Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is the amount of easy access processed food harming dieters health?

Options

Replies

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    cloudi2 wrote: »
    Obesity is a disease? I thought it was a vmi category?

fa1efc5379aadd7784c7f11925203cc7.jpg
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Clam diggers usually eat clams and do a fair amount of drinking and they arethin because they work so hard. That is what I think and see. I don't know that skinny people here eat only ultra processed food. and I dn't think I said thst. I have seen some who do at the bars, where they serve drinks, coffee and sweets, but you know I can't be sure. My point was that of the people I do know more of what they eat, the retired people here, who are overweight are definately very healthy and active. Its just what I have noticed.

I still stick with what I said, people who are overweight and eat less processed foods are healthier than thin people who eat ultra processed foods.

I di't include the clam diggers in that, I believe they are an outlier, I added them for interest.

Why?
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Why what?
  • Gamliela
    Options
    Well there are the clam diggers, and even though they are skinny, as they are out there digging clams and eat clams and not mch else, they don't look so good. Now there is a case of minimally processed food, but its not looking like they eat anything else and so maybe its not as straight forward as I said.

Are the skinny, sickly-looking clam diggers who don't eat anything else, perchance, impoverished?
    Well there are the clam diggers, and even though they are skinny, as they are out there digging clams and eat clams and not mch else, they don't look so good. Now there is a case of minimally processed food, but its not looking like they eat anything else and so maybe its not as straight forward as I said.

Are the skinny, sickly-looking clam diggers who don't eat anything else, perchance, impoverished?
    Yes and so am I.

I am sorry to hear that. I know Portugal is going through a lot of financial difficulty now. In the case of the frail, handicapped elderly, and/or the clam diggers, your observations on how healthy they look are probably the result of poverty as the root problem, which encompasses both diet and access to medical care. It sounds like the thin people you refer to are actually starving, while the more overweight people (who are healthy and glossy; Germans and Dutch who had the money to retire to a nice sunny place) have access to a bounty of foods.

It's a different situation here in the US, where many of our impoverished people are overweight or obese, but still "starving" from lack of nutrients, and afflicted with many health issues. Americans and Europeans probably have very different pictures in their heads when they think of someone who is "typically overweight."

From your post it soundslikeyou know a lot more about it than I do! C'est la vie. I'm not portugesh by the way. :)

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I know y'all were talking about the shredded canned chicken. But does anyone actually eat this stuff??

oqodz9zltofr.jpg
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I know y'all were talking about the shredded canned chicken. But does anyone actually eat this stuff??

OMG, I will have nightmares about that :anguished:
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

oqodz9zltofr.jpg

Sometimes fresh food is inaccessible, so yep, I sure people do. I lived 50 miles from the nearest grocery store and we ate a lot of canned meat. We did have fresh chickens though.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

OMG, I will have nightmares about that :anguished:

I know right! There's loads more creepy gelatinous pics of this stuff on Google images, I suggest you do NOT look :tired_face:
  • Gamliela
    Options
    Having raised my own chickens and milking my goat, I can say I've seen things just as unpleasing, but in a different way.

Calorie for calorie, a 100 grams of canned chicken is the same as a 100 grams of freshly butchered chicken though.
    Scientific fact there you have it!
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options

oqodz9zltofr.jpg

I have seen them have to use it on Cutthroat Kitchen. I can hardly look at it like that.
  • Wickedfaery73
    Wickedfaery73 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    ^^^^ looks SOOOO gross LOL
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Having raised my own chickens and milking my goat, I can say I've seen things just as unpleasing, but in a different way.

Calorie for calorie, a 100 grams of canned chicken is the same as a 100 grams of freshly butchered chicken though.
    Scientific fact there you have it!

That's doubtful. Canned chicken will likely have preservatives added, most likely sodium.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

oqodz9zltofr.jpg

Christine!!! Ugh! Now I feel mentally violated because I can't get the "schloop" sound out of my head as I imagine that can giving birth to a vile demon-chicken. {shudder}

Interestingly enough, although it looks like it's been packed in vaseline, I think that fat and gelatin come naturally from the chicken, and this is the stuff that is raved about by proponents of "bone broth." They will also go out of their way to acquire chicken legs for their broth. I haven't looked into the bone broth craze, but when I make my stock, put it in freezer containers, and cool it, there is well over a quarter inch of fat and gelatin on it. Modern recipe books say to scrape off the fat--nooooo! That stuff is pure gold.

To help cleanse that image from our collective minds, here is a photo of the canned chicken I have in my pantry instead. Look at how cute that chicken is! And the retro old-school brown paper packaging. It makes me feel like a thrifty housewife from the 1930s. Of course, if I actually were, I would get off my butt, stop being scared of pressure canning (deep childhood traumas from being told, "stay out of the kitchen--it might explode."), and can my own darn chicken.

7tehifhp5gr7.jpg
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

oqodz9zltofr.jpg

Christine!!! Ugh! Now I feel mentally violated because I can't get the "schloop" sound out of my head as I imagine that can giving birth to a vile demon-chicken. {shudder}

Interestingly enough, although it looks like it's been packed in vaseline, I think that fat and gelatin come naturally from the chicken, and this is the stuff that is raved about by proponents of "bone broth." They will also go out of their way to acquire chicken legs for their broth. I haven't looked into the bone broth craze, but when I make my stock, put it in freezer containers, and cool it, there is well over a quarter inch of fat and gelatin on it. Modern recipe books say to scrape off the fat--nooooo! That stuff is pure gold.

To help cleanse that image from our collective minds, here is a photo of the canned chicken I have in my pantry instead. Look at how cute that chicken is! And the retro old-school brown paper packaging. It makes me feel like a thrifty housewife from the 1930s. Of course, if I actually were, I would get off my butt, stop being scared of pressure canning (deep childhood traumas from being told, "stay out of the kitchen--it might explode."), and can my own darn chicken.

7tehifhp5gr7.jpg

Chicken fat is pure gold? Geez, you should see how much fat is on a chicken when it's first killed, especially if killed in late Winter.
  • French_Peasant
    Options
    Why what?

Cloud, I think the reason people are arguing with you is that there are so many variables, when someone makes a blanket statement, even though it seems intuitive/common sense...it's a lot more complicated than that.

For example, I would agree that, everything else being equal, people who eat less processed foods are likely to be healthier than people who eat ultra-processed foods.

When you put in the weight variable, it makes the stance less easier to defend. How much overweight? There's a big difference between a BMI of 25.1 vs. 29.9. And how much underweight? There's a big difference between BMI 24.9 and a frail elderly woman with cancer.

And for the variable of less processed vs. ultra-processed food--what exactly is the less processed diet? Is it heavily weighted on beef, bacon and potatoes, with no veg? Or is it heavy on fruits, veg, fish, whole grains, and lighter on meats? For the ultra-processed food, is it all Wonderbread, Froot Loops and baloney loaf (I refuse to confer distinction on the Oscar Mayer product by suggesting it has ANY Italian connection), or is it Cheerios, whole grain breads, Progresso canned vegetable soup and Kashi 100% organic whole grain frozen dinners?

Here is a list of all the foods that are considered to be ultra-processed, according to the major Tufts study that has everyone's knickers in a twist about how horrible the American diet is, but if you look at the list, there are a lot of healthy foods to be found in it. Even if you are making your own bread from whole organic wheat that you grew yourself, and salt you hand-collected from the Camargue, it is still apparently considered to be ultra-processed.

Breads
    Cakes, cookies and pies
    Salty snacks
    Frozen and shelf-stable plate meals
    Soft drinks, carbonated
    Pizza (ready-to-eat/heat)
    Fruit drinks‡‡
    Breakfast cereals
    Sauces, dressings and gravies
    Reconstituted meat or fish products
    Sweet snacks
    Ice cream and ice pops
    Milk-based drinks§§
    Desserts¶¶
    French fries and other potato products
    Sandwiches and hamburgers on bun (ready-to-eat/heat)
    Instant and canned soups
    Other ultra-processed foods††† (this includes Vegan and soy products)

Interestingly, @Christine_72 your whole chicken in a can is considered to be minimally processed. :)

The food is listed in table 1 of this study:

http://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/6/3/e009892.full.pdf+html
  • French_Peasant
    Options

oqodz9zltofr.jpg

7tehifhp5gr7.jpg

Chicken fat is pure gold? Geez, you should see how much fat is on a chicken when it's first killed, especially if killed in late Winter.

Here's a site that takes it even further and calls it "sacred schmaltz"! :)http://www.sadiesalome.com/recipes/schmaltz.html

The French ideal for a stewing chicken is an old hen with tons of fat--you just can't get that in the US unless you raise your own or have a really good source. As I noted, it is insane that people scrape off the fat and throw it away.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

oqodz9zltofr.jpg

7tehifhp5gr7.jpg

Here's a site that takes it even further and calls it "sacred schmaltz"! :)http://www.sadiesalome.com/recipes/schmaltz.html

The French ideal for a stewing chicken is an old hen with tons of fat--you just can't get that in the US unless you raise your own or have a really good source. As I noted, it is insane that people scrape off the fat and throw it away.

I guess that makes me insane.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Why what?

For example, I would agree that, everything else being equal, people who eat less processed foods are likely to be healthier than people who eat ultra-processed foods.

To what extent? If I eat ice cream once a week, am I automatically less likely to be healthy? If yes, how? Or do I have to eat it daily? Or more than 50% of my calories?
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

oqodz9zltofr.jpg

7tehifhp5gr7.jpg

Yes indeed - and there isn't any better flavoring for roast potatoes in my mind than chicken fat. Preferably dripping off of a bird on the rotisserie directly above the roasting potatoes. I did try duck fat potatoes what with all the culinary hype, but they did not deliver any better flavor or texture. Not in my opinion, anyway.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »

oqodz9zltofr.jpg

7tehifhp5gr7.jpg

Yes indeed - and there isn't any better flavoring for roast potatoes in my mind than chicken fat. Preferably dripping off of a bird on the rotisserie directly above the roasting potatoes. I did try duck fat potatoes what with all the culinary hype, but they did not deliver any better flavor or texture. Not in my opinion, anyway.

Just cooking the potatoes with a whole chicken (or chicken pieces, which may allow for a better arrangement) works, though. So tasty. So not low cal. ;-)