Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Oberon21 wrote: »
    I am going to play Quik today, while I haven't read through this this HAS to be a joke. No one would think this was a good idea:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10325663/weight-loss-surgery-in-mexico#latest

That would freak me out. No way!
  • rungirl1973
    rungirl1973 Posts: 2,559 Member
    Options
    nonoelmo wrote: »
    I am going to play Quik today, while I haven't read through this this HAS to be a joke. No one would think this was a good idea:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10325663/weight-loss-surgery-in-mexico#latest

I personally know three people who have successfully and safely had this surgery in Mexico. The caveat is this - they live near the border and took their time checking it out. They have a family and support system that went with them. It was still a lot of money. I did not meet any of these three until several years after they each had this done. Only one has really maintained her loss fully.

I also know second hand a lot of people who travel several states away to go to Mexico for dental work. One couple my parents are friends of go each year during their snowbird time.

I have 2 friends who went to Mexico to get breast implants.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

I personally know three people who have successfully and safely had this surgery in Mexico. The caveat is this - they live near the border and took their time checking it out. They have a family and support system that went with them. It was still a lot of money. I did not meet any of these three until several years after they each had this done. Only one has really maintained her loss fully.

I also know second hand a lot of people who travel several states away to go to Mexico for dental work. One couple my parents are friends of go each year during their snowbird time.

I understand why people do this and I do think that if you do your research you're probably likely to get medical care equal to what you would in the US or whatever...

But on the other hand, I have a strong (and probably unfounded) belief that plastic surgery and sushi are two things where I want to buy the expensive kind...hahaha. No discount sashimi, no discount implants, I don't care what they cost :lol:
  • tobistatler
    tobistatler Posts: 940 Member
    Options

That would freak me out. No way!

I love Mexico but I would never get surgery there. No way. It would freak me out too!
  • rungirl1973
    rungirl1973 Posts: 2,559 Member
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »

I understand why people do this and I do think that if you do your research you're probably likely to get medical care equal to what you would in the US or whatever...

But on the other hand, I have a strong (and probably unfounded) belief that plastic surgery and sushi are two things where I want to buy the expensive kind...hahaha. No discount sashimi, no discount implants, I don't care what they cost :lol:

I feel the same way. I could have gotten the boy's dental work done a lot cheaper elsewhere, too. There are other places I can skimp, somebody working on my kid's mouth wasn't really one of them...
  • Oberon21
    Oberon21 Posts: 13,235 Member
    Options

I just can't imagine going to Mexico for this surgery, with it's extensive potential complications. They are cutting into your stomach! Sorry, just no way. No no no no way.

But I am glad the people are know are OK!
  • Oberon21
    Options
    MoHousdon wrote: »
    kecmw25 wrote: »
    FREE BURRITOS FROM CHIPOTLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://time.com/4212129/chipotle-closed-free-burrito-raincheck/

Awesome. Did you try it?

Yep! I got my text message for the link to enter my information for my text coupon. I should have it in a day or 2! I LOVE FREE FOOD!!!

I never use coupons, just not organized enough for that. But I never followed the link....was it for anyone?
  • Oberon21
    Options
    I seem to just want to eat everything today!!!!

Me too. :neutral:

I am glad I can't weigh in tomorrow as I am traveling. It won't be pretty.
  • Oberon21
    Options

I feel the same way. I could have gotten the boy's dental work done a lot cheaper elsewhere, too. There are other places I can skimp, somebody working on my kid's mouth wasn't really one of them...

Especially with the risk of infection!
  • Oberon21
    Options

Agreed!
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

Exactly. There are some things I will skip altogether before getting cheap versions, because it's not good value if your fillings fall out or you get MRSA etc. And doubly so for someone I love instead of myself.

This is a thing my husband and I have been trying to practice a lot in our lives, actually, even with material goods - buying fewer things of better quality with a mind to replace these things less. I mean, it's not necessary for everything (I don't buy brand names when the generic is identical, I buy low-quality trendy clothing items because I know I'm not going to be wearing crop tops, wedge sneakers, and patterned skinnies in three years so there's little point in buying quality, I don't buy stuff for the name alone), but I think we've really benefited from spending a little more up front to get something that will fill our needs for a long time (the higher-end camping gear, the furniture with the lifetime warranty) than something that we're going to need a newer and better version of soon.

We are fortunate not to pay for most surgeries here (except, of course, elective ones like implants that are purely cosmetic in nature and that don't affect quality of life) but I would always choose to wait until I could spend the money on the best doctor with the great reviews and the successful portfolio working out of a great clinic than to go somewhere where standards are different and where I can't easily return if there are problems or necessarily have legal recourse if there are BIG problems, you know?

I understand that this is kind of a privileged, snobby attitude and I accept that I'm lucky to be in a position to make these decisions, but still, taking risks with one's health is scary and I don't mind admitting I'd never do it.
  • nonoelmo
    nonoelmo Posts: 3,941 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I am not at all sure that the higher price I paid for my dentist here was worth it. I'm close enough that if I needed a lot of work I would likely go to Los Algodones. My dental insurance pays a whopping $1000 a year max in benefits.

Eta. I went to the highest regarded dental surgeon in town. I had a baby tooth and impacted adult tooth. His discussions with me and the choices he gave me have me convinced he was in it to maximize my payment to him.
  • nonoelmo
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I paid a lot and got very little benefit.

Eta. That sounds like sour grapes. I had several discussions with him. I obtained an expensive outside 3D series of Xrays that we used in my discussions. We decided on a treatment. We decided on extracting baby tooth that was still in great shape. At the same time he did a bone graft so I had an extra solid platform for the implant that we decided on.

After $2900 and the extraction and bone graft he told me that based on the 3d xray he had from before he did anything that the impacted adult tooth was in exactly the wrong place for an implant. He had this information before the needless work. He is happy to go in, remove the impacted tooth and rebuild my sinuses. I said no thanks. I am still waiting to figure out what I want. The empty space does not show. My regular dentist says my mouth is stable. I don't want a bridge. So. $2900 gone and unneeded bone graft in place.
  • Oberon21
    Options

Eta. That sounds like sour grapes. I had several discussions with him. I obtained an expensive outside 3D series of Xrays that we used in my discussions. We decided on a treatment. We decided on extracting baby tooth that was still in great shape. At the same time he did a bone graft so I had an extra solid platform for the implant that we decided on.

After $2900 and the extraction and bone graft he told me that based on the 3d xray he had from before he did anything that the impacted adult tooth was in exactly the wrong place for an implant. He had this information before the needless work. He is happy to go in, remove the impacted tooth and rebuild my sinuses. I said no thanks. I am still waiting to figure out what I want. The empty space does not show. My regular dentist says my mouth is stable. I don't want a bridge. So. $2900 gone and unneeded bone graft in place.

I had this happen to me with a gynecologist. A well known, reputed gynecologist that "quoted" me a price for a laproscopy then claimed he had to do a lot more during the surgery and that I owed him a lot more money. My insurance said I didn't owe him anything. So I never paid. I heard eventually he was brought up on charges for fraud and performing unnecessary surgeries.
  • nonoelmo
    Options

I had this happen to me with a gynecologist. A well known, reputed gynecologist that "quoted" me a price for a laproscopy then claimed he had to do a lot more during the surgery and that I owed him a lot more money. My insurance said I didn't owe him anything. So I never paid. I heard eventually he was brought up on charges for fraud and performing unnecessary surgeries.

I am glad you didn't have to pay. I did.
  • nonoelmo
    Options
    I have lost track of time. I have a 5K at the end of this month. Two weekends from now. I looked at the results from last time. There is a small chance I could get first for my age group. I am likely to place. :) YAY.
  • Oberon21
    Options
    I have lost track of time. I have a 5K at the end of this month. Two weekends from now. I looked at the results from last time. There is a small chance I could get first for my age group. I am likely to place. :) YAY.

Yay! Can't wait to hear how you did!
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options

Whoo!
  • Oberon21
    Options
    Tomorrow starts our lent challenge! I have aligned on vegan and 1 hour of exercise a day.

What are we calling this?

#40daychallenge
    # lentchallenge

Any suggestions?
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow starts our lent challenge! I have aligned on vegan and 1 hour of exercise a day.

What are we calling this?

#40daychallenge
    # lentchallenge

Any suggestions?

#lentchallenge!

I have decided on 45-1 hour of exercise a day
    Not Buying Anymore Processed Junk Food (with the exception of things like yogurt)
    No Ice Cream