The official nightshift thread....

Options

Replies

• Frankie_Felinius
    Frankie_Felinius Posts: 1,398 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I just entered my info into a BMI calculator (I've been losing weight due to tum trouble for awhile now and wondered where I stood) and I'm still effin' obese?

I know I said I was fat the other day (I still stand by that) but OBESE? C'mon...if you follow me on IG, you see body length shots of me...never would someone guess I was obese by looking at me....at least I think. Maybe I'm wrong but cheezus...

Honestly, it doesn't really bother me because, well...I'm full of myself apparently and I think I look pretty foxy for a chubby girl...but still...I can't imagine how I'd look at a "healthy bmi". Height-wise (5'3) I should weigh 107-138. I weight 176 now. I've been 140 and I wasn't "thin" but I was a completely normal body weight/size 8 yet I was considered slightly overweight then. I wouldn't want to BE any thinner than that because all of my voluptouessness goes bye-bye too!

Interesting...
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    @Frankie_Felinius - Very nice with the compliments on the dog and kid. :smile:

@lilaclovebird - Rockin' photo! Is that a new hair cut? It looks good. :wink:

Thank you! :blushing:

I got it cut on January 5th and donated 10 inches to Wigs for Children.

I had long 'princess hair' that I had put up or pulled back roughly 90% of the time and it seemed like a waste on me. So I donated it. I might cut it even shorter once summer gets here.

@Frankie_Felinius I was starting to see a little bit of definition from lifting so I thought I would post it up as a progress pic of sorts. Now that I'm getting more comfortable in showing more of my body.

My friend Alycia wants to take me out for my birthday. She wants to make a big deal about it and buy new outfits and dress up. So I'm thinking I might wear something short and sparkly, since I normally avoid both of those things. Maybe I'll be able to get some photos taken and post 'em up. But that's not for at least another week (2/9)
  • Frankie_Felinius
    Options
    I'd love to pinupify you if you were local! Your galpal sounds like fun!

That is awesome you were able to donate your hair!
  • BodyByBex
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I just entered my info into a BMI calculator (I've been losing weight due to tum trouble for awhile now and wondered where I stood) and I'm still effin' obese?

I know I said I was fat the other day (I still stand by that) but OBESE? C'mon...if you follow me on IG, you see body length shots of me...never would someone guess I was obese by looking at me....at least I think. Maybe I'm wrong but cheezus...

Honestly, it doesn't really bother me because, well...I'm full of myself apparently and I think I look pretty foxy for a chubby girl...but still...I can't imagine how I'd look at a "healthy bmi". Height-wise (5'3) I should weigh 107-138. I weight 176 now. I've been 140 and I wasn't "thin" but I was a completely normal body weight/size 8 yet I was considered slightly overweight then. I wouldn't want to BE any thinner than that because all of my voluptouessness goes bye-bye too!

Interesting...

No one should be going by BMI anymore anyway. It was a 'general population trend indicator' way back in the day. It is getting to where BMI doesn't amount to squat anymore in the eyes of physicians. It's not 100% out the window, but people are beginning to see it's MASSIVE failings in regards to individuals, so doctors/trainers/physical therapists/dietitians and other professionals are learning to look at other factors as good indicators of health.

I have been seeing my doctor for over 2 years now and she has never once said I needed to lose weight, despite the fact that my BMI indicated that I was obese. That is because despite my BMI being high, my body fat percentage was relatively low, I have great cholesterol and blood sugar numbers and had no indicators of major health conditions associated with my weight.

I also think she recognized that I was(am) a stubborn 20-something and I was only going to change if I wanted to and no one was going to force me. I am still "overweight" according to BMI but my body fat percentage says I'm average and healthy.

smnks8y6ot9s.jpg

im235dcyam5z.jpg

Body composition matters.
  • BodyByBex
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Here is one I see a lot on the forums:

e5bgwruv098w.jpg

This is why I do not sweat the fact that I am still almost 15 pounds overweight and despite my lifting and running I am not losing a pound. I might stay overweight for a long while because I am working at changing the overall composition of my body. I look better in photos, my clothes fit better/more loosely, and I'm losing inches.

More importantly, I can overhead press 55 pounds like it's nothing, dead lift 135 pounds, and bench press 75 pounds without much effort. I don't care so much about what my body looks like right now, although it IS looking PRETTY fabulous, I care about what it is capable of and what it can do. Right now, it can do all that AND run a 10:24 mile. I cannot WAIT to see what it is doing in a year!
  • Frankie_Felinius
    edited February 2016
    Options
    That is what my fiance and I have discussed. My legs are super muscle-y (years spent squatting as a catcher!) no matter how chubby I am. I'm a strong chick even when I don't work out so I know my muscle weight is a factor. My fiance is the same way. Well, he is not overweight at all but he "is". He and I both have had docs comment on how we didn't look how they expected us to look when they saw our H/W on our chart before seeing us...assumed we'd be fat..(or fatter)! I was told "I wear my weight well" by a doc...lol...that was when I was 200ish.
  • moya_bleh
    moya_bleh Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    8:40am here in the UK. Where are all you guys from? I could have done with your company a few hours ago as I've been awake all night with a nasty infection!
  • BodyByBex
    Options
    That is what my fiance and I have discussed. My legs are super muscle-y (years spent squatting as a catcher!) no matter how chubby I am. I'm a strong chick even when I don't work out so I know my muscle weight is a factor. My fiance is the same way. Well, he is not overweight at all but he "is". He and I both have had docs comment on how we didn't look how they expected us to look when they saw our H/W on our chart before seeing us...assumed we'd be fat..(or fatter)! I was told "I wear my weight well" by a doc...lol...that was when I was 200ish.

SSP was apparently discussing this with a buddy of his while he is in Houston and that's how the new profile picture actually came to be.

He said his friend can't believe I'm actually in the 160's because I don't look it at all. :smiley:
  • Frankie_Felinius
    Options
    How tall are you?
  • BodyByBex
    Options
    How tall are you?

5'6"
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,205 Member
    Options
    According to the BMI I'm obese. I rode the Huckelberry 100 (100 miles) and the Koocanusa (82 miles) a month apart. Does that sound like an obese guy? I admit I'm overweight, but I don't think I would call it obese. The BMI is a measurement for average bodies. And how many people are average? Body fat is a better measure.
  • Frankie_Felinius
    Options
    My fiance rides his bike like a madman. He was a BMX kid so he street rides now but he goes full force. He's in damn good shape...but he is right in the middle of the overweight category. When I was riding, I'd do 10 miles easily and did a good 20+ a time or two...obese...hmph....

Thouuuggghhhh my body fat is probably still gonna call me overweight, rightfully so but not obese...
  • Frankie_Felinius
    Options
    Just found some e-mails from my boss to his boss saying I quit "mostly over paychecks". Wrong. Already had a job offer prior to that debacle. Also the regional manager sounded a bit snarky asking if "they control the weather". He asked why my fiance isn't qutting.

On a good note, my boss asked checks to be sent out on Wednesdays (from NE to IA) instead of Thursdays...so you're welcome guys...hopefully it works out for ya. At least something positive came outta this...
  • Frankie_Felinius
    Options
    moya_bleh wrote: »
    8:40am here in the UK. Where are all you guys from? I could have done with your company a few hours ago as I've been awake all night with a nasty infection!

Midwest 'murica... :/

• BodyByBex
    edited February 2016
    Options
    GOOD MORNING!

So I was supposed to be at the Smithville Campus with PSO Fernandez tonight. However, beginning of the shift, we get a phone call from PSO Gerwick(Miss Magic-Thyroid-Pill) and she has a migraine.
    I've had migraines before. They suck. Like SUPER suck. I can't move without being nauseous, light goes straight through to sear into the back of my skull, and most times a pin dropping on carpet is too much noise.
    How she made it to work, is beyond me. How she only gets migraines on Tuesdays or Sundays(her scheduled days off are Friday and Saturday) is beyond me. But she has FMLA and that means when she gets a migraine she basically gets to go/stay home without repercussions.

So, while I initially showed up to work at Smithville, I ended up driving back to Bastrop to finish out this shift. Yay.

The bright side:
    - I get to be on the forums now as much as I want. :grin:
    - I get better vending machines which means HUMMUS with carrots. :smiley:
    - I get more calls for service today. :blush:

Seriously though, I don't like worthless people. She earns and burns her PTO and now she gets to call in sick whenever claiming 'migraine' status.
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    Thank goodness none of my staff are like that. Most would be at work if they had Ebola. We have to send them home to keep them from being contagious to others, but if we needed them, they would work hard, right next to the bathroom or garbage can. :smile:
  • ladymeldrum82
    ladymeldrum82 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Night-shifter for life here :) I tell my family & friends to blame the Portuguese in me- totally on Portugal time, even though I've lived in the Western U.S. all my life...
  • BodyByBex
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Thank goodness none of my staff are like that. Most would be at work if they had Ebola. We have to send them home to keep them from being contagious to others, but if we needed them, they would work hard, right next to the bathroom or garbage can. :smile:

I am like that and I have worked right next to the garbage can, making it through the shift. Hell my last job, I came to work with strep...until the regional manager(who was one to not 'let us' take sick days) came in, saw me, and told me to go see a doctor.

He was an *kitten*. One of the greatest satisfactions of my life was sending my resignation e-mail knowing full well the only other person who could run that office was resigning at the same time. :naughty:
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    Night-shifter for life here :) I tell my family & friends to blame the Portuguese in me- totally on Portugal time, even though I've lived in the Western U.S. all my life...

That's funny. :smile: I tell my family it's why I would never go to bed as a kid.
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    @lilaclovebird - that's because you're one bad *kitten* Mother would don't take no crap off nobody! :smile: