Squat, Bench, Deadlift, Snatch, C&J: Post your best videos

Options

Replies

• jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    jimmmer wrote: »
    Not a rep PR, but the most I've deadlifted with heavier weights in a while. Finally getting things dialed in with my back and staying tight. Like I say in the description though, I got my back fixed and just totally forget about head position. I guess if I can get my head and neck in a neutral position, I'll be good.

Nice pulling!

I do something similar with my neck. No matter how hard I try, I can't break myself of it. When you see the demos of people unable to create or maintain arm or leg tension when their neck is placed in an extended position, it makes me think that I'm leaving some full body tension on the table (and by extension - kg's) when I pull. If you work it out, find a drill, a cue, whatever I'd be interested in hearing it!

It's one of those things that is emphasized a lot but I've never really understood it. I see a lot of elite lifters with their heads up and it's something I do too. Doesn't cause any problems and my deadlift is my best lift by far so I'm a little skeptical that it's an issue for everyone. Maybe a POSSIBLE issue for some people I'm thinking?

Yeah, I'm thinking of the old martial arts demonstration, where you can make someone lose tensile strength in a joint by having them resist a force and then putting their neck into extension.

Of course, it may have no bearing on torso tension in the DL. I actually feel weaker during my pull if I consciously try to put my head into neutral, so maybe it's just the way I'm supposed to lift....
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options
    @jimmmer and @DopeItUp I don't feel so bad about my deadlift head position anymore. How many do you think would tell Dan Green that he's not doing it right?

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    @jimmmer and @DopeItUp I don't feel so bad about my deadlift head position anymore. How many do you think would tell Dan Green that he's not doing it right?

Good example. For me it helps keep me from falling forward on near-maximal weights so I don't think I'll be changing anytime soon.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options

Good example. For me it helps keep me from falling forward on near-maximal weights so I don't think I'll be changing anytime soon.

I agree. I think I'm going to keep doing what works for me (until it doesn't...)

I pulled in oly shoes for a whole year because it didn't bother my SI Joint rehab. I don't care if everyone says it's non-optimal/wrong/stupid** it kept me healthy and in the game while I healed.

At a certain point you've got to do what keeps you moving forward and healthy and turn off the internet...

(** delete as appropriate)
  • DreesPerformanceTraining
    Options
    Heaviest (and slowest) squat I have on video.

https://instagram.com/p/BED_qwBquD8/?taken-by=jondrees&hl=en
  • _incogNEATo_
    Options

Nice fight! Great lift.
  • Rob_in_MI
    Rob_in_MI Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    These are my best lifts to date:

405 lbs. Squat:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Sfo2Ix7g5o

My best bench press is 305 lbs, but I didn't get any video of it, so all I have this on of this one at 255 lbs.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Knet-jY89aU

525 lbs. deadlift:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Br0QGjsJpE
    (Now that wasn't pretty.)

Well done!
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Weighted Pull Up Sesh for accessory back day today. Did mostly sets of 8 with 45 but did 2 sets of 5 with 70.

• McCloud33
    McCloud33 Posts: 959 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Weighted Pull Up Sesh for accessory back day today. Did mostly sets of 8 with 45 but did 2 sets of 5 with 70.

Nice @Hornsby ! Im upto 50# 5x5 for my program right now
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    McCloud33 wrote: »

Nice! I think I did 4 sets of 8 with 45 with the 70 sets in the middle. Then finished it with 2 sets of 12 with 25. My damn wallet got stolen or lost somehow yesterday so had to let some aggression out. Lol. What a pain in the *kitten* losing your wallet is.

I really love that you guys kinda persuaded me to get a dip belt (whether y'all know you did or not). I really enjoy them. They just make me feel strong I guess. I train each body part twice a week and have started incorporating them as my first power and Hypertrophy sets. Who knows how it's working but I'm having fun and that's half the battle ;)
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

Nicely grinded out!
    Rob_in_MI wrote: »
    Well done!

Thanks!

• giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    Options

I miss doing these. Looks like its bringing you good returns.
  • DreesPerformanceTraining
    Options

Nice fight! Great lift.

Thanks. I figured I better stand up or it wouldn't make for a very good video.
  • _incogNEATo_
    Options

Nice fight! Great lift.

Thanks. I figured I better stand up or it wouldn't make for a very good video.

Sometimes that motivation is all it takes.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

I agree. I think I'm going to keep doing what works for me (until it doesn't...)

I pulled in oly shoes for a whole year because it didn't bother my SI Joint rehab. I don't care if everyone says it's non-optimal/wrong/stupid** it kept me healthy and in the game while I healed.

At a certain point you've got to do what keeps you moving forward and healthy and turn off the internet...

(** delete as appropriate)

That's about right- keep doing what it works until it doesn't.

Also- I'm having a REALLY hard time wiht the quote/like/awesome buttons being right next to each other- I keep trying to quote and I hit like.
    womp womp
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Not a rep PR, but the most I've deadlifted with heavier weights in a while. Finally getting things dialed in with my back and staying tight. Like I say in the description though, I got my back fixed and just totally forget about head position. I guess if I can get my head and neck in a neutral position, I'll be good.

Nice pulling!

I do something similar with my neck. No matter how hard I try, I can't break myself of it. When you see the demos of people unable to create or maintain arm or leg tension when their neck is placed in an extended position, it makes me think that I'm leaving some full body tension on the table (and by extension - kg's) when I pull. If you work it out, find a drill, a cue, whatever I'd be interested in hearing it!

It's one of those things that is emphasized a lot but I've never really understood it. I see a lot of elite lifters with their heads up and it's something I do too. Doesn't cause any problems and my deadlift is my best lift by far so I'm a little skeptical that it's an issue for everyone. Maybe a POSSIBLE issue for some people I'm thinking?

I'm not terribly concerned about C-spine position for what it's worth. In new lifters though I think there's merit to the idea that C spine position may effect other spinal segments and so in that regard it might be worth addressing.

I do think it's minimally important overall. Then again I'm pretty much a poster boy for rounded back pulling,
  • McCloud33
    McCloud33 Posts: 959 Member
    Options
    McCloud33 wrote: »

Nice! I think I did 4 sets of 8 with 45 with the 70 sets in the middle. Then finished it with 2 sets of 12 with 25. My damn wallet got stolen or lost somehow yesterday so had to let some aggression out. Lol. What a pain in the *kitten* losing your wallet is.

I really love that you guys kinda persuaded me to get a dip belt (whether y'all know you did or not). I really enjoy them. They just make me feel strong I guess. I train each body part twice a week and have started incorporating them as my first power and Hypertrophy sets. Who knows how it's working but I'm having fun and that's half the battle ;)

Glad we persuaded you, lol. I had gotten up to sets of 70-75 the last time I had them as part of my structured, progressive, program. Not sure why I ever stopped them...they always make me feel strong doing them. Would love to get them up to two full plates.
  • CarlKRobbo
    CarlKRobbo Posts: 390 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Not my Best, I've pulled 2.5KG over this..... This make me Laugh - The gym lads discussed if i would get this - The answer was "Yes, he will - Not through strength, but coz he will NOT let go, will not give up"

This one, I was particularly pleased with. 220KG\485Lbs was a weight i had been pinned by in my past

Advice - I'm an agresssive lifter, so volume down...

I've hit 232.5KG\512.5Lbs Pass, and 237.5KG\523Lbs Fail (Commands) since this

Heaviest Bench to date:

Building back to all this, slowly, 4 months off has not helped. Squats going well, Bench is weak, and Deadlifts are Submax Single at 250KG\551Lbs... 7 weeks back in, Sucks being so weak :(
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Nice lifts! @CarlKRobbo

I kinda get the whole weak train after coming back. Nervous for what my squat and deadlift are going to be like reloading late next month.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    5kg pr on two board press today! Hit 100kg/220lb for a relatively easy single.

And all your dips and pull-ups are giving me the sads. The strength is there but my shoulders utterly hate both movements.