Which of these 2 Cereals should I eat? (Harder than I thought)

Options

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    The winner is neither......My favorite warm cinnamon Kashi

imp]533_NutritionLabel.jpg

But that has the exact same calories as the honey kashi.

I personally like plain cheerios. I did not grow up eating cold cereals so I don't have any nostalgic "taste of childhood" cereal. When I first picked up a cereal to try as an adult it was plain cheerios and it was kind of "imprinted" as the way a cereal is supposed to taste, so anything else tastes weird to me.

Yes - but she was comparing Apple Jacks (cinnamon & apple flavor) to plain oat cereal. The warm cinnamon Kashi is a more fair comparison to Apple Jacks.

But yes, the same fiber, protein, etc. as the plain Kashi.

So you're saying it's like apples and oranges apple jacks and oat cereal?
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    MrsNikiG wrote: »
    You want to go with the food that's less processed and stripped of nutrients. Probably the one with less added sugar. The first ingredient on the apple jacks box is sugar. Mostly likely white refined sugar. The sugar on the Kashi is Cane syrup which is less processed and better for you. I'd go Kashi 100%. Calories are not the most important thing when your trying to lose weight. Not all calories are created equal, you should always eat nutrient dense foods. Try to stick with whole foods and eat lots of fruit and veg. Cereal is really garbage food, so if you are going to eat it I would do so in moderation. Maybe oatmeal ( the real kind ) or I like to cut up a banana heat up peanut butter pour it over the banana and sprinkle on granola and unsweetened dried fruit like blueberries. Its soooop good and easy.

Where to even begin, does mfp have a roll eyes smilie?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

I personally like plain cheerios. I did not grow up eating cold cereals so I don't have any nostalgic "taste of childhood" cereal. When I first picked up a cereal to try as an adult it was plain cheerios and it was kind of "imprinted" as the way a cereal is supposed to taste, so anything else tastes weird to me.

Yes - but she was comparing Apple Jacks (cinnamon & apple flavor) to plain oat cereal. The warm cinnamon Kashi is a more fair comparison to Apple Jacks.

Lol!

Yeah I wouldn't compare plain Cheerios to Apple Jacks either. But, don't get me wrong, I like both.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options

Lol!

Yeah I wouldn't compare plain Cheerios to Apple Jacks either. But, don't get me wrong, I like both.

What about Apple Cinnamon Cheerios vs Apple Jacks?
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

Lol!

I fecking love Apple Cinnamon Cheerios.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I don't agree with the whole post about processing at all, but I still don't get why cane syrup is supposedly less processed or better for me.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options

Lol!

I fecking love Apple Cinnamon Cheerios.

I actually prefer them to Apple Jacks, but they weren't one of the OP's choices. Perhaps we can start a new thread about ACC vs AJ and see it we can get it past 7 pages! :lol:
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I don't agree with the whole post about processing at all, but I still don't get why cane syrup is supposedly less processed or better for me.

latest?cb=20140307001843
  • aubyshortcake
    aubyshortcake Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    The one you want.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    LBuehrle8 wrote: »
    auddii wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    lynn1982 wrote: »
    Because it's disgusting. Your taste buds should mature as an adult. And if they don't, you should at least have the common sense to know that it's pure junk.

Awesome, She has spoken. Let me tell y'all about my disgusting, filthy bowls of Lucky Charms and Captain Crunch today (but store brand knock-offs because I'm not a sucker).

First, I grabbed my LC (as it call it) and tenderly (but firmly!) opened the box top. The plastic bag inside yielded to my touch and parted for my eager tongue. Excitedly, I raised the box to the sky and looked up within. A shower of green clovers and blue diamonds was my lusty reward, all over my joyful face and cascading down my body.

But I was insatiable! Captain Crunch was next. I ripped off the box top and swung wildly, the hard crunchy cereal spraying across the floor! I took off my clothes and knelt down for my reward, rolling with great abandon. Grinding the cereal into a fine, yellow powder on my Italian marble floor.

This continued for a half-hour session. Then I rinsed off with a jug of milk and tipped my Cereal Assistant an extra $50. "See you next Monday, Esmerelda. Oh, and bring the Fruity Pebbles next time." I winked and did double-finger guns as she left my estate, and then I took a well-deserved nap.

How was your day?

o0subxxs6mq1.gif

P.S. - Cap'n Crunch Peanut Butter Cereal FTW!

OMG do you guys have any food group that doesn't come in a peanut butter version?? I'm so insanely jealous! We do not even have one peanut butter flavoured cereal, not a one :cry:

You'll just have to console yourself with a cadbury creme egg mcflurry...

IS THIS A REAL THING!?!?

mcdonalds-cadbury-creme-egg-mcflurry.jpg

Sometimes Australia gets cool stuff :D
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    MommyMeggo wrote: »
    Jazzykatt wrote: »
    Health and weight loss do not always go hand in hand. Less calories are optimal for weight loss; however, better nutrients are optimal for health. Just stay in your caloric range and try to make smart choices.

There's a strong argument that it's healthier to be not obese and be short some nutrients than it is to be obese but hitting all your nutritional targets. Sure, it's better to hit both goals, but if I had to choose between the two, being a healthy weight is going to be my obvious preference every time.

But this is page seven of a "decide between two cereals" thread. WTAF is going on in here???

Some people like apple jacks.
    Some people think Kashi tastes like animal feed.
    The majority verdict: Kashi for nutrition, AJ for taste
    Choice in cereal = level of maturity.
    Being an adult means your taste buds are no longer infant, child, prepubescent, or adolescent taste buds...therefore "children's food" should undoubtedly taste vile to you.
    Cereal causes cancer.

My favorite cereal is dry Lucky Charms. I eat all of the cereal first and then enjoy the marshmallows all at once separately.

Does this say that I'm childish because Lucky Charms? Or adultish because I do my work first and then I get my reward? (I've always wondered about this question. Glad there's finally an MFP thread that will likely answer it for me.)

Look, I have on good authority heard if you eat a cereal made for children you are very immature with very immature taste buds. Regardless of the fact that you approach your highly-anticipated mastication time with a well thought out plan for maximum enjoyment...its still for a child and your "common sense" should tell you better.

As adults we must eat All Bran all the time for fear of damaging our reputation and possibly getting cancer.

... is the gist of several of these pages.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,653 Member
    Options
    Health and weight loss do not always go hand in hand. Less calories are optimal for weight loss; however, better nutrients are optimal for health. Just stay in your caloric range and try to make smart choices.

There's a strong argument that it's healthier to be not obese and be short some nutrients than it is to be obese but hitting all your nutritional targets. Sure, it's better to hit both goals, but if I had to choose between the two, being a healthy weight is going to be my obvious preference every time.

But this is page seven of a "decide between two cereals" thread. WTAF is going on in here???

Being an adult means your taste buds are no longer infant, child, prepubescent, or adolescent taste buds...therefore "children's food" should undoubtedly taste vile to you.
    Cereal causes cancer.

My favorite cereal is dry Lucky Charms. I eat all of the cereal first and then enjoy the marshmallows all at once separately.

Does this say that I'm childish because Lucky Charms? Or adultish because I do my work first and then I get my reward? (I've always wondered about this question. Glad there's finally an MFP thread that will likely answer it for me.)

Look, I have on good authority heard if you eat a cereal made for children you are very immature with very immature taste buds. Regardless of the fact that you approach your highly-anticipated mastication time with a well thought out plan for maximum enjoyment...its still for a child and your "common sense" should tell you better.

As adults we must eat All Bran all the time for fear of damaging our reputation and possibly getting cancer.

Those pages suck out loud.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

Cereal causes cancer.

Sooooo my Froot Loop Cupcakes recipe would make some people's heads explode with my immaturity?
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options

Cereal causes cancer.

Sooooo my Froot Loop Cupcakes recipe would make some people's heads explode with my immaturity?

AND cancer.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

Cereal causes cancer.

Immaturity and cancer.

ETA: too slow.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options

Cereal causes cancer.

Immaturity and cancer.

ETA: too slow.

Jinx. I guess you owe me a Coke?

But not a diet Coke because that will double the cancer.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options

Cereal causes cancer.

Correct. It would be an incomprehensible level of immaturity.
    Especially if you lick all the icing off first.

I wonder what would happen if I ate my Fruit Loops with a color changing spoon....
    o1g3pjxc8lxl.jpg
  • aklinkner823
    aklinkner823 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Neither. Make overnight oats in your fridge and top them with fresh fruit.
  • CaptainJoy
    CaptainJoy Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

We have individual cereal packets at work and I was trying to decide which to eat.

Goal: Lose weight (I am counting calories)

The choice is between Apple Jacks and Kashi's Toasted Oat cereal.
    Obviously common knowledge says the Apple Jacks are bad, but after looking at the nutrition content I am unsure which is better for losing weight?

Overall it is a pretty trivial question and I know that neither is really "healthy". But I thought this would be a valuable question to pose to the community that could represent the larger scale sugar vs. calories issue.

Let me know what you think is the best for Losing Weight!

Kashi's Toasted Oat is better for losing weight. Apple Jacks has unhealthy hydrogenated and partially hydrogenated oils included in the ingredients. Kashi doesn't plus it tastes like cardboard. That should kill your tastebuds for the rest of the morning and keep you from snacking. If your goal is weight loss, that should do it.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I don't buy foods with trans fats. That's what the "partially hydrogenated" part of the Apple Jacks ingredient list means. I also avoid artificial colors. Looks like you have an old box as according to the website they are now using tumeric and not yellow dye.

http://www.kelloggs.com/en_US/kellogg-s-apple-jacks-cereal-product.html

Kellogg's® Apple Jacks® cereal

INGREDIENTS: SUGAR, CORN FLOUR BLEND (WHOLE GRAIN YELLOW CORN FLOUR, DEGERMINATED YELLOW CORN FLOUR), WHEAT FLOUR, WHOLE GRAIN OAT FLOUR, MODIFIED FOOD STARCH, OAT FIBER, SOLUBLE CORN FIBER, CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF VEGETABLE OIL (HYDROGENATED COCONUT, SOYBEAN AND/OR COTTONSEED, PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED SOYBEAN AND/OR COTTONSEED), SALT, MILLED CORN, DRIED APPLES, APPLE JUICE CONCENTRATE, CORNSTARCH, CINNAMON, MODIFIED CORN STARCH, NATURAL FLAVOR, YELLOW 6, BAKING SODA, TURMERIC EXTRACT COLOR, BLUE 1, RED 40, BHT FOR FRESHNESS. VITAMINS AND MINERALS: VITAMIN C (SODIUM ASCORBATE AND ASCORBIC ACID), NIACINAMIDE, REDUCED IRON, ZINC OXIDE, VITAMIN B6 (PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE), VITAMIN B2 (RIBOFLAVIN), VITAMIN A PALMITATE, VITAMIN B1 (THIAMIN HYDROCHLORIDE), FOLIC ACID, VITAMIN B12, VITAMIN D3.

So Apple Jacks has Turmeric in it? Isn't that a plus?