WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2016

Options

Replies

• klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Lost my last post! Thanks for all your support. I can't tell you how checking in with you all helps me! KIM the lawyer said exactly what u said!!

There are a lot of Karen's on the forum so I am changing my new name to. Drumroll please......
    NYKAREN. not as cool as Irish Terri but I hope it makes it easier for all of us Karen's out there. Cheers!
    NYKAREN
  • KathyH250
    KathyH250 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    A little more info on the way. I'm 54, single and am a homeowner. I love to knit, hike, birdwatch, read and write. Travel is another passion though I've got no big trips planned for this year. I've been at the same job for thirty years in September. I'm new to MFP, as a regular visitor anyway, and am trying to find some people who will motivate me and who I can chat with.

So, HI!
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,675 Member
    Options
    M
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    NY Karen- glad you are hearing the same thing from different sources. Breathe

Becca - glad the stone is the cause, and sending hugs for thursday and wed. tops.... you have this! and I'm with you and DH 4 hours of driving for 5 min of chatting... really ? DH's health (4 hrs in car is not good for the knee), your time, your budget (gas), the environment, no wins ! just following the silly rules....

smiles Kim in N. Cal
  • debbierichardson7186
    debbierichardson7186 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Lost 2.5 lbs since last weigh in.
    I love reading the posts. I'll get better about responding soon. My grandchildren are coming on Thursday and I'm excited. My daughter is moving to China in August. Handling it well so far.

Debbie in TX
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,972 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I think I've cracked the calorie counting and the lbs are coming off slowly. I now need to move on to some serious exercising. I have a Garmin and count steps but I think I need something else. I don't like gyms full of muscle bulging men and twenty something skinny women, I find it intimidating. Does anyone use any online training programmes they could recommend?

:) I do strength training at home using my own equipment. I read a book called "Strong Women Stay Young" and followed their beginner program. I have gradually bought weights (dumbbells and adjustable ankle weights) and modified the program using ideas from "Strong Lifts 5X5 (look for that online). I get up very early in the morning and walk for about two hours before I start the regular activities of my day and take dance classes with many women in their 50's, 60's, 70's, and 80's. For dancing at home, I bought the DVD set of "Sweatin' to the oldies"

:) Keep reading this thread and you'll get a lot of great ideas.

253149qtzkf0ld22.gifBarbie from beautiful sunny NW Washington t113030.gif

My word for 2016 is "alacrity"....I will greet all experiences in my life with cheerful readiness
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,972 Member
    Options
    :)Becca, best wishes to you and hubby on his procedure....I'll bet when you explain the driving time, they'll find a way for a phone consultation
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Becca, am thinking of you all the time. Can you stay overnight in order to have the anesthesiologist consult and then the endoscopy. Enjoy the night in a hotel.

Karen NY, that was Janetr that as looking so pretty, not me.

I am now down to 202, so close again. I so want to be in that wonderland again. I would say I can taste it but I don't think that is the best thing to say.

DJ, since Charlie's stoma is so new, it is swollen. I don't know how long it will be before it is it's permanent smaller size. But you are right, When it is it's normal small size I can order bags that have a precut hole. Until then I have to cut the hole myself.

Joyce, Indiana
  • pipcd34
    Options
    N
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Linda from N CA: Welcome! :smiley:

Heather: Glad to hear your DH is feeling better. I love the narrative of your adventures and you can post pics when you get home. :flowerforyou: Your son's new greyhound shares her name with my DGD. It is a good name. :wink:

Kim & Lisa: Don't forget that decaf isn't caffeine free. It is lower in caffeine. :noway:

Becca: I'm keeping you and your DH in my most positive thoughts and my prayers. (((HUGS)))

My next-door neighbor is looking forward to retiring from her current job soon and wants to work for Weight Watchers as support for a few local groups. She lost quite a bit of weight with WW, has kept it off, and she loves the program. I hope it all works out well for her. I'm not partial to the program for myself, but many people participate & are successful because of the social support they experience within their groups.

Yoga today was a challenge. I don't go to Monday yoga very often and the teacher is very challenging. Her idea of yoga is not quite the same as mine, but I get a good work out. Tomorrow I go to have a car fog light replaced and plan to go clothes shopping on the way home. I hope I find some nice summer things. I'm down to two nice summer tops and a bunch of exercise clothes. I use the exercise clothes but want a few more nicer things for social occasions.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

Tibetan proverb: "The secret to living well and long is: Eat half, walk double, laugh triple and love without measure..."

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

June Resolutions :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • Igilchrist
    Igilchrist Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    At the beginning of this new way of eating, have any of you felt like giving up within 3 weeks!! I'm finding everything so time consuming as with the trainer I'm working with wants me to count my Carbs, Fats and Proteins. I'm always too low on proteins!! eventhough i have protein shake and or bar each day. Anyone have any suggestions for me. thanks in advance.
    Irene (still very new at this)
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,787 Member
    Options
    exsausted ,long day going to bed~ check in in the morning xoxo
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    <3
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,879 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies: Went to the YM this morning for water exercise. I really enjoy the water especially this time of year. went to a concert at church yesterday. It was a fund raiser for a local music scholarship. Two groups plus a young lady who won the scholarship three years ago and a young man from this area singing country western. DD went with us.

Michele - We have seen two garter snakes here since we moved in, one in the brush near the driveway and one in the barn. Both were fairly small, not anywhere near five feet. We have not tried to evict them as they eat rats and mice and hopefully moles.

Miriam - So sorry about the kitty but glad he was with you.

Barbie - Your workshop sounds like loads of fun for you!

Heather - Glad you are enjoying the cruise.

Becca - Oh no! Another drive to OHSU. Stay strong and glad you got some info.

Healing angels to all who need them and congratulations to those with victories. Sue in WA
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday. Why do the weekends I am off go by so fast. My mom and sister were in town on Saturday for a baby shower. We nice to spend sometime with them. Then yesterday we went to Lincoln and spent the day with our daughter and grandchildren and went geocache. Was a fun day. Saturday night we had two of our grand daugthers for the night. They are 7 and 8 and cousins and get along great.

Friday after work when I got home the doctor's office called with the path report on my arm and it was positive, so I go in on the 13th and they will cut a bigger peice out and hopefully get it all. I admit I am concerned and just want it over. Prayers are most welcome. Thanks ladies.

Becca--Sorry to hear you and DH had to go all weekend with no anwers. Pray someone calls you today and lets you know what to do next.

Heather--Sorry to hear DH is sea sick, hope he feels better soon.
    Well I am up to top of page 13 and time to finish up the day. I have to run over to Lee's after work and see if I can help her set up this typewriter she just got. I was over Saturday and got most of it and after I left she found some more things she needs help with. So do that they go home and chill out for the evening. DH and DD rode the motorcycle up to North Loup and will not be home for a couple hours, so going to enjoy the quite time.
    Blessings, Vicki Grand Island, NE
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,328 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • pipcd34
    Options
    P
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Becca – I’m glad that your husband fought hard to stay ‘here’ for you and that he (and you) have a ‘new’ perspective on life. I’ve had several bouts of ‘near-death’ and I think each time we both had a ‘better, newer perspective on life’. Quite often, it is ‘humbling’ to say the least. Make the BEST of it!
    Your aunt’s quote ought to be your ‘mantra’. We’ll be praying for y’all.

Kim from N. California – We used to have a beagle that did not ‘bark’ unless there was a ‘real’ reason to do so. We could tell if she was just ‘barking’ because she has heard another dog barking. All we had to do is ‘hit the window’ and she’d stop. However, if she was ‘barking’ AT someone; she had a ‘bark’, ‘growl’, ‘bark’, ‘growl’ and she would NOT stop for any reason. One night DH was ‘out of town’ and we had had a couple of ‘rapes’ in the area; so when she would NOT stop, I called 911 and told them she was using this particular bark. They sent a car who shown a big light all in our yard, out into the woods, in the neighbors’ yards, going real slow. She stopped barking and I went back to bed. About 15 minutes later a knock came at the front door. I about ‘wet the bed’ it scared me so bad. I got up and quietly went to the door. Thankfully, I had left the light on, I looked out the peephole and the officer was standing there. I unlocked the door and jerked it open and told him ‘YOU SCARED ME HALF DO DEATH! I was NOT expecting a knock on my door! What were you thinking’? He said it was department policy that ‘if’ they got a 911 call; they had to follow up, which meant they had to check on the person in the house who had made the call. DAMN! I already knew he had not seen anything! But, I guess it makes sense. I’d hate to think I had to call 911 now, living out from town, and down a long driveway. We’d have dogs barking for a mile!

Lgilchrist – My DOGD is on MFP; and, she counts ‘macros’ which means she goes by how much carbs, fats, proteins, etc., she has taken in to decide what she needs to eat to make up for what she hasn’t taken in enough. I, personally, don’t see how it works; and, I think it would just frustrate me. I count calories; and, I know if I don’t drink enough water or exercise enough; it has a lot to do with my body’s fat % and my muscle %. Was told, when I am exercising … I need to eat more protein (snacks) … like a piece of grilled meat or a boiled egg. I’ll boil eggs, shell them, and put them in a Ziploc; and the next day … they’re gone. My husband eats them (or makes egg salad for a sandwich). He’s been very pleased with my weight loss; I only have about 10-15lb to get to my goal weight; then I will get a ‘facial’ compliments of the Weight Loss Program I am in. Can’t wait!

Vicki Grand Island, NE – Prayers for you, for sure!

"Cracker" keeps looking and DH and me; as 'if' we could do something about the 'rain'. I've missed the pool for 2 days; but, I have gotten a lot of cleaning out done. Still have a mess to deal with.

Lenora

• janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    HI<Im doing better this month with posting.2 weeks from today is surgery.
    Fri I go to In for a week to spend with daughter and grandkids.Hope I can still post,limited internet.
    hugs jane
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much ladies for your positive thoughts and prayers. We shall leave early Thursday morning, right after son leaves for the bus at 7:15 AM. I know I will be in the thick of rush hour traffic though. Bumper to bumper on the Sunset Freeway into Portland. Nothing for husband to eat or drink after Wednesday midnight. Light dinner Wednesday.

Well I about freaked out the Navy recruiter this afternoon. It was nice outside so I was laying out in the sun. I wasn't nude, but just in my bra and panties. So I come in (was it intuition I don't know but I am SO glad I did). I am standing in the bedroom which leads out into the entryway where the front door is. I hear son coming in...he is walking slow and saying..."Um mom I have brought a visitor". I see a uniform and FLY into the bathroom grabbing my shorts and asking husband to get my shirt (quietly). Oh sheeesh. I don't think the recruiter got a glimpse of me, son was blocking pretty well. If he had, my husband mentioned after he had left, he wouldn't be looking me straight in the eye in conversations. *sighes* Life as a closet nudist has its moments of scary-ness.

So on June 20th, the recruiter will come and get son to take him down to process thru MEPS in Portland. This is where my son will go thru the physical, take the Nuclear test, and see the Job Adviser. I try to not put my two cents in, because this is when my husband as a Chief shines. So son and his father have been doing a lot of discussing options, what he should expect to go thru etc.

My job sadly is to slowly let go. I remember my other sons, I would just check in with them periodically their senior year, spoil them when I could, but emotionally getting them to understand that home, my love for them happens regardless of where they are stationed at.

Becca