WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2016

Options

Replies

• GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Hi gals,

Becca – this story is great, is it autobiographical? And yes I am proud of the choices you made!

Katiebug - WAY TO GO!!!!!!! And what a beautiful place.

Miriam – excellent – way to go!

Michele – even though you can’t drive you are so consistent in your life, I’m impressed.

Kim from N. California
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    ⚓️
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    I got my iPad back. Charlie and I were going to drive out there and I know my sister would have loved to go with me but she would have wanted my friend to take us over to her daughter's house to see the goat farm. My husband showed no interest and was quite bored over the pictures. But she had to go to the Vet supply store and it's a couple of miles from me so I met her there.

Charlie has this 'idea' that since he has this ulcerative colitis and he has a pretty probable chance of having diarrhea after supper and during his time of Karaoke, that it would be smart to just not eat supper. So I told him if he doesn't want to eat supper I will just go onto church and have supper at church. They have supper every Wednesday evening except during the summer. Now the menu isn't always great but they publish it at the beginning of the month so when they have saurkraut and sausage. That night I will stay home. I did see one guy bring his own food in tonight so I guess I could do that. I feel that I only experience about half the fellowship of my 'new' church of 2 years. I was able to put more faces to names tonight.

Becca, continue your book, can't wait to know more about this gothic teenager, or the beach or the note, the beach. Just whatever comes up next.

Heather, I read a short story on the birth of the little prince but it didn't show any pictures. I did see that little Prince in the UK will be on a stamp.

Joyce, Indiana
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    stats for the day:
    ride hm 2 gym- 12.46min, 14amph, 138mhr, 2.9mi = 116c
    SPIN- 40min, 86ar, 93aw, 10-14g, 145mhr, 10.6mi = 329
    ride gym 2 dome- 6.15min, 13.7amph, 143mhr 1.4mi = 69c
    ride wk 2 hm- 54.04min, 11.3amph, 130ahr, 153mhr, 10.1mi = 497c
    total cal 1011

Woozers, Pipster, I'm blown away, MUST best the wind here :)

Janetr OKC
  • janetr7476
    edited April 2016
    Options
    drkatiebug wrote: »
    Cut the grass right before dinner. If takes an hour and a half if I go straight through with no break, which is what I did. Of course I was hot, sweaty, and dirty so I needed to shower before relaxing with dinner. Just for kicks and giggles, I stepped on the scale before getting in the shower.

Drum Roll..........199.4.

Hopefully it will still be here for the "official" MFP weigh-in on Friday morning.

HOORAY!!!!! I'm plum dizzy from spinning around the room doing the Happy Dance with you. Way to go, you're showing us all how it's done. The hard work and determination is paying off. Good going.

Later - Just thot I'd throw it out there, you got an extra room? I wanna live at your house :) Looks like a lovely place to be. I've never been to the Carolinas or Georgia, well none of the East coast, except Florida as that's where Jack was raised. Some day I'm going to make it there.

Janetr OKC
  • CSSJ09
    CSSJ09 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Katie Wonderful onederland !!!!!! Yippeeeee. I am of the same opinion about mowing as Miriam. I am in the process of replacing all the grass in the front yard with trees, bushes and perennials, using as many native plants as possible. The I will expand the beds under the burning bushes and trees in the back and add some more raised beds. It is good that you like mowing. Your property is so lovely.

Karen Size 8 is a great achievement.

Michele You have one picky frog. Perhaps the steps into the pool were too high. A friend of mine lives right next to a wetlands area and says that the frogs begin to sing at 41 degrees, exactly. One degree colder and back to hibernation they go. I do know that at this time of year, they make a lovely racket.

HeatherIt is a real shame that you and DH are having a tif. I hope he feels better soon and that peace reigns in your house. Speaking of reign- Happy birthday to the Queen. I am not British, but she always appeared to be a remarkable lady. From serving as an ambulance driver in WWII to leading her country at such as young age with grace and dignity, and sometimes, great humor a la the London Olympics.

As I mentioned above, I am getting rid of the lawn. It was another day of digging, composting and planting. It was a good thing that I worked outside much of the day. A friend and I combined errands (I have the Costco membership) and he has the big pickup for loading with compost and mulch. He had coupons for Burger King buy one get one free and for the first time in well over a year, I ate fast food- over 1,000 calories for just the single whopper and small fries. If I do go to a chain, I always get the salad but not today. I should have paid for my own meal and had a salad since I felt out of sorts after eating the junk food. However, I ended up below my allotment so it was not a complete disaster.

Tomorrow I get back on a horse for the first time in 3 weeks (before Peru). I can finally fit into my 28 full seat riding jeans. We shall see if I can pull up the dressage boots over them.

Nitey night

CJ
  • janetr7476
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Katla wrote - " Anyone else remember Laugh In with fondness?"

Loved it, brings back the "good 'ol days" for sure. Never think of it without smiling.

Janetr OKC
  • janetr7476
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Michele wrote - "Marcelyn - our first house got water in the basement and I know what that did, I can hardly imagine what a flood does. Thinking only the best of thoughts for everyone involved. I'd never heard of a tornado jumping over something, glad it was your house"

Living in Oklahoma, we get LOTS of tornadoes. Jack and his ex had just split up and he had moved out of the house. About two months later the ex and new boyfriend were at the family home when a tornado warning was issued. They got in a closet under the stairway leading to the second floor. The tornado took the entire second floor of the house off. The ex and BF were very lucky, personally I think the tornado strike had something to do with karma :) Tornadoes can definitely hit one building then lift back up off the ground and skip one and come back down and hit the next. They are dangerous and scary. Have had to take cover too many times for my liking since living here.

Our grandson's (Trey, Jack III) entire house was destroyed with his Mom and little half brother and sister in it during the deadly tornado in Moore three years ago this coming May. Took two vehicles out of their driveway which they never did see again. Trey's mom covered the little one's with her own body and was injured herself, but not severely. They all had a very hard time recovering from the trauma of it all. They have since moved to Arkansas, Trey is attending college here in OK.

Janetr OKC

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,743 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~
    have a load of laundry in the wash, and will throw another load in..gonna wait one more day before,going to see DFIL and the gym, think I am fighting a kidney infection,so will drink more water than yesterday.. going up to dads today and work a little more, was going to take the a.c. and microwave up today, but want to get some of the stuff out of the house first...(dads house)
    my DB is coming home today.. he got his 90 day chip and did a wonderful job in rehab, now back to reality and keeping it working for him..I have missed him, Jean much more so, she has asked me to watch momma for a long weekend once he gets back so they can go away.. Will do my best to help out..
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,275 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    All quiet on the husband front this morning. Normal service has been resumed, but we haven't talked about what caused the issue in the first place. One problem is that it was a criticism his first wife made of him that he deeply resented and felt was unfair, so it's a touchy issue and affects his deep sense of self. Plus I shouldn't have responded to his injured self by shouting so loudly. :ohwell: All is peace right now.

My friend who is walking the 500 miles of the Camino de Santiago for her 60th birthday has at last sent me the link to her blog. It looks very wet, but her little group of four are in good spirits and healthy, despite damp feet and chilly temperatures. I will relay her progress to the yoga group. She trained very hard for this. The Camino is 6 weeks of walking in all, including rest days.

So far today it has been a bit quieter next door. The digger has dug up tons of cement and paving in order to build the new extension. The pile in their front garden is the size of a truck! Yesterday was awful. :ohwell: I can hear drilling and stone cutting right now. Hate that buzzing noise.
    It did drive me out for a rare walk in the afternoon, so I clocked up some extra calories.

Drkatie - Sooooo happy for you! No salty foods before your weigh in! :flowerforyou:

I think I am about half a pound from my goal weight again. Want it off before my cruise - just because.......
    Tonight I am cooking shin of beef in Guiness. Should easily be enough to freeze half for another day. We have a cauilflower to have with it. :D I try to sequence vegetarian, meat and fish days, though we do eat a lot of fish and seafood, so we have meat less often.

Left over Spinach and Feta Pie for lunch. :D

Heather UK

• miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Dr Katiebug! Darling house! All the trees remind me of growing up in Nashville.
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Morning, all...computer work in front of me all day, designing a website (my own), and cleaning up my computer. Determinedly not thinking about the editor job that's a possibility only, and continuing with my own goals, own life. If it's supposed to happen, it will. Right? Right.

Anyone know a home remedy for arthritis? I wake up in the night with my hands just aching, particularly the right one, and particularly after a hard day's work. I take Aleve twice a day already, so another anti-inflammatory isn't an option. Thinking about compression gloves. I remember my father having my mother massage his right arm at night when he was about this age, because it was hurting so bad--he was a painter, and extremely right-handed, like me.

Dr. Katie - such fun to reach One-derland! Very, very pleased for you. It's a huge milestone.

More later,
    Lisa in West Texas. The birds are chirping madly, but it's overcast, so still dark. :)
  • Katla49
    Options
    drkatiebug wrote: »
    Cut the grass right before dinner. If takes an hour and a half if I go straight through with no break, which is what I did. Of course I was hot, sweaty, and dirty so I needed to shower before relaxing with dinner. Just for kicks and giggles, I stepped on the scale before getting in the shower.

Drum Roll..........199.4.

Hopefully it will still be here for the "official" MFP weigh-in on Friday morning.

Congratulations and welcome to onederland!!!!!
  • mrscarnevale
    mrscarnevale Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    You all seem like a wonderful group! I turned 50 in February and would love to have and give support for those on the same path as myself. I have a lot to lose but am doing this one step at a time.
    Tammy
  • Katla49
    Options
    Joyce: Congrats on getting your ipad back. DH has one and loves it. He uses is for reading because he can set the font size to suit himself. Our library offers ebooks through a program called Library to Go. Amazon is the central clearinghouse for the program and there are loads of books he can check out and read and he can set a comfortable font size. I am also a library 2 go fan, and usually read on my phone. I am content with my phone and laptop. :heart:

Heather: I'm happy that you are having a quiet morning and peace is returning. :flowerforyou:

Lisa: I would recommend deliberately stretching your hands several times a day, and just before bed time. I lace my fingers together and push them out in front of me with my palms facing out. Right now I'm doing it several times a day to extend the range of motion in the wrist I broke when I fell on the ice in January. If you write by hand, there are plastic grippers they sell that help little kids grip "skinny" pencils. I've used them with crochet hooks before and they may help.

nfx6b615awsh.jpg

I have only two things on my calendar today, and both are at the beauty shop. I have an appointment for a hair trim and one for a pedicure. Bliss!

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

Tibetan proverb: "The secret to living well and long is: Eat half, walk double, laugh triple and love without measure..."

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,743 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    morning again ladies~
    I am home at the moment, was up at dads for a bit, I am still a bit tired from this pollen thing... got a little bit done there, trying to put Taliah's curtains up and the screws are to long, will look downstairs to see if we have something comperable,the birds are singing away and I just love it,,, my brother is in flight as we speak and bless there hearts they gave him front row so that he has leg room at 6'5" sorta hard to cram a man that size into economy seat.the boys are enjoying the deck.. and I will get a few things done here and maybe try and get back up there and at least get the curtains up
    A mani and pedi sound delightful and I should treat myself.. but for right now I am trying to get things set for my daughter and grandaughter..
  • Clairblue2
    Clairblue2 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Wow! You guys are a very active group. I'm impressed! Thanks for the lovely welcome notes.

Spring in Wisconsin is lovely (we're near Madison). I'm trying to get outdoors as much as possible before mosquito season sets in. Have a natural recipe for a spray made of mouthwash, Epsom salts & beer (this IS Wisconsin after all) that promises to keep the mosquitoes away. Am hoping very much this turns out to be true!

cityjaneLondon: Hard to believe the queen is actually turning 90. Seems just yesterday the Queen Mother was doing the same. They most certainly are a healthy family.

mikesmom19: I think you are absolutely correct in that sugar causes more cravings. Am trying to eat only foods with natural sugars (fruit, mostly) to tamp down those cravings. I've had success with the South Beach Diet, but don't want to go without my fruit. I do allow myself one sugar-free Jello pudding in the evening.

Marcelynh: Sweet little ant. It's like a reflex test to wake me up. Hope your brother will enjoy the Madison area. It has a lot to offer!

tryingtolive1: You're brave to get a tat. I've given it plenty of thought. Was going to have a small flying bird tatooed on my foot when I retired, but chickened out. Didn't like to idea of going shoeless while it healed.

Katla49: Your quotes are wonderful. My doc loves the eat half part. That's exactly what he said!

Off to my low impact class. If it doesn't wear me out too much, I'll aim for an outdoor walk later today before the rain begins. Yesterday I went to a crushing core class, then played tennis afterwards. Boy, was THAT a mistake!!! Won't do that again. Guess you can teach an old dog new tricks!
  • Katla49
    Options
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    o:)
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Yay KAY! Way to go! smiley-gen013.gif

Lisa, I'm rooting for you to get the compliment of being asked to serve as editor. At the same time, I sympathize with the quandary it will put you in if you are asked. Obviously a couple thousand bucks a month is a temptation, but being one's own mistress is also wonderful.

On another topic, you're both brave and foolhardy to volunteer to edit my stuff. I truly appreciate the offer. :flowerforyou: Sadly, I haven't found time to write anything of my own for ages now, and I'm beginning to realize that writing fiction isn't in the cards for me. If by any chance I manage to squeeze something out - which might just happen if there's enough peer pressure - I'll get back to you.

Yesterday I ranted about the new prince who was born in Sweden. Just in case anybody gets the impression I'm anti-baby, I'm NOT! It's just that I find it exaggerated to spend so much broadcasting time on a baby that (IMHO) is no more special than any other. What's a prince, anyway? emoticon-animal-019.gif I'd much rather coo over pictures of Bea any day! smiley-char024.gif

I've lived in monarchies most of my life now, and although I can usually see a point to having a neutral national figurehead - someone who can dress up and shake hands with foreign heads of state and sit through endless state dinners - the reporting about the newborn prince simply got my goat for some reason. For the first time in my life I considered becoming a republican. (Note that I mean that in the sense of someone who prefers a republic, that is, a government of elected representatives, rather than a hereditary monarchy! No US politics here!)

I think I'm finally recovered from that flu or whatever it was. Tomorrow I'll head for the gym and see what I can do about all the kilos that snuck back onto my body when I didn't dare exert myself all those weeks.
    /Penny at the emoticon-object-026.gif