WOMEN ages 50+ FOR JULY 2016

Options

Replies

• jmok01
    jmok01 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Just popping in to say hello and thank you for all your helpful, informative, and entertaining posts. Not able to respond individually, but I so much appreciate all of you.

Had a family picnic yesterday at the farm place where I grew up, and my sister now lives. It was so hot and humid but everyone seemed to have a good time anyway. Fortunately we could go in her house to cool off. I had an enormous amount of fun, but I ate entirely too much of the wrong kinds of food, so my weight was up a couple pounds again this morning. I have been more careful today (except for the food samples at Sam’s Club) so hopefully will be on a downward trend now.

Does anyone have recipes that would use some overripe strawberries, raspberries, and blackberries? I looked on line and recipes I found for overripe fruit are jams (nope – don’t need those calories), sweet breads or muffins (again - nope), or smoothies that use yogurt (not a fan of yogurt and don’t have any in the house) or ice cream (ummm… tempting, but nope). I’d welcome suggestions!

My thought for this week is: Hunger is NOT an emergency!

Have a great week everyone!
    Joyce in SD
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,669 Member
    Options
    barbiecat - those "monkey feet" that i wear are vibram 5 finger shoes. have been wearing them for some years now. my 2nd marathon in them, this will be kirby's 4th in them. they are very comfortable.

the MS ride is very pretty and so well supported, it would have been cool if we would have been in there huh!

nite peeps
  • ilikegardens
    ilikegardens Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Kim and Barbie, Thanks very much for the ideas. I think you're right, Barbie, that if I just let myself relax and be open to opportunities things will happen. And Kim, I never even thought about a gardening club even though it's a favorite activity.

Becca, loved your pics of the family and seeing your sons grow. They were adorable, such rosy cheeks!

Today I did the elliptical for 41 minutes, the most I've done since my surgery. But I did it before I did any weights, and so my muscles in my recovering hip were too fatigued and sore to do much. I usually can do my weights either before or after cardiovascular exercise (although it's definitely easier if I do them before), so I was surprised. I limited myself to two each of front and side planks, and managed a minute on one of the front planks.

If I wanted to post a picture in this discussion, how would I do it? I usually use my tablet, should I do it on my computer?

KarenE
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,380 Member
    Options
    Did 45 min Ellen Barrett Fat Burning Fusion DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do 10 minutes of yoga, hold my plank, then take the extremepump class.

This morning I got my breakfast for tomorrow ready (steel cut oats, applesauce, peas, cantaloupe), got dinner ready for me for tonight so that the veges will start to thaw, now making a baked potato for Vince to have sometime next week.

This morning after Vince gets up I'm going to make the chocolate tofu (shhh..don't tell Vince there's tofu in it) pie and then go work on those weeds. I know that I won't be able to do anything tomorrow since I have exercise, then bowling, then home for dinner, then ceramics, then mahjongg (Vince will only have to take me two more times...yea!). I'm going to use the silken tofu since last time when I used to firm tofu he wouldn't eat it, said it was too "gritty" (well, that's because I used the firm tofu). So this time I'm going to add some unflavored gelatin, only I'll have to guess as to how much gelatin to use.

Karen in VA - I refuse to wear Crocks. To me, they are too ugly. I got this really really comfortable pair of Reeboks at Hamrick's a few years ago. They are slip-ons, no back. But they are so so comfortable. I've called Reebok and they are no longer making them. If they ever do, you can bet that I'll buy quite a few pair.

Tuesday I'm having "Rumikub in the spa". Actually, I only invited 3 other women. One will be in CO visiting her grandchildren, the other can't make it (I don't know why), so I emailed the third and asked her if she still wanted to do it since it'll only be the two of us. She said she did so that means that I need to clean the house.

Mary from MN - I looked at the video of how to do the Russian squat (is that what it's called?). I don't know if I can go down that low in my squat. Do you need to go down that low?

Carol/Peach - you know what's one thing that I like about this site? Like you said, there are people with expertise in different areas. So when I have a question, even tho Vince always says to me "google it", the first thing I do is ask someone on here. 9 times out of 10 someone can give me an idea or help me out.

CJ - I didn't realize you were in Chester County in PA! We moved from Kennett Square.

Went out and worked on the weeds some. It was hot and humid, more humid than it was yesterday. I could feel that I don't work as hard. Anyway, I guess I was only out there for a few hours then, yes barbie, I went in the pool. Unfortunately, the water wasn't refreshing at all (92 degrees). But it was so nice to lay there and listen to the waterfall.

I'm in awe of everyone who fixes things. You go girls!

Becca - loved all the pics. You certainly make a good "proper lady". Out of curiosity, are "proper ladies" nudists in the shadows???? lol

Joyce - yea for Charlie! Happy Birthday

Marcelyn - I tried to learn Polish and it's the same way. So many tenses, formal and informal, etc.

Rori - I absolutely love golden beets. For some reason I just can't seem to eat the beet greens. Well, I don't cook them with any ham hocks or anything like that. To me, tho, the green can be so bitter. Great job on the shopping!

Lisa - have I told you how very impressed I am with your paper?

Joyce in SD - when I have overripe fruit, I usually freeze it.

KarenE - after you write your post, click on the little icon on top of where you post that looks like a piece of paper with one corner turned down. Then it'll ask you to search your computer for the pic. Click on the pic and it'll upload it here. I'm sure someone else will give you more complete directions than I can.

Michele in NC
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    KarenE, I only post here from my computer. Just above where you type your post is an icon that looks like a piece of paper with the corner turned down. If you click on it, you can add your pictures. Good luck.

DJ
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,083 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Barbie let's not forget wood rot. LOL

DJ YUM!!!!!!!!!!!

Becca fun pictures! Went out to dinner with friends and the had make your own Sundays for dessert. Yum!

:heart: Margaret
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    michele- practice it without weight in front of the mirror, act as though you are holding the horns of the Kettlebell, go as low as you can just try to improve depth before adding any weight. Even if it takes months! Use your elbows to push your knees apart opening up your hips do not cause any pain. Gentle pressure. Eventually you will be able to go deep then start to add weight.

Directions for correct form-
    Stand holding a light kettlebell by the horns close to your chest. This will be your starting position. Squat down between your legs until your hamstrings are on your calves. Keep your chest and head up and your back straight. At the bottom position, pause and use your elbows to push your knees out.

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,651 Member
    Options
    Mary and any of you other brillant women! - question about squats, so I can go about 2 inches lower than the 90 degree for a chair, and then my knees are talking to me, I can force it, but at about 4 inches below, i'm at welling up with tears level of pain and all the way down and I'm dying... so I never go below the 2 inch or so mark.. and I've been doing my version of a squat 20 a day for 3 years... never gets worse, never gets better... what do you think? just my stupid knees? form? ????

Kim
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Michele in NC~Well, our family hobbies have started and ran their course delightfully, the longest being with the SCA and Renaissance Faires (12 yrs), then nudists ( about 10 yrs)...and nooo if you don't have your head covered with a cap then the proper term goes out the window. We actually had one HECK of a garage sale and sold all our Renaissance garb and stuff to fund the Nudist resort fees! I went from corset to AHHHH in one year. Never looked back... hahaha!
    Becca
    corsetless in
    Oregon
  • fanncy0626
    edited July 2016
    Options
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    Mary and any of you other brillant women! - question about squats, so I can go about 2 inches lower than the 90 degree for a chair, and then my knees are talking to me, I can force it, but at about 4 inches below, i'm at welling up with tears level of pain and all the way down and I'm dying... so I never go below the 2 inch or so mark.. and I've been doing my version of a squat 20 a day for 3 years... never gets worse, never gets better... what do you think? just my stupid knees? form? ????

Kim

It depends on what type of squat you are doing. I would never squat or do any exercise that causes any new pain. Unless you are doing rehab for some reason. Or the pain is always there such as knee or joint pain and you are not causing injury. If you are feeling the stretch it should not be painful. If your knees are hurting adjust the width of your stance or the pointing of your toes.
    GobletSquats
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/goblet-squat
    Regular squat
    http://youtu.be/p3g4wAsu0R4
    Back squat
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VnV7vEi7Sz8

Watch these videos and let me know which one you are doing.

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Becca, loved the pictures. I have never known of anyone who actually participates in those fairs. In our area we have some different war re-enactments but none of the Renasaince fairs.

Pip, I just thought that was a picture of part of the MS ride until Barbie said something about the video. It is quite beautiful. Sure would have liked to see you two riding by so we could wave at you though. Thank you so much for doing that.

Just had to change Charlie's ileostomy bag and tomorrow is trash day and I didn't want that old bag in the house all week so I just stepped outside to put it in the trash barrel. It is so hot and humid even at 1 AM. One of the companies that make ostomy supplies provides these trash bags. I don't know if they are odor resistant or not since the actual ostomy bags are but it is nice to just open it up and dump your stuff in as you take off the old bag and clean everything up. If only the trash man knew what all is in our trash can. I'm glad it is a robot arm on the garbage truck that picks the trash cans up.

Charlie had a nice birthday today. His brother that is directly younger than him called him. They are really the only two that talk to each other. Michelle came over and we went out to Bob Evans. Her and I went to the store, this latest surgery caught us low on kitty litter and cat food. He was just now able to carry those things and now he can't again. We get the 40 lb bags so Michelle carried went with me and carried them and then opened up the cat food bag and poured it into our plastic container. Plus I can never get the strip that seals the kitty litter container off so she took care of that also. While we were gone Christina called her dad. She makes me so nervous. she waits until evening to call him and he gets a complex that no one is going to call him. So he got to talk to all his family that matters to him. I got him a single piece of cake at Walmart. hate to pay that much but I wasn't going to buy a whole cake or make one. He didn't complain as he ate it.

Joyce, Indiana
  • Sunnygirl_2015
    Sunnygirl_2015 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    <3 Rosie in So Cal
  • CSSJ09
    CSSJ09 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Becca Thank you for the recipe. I must check out the cookbook. It sounds wonderful. I love anything with oats, notwithstanding Johnson's Dictionary. Wonderful pictures of your reenactment days. The boys look so happy and involved. A great way to bring the family together between deployments. We were BAR - Brigade of the American Revolution- in New England. However, we traveled all over East Coast to various historic locations.
    Kim Love the bunny ears. Is that a Jack rabbit? The ears are so much longer than the ones sported by the local marauders in my garden. I have tried to remind mine about Mr. MacGregor, but they know I am bluffing.
    Pip I am not sure I would have the nerve to ride across a very tall bridge. But it looks spectacular.
    Joyce in SD try mashing the berries, sprinkle some Stevia, agave, or other preferred sweetener on them, and put them into ice cube trays. Pop them into water or iced teas or eat when you want something cold, sweet and refreshing.
    MicheleI am not in Chester County, PA but know the back roads after years of driving them to horse shows. I am sure we contributed to the mushroom industry every time we cleaned out the trailer.
    Joyce in Indiana so glad Charlie could have a birthday at home. Great achievement on your part.

CJ
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Joyce Happy birthday to Charlie!

Becca You were a wench either way! s1217.gif Cute, cute boys. And interesting recipe for the oat farls.

Kim in N Calif I love bunnies, even if they do eat the goodies. I had a pet bunny for 8 years. He was an albino named Flopsy. I got him when I was 9 and he died the spring I graduated from high school.

Michele NC Very sneaky you, mixing the tofu in with the chocolate! I've heard of people doing that with avocado, too, never tried it but supposed to be very creamy.

KarenE That sounds like a very admirable workout to me!

Joyce SD "Hunger is not an emergency." Yes, I like that and shall adopt it. Thanks!

Mary OMG! My quads are stiff and sore this morning LOL!!! Those goblet squats! I'm gonna have to take a hot shower BEFORE I work out today. Going to try a "get up" or whatever it's called, with no weights so I can start working on my form. Thanks for continuing to post videos, form is everything in preventing injury.

Miriam Great caulk tip! I wonder why I didn't think of that! I'm always annoyed with the way my caulk lines look and fuss about trying to make it look neat after the fact. Thanks.

Janetr and whoever else posted about hats being too big LOL! I have such a small head (6 3/4) it would be a tragedy if I lost my fathead...I'd have to wear children's hats.

Lillian Congrats on retiring. My next door neighbor Debbie retired, and her husband had plans for 18 months of various travel plans plus trips to see daughters graduate and see family. She finally told him "enough already, I want to stay home and enjoy being retired for awhile!" She is really enjoying it. He works from home (forensic accountant, very interesting job). She was an Altria exec.

I have 5 H.S. buddies who are still my dear friends. Of the 6 of us, 2 are still working (moi), 3 are retired, and 1 is in a nursing home with dementia. Seems so very odd to contemplate retirement, which is what old people do - NOT. I like the discounts, though.

Katanthus wrote: »
    I keep a jar on my counter, and drop plastic gemstones in for each pound lost. I have 15 in there so far, would like to see at least a couple more in there before the end of the month.

I like this idea! Very pretty reminder!

Pip Woweee! Love the MS ride venue. Breathtaking!

KJ That was a picture perfect day for a hardworking wonderful woman, so glad you shared it with us.

Lovely ladies Have a nice week. Stay hydrated in this heat!

Going back to sleep for a few more zzzzzzz's before I start my busy day...t2246.gif

Karen in Virginia
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,783 Member
    Options
    good morning my friends~
    well I slept like a rock and got over 9 hours of sleep.. now back to the usual grind.. making Toms dinner and lunch, and will find something for me....I am sorta having palpatations about the wekk that Tom and Zina are gone, going to see if Tracy and Tal will come down and let the dogs outside when he is gone.. as I am working long hours that week
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,325 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Good morning!
    Getting myself ready to go to the BP clinic. I'm going to get there a bit early so I can calm down first. They always have to take my BP three times anyway!
    Then I'm going to go off to our shopping mall for food and have a light sandwich lunch there. I know their egg sandwiches are less than 350 calories and delicious. Chunky breaded cod for dinner with asparagus and raita. Around 350 again. :D I'm down half a pound this morning, whicH is cheering.

My friend in Portsmouth wants to take me to a new lunch place about 10 minutes drive from her train station. That's fine by me. B) That is for Wednesday. At 67 she is going to have to go back to work 3 days a week in August. Personally, I think she is crazy travelling up to North London for a job, but she has always made the most idiotic decisions and overstretched herself. Extremely bright, but no common sense. :*

Tomorrow is the last day of the yoga term, so we will be going to the pub for coffee. One of the group is 80 in August, so someone is baking a cake. :D I will have a tiny piece. She is still quite flexible and I used to be in awe of her when I started as I couldn't do half the things she could. She has a mother who is 103!!!!

Love to all, Heather in the sunny south of England

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,783 Member
    Options
    morning again~
    geesh they are chip sealing our neighborhood today.. hate hate hate that stuff gets all under the underside of the cars grrrrr.
    say a prayer all works out at court today for Faith and Jean...
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,351 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

CJ: I love the ice cube tray of mashed berries idea! Thank you for sharing that. I struggle with water intake.

grandmallie Prayer said for Faith and Jean.

Love all the tips I find on here! I know I saw someone post a tip of making cauliflower mashed like potatoes. I can't find it, but if anyone knows the recipe, I'd love to have it if you wouldn't mind sharing. Also, have any of you made zucchini into noodles? Do you saute' them or anything before you put anything over them? Thanks in advance for any tips!

I'm trying to start some new habits. I have two books I started reading. One is called "52 Small Changes..." and the other is "96 Habit Stacking..." (can't remember full names), and am on Week #1. This week's Small Change is to make sure I drink half my weight in ounces of water. Weight/2=oz. Week 1 of Habit Stacking is to start my day by making a To-Do list each morning, rate the tasks from 1-4 (1 being extremely important, 2 important, 3 needs to be done but not time sensitive, 4 unimportant). From that list I pick the top 3 Most Important Tasks (MITs) for the day which must be done by the end of the day and tackle those first. Schedule each one on my calendar and then tell someone to make myself accountable. We'll see how it goes. I'm trying to get some of the stress out of my life, and get rid of the "I never seem to get anything done" feeling. Today, I am (1) teaching Medical Students class at the hospital in the morning, (2) completing my self-assessment for my annual work evaluation, and (3) completing a handout for the clinic nurses which is due by the end of today. I hope you don't mind my sharing that. I thought this would be a good place to share for accountability, since I come to MFP for so much of my personal health accountability! :smile:

I am really hoping to stick with these changes and progress through the books. They say if you do something every day for a few weeks, it does become part of your normal routine, so I'm giving it a try. Work is too stressful lately, but I have a really great job, so I need to come up with something to make it less overwhelming. It is not healthy to be this stressed every day.

I just saw that I posted a comment the other day on a different thread, but I thought I posted the comment to THIS thread. That group is probably wondering what the heck I'm talking about!!! Probably thinking to themselves "Gee..TMI!!!" haha! I crack myself up sometimes...

Well, I hope you all have a wonderful day! i'll check in later!

Tracie in WI

If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got.
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    KarenVA- eventually you won't have muscle soreness but I do recall that my muscles revolted the first time also. I have never done a "get up" but I do intend to add that this winter. Let me know what you think of them. Great job on your workout!

<3

Mary from Minnesota