• MightyLolo
    MightyLolo Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunday Everyone!
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,270 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!
    Just got back from my day with my friend. We had a lovely time in Winchester. After the meal I bought a summery long dress for the cruise, which will also do for the beach hotel in Mexico. :D I also bought some polarised sunglasses for looking at the water in Norway. Then I stocked up at the Chinese shop with Dim Sum.

On the way home on the train I did my good deed for the day, redirecting two Argentinian guys who were sitting in the wrong half of the train. They spoke no English, so didn't understand the announcement about the train dividing. I used my very rusty Spanish to convince them they needed to move to the front half post haste. o:)

Looks like DH's team are losing the semi final. :'( Oh dear.

Posting a photo of us in the restaurant, setting the world to rights. :D

yfian1l1rdfk.jpg

Love Heather UK
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Had a great 3 mile walk with my bf, chatting about everything under the sun, the time flew quickly. Went shopping for more flowers for the side garden and made quick work of planting them. Feels so good to be out in the sun!
    Eating is out of control, not exactly sure why, but i know the structure of.the work week will help.me get back on tracj.

Karen from ny
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,943 Member
    Options
    Lisa, great advice about sustainable habits. I totally agree.

Heather, as always, you are looking good.

Sylvia, I'm so glad to see your post and to read that you are out and about doing "normal" things. I think you look great in your picture -- very young.
  • ljdw99
    ljdw99 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Other than saying hello last month I haven't introduced myself but I have been reading all the posts & trying to get to know everyone...it's not easy to keep everyone straight! I did want to suggest besides azaleas, which are great flowering, broad leafed, evergreen shrubs with so many colors to choose from, two of my other favorites...Japanese andromeda & mountain laurel think they would work too.
    some personal history to follow!
    Lois
    ljdw Ma. North Shore
  • hoovhome
    hoovhome Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    April goals:
    1. go to the gym 5 days per week
    2. 5-7 strength/toning workouts per week
    3. 1 core/balance workout per week
    4. 5-6 cardio workouts per week

As you can see, I have some aggressive goals right now. This is to kick my metabolism into high gear and burn some major calories this month. In the next few weeks I will be relocating and using my home gym and different personal schedule. I will rework my goals at that time.

Rhonda
  • aletaforeman
    aletaforeman Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Keeping it simple for now. Goal for April is to weigh/measure and journal. At least I can manage that and get that established firmly. Hi to everyone here and keep up the good work and support. :)
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Becca - I have printed out your 'novel'; planning on reading it today. Knowing how 'funny' you are and 'how you can look at any situation and see good in it' I am sure I will enjoy it.

Lenora
  • mcphilly52
    mcphilly52 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm over 60 and need to lose about 50lbs. My goal is to have it off in a year (65th birthday), so I am trying to shoot for 5lbs. at a time.
    I just started back walking 2-3mi. daily or every other day. Looking for encouragement. I have low energy, and that's part of the battle.
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    We went to church this morning. My youngest (8) did a karaoke solo "Sanctuary". And my oldest (11) and I sang in the choir. After church there was a free will offering luncheon to help out a family here in town. Mom is Hispanic, runs a small Mexican restaurant here in town. Dad works on a pig farm. Four kids, one of which, in my oldest daughter's class, has cerebral palsy and developmental delays. Mom just go diagnosed with a genetic liver condition, unable to keep the restaurant open. Anyway, most of town was there. Excellent chicken fajitas with rice and beans, guacamole, salsa. Yum. We sat with my daughters' godmother, and she was headed to the nursery afterwards, so we all joined her. First time I had taken the girls with me to the nursery. They were thrilled! "Look at this Mimi! What is this called? Can we get this? and that? and another...." So I spent more than I meant to but it will be fun for them. We got four plants for a fairy garden (one looks like an evergreen shrub, another a shrub with arching branches, and two groundcovers with TINY leaves. They were thrilled with the "sensitive plant" so we got one of those- the leaves fold up when you touch them. Isabelle found a yellow cherry tomato and thought that sounded good. Then we hit the perennial greenhouse. We got two agastache for the hummingbirds, a sea thrift (armonia I think?), a salvia with huge soft hairy leaves, a hen and chicks, another sedum with tiny leaves... It was fun but now I have to find room for all these plants! It was added fun to be with their godmother. She was so tickled with their excitement, as were the other customers and the owner.

• Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Alright, either it needs to be warmer here, or just stay cool. Last night I was Hot, then cold, all night long! We have the window cracked, so we get a temperature that is great. I know I must be doing the hot flashes thing, pre-mentalpausal and all that... Starting on Friday I woke up with the feeling of pre-period cramps, or either I am getting UTI symptoms. I didn't even do any aqua-aerobics in the pool, but just was in the hot tub. I have been taking something for the cramps, and yesterday (at the Wine & Crab Festival) I fully expected to get my period. Nope. So I suppose you can feel all the feelings of a period, (bloating, cramps etc) but not actually get it when you are pre-mentalpausal. Oh joy...

Lenora, glad you found where I started and printed it out:-)

Lets see, Becca is on her way to getting that house, and is at the bank....

When we return to the realtors' office I am filled with a sense of peace. I can't stop smiling, and Julie looks at me and shakes her head. After filling out the appropriate paperwork, I tell her I shall need to transfer funds from my bank to the bank here. Transfer funds indeed. I have been hiding accounts (from Leroy) for years, maybe waiting for this one moment.

The bank is about 2 blocks up Main Street. I decide to check out the coffee shop next door to US Bank. Maybe I can grab something healthy before I do my bank transactions. Checking my watch, I see it's about 11 AM so I will have time to people watch, which is my favorite past time. I choose a window seat at Joes Cafe, and order a café latte grande' with an extra shot of espresso. Don't judge me, I like when my veins seem to vibrate. The caffeine and the sugar making my tongue tingle delightfully. As it turns out Joes serves me. I read his name tag. He grins from ear to ear, in a welcoming gesture. I like him already. "Owning a coffee house suits you", I say. "Oh yes, and to breath in all this amazing aroma" I dramatically add, making a sweeping motion with my hands playfully. He wipes my table and coos, "It's a tough job, but you Miss, make it pure pleasure". He is about 60 yrs old, but his bold response makes him blush from his forehead to his toes. I giggle at him and I am surprised by the sound. When was the last time I giggled at anything? I can't recall, sipping quietly, watching Joe fuss about, and keeping his customers totally happy. "You just got into town yes", he asks. "That I did, Joe", I answer matter-of-factly. "Super", he exclaims. He gives me a card. "This is a frequent sipper's card. After 5 visits, the next visit is on me", he informs me, still blushing, a redness still showing on the top sides of his flip-flops. "I can sooo be one of your Super Sippers", I say to him and out pops his wide grin, and a dimple on his chin too.

At the bank everything is so low key. No separations between customers and tellers. We might as well complete the bank transactions at Joes, it was that cozy. I ask the teller across from the desk for my balance and she hands me a printout. Looking down the columns I mentally cross off all the debit receipts I have had since my journey started, and that is when I notice the deposit dated two days ago. That can't be correct. Giving it back to her I circle the deposit amount of $500,000.00 with a red pen from her pen holder. "This is not mine", I inform her. She looks up at me with wide eyes. "He said you would say that, but indeed ma'am this deposit is correct", she meekly says. "Who said this", I implore, both hands on her desk leaning in. She opens her desk drawer retrieving an envelope. She hands it to me, leaving before I have a chance to stop her. It is my fourth envelope and I am beginning to feel annoyed by this dude.

Dear Rebekah,
    I realize this must be so annoying and frustrating for you. Know that I care for you more deeply than you will ever know. I simply wish for you to be happy. I adore the sound of your laughter.
    Love always,
    D.S.

I jam yet another note in my purse. Should I be scrap booking all of these notes and letters? Pressing the roses flat with cut out letters from different magazines spelling out, 'My Creepy Guy'. It's slowly coming to that creative need. I calm the flustered teller saying I did remember that deposit, (like what normal person forgets that?), and hastily leave the bank to return to the realtors office. Parking near the office, I stop by a fruit stand nearby and buy a Fuji apple. My favorite. I decide hands down it is the most tastiest one I have ever eaten. Getting back to Julie I sign my name and my life over to this house. Julie and I giggle uncontrollably, as I get apple juice on some of the contracts. I am so not professional, at any of this, but Julie is having a blast. "You are my favorite client ever" she shouts. "Really?", I splutter, getting apple bits flying here and there. That is when she gets a serious look, then smiles into a big grin, handing me the large ornate key.

I walk back to the Spark in a daze. It's when I take out a long gold chain from the glove compartment. The only jewelry my father gave me. I unlatch it, stringing the key back on it. Slipping it over my head, I decide only to take this off when using it on the door, but otherwise it is on my person at all times. This key means something.

Now I need to get to actually start writing this, not just proof reading what I have, making corrections, and adding stuff.

Becca
    Oregon

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,949 Member
    Options

The four of us who went over gabbed non-stop there and back, as well as sitting and having a glass of wine and talking for four hours after we got to the motel. I finally put into words something I've been thinking about a lot of late--for me, last year and this one have been my "Years of Yes." Shonda Rhimes put out a book titled "Year of Yes," and while I found the book to be a litany of first-world problems, the concept truly got me thinking. I have a tendency to say "No." And "I can only..." and "I don't..." As in, "I can only exercise in the morning," and "I don't run," and "I can only drive for a couple hours," and "I can only do one thing at a time well," and on and on. The list is endless, honestly. I've shed quite a few of those since last year, including publishing the two books that are up on Amazon, and driving for hours, safely and successfully, among many, many others. I think we tend to see in black and white, at least I do, and we embrace our negatives and hold them to us as part of ourselves.

I'm trying not to do that anymore.

And on the weight side, either Katla or Barbie said it already, but the key for me is to create sustainable habits. Making a habit of choosing the right things--air-popped popcorn as a snack instead of chips, grilled instead of fried, smaller satisfying amounts of good food, instead of larger amounts of high-calorie, high-fat and high-sugar items are things I can sustain. And being here on MFP, and with this group, helps me keep those things in mind. All of these things, I can do for the rest of my life. It always worries me when I see some of us on super-low-calorie, or fasts, or other things that work for now, but that we simply cannot sustain for the rest of our lives. I'm trying to look at all the choices I make regarding food and my weight that I cannot envision doing for years to come, removing those and replacing them with things I can keep doing.

May you all have a happy and peaceful Sunday.

Regards,
    Lisa

:)LIsa, Thank you for mentioning Shonda Rhimes' book "The Year of Yes"....I found a TED talk she did on the subject and you jogged me into finding the book at the library so I can read it. The concept fits into my choice of "alacrity" as my word of the year (I will greet all experiences in my life with cheerful readiness)....also the phrase "create sustainable habits" is not mine but the concept fits into the way I live my life now. I tried a lot of ways to eat and exercise and have kept the ones that will work in my life forever.

:) Once again, reading this thread reminds me of the behaviours and attitudes that are most important.

:) Barbie from drizzly NW Washington

Be kind, no exceptions
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    It feels good to be reading regularly again!

I just made four breakfasts for this week and am going to portion some raw veggies to take in my lunch box. Before I go to bed I plan to have some lunches and dinners planned.

I've been messing about, not eating properly and not exercising. And--big surprise--I'm not liking myself and am very unhappy with my lack of muscle tone. So, I decided that this week would see me back on the right track. I have run into a snag, though. I got the all-clear from the orthopedist last Tuesday and, by Thursday night, my shoulder/arm hurt! I have lost a great deal of my range of motion, too. I think the issue is in my bicep rather than my actual shoulder but, regardless, I will be on the phone tomorrow to set up an appointment. I am very discouraged!!

In the meantime, I will try to walk more and find ab work that doesn't involve shoulders.

:heart: Carol in NC
  • CSSJ09
    CSSJ09 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Got my yard work done this morning was hoping it would make me feel good getting it done but just feel kind of blah. Hurt my shoulder starting my new gas weed wacker. So going to wait till tomorrow to go to gym. Hopefully it will feel better tomorrow. Worked out pretty hard yesterday and feeling that too. Lol. Hell getting old. Have a bridal shower to go to then a cookout today.

For all those that are garden/plant people. If I take out some bushes is there anyway besides grinding the stumps to get rid of them. I have seen several products advertised that you just drill holes in them then pour stuff in the holes and they eventually just rot away. Just wondering my best plan of action.

Anne in Wisconsin

Hi Anne,
    The best way is to grind. Think about it. If something is harsh enough to dissolve a stump, think what other long term damage it can do to your soil as well as the connected water system .
    CJ
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,587 Member
    Options
    stats for the day :
    jog- 13.23min, 137ahr, 152mhr, 8.56ap/min mi, 1.5mi = 146c
    other - shoulder stretches, 6 diff, 2set/15 or 20, some w/5# weights, 4sets of 200 = 137c
    toal cal 283
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    OOooooo, Becca - Took it on my walk with me; found out quickly I can't walk and read any better than I can chew gum, pat my head and rub my tummy. So, I sat down on a fallen tree and read 9 pages thus far. I picture the home looking much like the one in "The Karate Kid" (1st one). Inside I could see one big room with 4 trees in it; I wondered how your slippered feet felt walking across the room. I just did not see the (square??) house sitting by itself. I don't know what Mr. Meogi's ethnicity was; but, I could see a porch around it, hidden by a privacy fence. I live in GA so the beaches we're used to are (at the Gulf) white powdery sand; (on the Atlantic) it is hard wet sand (more beige in color). On both coasts there's an Intercostal Waterway (beaches are separated by water from the mainland). Mangrove-like trees (and others) hiding the houses from the road; houses overlooking the ocean. I picture a 2 tire lane sandy road going up to the house. With moss hanging from the trees. Down here in the South, we have Cicadas that make a loud noise during the day - a constant; but, summery sound from this beetle-like bugs that die and go undergrown (not to appear again for 17 years). I noticed them last year (but, can't think of when I last heard them - surely this is not an once-in-17-year thing where you don't hear them the other 16 years. We've always lived near wooded areas and now out in the country surrounded by planted pine trees. Maybe since that was 'in California' my vision of the house is not far off. Has to have had a wrap around porch that you could open the walls up and see everything around you. Don't see much dirt or grass (only enough grass that you could make 2 passes around house with an old fashioned push mower. Surely a rock garden with Bonsai trees in containers. I love the story so far ... LOVE IT!!!!! Just go with the creative juices filling that head.

My DFnL was a 'hoarder' and I am sure that my DMnL would have loved to have been able to escape it. I think that is why she enjoyed her job(s) as a "Nanny" for some well-to-do families that either lived on the St. John's or had beach homes. We got to stay in them a lot of the time when she was 'house-sitting'.

I can't wait till the 'next' installment.

Lenora
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    :)
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening Ladies,

Kim, the gardening job sounds like a dream come true. I will definitely keep my fingers crossed for you!!! Would the pay be what you need?

CarolNC, I hope the midnight players are finished for the season and you can get some sleep.

Margaret, thank you but your aren’t late. My birthday is Today and the others were just early. :) :_)

Kay, you notice that sometimes I take the time to do the cute Smileys and sometimes I don’t have time, but glad you like them. No time today, I fear.

Alco, welcome to a great place for support and information. Please tell us a little about yourself to help us get to know you. We also ask that you sign each post with the name you want to be called and a location, general or specific.

Katla, sending good vibes to find a buyer for DS’s sailboat.

Miriam, you would think that by this day and age, someone would have come up with a system to allow those on Disability or any assistance program to earn more without losing their benefits. I have a number of friends on Disability and know that they struggle to make ends meet but like you say, it’s not worth it to try to make a little money. I hope this will change in my lifetime.

Barbie, I do hope in the near future you will be telling us about the wonderful results you have had from your acupuncture. ((((Hugs))))

MicheleNC, it sounds like a good skype session with your son. I sure hope that is a sign of things to come. (((Hugs))))

Allie, you and my DH woke up about the same time this morning. If he goes to bed early that is what happens. I’m happy to say that I can normally get back to sleep.

Heather, I do hope whatever is bothering DH will resolve itself soon! Some of his reactions just don’t sound like him. Sending good thoughts for both of you!!!! ((((Hugs))))

Sylvia, sorry you still have a few signs of “your little adventure” but it sounds like you are doing great!!! I love the picture of you and your space. Once your health is straightened out you will get those pounds off again. So happy for you that your Art Walk was a huge success. Keep up the good work but please try not to overdo and take care of yourself.

Pickleheadedgirl, welcome. I’m guessing your “monitor my diet in writing” means to log it in MFP? If you log everything that goes in your mouth and stay within your calorie goal, you will be successful. Please tell us about yourself and sign your post with the name you want to be called.

Pip, I hope the rides went well for you and Kirby.

Sherean, welcome. To begin, I recommend that you come here every day. Also, log everything that goes in your mouth. Remember that weight loss is 80% what we eat and only 20% exercise, so don’t let that get you down. The first thing I did when I started MFP was go to the Food Data section and research the calories in most of the foods that I liked. From there, I could see what I needed to eliminate from my diet and what I could eat more of to keep from being hungry. That in itself was empowering to me. I lost 60 pounds in a relatively short period of time. I would like to lose 20 more but even my doctor is happy with this weight. You are young so this should be even easier for you. I’m turning 69 today and I will tell you that I feel much better than when I was 51. I am also off my diabetes medication and acid reflux medication. I love that! We don’t consider this a diet but a lifestyle change. When you reach your goal you don’t go back to your old way of eating but continue on your journey. You can do this so just don’t give up. When you screw up, just start again. Good luck!!!

KJL, I never see anything that looks like it’s censored. Do you find that in this forum or elsewhere? I just come here so if it is elsewhere then I understand why I’m not seeing it.

Larisa, very nice testimonial. Thanks for sharing with us.

Lisa, glad you had a good time at the writer’s retreat. It sounds like the trip was as good as the event itself. I love some of the points you made in your post and need to give some of it some serious thought. Afraid some of my habits aren’t the kind I want to sustain. Thanks.

Heather, what a wonderful picture of you and your friend at lunch. So glad ya’ll took care of all the world’s problems. I can’t wait to see your new dress. *hint, hint*

CarolNC, glad you are reading regularly and getting back on track. You know we are here for you and I know you can do it. ((((Hugs))))

m1277.gifto any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

I’ve painted the trim around the front door. I put wood putty on the mailbox post where some of the wood has split and sanded it twice. Once more and it’s ready to paint. All that is left is the trim over the garage door and I’m pretty much done. I wanted to do it today but couldn’t get DH to play. I want him to help move the ladder so the job will go faster, Tomorrow the handy man is supposed to come back and finish everything. That will include painting the shutters after priming them. This afternoon I had lunch with a friend at the Moose before a rehearsal for the installation of officers on Wednesday. DH was going to take me to dinner for my BD but we decided to wait until Monday or Tuesday since I had lunch out. A nice relaxing night at home after a beautiful day. Oh yes I have to pain the back door into the garage. And the board under the sliding glass door out to the screen porch. I’m sure other things will come up too. Keep up the great work my friends. I hope all of you have a healthy and happy day. good-afternoon-smiley-emoticon.gif]

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC