The official nightshift thread....

Options

Replies

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    The great thing about my line of work is that the schedule is super consistent and stable. The bad thing is, it's really hard to get time off. I've work with the flu, with food poisoning, on prescription pain meds more than once, when I was so tired I was afraid to drive home, etc.
  • hamptontom
    hamptontom Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    my job is so non-taxing, both physically and mentally most of the time, that the only real difference between taking a sick day and coming in to work would be horizontal status versus sitting upright.

and frankly, if i got inventive, i could probably eradicate that difference as well.

so it'd be kinda pointless for me to take PTO or not come in and stick one of my co-workers with having to stick around, just so i could do nothing at home instead of doing damn near nothing here.

having said that, this might be my favorite "day gig" ever. as long as there's coverage if something goes haywire, they're happy...and i have a ton of freedom.

plus...i'm literally the only one on the entire floor of the building after 5:30pm or so.

• hamptontom
    hamptontom Posts: 536 Member
    Options

So I was supposed to be at the Smithville Campus with PSO Fernandez tonight. However, beginning of the shift, we get a phone call from PSO Gerwick(Miss Magic-Thyroid-Pill) and she has a migraine.

Seriously though, I don't like worthless people. She earns and burns her PTO and now she gets to call in sick whenever claiming 'migraine' status.

maybe those migraines are brought about by her magic thyroid pills? :)

• jennifer_417
    Options
    @lilaclovebird -I'm super jealous of your OHP. It took me 6 months last time I was lifting to go from the sissy bar to the regular Olympic bar. I can DL like nobody's business, tho.
  • jennifer_417
    Options
    hamptontom wrote: »
    my job is so non-taxing, both physically and mentally most of the time, that the only real difference between taking a sick day and coming in to work would be horizontal status versus sitting upright.

and frankly, if i got inventive, i could probably eradicate that difference as well.

so it'd be kinda pointless for me to take PTO or not come in and stick one of my co-workers with having to stick around, just so i could do nothing at home instead of doing damn near nothing here.

having said that, this might be my favorite "day gig" ever. as long as there's coverage if something goes haywire, they're happy...and i have a ton of freedom.

plus...i'm literally the only one on the entire floor of the building after 5:30pm or so.
    Yeah, I can't say that my job is super stressful or taxing, though it has had it's moments... And, as long as I don't sleep or leave the front desk w/out the portable phone, I can move around pretty freely. There are cameras everywhere, but it's not like Imma do anything I don't want seen on camera, anyway, and if I did, well I know where they're not recording...

• bethanie0825
    bethanie0825 Posts: 1,474 Member
    Options

So I was supposed to be at the Smithville Campus with PSO Fernandez tonight. However, beginning of the shift, we get a phone call from PSO Gerwick(Miss Magic-Thyroid-Pill) and she has a migraine.

Seriously though, I don't like worthless people. She earns and burns her PTO and now she gets to call in sick whenever claiming 'migraine' status.

I'm still waiting to find out what those magic pills are :D

I've been told I carry my weight well to but I think it always has a lot to do with posture and even what kind of clothing you wear. I wear pants that fit and are bootcut, always on the darker side of dye. My shirts aren't too tight either and I prefer them to come down to almost the top of my hips. Helps camo my belly lol. I'm obese, no doubt about it. But I still have a waist and use my hubby soloflex when I can to help with muscle building. I love feeling the burn.
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,215 Member
    Options

LOL. :-) I wish I had a job that laid back. :smile:
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options

I'm still waiting to find out what those magic pills are :D

I've been told I carry my weight well to but I think it always has a lot to do with posture and even what kind of clothing you wear. I wear pants that fit and are bootcut, always on the darker side of dye. My shirts aren't too tight either and I prefer them to come down to almost the top of my hips. Helps camo my belly lol. I'm obese, no doubt about it. But I still have a waist and use my hubby soloflex when I can to help with muscle building. I love feeling the burn.

I also get the "carry your weight well" thing too. At my heaviest people would estimate I was upper 300's lower 400's when in reality I was close to 500's.

• lacroyx
    Options
    I just entered my info into a BMI calculator (I've been losing weight due to tum trouble for awhile now and wondered where I stood) and I'm still effin' obese?

I know I said I was fat the other day (I still stand by that) but OBESE? C'mon...if you follow me on IG, you see body length shots of me...never would someone guess I was obese by looking at me....at least I think. Maybe I'm wrong but cheezus...

Honestly, it doesn't really bother me because, well...I'm full of myself apparently and I think I look pretty foxy for a chubby girl...but still...I can't imagine how I'd look at a "healthy bmi". Height-wise (5'3) I should weigh 107-138. I weight 176 now. I've been 140 and I wasn't "thin" but I was a completely normal body weight/size 8 yet I was considered slightly overweight then. I wouldn't want to BE any thinner than that because all of my voluptouessness goes bye-bye too!

Interesting...

No one should be going by BMI anymore anyway. It was a 'general population trend indicator' way back in the day. It is getting to where BMI doesn't amount to squat anymore in the eyes of physicians. It's not 100% out the window, but people are beginning to see it's MASSIVE failings in regards to individuals, so doctors/trainers/physical therapists/dietitians and other professionals are learning to look at other factors as good indicators of health.

I have been seeing my doctor for over 2 years now and she has never once said I needed to lose weight, despite the fact that my BMI indicated that I was obese. That is because despite my BMI being high, my body fat percentage was relatively low, I have great cholesterol and blood sugar numbers and had no indicators of major health conditions associated with my weight.

I also think she recognized that I was(am) a stubborn 20-something and I was only going to change if I wanted to and no one was going to force me. I am still "overweight" according to BMI but my body fat percentage says I'm average and healthy.

smnks8y6ot9s.jpg

im235dcyam5z.jpg

Body composition matters.

I agree though I have heard of a new BMI chart thing that also takes into consideration frame size.
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    Wow! That's a lot of weight. I'm glad you're still with us. :smile: Do you mind my asking what you're down to now?
  • musichales
    musichales Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Night shift bartender here!! Who is still awake with me?!
  • lacroyx
    Options
    Wow! That's a lot of weight. I'm glad you're still with us. :smile: Do you mind my asking what you're down to now?

Are you asking me? If you are I am currently bouncing from 305-310
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    musichales wrote: »
    Night shift bartender here!! Who is still awake with me?!

Still here. :smile: How are things in your neck of the woods?
  • vamshi3101
    vamshi3101 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    night owl it geek here..
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    lacroyx wrote: »

Dang! That's AWESOME!! :smile:
  • musichales
    musichales Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I'm enjoying a healthy post work snack of carrots and hummus and a not so healthy glass of Pinot nior. What are my other lovely night owls up to?

• sufferlandrian
    Options
    No so healthy snack of salad and an ice cream cupcake. :smile:
  • lacroyx
    Options
    musichales wrote: »
    I'm enjoying a healthy post work snack of carrots and hummus and a not so healthy glass of Pinot nior. What are my other lovely night owls up to?

Work! I get busy for about 1 hr then I have 30 mins of goof off time (MFP) then another 1 to 1.5 hrs of work. rinse, repeat until 7AM PST.
  • lacroyx
    Options
    lacroyx wrote: »

Dang! That's AWESOME!! :smile:
    Thanks!
  • lacroyx
    Options
    No so healthy snack of salad and an ice cream cupcake. :smile:

is it a chocolate ice cream cupcake?
    chocolate.jpg