I definitely don't "look" as heavy as I am.

I had my second day at the gym today, and was spending half my time learning to use the weight machines just making it so my legs could fit in. So many short girls at the gym usually, I guess!

And count me in as someone whose feet have gotten smaller, too. I wore a 12 or an 11-wide, and now a bunch of my shoes are too big for me. Gonna have to go shopping (poor me!).