55-65 year old women's success?

Options

Replies

• KareninLux
    KareninLux Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    I turn 50 this year. Found MFP 10 weeks ago. Changing my life. Read through this entire thread. Have to say...
    YOU LADIES ALL ROCK!
  • griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Jess, You are very welcome here! Try watching your sugar intake (both natural & added--especially the added), and add weight training to your running program. B)
  • Jess830409
    Jess830409 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    griffinca2 wrote: »
    Jess, You are very welcome here! Try watching your sugar intake (both natural & added--especially the added), and add weight training to your running program. B)

Thank you!! Appreciate the welcome and the tips!
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    griffinca2 wrote: »

Seconding the weight loss training and adding, make sure you get enough protein AND fat. Let the carbs fill in the rest. You need some fat to burn fat and transport most vitamins throughout your body.

I have a breast cancer survivor sister and my best friend has made it through twice, and had to have a hysterectomy to up her survival rate odds. I understand how very difficult your journey has been.

All the best in your efforts to stay fit and healthy.
  • calmandpeaceful
    calmandpeaceful Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Good morning. I just can't seem to get started on this. I was going to start early January but got thrown off by a major cold.

HOW did you get started? Any inspiration is most welcome.
  • Eleted
    Eleted Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    To Calm and Peaceful. I think it is normal to start many times. Life gets in the way. Something clicked for me last May and I have not missed a day and am down 35 lbs. Do not get discouraged and give yourself positive messages.( it really works) I read 3-4 autobiographies on peoples weight loss journeys before beginning and that inspired me. Take it one day at a time. "Just for today, I'm going to log all of my food." If you look at the whole it can be overwhelming. Good luck. Stay reading all the Success Stories!!
  • clh72569
    clh72569 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I am 4'11" and 53 years old. I started at 150 and now at 100 lbs.gj1azpm3ou4d.jpg
    dadi55wt50f5.jpg
  • 1Nana2many
    1Nana2many Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    @calmandpeaceful : It can be very difficult to get started and stay motivated. My personal opinion is that we find it so much easier to put everyone else's needs and wants ahead of our own. We apply the "some day" theory to our own needs and wants. And about half the time we're too tired to think about what we need at the end of the day. When it comes to weight loss and our personal health, we really need to reverse this thought process. We need to put a value on ourselves. I do know from walking this journey before how much better I feel when I am taking better care of myself. I have more energy to give to the ones I love when I feel better about myself. That being said, when I get tired of trying to figure out the healthy thing to eat, I have to remind myself that I AM WORTH IT! I try really hard to find foods I love and work the treats into my calories, not just throw the whole thing out the window and eat the chips. If I can work in a few chips or a little sugary treat now and then, then I still am eating the things I love AND staying on my plan. I don't have to have half a bag. I DO have to measure and weigh every bite I put in my mouth and MFP, along with the APP on my cell phone make it possible for me to do it at home and away. I am not perfect and I'm really just getting started again on my weight loss journey, but I am determined to keep moving forward on this path every day. Every day is a new day. Forgive yourself for yesterday's imperfections and start again. YOU ARE WORTH THE EFFORT! You CAN do it!
  • griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Nana & Calm, Great attitude! It is about the journey and not about the piece of cake or chips; if you eat more than you should or too much of something yummy, get back up and keep going and forget about it. B)
  • ggeise14
    ggeise14 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Don't give up. It's keeping at it each day. I lost 30 lbs five years ago and gained half back, had my thyroid removed a oouple of years ago and it's taken a bit to find the right meds/dose. I do exercise at least 6 days a week and that just helps me feel better. My goal is to lose my 5 lb holiday gain. MFP has made me aware of what works for my body and the meaning of calories. My journey started with WW and counting points, I prefer MFP.
  • calmandpeaceful
    Options
    Eleted and Nana and Gigi,
    Thank you! I have four teenagers, out of work husband, and I just started a new job in September. So, yes, I do have others to think about. Thank you for the reminder. I tend to come home and have a few glasses of wine, and my will power disappears. I work with very fit people, and take exercise classes (mainly yoga) at lunch, which is a super nice perk of the job. So during the day I am good as gold. I think I will take this weekend to try to plan out at least half of the week. GG I've also done WW and ultimately ended up learning how to cheat the system - which is stupid.

For me, I greatly appreciate the reminder that I do take care of others. I plan to get up early this week, write, meditate, get my head on before I plunge into the day. I think that will help. It's such a head game for me.
    Thanks!!!!!
    PS CLH You look beautiful!!!!
  • Cheryl7777
    Cheryl7777 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I'm 64 and will be 65 next month. I started this journey January of 2015 and found MFP in Oct of 2015. I can't exercise much because I have a bad hip and will need hip replacement surgery when my surgeon feels I've lost enough weight. Since last January I have lost 76 and a half pounds. If I can do this so can you. Just focus on today, your next meal, your next step or your next small goal. I started at 390 and weighed in this morning at 313.5. I'm 5' 4.5" for reference. Good luck everybody. It really is CICO.

• mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    @clh72569 ! Excellent! You look great! Wonderful work...shows us it can be done
  • calmandpeaceful
    Options
    Hi again everyone,
    I love reading your stories. Sisterhood of weight loss post-menopause - it ain't easy - but you are doing it and inspiring others (including me). These success stories are really amazing. It really is harder at our ages to do this. Thank you so much for sharing!!

Question - Fit Bit - Pro or Con?

On the one hand, I feel that it could motivate me (and luckily I have no health issues which would limit exercise), but on the other hand I feel like it could be intrusive and annoying. I welcome your thoughts.

• pstegman888
    pstegman888 Posts: 286 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

On the one hand, I feel that it could motivate me (and luckily I have no health issues which would limit exercise), but on the other hand I feel like it could be intrusive and annoying. I welcome your thoughts.

I love my Fitbit Flex! I'm not able to exercise vigorously or for long periods of time, so every step counts. It keeps me motivated to move more, gives me a sense of accomplishment to see the steps add up, and also made me realize I was not getting nearly enough quality sleep. In addition to being able to check my progess on my smartphone, it also sends me a weekly report. I don't consider it intrusive. It's like having a virtual personal trainer cheering you on to the next goal.

ETA: Plus, I found some really pretty Fitbit bands on ebay, so I can swap them out to match my outfit, lol!
  • candicer
    candicer Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hello all! I have been using MFP for a couple years now, off and on. Last logged on about 6 - 9 months ago. But Im back!
    57 yrs old, 5'2", 145lbs. Ive been a gymaholic for quite a few years now, but just recently (3 months ago) decided to try a personal trainer. I'm finding that I am a lot stronger than I ever thought, and even though I havent lost weight or inches, I am becoming less 'jiggly'!
    I am also a food -a - holic. I love food. Good food, bad food, any food. salty, sweet, savory, white, green, brown, red, crunchy, chewy, soft, textured, you name name it, I will most likely eat it, and quite happily. But I know that, as some one mentioned in a much earlier post, staying away from white foods is crucial for me. They are my downfall.
    The only time I was ever able to successfully loose weight was about 10 years ago, bringing my calorie count down to about 600 - 900 calories a day, and running 3 miles, 4 times a week. Not happening again. this time will have to be slow and easy. Back then, I lost about 20 pounds in 8 weeks. It was awesome! Even kept it off for about 6 years. Then menopause hit hard, and gained every bit of it back. And here I am . . . .

I am inspired so much by all of your stories, of where you all are in your journey, and how you do it every day. It is a journey, and one I have come to accept as a way of life, not just a temporary 'trip' in life. Anyway, I am glad to be back, and will be seeing you all in future posts, for inspiration and motivation!
  • merryhooves
    merryhooves Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for initiating the discussions, PianoRun, and to all for inspiring stories - hard work, setbacks, and progress.
    A friend, who is a registered nurse and whose husband is a family Doc, over 60 and until recently 60 pounds overweight, just started a blog describing her journey. It doesn't seem that its as simple as fewer calories - diet recommendations are changing to ok more fats, and cautions are offered for carbs. Anyway, friend Terry started a short blog to share what she's learned - what's worked for her - and welcomes everyone on the journey: http://veggiehiitadventure.blogspot.com
  • Triplestep
    Triplestep Posts: 239 Member
    Options

I knew that I would obsess over any fitness tracker given all the things they can measure; I'm kind of a gadget person. I really just wanted to measure calories burned, so I got a heart rate monitor - the kind with the chest strap that provides readouts on wrist watch that comes with it. I strap it on in the gym locker room, and let it run the whole time in the gym. I then record the calories burned when I get back to the locker room afterwards. I like seeing the trends and knowing I'm not guessing. I also know that I'm burning calories with vigorous yard work, walking up stairs, etc. - I just choose not to add those.

On the question of how to get started, I wish I had some wisdom. I meant to get started for years; I imagined myself losing weight for a decade. One day I just stared with a small change, then added more. I thought I was making small changes all the other times I tired and failed, but now I see I wasn't. A commitment to logging is a small change, for example - one that will lead to other small changes once you see where your calories are coming from.
  • stenny1220
    stenny1220 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone. I was on this program 3 years ago and was doing quite well. I lost 20b., then the unexpected happened-- I lost my mom in August 2012. I was fine for about 6 months, then out of nowhere, a deep depression hit. I didn't see it coming and I certainly didn't realize it was happening. Last month, Dec. was my 57th birthday and I'm not sure what happened to make my mind click, but I just woke up with a different attitude. I jumped on the scale, saw "truth" that I was sure had happened-- I was back up to 225. I looked at my tired, baggy eyes, and "tire" waist and just decided that 2016 was going to be my year to get back into a routine and start caring for ME again. I miss my mom more than anything, I know she would be so aggravated at me for just not taking care of myself the last few years. I started on a Gluten free program on Jan. 4th, and as of todays weigh in-- it was 218. I'm feeling better already, and I even did some slow dancing for about 20 min. until I ran out of breath! LOL-- Definitely out of shape and air! >:) I'm going to try very hard this year to stay on track and at least get to 150ish by the time I hit my 58th birthday! I wish everyone well on their journey, and I'll be checking in to see how you all are doing. God Bless, and keep on keeping on!!
  • krenwren
    krenwren Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    @calmandpeaceful I love my Fitbit One. I don't like to wear anything on my wrist as I work in a hospital and am constantly washing my hands plus usually have a watch on. The one can be slipped in your pocket or attached to your waistband. I do think it motivates me to get moving. If I see less than 5000 steps, I will make a point of doing a walk video or taking the pup out for a longer stroll. i recommend it highly!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!