• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    Mary .

I was looking at the mfp link and they look like two different ladies, the top "before" pic she has short blonde hair, the after pic is long dark hair... :0/

I don't know what you mean.

there was a link that on a mfp thread where it showed a before and after pic of a lady. on the before pic, she was blonde w/short and on the after pic she was dark hair and it was long

I saw it, too. Pip. :huh:

Katla
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Spent the night at a B&B in th mountains west of town. DH is still asleep. So is everyone else at 4 a.m.! :) Slugabeds... Going to try to get a little writing done while I can.

Love y'all,
    Lisa in Far West Texas
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    joyce I love reading about everyone's locations and travels as well. I definitely married a man who loves travel and does it well. Like heather's DH he can be a little tense about the before logistics of a trip, right heather? But once the sights are in front of him he is marvelous. I myself enjoy the trip home the best! What does that tell you?

Planning on today being my reset day at the gym, in front of the fridge and everywhere! Making refrigerator pickles today, yummmmmm. NYKAREN
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,066 Member
    Options
    State Fair today!
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    o:)
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,759 Member
    Options
    Did not get the pool closed. DH did 20 minutes of weed whacking near the pool equipment ... So he could have better access to the pipes/valves ... That was all he could manage. We had plans to attend church, but he's not able to move yet. As older son is home (disabled/wheelchair) and also experiencing difficulties this weekend, I think it's best I stay home.

On a brighter note, younger son is doing well in school after one week of classes! :smiley: He's met several prominent songwriters and musicians ... Some through the school ... Some privately. And today he'll be in church ... Asked to provide guitar for a transitioning church in East Nashville. Friends in the area took him out Friday night and they've invited him to dinner tonight. So at least he's good!

And I'm still moving forward with my new resolve! NYKaren .... I came home from the college drop off, cleaned the house and decided it was time to turn my attention to me! First thing to go was the junk food leftover from son. I dint usually weigh everyday, but am trying it to see if it helps keep me more aware of the effects certain foods have on my weight ... If the numbers keep going down like they are at the moment I'll consider doing it permanently! :
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Beth, how exciting for your son, sounds like he is on his way to great things. Way to go on focusing on you now. You go girl. (((Hugs)))

Janetr okc
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Lagopus wrote: »
    Lilymay2 wrote: »
    - 120 miles
    [...]
    127.5 miles this month already.....
    [...]
    Picked choke cherries and apples while I waited for people to come and pick up the things I advertised on Facebook.
    Lillian - Already 127.5 miles of what? Also, what do you do with choke cherries?

PS: We're planning a Skype session this evening to wish my mother happy 92nd birthday!

Sorry ... walking. Much better than when I was working...struggled to get to my 100 miles goal. Today I am at 131.38 miles walked.... 18 days over 10,000 steps.

Choke cherries... I am going to make choke cherry syrup... for pancakes and probably to give away because I can't have the sugar... But I grew up on choke cherry syrup on pancakes so I would like my kids to sample it...silly I know but oh well.....

Happy 92nd birthday to your mom

Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    Hi Gals,

On Irons and Ironing boards – I use mine everyday! It’s part of getting an item ready to go out the door after being embroidered….LOL

Kim from N. California

If you don't have a use for your ironing board ...here is something I seen yesterday!! If you have an older metal ironing board - take the cover and legs off... rough it up or chalk paint to make it look old. Hang on the wall and use metal clips to hold photos. Or use hose clamps to hold small jars on that you can put small items in...

Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,759 Member
    Options
    Reading through my social media and came across this post from Primewomen.com. Caught my attention because it wants to poo-poo CICO ... But thought some of you stalling with low calorie goals might find it interesting. They make the point that calorie counts come from old scientific methods and are often wrong. Most interesting, however, is the information that discusses how calories for a particular item can be different depending on processing level. For example, a steak cooked medium rare contributed less calories than one cooked well. Here's the link: https://primewomen.com/health/nutrition/cutting-calories-to-lose-weight-dont-count-on-it/

Beth near Buffalo
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,263 Member
    Options
    NY Karen - Yes, DH does get nervous before a trip, but so do I, despite my love of travelling. About a week before I always wonder why I am putting myself through it! :* It's not so much the logistics, more the fear of the unknown. I am a control freak. :blush:
    Your recent trip sounds wonderful. We recently had a famous presenter do a train trip round those parts and he ended up going down to DC, seeing all the places Katla went to. Lovely.

Going to be Skyping the grandchildren tomorrow lunch time. Can't wait! <3<3<3

My friend is coming over next Friday, so I have an extremely sociable week. I am going to host her with slimming deli food that is ready prepared. She is bringing fruit for dessert. :D

Just been watching a programme about moving to the west of France. Fabulous, huge houses for the price of a tiny one in England, but they are cheap for a reason - in the middle of nowhere and nothing to do in the winter. We did think seriously about it once upon a time and decided against it. Brexit has certainly put an end to that one. I will rent something fabulous with a pool in the summer and let someone else have the headache of looking after it. :laugh: Much cheaper and no sleepless nights.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,582 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    morning peeps -
    thanks katla- i knew i wasn't crazy

kirby is off today and wants to take twinks to the mall parking lot and practice backing up. right now the connections to the signal lights or something aren't staying connected so he's out there working on it b4 we go.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,733 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~
    woke up at 5 this morning and then went grocery shopping, brought that home and we went to feed DFIL .. he was full of pis$ and vinegar this morning, had us chuckling..
    I did some house cleaning and now sitting down and having a cup of tea..
    The restaurant we went to last night was lovely. but one of those foo foo restaurants where you pay an arm and a leg and you dont get alot of food. what we had was good.. and our friends paid for the meal.. 200.00 wow..think we will stick to 99..think between the sun I got yesterday and the glass of wine last night.. I an still super tired.. but most of the work for the day is done.. so will relax..
    My DB has all sorts of grand plans for next weekend.. I am going to be making a double batch of Blueberry french toast for up there Sunday morning, my DD boyfriend will not let me drive Taliah out of state so Tracy will be up later on Saterday afternoon...the big party will be Sunday ,and Sean Jean and I will be hosting.. lots to do..but will be fun in the long run, as my mom said we will be making memories... This will be the first time my grandaughter will remember any of the labor day goings on..
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Margaret: Enjoy the state fair! I used to go to ours every year but haven't done so in a very long time. We live far enough away that it is an unpleasant trip and DH hates crowds. Double Darn. We didn't even make it to our county fair this year which is right here in town but that was because we were enjoying our trip to Virginia at the time. I love to visit he animal barns and see the kids in 4H compete with their animals. :smiley:

Beth: Great news from your son. He is off to a good start! :bigsmile: I followed the link to the article you recommended. It turns out that liking my beef cooked very rare means it has fewer calories. Wahoo! On the other hand, I wonder whether this article will prompt people to say that calorie counting doesn't help. It could be demoralizing for those who are inclined to give up easily. I'm still very much in favor of CICO, even if some of the calorie information isn't perfectly accurate. It has worked just fine for me in the long run. This reminds me of Heather's quotation—"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." :star:

Pip: Have fun with Twinkie. Will the mall be jammed on a Sunday? :huh:

DH and I are off to a grumpy start this morning. :ohwell: He's been up since 3 am but I had a lovely sleep. Yesterday I finally had the chance to talk to DGD about her first week of school. She likes the lunch lady really well, and likes her teacher, too. She didn't mention other kids during the conversation, but she has very good social skills and I have no worries about that. DD was talking about homeschooling her and I'm thrilled that she's going to public school instead. I think I owe a bunch to her DMIL for engineering this turn of events. :heart:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

"So many of us believe in perfection, which ruins everything else, because the perfect is not only the enemy of the good; it's also the enemy of the realistic, the possible and the fun."

Tibetan proverb: "The secret to living well and long is: Eat half, walk double, laugh triple and love without measure..."

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    beth I am cleaning up as well. Had a good phone call with DD and that has lightened my heart! Baby steps, one step at a time is the way I'm dealing right now. Isn't it great to get the junk food out of the house?? so it feels wonderful to reset and Focus on you!!

NYKAREN
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,582 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    katla- not jammed, we got there early enough that it was empty. it isn't fun, it's more stressful. :0/ that *kitten* is hard!
  • Purl62
    Purl62 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Home from a marvelous vacation and have today to catch up before going back to work tomorrow. Meetings for a week before school starts a week from Tuesday. Curious if anyone uses shakeology by BeachBody? They are having a promotion this month and it looked like a good deal to get the shakes and workout videos in a package deal. A neighbor is a coach and she offers workouts in the park. I thought it might be a good way to mix things up and motivate me to get these last 20 pounds off. I'm happy with how the vacation went- was on point most of the time but did enjoy a couple treats and we were quite active. My 23 yr old even kept up for the most part, lol. We did a bike and hike tour to see the lava which was super fun, but after being used to a road bike, riding on gravel paths on not-the-best bikes was a bit challenging. Our guide lives beyond the gate, so they drove us in 2+ miles to start the ride from her house. On the way back, her son was going to ride back to where we picked up the bikes so dh, dd's boyfriend, and I decided to ride with him. Actually, he and dh raced. I know my limits not to race with a 10 yr old who lives on the lava bed! We found a great surface flow which was amazing to see. Then hiked to the coast to see the lava pouring into the ocean. Definitely a highlight of the trip.

My reward for finishing laundry, doing some garden chores, and getting organized for the week ahead will be to read posts. In a couple hours DH and I are going to go for a bike ride so he can test out his newly serviced bike.

Hope everyone is enjoying their Sunday!

Purl/WA
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    NYKaren, for the past several years we have gone on vacation with our daughter and family which includes the grand kids and our other daughter. If she were married we would take her husband. Our oldest daughter, the one with the kids refuses to let her Dad cuss or have his road rage around her children. So there is none. Now that doesn't mean he is nice and relaxed. He usually doesn't even drive because DOD is a control freak and drives. So we all went to Myrtle Beach, Panama city beach Disney World and Gatlinburg and had a great time. Now DH acts bored most of the time but we all have fun. With his ulcerative colitis we knew we couldn't go on a big family vacation but ever since he got his ileostomy his dream of traveling came back. He really wanted to go back to Disney World but I think it is going to be hard on both of us. We both will need a motorized scooter and life for the both of us has just gotten harder. I think our daughter took the decision out of our hands by planning an RV vacation out west for next summer.

I am T I R E D! I think getting back in the choir today was to soon. My arthritis really bothers me. I think I am going to have to look for my swim suit I bought through the Y that has legs on it.The scarring from my psoriasis really looks bad. But right now the only thing I can think that will help the arthritis is to join the Y and get in the pool. Our choir rehearsal room is in the basement of the church and then we climb 2 flights of stairs to get to the choir loft. And then my row is 3 steps up. I know 3 steps sounds petty but when you hurt and am out of breath, every step counts. Right after we sing our special we immediately sing another song without sitting down.

It doesn't help that when I got to church the heat index was 102. Has anyone here gone through cardiac rehab??? I am wondering how much is treadmill.

Joyce, Indiana
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Afternoon my Friends,

Kim, so glad you enjoyed your camping trip.

NYKaren, good to remember that food is just fuel. Cry when you need to but remember it will get better.

KarenVA, it sounds like a fun time planned with the grands. I loved county fairs and haven’t been to one in years and years.

Lillian, glad you have everything out of your mom’s house. I hope the garage sale is a huge success.

CJ, I love the mental image of your horse getting a mani-pedi. 1255044fie5iu2kkv.gif

Penny, glad you are home and still able to jog. Enjoy your company and just don’t go too far north. Hope your mom had a happy birthday.

Katla, good luck finding just the right horse to lease. It sounds like the wise move for the time being.

MicheleNC, cool cake. But ewww it looks so sweet! Lol

Heather, I’m glad you explained what Marmite is. I have heard of Vegemite but also heard it is only good to Aussies. Lol I’m like you in that I pay very little attention to macros. Eating much like you, with lean meats and lots of veggies, they pretty much work themselves out. I keep the carbs low although I could go crazy there if I let myself.

Kay, when you lose weight and start looking good, ya just have to up the clothes budget a bit for a while. sexy-girl-waving-smiley-emoticon.gif

Margaret, enjoy the fair!

Beth, it sounds like your son is off to a great start. That’s wonderful. Glad you are going to give yourself some attention.

Lillian, it has to be an old ironing board to still have a wooden one around. They have been metal for years now. But cute ideas for re-purposing. ironing-clothes-smiley-emoticon.gif

Beth, I kept the article to read later. Thanks. I also recently heard some doctors say that CICO alone is not the answer. Mainly because after we lose a considerable amount of weight our metabolism changes and it takes a different number of calories to keep us from gaining it back. I think the main thing is for each of us to find the amount that works for us and to know we must move a certain amount also.

Joyce, my DH didn’t have to do much treadmill for his cardiac rehab after his surgery but that has been over 20 years ago. They change things so often that who knows? Good luck.
    pretty-pink-welcome-smiley-emoticon.gifto any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

For some reason I’m just not a fan of shakes. Now an occasional milk shake could be downed if that were in my “have to” list but just not a liquid fan except for water, iced tea and well yes I do like mixed drinks. Lol I always have some protein bars on hand for the rare occasion that I need to eat and can’t have a meal at the moment. I think the shakes and smoothies are great if they work for you and I know many people put all kinds of healthy foods in them. Yesterday afternoon I had a Reception at the Moose for our State “Grand Poopah” as I call her. It was very nice and had visitors from all over the state. They served a very good buffet meal but it wasn’t until 2:00 so I had a weird eating schedule. All I had for dinner was a yogurt and some iced tea but still went over calories yesterday. Today DH was going to take me to the beach but I wasn’t feeling great so we put it off until tomorrow. I baked some chicken this morning and de-boned it for salads and we are having fish for dinner. I really wanted to go to the gym to work out but didn’t feel well enough for that either.
    Sending love and good thoughts to all of you and I hope you all have a Happy and Healthy Week ahead! rainbow-smiley-emoticon.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, blow.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • sbillue
    sbillue Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I love your goal for August--be lighter! I'm just starting MFP this week at 179.

Committed2lose,
    Sheryn