WOMEN ages 50+ FOR JULY 2016

Options

Replies

• DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good afternoon Ladies,

Katla, so glad you and the dog found a room with less noise. I hope it works for tonight.

Melanie, so glad you had the good workout and survived it. Not sure I would. Lol

Mary, cute cartoon. Thanks for the smile.

Jmmbrooks, welcome. This is a great place for support and information so come daily. Please tell us a little about yourself to help us get to know you. We also appreciate it if you sign each post with the name you want to be called and a location, general or specific.

Cheri, I love the picture of you and DH. Thanks for sharing. I hope the move goes smoothly and you enjoy your new digs in Texas.

Barbie, your yard sounds like something I’d like but DH still enjoys mowing and weed-eating. It is the best exercise he gets so as long as he can do it I guess we’ll stay here. Plus, Maggie the Lab likes it.

Allie, so glad you and your Dad had a good time. I hope Tom missed you appropriately.

Mia, welcome-back-smiley-emoticon.gif. Sorry to hear about your problems but glad things are going well. If you don’t mind answering, where all did you have the extra skin removed? I’ve heard it’s a very painful recovery. We missed you!!!!

MicheleNC, that woman that didn’t speak to you after your wedding must have had some problem other than the fact that you didn’t both come kneel down in front of her to thank her for her attendance. wedding-smiley-emoticon.gif Sounds like you may have been better off. LOL I totally agree with you about using the sun screen. It’s not foolproof that we won’t get skin cancer but it has to help.

Lisa, great seeing the different pictures. Thanks for sharing. I guess because I have been so uncomfortable with my size and weight, I just don’t have many pictures of me over the years.

Barbie, so glad Jake is improving. I’ve never found men to be the best patients so I hope you have lots of patience.

Charleen, that is interesting info on the tiny houses in Bolder. Thanks for sharing. And what a beautiful picture!!!

Margaret, how arful about the bug in your ear!!!! Ewwwwwwwww That sounds like something that would happen to me or DH. Glad you got it taken care of. (((Hugs)))

NYKaren, so nice of you to help your DS. You girls have fun this week.

I have really been thinking a lot about Sylvia lately. I hope she is well and enjoying the co-op. I sure miss her and wish she’d peek in once in a while.
    pretty-pink-welcome-smiley-emoticon.gifto any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

Even though they aren’t allowed, we had lots of fireworks in the neighborhood last night. Long and Loud! For the first time in 9 years, there were none on our street so it was nice to wake up this morning and not have to clean up the debris from our yard and street. DH just brought Maggie Lab in so she wouldn’t bark at every noise. It finally ended a little after 11:00. Today is line dancing. I’m looking forward to it. In fact I need to go get ready. Sending love and good thoughts to all of you and I hope you all have a Happy and Healthy Day! rainbow-smiley-emoticon.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, blow.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,727 Member
    Options
  • melaniemetoyer
    melaniemetoyer Posts: 50 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Good morning ladies, hope the day finds each of you better than yesterday!. So, I'm back at work, (in the office today, go BACK to New Orleans on Thursday). I felt ok when I awoke this morning, but as I sit here at my desk, the soreness & stiffness is beginning to surface. Took some Advil, and hopefully that will ward it off. I might just need to MOVE around some. If it weren't soooo hot here, I would go walk, perhaps I will go this evening.
    So, I achieved something they (the workout facility) referred to as "epoch"(?) , which means (as I understand it) that the body will continue to burn calories for up to 36 hours AFTER the workout is completed. :) Not sure how I will be able to measure that, but, I knew that I didn't need to eat back the 512 calories I burned yesterday from the workout. Just wish I could burn that many on a regular basis. COULDN'T do that workout everyday, but may go ahead and "invest" in the myself & sign up for 1-2 weekly sessions.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,367 Member
    Options
    Katla - Gracias, pero tu puedes utilizar "tu" conmigo. <3<3<3

Lisa - Thanks so much for posting your photos. All of my fat photos are on my old laptop. I'll try and look one up. I don't have any of me at my worst. I wonder if my brother has any of me at the fancy dress party that was my turning point. I certainly don't. :noway: I didn't wear fancy dress (it was a 70s theme) and lurked miserably at the back of the room.

The sun has been shining today. First time in a while. Of course the tractor lawn mowers are out in force and our windows are open. Whoever thought the countryside was quiet?

Lots of love, Heather xxxxxx
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,097 Member
    Options
    Heather geraniums do not like to be over watered. It also might help to add Epson salts to the water when you do water. It gives them the magnesium they need. Hope it recovers for you. They are gorgeous when they bloom. They do best with morning sun and deadheading too.
  • snerggly
    snerggly Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    To the lady who asked about hot flashes, not sure if she will see this but I had horrible night sweats and daytime hot flashes. I think I am almost done with menopause due to my age but this supplement pretty much put a stop to any hot flashes and night sweats: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006KL4TYG/ref=nav_timeline_asin?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Smoky Mountain makes menopause among other vegan and natural supplements. ONE caveat, these pills DO NOT make you lose weight as they claim. I am still overweight after using them for a month now. They also take about two weeks to really start working. I have noticed improved energy and the end of my hot flashes/night sweats.

Best wishes!
  • annc3333
    annc3333 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    I could use some feedback from all you successful "over 50" losers! I just turned 60 this year and am on my usual summer "shape up." I managed to gain another five pounds this past school year. Ugh. So, along with the 25 I've gained over the past five years or so, it aint pretty!

The last time I attempted to lose weight was in Feb. I stuck with between 1400 and 1600 a day for ten weeks. I lost 1.5 pounds the first week, .5 pounds the next three weeks and then nothing at all for the next six weeks! Oh, and I was starving the whole time and immediately got severe insomnia--waking up at 2am and not getting back to sleep some nights at all. Of course, I got sick, and it was pretty much a train wreck all around. My body seems very adept at adjusting to a lower amount of food anymore.

Now that summer is here the only thing I have on my agenda is taking better care of myself and trying to get back to a more manageable weight. I am probably closer to 40 pounds overweight but, truthfully, I am very happy even 15 pounds under where I am now.

I am two weeks into 1300 calories a day consistently, walking twice a day to get my steps up to about 6,000 a day, plus gardening and other activity. I am afraid to get on the scale because if I do and find that I haven't lost any weight I will just lose it and give up. I am done with the scale ruining a perfectly good day, you know?

I actually think I'm making some progress this time, I'm sleeping so that is an improvement right there, and the exercise and the clean eating is certainly making me feel better so that is the ultimate win already.

My question is just how you all have managed weight loss when our bodies are so resistant to giving up the pounds? Can you give an idea of what you think has made the most difference as far as having the fat melt? I don't know if I am still eating too many calories or if I am eating not enough...(ha ha, probably not that). Maybe I need to go more into some sort of weight bearing exercises....intermittant fasting, or the opposite eating first thing in the morning...??...it can feels kind of pointless to even try anymore.

Thanks for sharing with me!
    Ann C.
    PS Sorry if this posts twice as my internet is going in and out!
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Finish mowing the lawn at the city house and sheesh I'm HOT! They say the heat index will be about 105 today and I'm thinking they might be right for once.

Marcelyn in Houston
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    AnnC ... Weights/weight training makes all the difference in my efforts to lose and maintain ... Along with wholesome eating.

Barbie ... Those comments were mean, and I'm so sorry I laughed out loud!!

Margaret ... Awful things, beetles!

Pip ... Do you want to continue the riding challenge?? Or do you need to focus and conserve for your upcoming events?

Charleen ... What a view!

Lenora ... SMH ... Shaking My Head ... At least that's what I think it means! Why doesn't your son want you to walk around the pool?

Hope you're all having a great day!

Beth near Buffalo
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,367 Member
    Options
    AnnC- It would be some kind of miracle if you were not losing at 1300 calories plus exercise, so I hope that your feeling better shows up on the scales. You could weigh yourself after a month and see if there is any difference.
    Usually when things aren't moving it's because we are making a fundamental mistake with our calorie count. I did that with my popcorn - misreading the calorie information so I was eating three times what I thought!!!!!! The physics does work, but we are human beings trying to operate the numbers.
    I haven't checked if your diary is open, but if it is then we would be able to help. Usually being hungry is not enough protein and bulk food from low calorie vegetables. Carbs don't hack it in the hungry stakes.
    I lost weight consistently eating 1800 calories a day as I was doing 600 exercise. I weighed everything and still do, even though I am at maintenance. Accurate weighing is vital. So is exercise. So is eating LOTS of high bulk, low calorie food. Good lean protein keeps you full for longer.
    I just had a VAST veggie curry, for 300 calories. I feel STUFFED. My poor DH found it a bit too hot, even though I only used a teeny chilli from my chilli plant in the kitchen. Those things are HOT !
    Good luck with your new life. You will have to change the way you eat and exercise for ever. This is not a "diet". Start by adding lots of veggies to your meals.and cutting out carbs.

Love Heather
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,727 Member
    Options
    bwcetc - i dunno.... :0/ no matter what, i'll still be riding cuz I normally do anyway, I just don't know about going as hard as I was, which means that I won't be riding to and from work as often as I was during that month. plus ALL I was doing was spinning 7 days a week when I was at the gym before it was 3 days a week.

I don't think I will. like you said, I gotta save myself for the other upcoming events, contrary to popular belief I think that is what I will do. I still may ride to and from work ONLY if the weather is really nice whereas before, I was riding no matter what.
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it was a Japanese beetle or not, I just called it a pinch bug. But when Christina was a baby, she was sitting out on our deck. It was summer time so she wasn't dressed in much. But she started screaming. I was a good Mom and checked on all the things that a kid would be screaming bloody murder about. Finally I checked her diaper. There a pinch bug stuck to her little tiny private parts. I felt so bad for her..

That picture of the Colorado mountains is so wonderful. Would be so wonderful to wake up every morning to that.

Ostomy bag still on. We have beat our record of 48 hours. We even made a note that we need to make sure we change it Thursday!!!!

Lisa, loved the progressive pictures. My favorite is you at the Opera. You are with your honey, you are in love and it shows.

Joyce, Indiana
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    Cheri - What was involved in 'winning' the rental?
    Lenora

After we had seen several houses that gave us the creeps/ickies/a little vomit in my mouth feeling we came upon this one and instantly "felt" it was the rental for us. Our realtor put out feelers to see if there were any other offers on it and indeed there were 2 others. Applications were made but according to our gal as long as the lease itself hadn't been presented and signed we could throw our hat in. To up the our chances of "winning" she wrote a wonderful cover letter stating how long we had been homeowners (over 30 years), our pride in home ownership, my husbands level of employment and much more in addition to adding a couple of bucks to the rental amount. AND THAT IS HOW WE WON THE HOUSE!

Cheri

• nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Hi All,
    This is a busy group! I think I jumped in once and couldn't keep up and was out.
    Lets see what I can do now!
    Today is Day 1 of 21 Day Fix Extreme.
    I've been "stuck" with weight over the last year -- gained actually -- after a compound of being diagnosed with Celiac and changing up my eating, then hurting my shoulder and being knocked out of many of my exercises and some definate ups and downs from the eating changes and the fun one of peri-menopause kicking all in at once.

Soooo that's a short bit about me.
    Goal Finish the program and eating program well.
    Hopefully that's a good inch or more off the gut and several pounds

I'm "fun size" under 5 foot so that doesn't give me a lot of calories... booo because eating is enjoyable... ha .. hence the stuck weight.

Nancy
  • ljdw99
    ljdw99 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon all...

I love seeing all the photos that are being posted...quite the group of women I would say!

AnnC i've been on my journey of mindful, healthfulness since February 2016 & have lost 40#s so far consuming 1000-1300 cal/day...goal is 40 more to be at "normal" BMI. I'm tall (5'10.5") & big boned so that may have something to do with my results...I lost 12#s in the first couple of wks. I don't drink any calories or eat any exercise calories. I drink 4-6 glasses of water/day which is about my limit. I don't walk much because I need a knee replacement but I do 25 min of yoga & 30 min of core & free weights 6 days a week. Also I'm 60++ love to garden & swim.
    One of the biggest things for me was to accept hunger pangs...like I'm not going to die if I don't eat something right then. I know my "skinny" friends can wait without it being the end of the world & I have to say I'm getting there. For me two meals a day works well usually around 11 AM & 7 PM. I expect to plateau soon & ive certainly learned from all the wonderful women here I've got to just keep on keeping on. Going to change out some exercises for a new pool exercise regime with noodles & foam barbells. I've also learned how different we all are in our approach but the one common thread is logging every morsel & planning meals.

Larissa what a great dress! I know you're 5'11" & I think about 15#s lighter than I am right now...You've given me great incentive cause I wanna look like you. Of course you're years younger, a red head, I'm blonde, and you lift heavy which gives you great muscle tone. I can dream!!!

GLo on the North Shore of Ma. Where we had some much needed rain this morning
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Just curious, but, has anyone heard from our ceramics lady friend and the bowling mom? Miss them but can't remember their names. LOL :'(
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Marcelynh wrote: »
    Finish mowing the lawn at the city house and sheesh I'm HOT! They say the heat index will be about 105 today and I'm thinking they might be right for once.

Marcelyn in Houston

Like that here too in OKC, humid too but not as humid as Houston for sure. I've been running errands all day and now sitting in the cool house.

Janetr OKC
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,097 Member
    Options
    Sylvia how are you?????
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Jack has to have a cancer taken off Thursday from behind his ear. It was removed several years ago and returned. It was removed and biopsied again a few weeks ago and they did not get it all. The problem with this one is that it is not just a normal skin cancer, its a type that can metastasize and/or return. We have to be across town by 8:15 am. Nothing like Barbie's trip tho, we actually have a back way we can go which takes longer but will miss traffic; but then OKC rush hour is a joke compared to big cities, that's part of why I love it, in spite of the horrible heat we have had for the last three weeks :)

Janetr OKC