Have you ever tried clean eating?

Options

Replies

• ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    How about shampoos? What if someone cannot pronounce 'sodium laureth sulfate' or 'Sodium lauroamphoacetate', does that mean they cannot use it?
    That's a whole separate topic/discussion right there.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    My local supermarket is sabotaging my clean eating efforts!

blbbi90p9rnk.jpg

Omg I love this!

Haha this reminds of a goulash powder mix i use that i have to drive miles to get!
    My local continental deli can easily get it in for me, but she won't order it in because the label is in a different language, even though the ingredients are listed in English. Her point being is that they cant sell stuff that people can't read or pronounce..

ETA: Oops quoted the wrong post. I meant to quote the shopping cart post.

• tamyena
    tamyena Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I started clean eating in January, 2016. It took me awhile to get use to it, but, it's pretty standard and easy now. I read labels on everything! If there is chemicals or names on the label I can't pronounce, forget it! Oh, and I try to eat thing with 5 or less ingredients in it. Mainly eating just fresh fruit and vegetables. Ground turkey or once in a while I eat beef, but, make sure there is no hormones added. Whole grains, no processed foods!! I feel guilty now, if I have to go down a isle in the grocery store. That's where all the BAD foods are. I pretty much shop around the edges and in produce isles.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    tamyena wrote: »
    I started clean eating in January, 2016. It took me awhile to get use to it, but, it's pretty standard and easy now. I read labels on everything! If there is chemicals or names on the label I can't pronounce, forget it! Oh, and I try to eat thing with 5 or less ingredients in it. Mainly eating just fresh fruit and vegetables. Ground turkey or once in a while I eat beef, but, make sure there is no hormones added. Whole grains, no processed foods!! I feel guilty now, if I have to go down a isle in the grocery store. That's where all the BAD foods are. I pretty much shop around the edges and in produce isles.

I see you read the thread before contributing...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss2hULhXf04
  • st476
    st476 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    You mean just heathy food? I've done that before but that's why my diets never worked out. This is the first time I've tried eating what I like in moderation and the longest I've gone. I think that says something :smile:
  • Mandygring
    Mandygring Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to know if anyones tried it. Lol I'm loving it but that's just me.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I love clean food too!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,953 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    rsleighty wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I eat lots of fresh, one ingredient things. Cook from scratch as much as is practical . Whole grains as much as possible. But "clean" no. I enjoy an occasional diet soda, icecream when it fits into my calorie/saturated fat goals, chocolate, etc. Life should be lived, not endured. And, while I agree with the concept, I detest the term "clean eating ".

I'm always curious about statements like the bolded. They seem to be in opposition to each other, as I can't think of a single thing that I cook that only has one ingredient. Even roasted veggies, I add olive oil, salt, pepper and other seasonings. Most things that I cook have lots of ingredients, and though I don't consider myself a clean eater, I can't imagine a life without soups, stews, sauces, etc... Or how eliminating them based on the fact that they have multiple components makes me healthier...

What one ingredient things do you eat, other than maybe fruit?

Maybe I should have said "one ingredient ingredients ". Sounded too complicated

I always find this odd too, as when people ask for "clean eating" cookbooks (which if you mean just cooking from whole foods is basically every cookbook I have). When I cook from scratch, of course I typically use single ingredient, ingredients. I really don't think doing the semi-homemade (forget that woman's name, Sandra Lee?) is what most people think of re cooking. I think of roast veg with olive oil and salt (and maybe other seasonings), cook meat, cook starch side. If doing something more elaborate, it's still single ingredient ingredients for the most part (unless something like pasta which really is just flour and water and I could make at home but what difference does it make?). I'm always puzzled how it's assumed other people cook if not like this. Of course, I also don't think using something processed like pasta or flour or olive oil somehow makes my food less worth eating, so maybe we aren't on the same page.

Oh I have a bookshelf full of cookbooks purchased from schools, churches or charity organizations that are filled with recipes that include ingredients that are not single ingredient ingredients.

Casseroles that use frozen hashbrowns or corn flakes. Numerous recipes that call for Cheez Whiz or Velveeta, canned cream of <something> soup, or sausage. Desserts that use packaged cookies, cake mixes, pudding or Jell-O.

I know such cookbooks exist--I love weird cookbooks and have a few Iowa church cookbook from the '20s or some such, as well as a cookbook based on food in books by James Joyce, LOL and a ton of other weird things--but they aren't the main common cookbooks, IME. The idea that you have to seek out "clean eating" cookbooks is odd.

I don't know what is meant by "main common cookbooks" but my point was that a lot of people cook with ingredients that aren't single ingredient ingredients and wouldn't normally be considered clean. Cookbooks such as those from churches and schools are compiled from recipes parents, members and students regularly make.

Bittman, Julia Child, stuff like that.

Those product-based recipes are typically from the back of the product, not a standard cookbook.

Maybe I'm naive, but most people I know primarily cook using whole ingredients, not Ritz crackers. They will also use convenience foods on occasion (or even regularly for lunch), sure, but I find it odd that some seem to think that normal cooking, cooking from whole foods, is something special and different that needs a self-congratulatory name. I just think of it as cooking.

Speaking of that Ritz cracker thing ... there's a pie that is, apparently, made from Ritz crackers.

Evidently it is apple flavoured and I've heard you buy a pie shell, a package of the cheapest Ritz crackers (or look-alikes) that you can find, and the cheapest sugar laden apple beverage that you can find. You soak the Ritz crackers in the apple beverage, then plop the whole mess into the pie shell, and maybe add some more sugar and cinnamon and bake it.

It's supposed to taste just like apple pie ... without all the hassle of cutting up fresh apples.

Even though I've heard about this pie from several people, and I'm told it is a poor person's alternative to buying fresh produce, I can't get the word "WHY???" out of my head.

Oh yeah, that recipe used to be on every Ritz cracker box (maybe still is). I've never known anyone that actually made it though.

Sadly ... I did know some who made it. In fact, I know someone who made it in the last year or so!!

• rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    5 second rule! Unless it's something moist or gets a hair stuck to it. That's my clean eating.

That was exactly my thought when I read the thread title :smiley:
  • Mandygring
    Mandygring Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Was it you? Lol jk
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,953 Member
    Options
    Mandygring wrote: »
    Was it you? Lol jk

I don't know who you're directing this question to, but if it is to me about the ritz cracker pies ... no! I can't imagine why anyone would want to make a pie with crackers when they could just as easily and inexpensively make it with apples. If you're going to eat a slice of pie, you might as well have a serving of fruit in it.

In fact, I haven't made an apple pie in ages in favour of apple crumbles. I think apple crumbles taste better and I can make them with lots of fruit (usually apple + cherry or apple + apricot) and just a little bit of the crumble topping which is mainly oatmeal anyway. :)

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    tamyena wrote: »

@tamyena you do realize that fudgesticks and mayo etc all are "processed" with chemicals right?

and the fact you call food "bad" does not bode well for your journey...

I am not into "clean eating" myself but a lot of the food in your diary I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole...wtf is a sugar free fudgestick that sounds nasty.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I eat lots of fresh, one ingredient things. Cook from scratch as much as is practical . Whole grains as much as possible. But "clean" no. I enjoy an occasional diet soda, icecream when it fits into my calorie/saturated fat goals, chocolate, etc. Life should be lived, not endured. And, while I agree with the concept, I detest the term "clean eating ".

I'm always curious about statements like the bolded. They seem to be in opposition to each other, as I can't think of a single thing that I cook that only has one ingredient. Even roasted veggies, I add olive oil, salt, pepper and other seasonings. Most things that I cook have lots of ingredients, and though I don't consider myself a clean eater, I can't imagine a life without soups, stews, sauces, etc... Or how eliminating them based on the fact that they have multiple components makes me healthier...

What one ingredient things do you eat, other than maybe fruit?

Maybe I should have said "one ingredient ingredients ". Sounded too complicated

I always find this odd too, as when people ask for "clean eating" cookbooks (which if you mean just cooking from whole foods is basically every cookbook I have). When I cook from scratch, of course I typically use single ingredient, ingredients. I really don't think doing the semi-homemade (forget that woman's name, Sandra Lee?) is what most people think of re cooking. I think of roast veg with olive oil and salt (and maybe other seasonings), cook meat, cook starch side. If doing something more elaborate, it's still single ingredient ingredients for the most part (unless something like pasta which really is just flour and water and I could make at home but what difference does it make?). I'm always puzzled how it's assumed other people cook if not like this. Of course, I also don't think using something processed like pasta or flour or olive oil somehow makes my food less worth eating, so maybe we aren't on the same page.

Oh I have a bookshelf full of cookbooks purchased from schools, churches or charity organizations that are filled with recipes that include ingredients that are not single ingredient ingredients.

Casseroles that use frozen hashbrowns or corn flakes. Numerous recipes that call for Cheez Whiz or Velveeta, canned cream of <something> soup, or sausage. Desserts that use packaged cookies, cake mixes, pudding or Jell-O.

I know such cookbooks exist--I love weird cookbooks and have a few Iowa church cookbook from the '20s or some such, as well as a cookbook based on food in books by James Joyce, LOL and a ton of other weird things--but they aren't the main common cookbooks, IME. The idea that you have to seek out "clean eating" cookbooks is odd.

I don't know what is meant by "main common cookbooks" but my point was that a lot of people cook with ingredients that aren't single ingredient ingredients and wouldn't normally be considered clean. Cookbooks such as those from churches and schools are compiled from recipes parents, members and students regularly make.

Bittman, Julia Child, stuff like that.

Those product-based recipes are typically from the back of the product, not a standard cookbook.

Maybe I'm naive, but most people I know primarily cook using whole ingredients, not Ritz crackers. They will also use convenience foods on occasion (or even regularly for lunch), sure, but I find it odd that some seem to think that normal cooking, cooking from whole foods, is something special and different that needs a self-congratulatory name. I just think of it as cooking.

Speaking of that Ritz cracker thing ... there's a pie that is, apparently, made from Ritz crackers.

Evidently it is apple flavoured and I've heard you buy a pie shell, a package of the cheapest Ritz crackers (or look-alikes) that you can find, and the cheapest sugar laden apple beverage that you can find. You soak the Ritz crackers in the apple beverage, then plop the whole mess into the pie shell, and maybe add some more sugar and cinnamon and bake it.

It's supposed to taste just like apple pie ... without all the hassle of cutting up fresh apples.

Even though I've heard about this pie from several people, and I'm told it is a poor person's alternative to buying fresh produce, I can't get the word "WHY???" out of my head.

Oh yeah, that recipe used to be on every Ritz cracker box (maybe still is). I've never known anyone that actually made it though.

Sadly ... I did know some who made it. In fact, I know someone who made it in the last year or so!!

Did you taste it? I've always been curious. Seems like it would have to be salty since the crackers are fairly salty.
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    I think @tamyena typifies the typical misunderstanding with 'clean' eating.

Fudgicles? Peanut butter and Jam? Protein powders? Ground turkey breasts and store breads?

This is what we call eating normally but within your calorie goal (some mistakenly call CICO, which is really just an equation)

(I feel bad because I don't share my diary 'cause of all the haters who just did what I did. But it proves that no one knows what 'clean' eating is....)