WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2016

Options

Replies

• Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Home from a lovely visit with family in Colorado. Spent a day in the mountains helping my brother breed cows. It was like old time as we were working a herd of some people I haven't seen since my 4-H days 40 years ago. I spent the second day with my sister-in-law at her store. She makes beautiful custom jewelry. I bought a fantastic turquoise and silver contemporary pendant. Good visit but glad to be home.

Marcelyn
    Home in Houston
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Joyce: You have some stressful times ahead. I visited my dad when he was in the hospital after a massive heart attack. I was 12 or 13 at the time and appreciated being included. Every child is different. You have a lot to deal with right now, and all you can do is your best to make good decisions about who will be there. (((HUGS)))

Carol: Congratulations! :bigsmile:

Sea Lion Number 2 kept me awake for a long time last night, but eventually I got some sleep. I feel chronically fatigued & my brain is not in top form. I don't like this at all. Think about a barking dog that weights about 500 lbs and has a really big sound system that plays to the whole neighborhood. :mad: :yawn:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

Tibetan proverb: "The secret to living well and long is: Eat half, walk double, laugh triple and love without measure..."

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,629 Member
    Options
    If we don't have to be politically correct, then let's all just call each other names like ni**er, bi***, sp**, damnmor***, cripp**, whatever. Calling anyone a nutball is not "not politically correct" but is offensive and rude behavior. Politics has nothing to do with it. And if someone cannot communicate without using slurs than they have no business here. I am sorry, but that is a form of communication that NEEDS to be stifled. I am offended by the people that have said otherwise, and by all the folks that liked their comments. My opinion of this group has just gone down a whole bunch.

On another note, scientific research has shown NO link between phases of the moon and behavior. You see what you believe. There is a link to other forms of weather phenomenon but not phases of the moon.

I must have missed something, what r u talking about
  • pipcd34
    Options
    morning peeps- I always miss the drama, well, that's what I get for not reading everything thoroughly
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    :)
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    ljdw99 wrote: »
    Saw ortho @ New England Baptist last Friday re: my left knee. Had cortisone shots & now feel like a new person...worked hours in yard, planted numerous containers with more to do and upped my step count considerably. Wow, what a difference being pain free makes. When discussing knee replacement, Dr. was very matter of fact...2 days in hospital, 4 wks on crutches, 2 months of physical therapy and 2 yrs before complete recovery. He is world renowned and perhaps wants to manage expectations but his bluntness put me off a little. Seems to me some of you here have had knees done...I know everyone is different but I'd be interested in your experience if you wouldn't mind sharing?
    GLo on the North Shore of Ma. looking forward to another day of having fun in the dirt

Glo - Firstly, as you said, everyone is different. Cortizone shots did nothing at all for me. I had my right knee replaced in January 2015 and the left done in September 2015. I used a walker around the house for the first few days. I walked totally unassisted into the doctor's office for my two week post surgery follow up both times. The right knee I had four weeks of physical therapy and the left knee two weeks of PT before being released to full activity. I stil have some pain but nothing compared to pre surgery. I'm doing weight resistance training three times a week which includes 36 deep squats each session. I might add that I had bariatric surgery a year prior to the first knee surgery and lost 125 pounds, which was definitely a huge plus in my knee replacement recovery.

Hope this helps ease your decision to go forward.

Janetr okc
  • janetr7476
    Options
    Carol in GA way to go. Doing happy dance with you. You can do this. Great big (((hugs))).

Janetr okc
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Nikion ~ Sounds like a good plan.

LJDW99 ~ I had cortisone shots and then the gel shots you get over a few weeks intervals. At first I felt a lot better but then it got back to same old same old. At this point, I put up with the pain and have good days and bad days. I really think the weather has a lot to do with it. My mom, sis, and bro have all had the knee surgery. I am hoping that I won't have too. Good luck and hope the shots do well for you.
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,074 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Pip what you missed is the pain of mental health issues.

Rather than drama I would like to think it is raising the awareness what a family goes through when a loved one suffers from mental health. It is in many ways no different than the pain you suffered when Kirby was injured on his bike and your shoulder injury. The difference is the treatments are more straight forward than they are when a mind is trying to heal.

Because of misunderstandings around Mental Health issues families and those suffering from it do not always get the proper treatment they need. It is like Kirby has his accident and you take him to the hospital to be told he is not hurt enough. Bring Kirby back when he is truly can no longer walk. This happens in the care of the mentally ill. The pain can be unbearable and others are at a loss to know how to help.

Miriam
    was just trying to bring light to the issue because of a word choice.

:heart: Margaret
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,807 Member
    Options
    First time I have been here in over a month. Things just got out of control. My job is doing better and I am taking all the classes the offer to make sure I am doing things right.
    Got my mom moved out of her house and settled into her new independant living apartment and she loves it. The church talked to her and my sister last time mom was in the hospital about buying the house. After all is said and cleaned out they are backing out. So put it on the market. Praying it sells fast.
    Then mother's day weekend we were out visiting mom and drove over to Colorado and I ended up tripping in the parking lot of this park. Didn't see the speed bump and down I went. Fractured my wrist and cracked my elbow. Of course it is my right hand and I am learning I can not do much left handed.
    My eating has been out of control and weigh in is tomorrow. So today I am getting back on track.I have missed you all and glad to be back. Thanks Barbie and DeeDee for the messages, helped more then you know. I will read back some but for the most part just going to start from here.
    Blessings, Vicki Grand Island-NE
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options

tj6dl9oesgdx.jpg

One question ... how do you get into the half bath?
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Vicki Grand Island-NE
    Vickil57 wrote: »
    First time I have been here in over a month. Things just got out of control. My job is doing better and I am taking all the classes the offer to make sure I am doing things right.
    Got my mom moved out of her house and settled into her new independant living apartment and she loves it. The church talked to her and my sister last time mom was in the hospital about buying the house. After all is said and cleaned out they are backing out. So put it on the market. Praying it sells fast.
    Then mother's day weekend we were out visiting mom and drove over to Colorado and I ended up tripping in the parking lot of this park. Didn't see the speed bump and down I went. Fractured my wrist and cracked my elbow. Of course it is my right hand and I am learning I can not do much left handed.
    My eating has been out of control and weigh in is tomorrow. So today I am getting back on track.I have missed you all and glad to be back. Thanks Barbie and DeeDee for the messages, helped more then you know. I will read back some but for the most part just going to start from here.
    Blessings, Vicki Grand Island-NE

I was born in Imperial, NE! The Great Plains still have a claim on my heart. I am new to this thread and think it is great.

Karen in Virginia
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,807 Member
    Options
    Karen in Virginia, my folks moved to Imperial after I was married the first time. They have been there over 40 years. That is where my mom lives. It is a small world. Welcome to this fantastic group of ladies.
    Blessings, Vicki Grand Island-ne
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Vickil57 wrote: »
    Karen in Virginia, my folks moved to Imperial after I was married the first time. They have been there over 40 years. That is where my mom lives. It is a small world. Welcome to this fantastic group of ladies.
    Blessings, Vicki Grand Island-ne

@Vickil57 Vicki Grand Island-NE May I private message you?

Karen in Virginia
  • pipcd34
    Options
    margareturk - thanks for the explanation. I was plagued with depression and instability after loosing lenny. it was a drag fo sho! I remember it well. I have pretty thick skin so it would take a lot for me to be offended but if I was, I would let you know... loolol
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,299 Member
    Options
    Vicki - I am soooooooo pleased to see you. I was getting really worried about you until Barbie told us yout were still around. <3 Sorry to hear about the fall. Don't go away again. :) Pleeeeeeze.

Heather UK

• mrspaws91
    mrspaws91 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Holy cow - you ladies were chatty this weekend!

Carol - Good for you! I love my glass of wine in the evening, and find it a very difficult habit to break. It's just the way I tell myself the work of the day is done, now I can relax. As my doctor said, it's not the wine that is the problem for me, it's the snacking that I do along with it.

We had a busy weekend and I didn't get the things on my to-do list done.
    I'm trying to have the kids do their school work as independently as possible while I catch up on other things.
    Today's plan -
    get 12,000+ steps in
    follow my diet plan
    get caught up on grading
    grocery shopping during #5's Boy Scout meeting tonight
    take the boys clothing shopping... I learned the hard way yesterday that the only thing worse than taking the two teenage girls clothing shopping is bringing along their teenage brother. ;)

Barb in Colorado

• MightyLolo
    MightyLolo Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Nikion901 wrote: »
    If I were still a married woman, today would be my 52nd wedding anniversary. On this day 52 years ago I weighed 128 pounds. Today I weigh 262. I have had gains and losses over the years but have never gotten out of the overweight status in the past 29 years. Today I set new goals on my MFP profile. I am no longer focusing on the huge amount of weight I need to eventually lose. Instead, I am looking to shed just 10% of my current weight. Otherwise, it's just too depressing.

Good for you; breaking it down into goals that are easier to handle is a sound strategy.

I just weathered what would have been my 20th anniversary. I was unprepared for how hard that was. Lesson learned. Virtual hugs to you! :heart:

Larisa in Seattle
  • janetr7476
    Options
    Vicki NE - So so good to hear from you. Sorry that you have gone thru some rough times and the fall and injuries sound very painful. Big (((Hugs))), glad you're back.

Janetr OKC