Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Alcohol and Society

Options

Replies

• betsym3
    betsym3 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    My husband and i are polar opposites when it comes to alcohol.. He drinks everyday, I drink maybe once a year if there's a social gathering.

He thinks drinking everyday is normal- I think it's abnormal.

He grew up in a drinking culture, all of his family/friends are big drinkers - None of my family or friends are big drinkers, and like me, only drink socially aka very rarely.

Personally, being with my husband has completely made me hate alcohol. Since being with him i have seen close up how damaging it is :(

I hate it too. Nothing good comes from it. Nothing.

Totally agree! I said that exact same thing to my sister in-law, and her response was "But it makes you have fun". This was the only "positive" thing she could come up with..

I can relate to this too! My husband's family has been distant to us for most of the years that we were raising our children, and throughout all three of his DWI's and hospitalizations for his drinking. We have reconnected in the past five years or so, and quite honestly, I am shocked to see the changes in them and their attitudes toward drinking. My husband also grew up in an alcoholic home, and he has not drank (but an occasional drink) in two and a half years, and quit smoking too.

To my surprise, people in his family that never drank in the past now do. What is up with that? They do not like my Facebook posts from Alanon, and think that this drinking is something that they have to do in their new circle of friends since they have retired. It's like people in their 60's and 70's that cannot stand up to peer pressure, and act like teenagers. They have even tried to sabotage our efforts by buying my husband cigarettes and alcohol. I can deal with being in drinking situations, and either not drink or have a drink (one). Why can't these people tolerate being around someone who is not drinking? Are they really this socially immature?

Anyway, I'm so glad that I rarely have to deal with this, because I rarely see these people. And I like it that way! Alcoholic behavior is not fun!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I'm disturbed by how many use alcohol as a coping mechanism. Drinking because you like the taste of wine with your dinner or like a bottle of beer is different from drinking to not deal with your problems or not being able to be social without a lot of alcohol in your system.

I don't think there need to be more laws or a temperance movement. Maybe just seeing other options for having a good time and coping with life of people not using alcohol in unhealthy ways. Maybe some honesty about how being drunk makes you act stupid and careless of yourself and others and it is a *kitten* goal. Being drunk does not make you more fun to be around. Getting drunk and expecting someone else to take responsibility for you is not drinking responsibly.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Options
    xmichaelyx wrote: »
    betsym3 wrote: »
    we have spent A LOT of money on his alcohol, three DWI's, increased car insurance premiums, damaged vehicles, the cost of three rehabs, fines, etc.

The problem isn't the alcohol; it's that the person you're describing is an a-hole.

I love drinking. I drink daily, sometimes to excess. I love beer and bourbon.

That said, I don't drink and drive, because I'm not an idiot. Addiction doesn't cause people to get DWIs or wreck their cars. Being an a-hole does.

Alcohol by itself is neither harmful nor helpful.
    Alcoholic behavior is not fun!

My gf and I are both very happy, functional, educated, well-paid alcoholics. It's tons of fun!

So much this!!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    My husband and i are polar opposites when it comes to alcohol.. He drinks everyday, I drink maybe once a year if there's a social gathering.

He thinks drinking everyday is normal- I think it's abnormal.

He grew up in a drinking culture, all of his family/friends are big drinkers - None of my family or friends are big drinkers, and like me, only drink socially aka very rarely.

Personally, being with my husband has completely made me hate alcohol. Since being with him i have seen close up how damaging it is :(

I hate it too. Nothing good comes from it. Nothing.

Totally agree! I said that exact same thing to my sister in-law, and her response was "But it makes you have fun". This was the only "positive" thing she could come up with..

I can relate to this too! My husband's family has been distant to us for most of the years that we were raising our children, and throughout all three of his DWI's and hospitalizations for his drinking. We have reconnected in the past five years or so, and quite honestly, I am shocked to see the changes in them and their attitudes toward drinking. My husband also grew up in an alcoholic home, and he has not drank (but an occasional drink) in two and a half years, and quit smoking too.

To my surprise, people in his family that never drank in the past now do. What is up with that? They do not like my Facebook posts from Alanon, and think that this drinking is something that they have to do in their new circle of friends since they have retired. It's like people in their 60's and 70's that cannot stand up to peer pressure, and act like teenagers. They have even tried to sabotage our efforts by buying my husband cigarettes and alcohol. I can deal with being in drinking situations, and either not drink or have a drink (one). Why can't these people tolerate being around someone who is not drinking? Are they really this socially immature?

Anyway, I'm so glad that I rarely have to deal with this, because I rarely see these people. And I like it that way! Alcoholic behavior is not fun!

My husbands family and friends have distanced themselves from him since he cut down his drinking (he doesn't get drunk anymore).
    One of his best mates said "you're gonna lose a lot of friends over this", to him i replied, "well they weren't real friends to begin with"! They're the real A-holes in this situation... Good riddance!!!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I watch the show drunk history. It's funny while still being interesting.

That show is pretty damn hilarious.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    zamphir66 wrote: »
    Do you there's nothing wrong with how our society looks at alcohol? A little bit wrong? Or a lot wrong?

I don't really know how our society looks at alcohol. Who or what constitutes "our society"? I know a variety of people and their views on alcohol vary greatly.

I don't think advertising or the top 10% of alcohol consumers would accurately reflect our society as a whole.

But I'd have to say I do not think there is anything wrong with it on a societal level. If I saw it as a problem I suppose I wouldn't be so confused by the question. ;)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I pretty much agree with Needs2. Not sure what "our society" is -- we are a multi-cultural site, after all, and even within the US there's no clear cultural way that alcohol is viewed, it varies.

I think the way my own family viewed/used alcohol was pretty messed up, but that's certainly not the case with the way that others experience it. I don't drink now (haven't for several years), and I don't find that a problem or that others are bothered by it/care. Was just away for a long weekend with lots of people and some drinking (not me), which would have probably been stressful for me at one time, as I would have felt that drinking was expected, but it wasn't, and plenty of people did not drink and those who did didn't drink to excess.

I am not unaware of the harm alcohol causes, but that's due to its legality (and therefore prevalence vs. some other drugs, not at all suggesting it shouldn't be legal) and, of course, is related to a limited number of users, percentage-wise. I do think it would be harmful for me to drink. For most people, it isn't, or isn't any more than me having some ice cream or cheese at night (which I use the calories I might otherwise use for wine for, often).

So I suppose I think there is something wrong with how some aspects of the society I live in looks at alcohol, but not with others. The things I think were wrong with how I used to look at alcohol aren't shared by all who enjoy drinking it.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    But I'd have to say I do not think there is anything wrong with it on a societal level.

But have you ever slept in the same bed with a person sleeping off three Absolut on the rocks and a bottle of wine? With the windows closed? The room filling stench of partially metabolized alcohol seeping out of their pores...it's like with the smokers - they can't smell it on themselves. And then they want to roll over for an innocent little smooch. It's societally devastating.

"societally devastating" How many people are in that bed?? :o

Even the dog opted out and slept in the other room on those nights. Not kidding.

Still seems like a pretty small population for creating devastation on a societal level.
  • toe1226
    toe1226 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I love this debate. While I think that the market for alcohol should be free and people should participate in it as they please, as someone who lives in a metropolitan area, I find that much of the social behavior/activity is alcohol-centric. The idea of going for drinks is the most basic and go-to plan.

I have lots of friends who I do non-drinking activities with, but I have some friends where I actually feel uncomfortable hanging out with them and saying that I am NOT going to drink, it's like drinking is the default.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    I want to hug this post ^^
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I don't really drink much.

I'll have a cocktail if I'm at a fine restaurant known for its drinks, and for a while I was having a swallow or two of Sambuca after dinner as a digestif, but that's pretty much it. Oh, and the once a year Christmas egg nog.

I don't like drinking 99% of wines, I really dislike drinking beer, and I despise the feeling of being a little 'out of it'. I won't take antihistamines or other OTC drugs that make me feel a bit spacey either, so it's not specific to alcohol. I do love cooking with alcohol, and I have a good selection of liquors at home for that purpose.

If I'm at a party and people are getting past 'a little loosened up', I usually leave. My experience is that is when the fun stops and the stupid and sometimes nasty begins. Some of the people I typically party with feel that alcohol should to be a part of it or there isn't a party (these are people who always have a glass of wine with dinner), and some don't. None have a problem with alcohol.

I have seen the effects of alcohol abuse in my family. If this person had not been abusing alcohol, they would have abused something else. I don't have a problem with how we view alcohol except for the way we handle it with kids. It's made into a special thing, only for adults, and as a result kids often start sneaking the stuff. That way lies dragons.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Yeah, I do think that making it off limits is potentially more likely to lead to people not learning about it as a natural thing to be used in moderation. Kids are more likely to want to try it, and go to excess, and learn that as a pattern. When something is off limits and used in secrecy and people are not taught to normalize and moderate then they are curious and without guidance. So, with all things I would like to see kids asking questions and being honest about their curiosity. And adults not punishing their honest curiosity. To teach a healthy understanding and moderation. Edit: but with that said I was with my family once when I was 15 and they kept giving me alcohol. More than I wanted or could physically handle. But, I just accepted the drinks and tried to keep up. So, I really think we need to teach people to understand and respect their own limits. I just can't tolerate alcohol.