Obsessive/Unhealthy Dieting Relationship

Options

Replies

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    I think if spending time discussing diet online is a disorder, most of us have it.
    It isn't the discussing diet that anyone is making out to be a disorder. What is a disorder is using it as an attention seeking device, paritucularly using it to ad infinitum get people to give advise just to make excuses about it because the person has no interest in changing if it takes effort, or because by refusing the advice and continuing as is, the attention continues.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I know, I just don't think referring her to an ED site is really applicable. Just my opinion.
  • amyr271
    amyr271 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    ftsolk wrote: »
    I do bring food with me places. THAT IS THE PROBLEM. I'm tired of going over to people's houses and eating my own food at dinnertime. It's WEIRD.

Then stop!! No one is making you do that! What do you want people to say to you?!
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    amyr271 wrote: »
    I do bring food with me places. THAT IS THE PROBLEM. I'm tired of going over to people's houses and eating my own food at dinnertime. It's WEIRD.

Then stop!! No one is making you do that! What do you want people to say to you?!

She doesn't care, as long as they say something. The OP doesn't want dieting advice, she wants attention. She's like the weight loss board equivalent of a Munchausen's Syndrome patient going from hospital to hospital with factitious illnesses so they can get attention from doctors, and prove they're smarter than the doctors by posing symptom-based riddles the doctors can't solve.

Obligatory caveat: I am not a psychologist and do not play one on the internet. I'm only pointing out some thought-provoking similarities in presentation.
  • vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    Options
    How do people on this thread 'know' that OP has visited all these fitness sites and other social media platforms? I'm genuinely curious=)
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    vegmebuff wrote: »
    How do people on this thread 'know' that OP has visited all these fitness sites and other social media platforms? I'm genuinely curious=)

Speaking for myself, I used to be a WW member and know that she's posted there with the same drama. And even though I'm no longer a paying member, I still have access to the message boards (because they're open to the public) and she's got this same thread going on over there now.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options

Speaking for myself, I used to be a WW member and know that she's posted there with the same drama. And even though I'm no longer a paying member, I still have access to the message boards (because they're open to the public) and she's got this same thread going on over there now.

Same here, and that was in 2013. I noticed her on here shortly after I switched to MFP the same year.

Some people just do a really good job of standing out.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options

Not that I know OP's posting history beyond MFP, but you'd be surprised how many people post on other boards with the same user name. A Google search later and you have a lot of info.
  • vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »

Not that I know OP's posting history beyond MFP, but you'd be surprised how many people post on other boards with the same user name. A Google search later and you have a lot of info.

zyxst! Off topic but...I am so saddened by your picture. I am sad that you feel your life is so depressing. Just want to send you a hug
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options

Google is your friend. :)
  • briggsykim
    briggsykim Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    This is a little late, but I know what your going through. You don't need professional help , you just need a second wind. When you have a lot of weight to lose it can seem to be a never ending task. Stick with it and it will pay off in a hundred different ways. You will feel so energized and healthy!
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    briggsykim wrote: »
    This is a little late, but I know what your going through. You don't need professional help , you just need a second wind. When you have a lot of weight to lose it can seem to be a never ending task. Stick with it and it will pay off in a hundred different ways. You will feel so energized and healthy!

But she CAN'T stick with it because [insert excuse here].

If you knew this poster's history you might not be so quick to discount the advice to seek professional help.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options

Knew it!

Lissa, you don't have an eating disorder. You have a brain chemistry imbalance or a personality disorder. You need medication. Get over your fear of Obamacare and go see a psychiatrist.
  • azulvioleta6
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »

Then again, this is just internet chat, so it might be all made up funny stuff intended as some sort of cyber performance art :smiley:

Marina Abramović, she is not. ;)

I don't think that any of this is made up...and that is why it is sad.
  • azulvioleta6
    Options
    I have been looking at options for help. I've been in counseling in the past. I've been checking out OA meetings and chatting with a counselor from the NEDA website. I have been following advice from people here. But I'm still not sure what good it's going to do. The person on the NEDA website was really no help. She seemed to be confused as to why I was even on there.

I'm trying to figure out something that will work. Tomorrow, I'm going to try going back to tracking points since I don't have any out-of-home dining planned. However, I'm going to take a different approach. I bought a little 49 cent memo pad at the store and I'll write down what I'm eating on there (including weights of certain foods). Then I'll track it on the app AFTER I eat it- that way I can get an idea of how I'm eating if I'm not focused on the numbers. I think that's one of the reasons I experience burn-out. I try to pre-plan my food, and then when I see the numbers, I get overwhelmed because it seems impossible to fit everything into my day. Maybe I'll see if I can get a better grip on things if I evaluate things. I'm also only going to focus on tracking food that I eat at home OR pack. Social eating won't be counted, but I'll try to stick to not eating after 9pm MOST days (more likely 8pm, but 9 gives me more flexibility; I know that narrowing my eating window... even if I don't stick to a strict IF protocol DOES help me. Trying to spread my calories or points too far does stress me out) AND I'll work on establishing my rule against second helpings of anything other than fruits or vegetables.

I AM trying here. I really am. I've already loosely planned two meals for tomorrow. Breakfast will be half an avocado with salt, pepper, and lime juice mashed on two slices of 16 grain bread (Silver Hills Bakery) and topped with 2 eggs and arugula (possibly with a pear on the side. Dinner will be 4 oz of skin on salmon with a honey ginger glaze, roasted asparagus, and roasted potatoes (look up "Tasty one pan salmon" on Google). Of course, those two meals will eat up my entire points allowance and then some, but it's better than having a frappucino for dinner, right?

This is not different. You have done it before.

How in the world does tracking everything TWICE make things easier?

The food does sound good. At least you aren't living off of the toddler menu anymore.
  • brekober
    brekober Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    @kshama2001 -- Reading my post again, I can see that I sounded a bit callus, like I don't care what my guests want/can't have, etc. That's really not the case.

Fortunately, the one thing that no one in my family has is a nut allergy. I know those can be severe, and if a guest did have such an allergy, yes, I would be mindful of that.

But I don't cook with that "no salt" salt substitute because my father-in-law watches his sodium intake. I don't make everything fat-free, sugar-free (taste free). Should I accommodate the whims of my sister-in-law, who is on a different diet craze every time I talk to her?

I serve a variety of foods. Maybe not everyone can eat everything, but there's something for everyone, know what I mean?

If we took into account every restriction of every person in our lives, we would just put a jug of water on the table and call it a day.

Then you should feel lucky you do t have to do any of that. I personally have taken my own food to family dinners because whatever is for family dinner is usually very calorie dense. No one ever gets upset that I do it. If anything they are supportive in me trying to better myself.

As for not cutting out sodium for your father in law that is another thing that not everyone can do. My father is on the transplant list and we ALL have no problem cutting out anything he isnt suppose to be eating. It's not an inconvieniece to eat tasteless food if it is for the health of a loved one.

• soulofgrace
    soulofgrace Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Two things: I don't know how you ever thought that having the same user name across multiple websites is a good idea, but it's a terrible idea, for many reasons. And, most importantly, control is an illusion. Relax. Do your best. Lighten up. And that's all I have to say about that.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    So, if they're really my friends they should let me isolate myself so I'll be skinny?

I went to the NEDA site. I told them that whenever I try to lose weight I become obsessive and then burn out. They basically told me that it doesn't seem like I have anorexia or bulimia and dismissed me.

Call me a cynic but I'm not convinced you did speak to anyone. Because anyone well versed in eating disorders would know that anoxeria and bulimia are not the only EDs, there are many others and they run a spectrum.

I think you're attention seeking. I think you should take the advice to seek psychiatric help of some description, details of those that are accessible to you have been posted. But going by what others have detailed of your behaviour, you really are just compulsively attention seeking and have no desire or intention of seeking any help or acting on any advice. That's pretty sad really.
  • bdt0831
    bdt0831 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Right there with you honey. That's why I am in therapy. I am scared of food. I will not go to social gatherings because if there is food it's just to much for me to deal with. I get anxiety over it. I cancel on social gatherings and say I am sick so I don't have to go and not eat what they have. I count every calorie. Log every bite. Exercise 5-6 days a week for 90 min or more. I have anxiety and guilt over everything I eat. So I am seeing a therapist. This is NO WAY TO LIVE.