Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Alcohol and Society

Options

Replies

• CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    As with anything else it can be abused. People have to take care of themselves. We have the government far to involved in things in my opinion. Two main differences in alcohol and tobacco in my opinion. One light drinking a few a week vs. a few cigarettes does vastly different damage to the human body. Second a person standing next to me drinking a glass of wine has no impact on me vs. a person standing next to me smoking. That said I think we have regulated smoking enough and again people have to take care of themselves.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I drink every week but not every day, usually 2 drinks, times 2 days, so 4 a week total. Sometimes only one day a week, it depends. My ex was a terrible drunk, not in the sense of overusing, he wasn't ever a daily drinker, but it changed him from laid back stoner dude to evil abusive trailer park dad, he could not handle drink at all. His response to alcohol was to become violent, and for a long time he didn't see it, thought that everyone around him was oppressing him somehow. He no longer drinks, at all.

I think that people have always wanted mind altering substances, and there just aren't a lot of legal ones around. The problem is that safe stuff gets prohibited, and the big industry behind alcohol can push to keep it legal, and also alcoholic drinks are closer to "food" than most drugs are, they are culinary - I can make a delightful pitcher of cocktails that will taste amazing and much better than a non-alcoholic version of the same thing, and beer tastes how it does because of the fermentation, that also causes the alcohol, same with wine, if you like those tastes they kind of just come with the alcohol.

I don't think it's wrong to want to get high or drunk sometimes, but think more and safer substances should be legal for that, and that there should be some sort of safe way to experience it, without risking the safety of other people. Not sure why it is so squashed down like it's evil.

Fiance has a glass (probably 2 shots, but served as one drink) of bourbon on ice every night, and coffee every morning first thing. Works out, sleeps well, it doesn't seem to mess him up at all.

Alcoholic beverages have been around for thousands of years, that's a long record of consumption by humans.
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    suppose we replaced "alcohol" with "heroin" or even "marihuana" in the replies above...

"Although you are misrepresenting what it says about health influences ("it has no discernible favorable influence on health"), the article also agrees with my contention that one must take a sensible approach to reap the health benefits and avoid the douchebaggery of heavy heroin consumption:"

Again, lots of justification. I wonder why.
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Options
    xmichaelyx wrote: »
    betsym3 wrote: »
    we have spent A LOT of money on his alcohol, three DWI's, increased car insurance premiums, damaged vehicles, the cost of three rehabs, fines, etc.

The problem isn't the alcohol; it's that the person you're describing is an a-hole.

I love drinking. I drink daily, sometimes to excess. I love beer and bourbon.

That said, I don't drink and drive, because I'm not an idiot. Addiction doesn't cause people to get DWIs or wreck their cars. Being an a-hole does.

Alcohol by itself is neither harmful nor helpful.
    Alcoholic behavior is not fun!

My gf and I are both very happy, functional, educated, well-paid alcoholics. It's tons of fun!

Cheers! And personally I have to say the most miserable people I know are all teetotalers....
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Personally I have only one justification for drinking alcohol. I like it.

I like the taste and I like the buzz. Anyone that has a problem with that can go suck an egg.

+1
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I drink every day and enjoy it, it relieves stress. The good/bad for you bit I ignore. Studies always show something is good or bad depending on who "buys" it. Coffee, eggs, sugar, wine, beer, bacon and yes cigarettes have been on both sides of the good/bad argument. I leave you with my favorite quote.

"I feel sorry for a man that doesn't drink. When he gets up in the morning that's the best he's going to feel all day"
    Frank Sinatra
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Heartisalonelyhunter Posts: 786 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    we have spent A LOT of money on his alcohol, three DWI's, increased car insurance premiums, damaged vehicles, the cost of three rehabs, fines, etc.

The problem isn't the alcohol; it's that the person you're describing is an a-hole.

That said, I don't drink and drive, because I'm not an idiot. Addiction doesn't cause people to get DWIs or wreck their cars. Being an a-hole does.

My gf and I are both very happy, functional, educated, well-paid alcoholics. It's tons of fun!

Cheers! And personally I have to say the most miserable people I know are all teetotalers....

Maybe they are teetotalers that make a big deal out of it. I actually enjoy that there is alcohol in our social environment because people are relaxing and having fun. I would even enjoy a drink or two if I could. But, it makes me sick for months (I can't drink for medical reasons). My husband just doesn't drink. He just doesn't want to. But, no one knows we don't drink. They don't notice and can't tell either way. I'm the life of the party. Dancing when everyone else is sitting. I dance first and then get others to join. I'm very joyful. Not miserable at all. I think it depends on the person. Some drinkers are joyful, some miserable. Some teetotalers are joyful, some miserable. As long as we all respect each other's choices, we are happy. It's the adult thing to do. For me, I love dancing and sexuality. That's how I have fun.

Note I said the most miserable people ''I' know are all teetotallers so I'm not sure why you had to write this self-congratulatory essay.
    But I love dancing and having sex too. I hate cake and ice cream. But again I'm not sure what that's got to do with a judgey thread about booze.
    I need a drink.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

Maybe they are teetotalers that make a big deal out of it. I actually enjoy that there is alcohol in our social environment because people are relaxing and having fun. I would even enjoy a drink or two if I could. But, it makes me sick for months (I can't drink for medical reasons). My husband just doesn't drink. He just doesn't want to. But, no one knows we don't drink. They don't notice and can't tell either way. I'm the life of the party. Dancing when everyone else is sitting. I dance first and then get others to join. I'm very joyful. Not miserable at all. I think it depends on the person. Some drinkers are joyful, some miserable. Some teetotalers are joyful, some miserable. As long as we all respect each other's choices, we are happy. It's the adult thing to do. For me, I love dancing and sexuality. That's how I have fun.

Yeah, I know a lot of teetotalers that are marvelous fun to be around (my mother, who also loves to dance, being one). And some that are not. Same with drinkers. Some are great fun, some are not. Some are more fun before they drink and some more fun after.
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    People use drugs because they like drugs. Despite the suppressing efforts of governments, religions, and public health officials, this behavior will likely continue for the entire future of humanity.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    lodro wrote: »
    suppose we replaced "alcohol" with "heroin" or even "marihuana" in the replies above...

"Although you are misrepresenting what it says about health influences ("it has no discernible favorable influence on health"), the article also agrees with my contention that one must take a sensible approach to reap the health benefits and avoid the douchebaggery of heavy heroin consumption:"

Again, lots of justification. I wonder why.

The issue is one of risk management. This is why we classify and restrict certain products that have a high inherent risk of abuse, such as heroin (a Schedule 1 pharmaceutical) and alcohol (regulated, but sold OTC) accordingly.

Adding clarity to your point would help the conversation.

• BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

Note I said the most miserable people ''I' know are all teetotallers so I'm not sure why you had to write this self-congratulatory essay.
    But I love dancing and having sex too. I hate cake and ice cream. But again I'm not sure what that's got to do with a judgey thread about booze.
    I need a drink.

Sorry. I didn't intend it as self congratulatory (I specified it was because of a medical issue). Just talking about having fun and how it doesn't matter either way (talking about not judging). I'm glad you love those things too! I thought it related because I was talking about the things that happen at social events which include alcohol, and saying I like that alcohol is there. And things which are fun, relaxing, release inhibition (alcohol being one, but there are others too). But, I could have left that last part out (it probably was over explaining). It's definitely not my intention to start an argument (but tone doesn't come across online). There are plenty of reasons why people can judge me. Plenty of things to be judgy about. I just think it's funner to respect differences and not judge it. I don't think we disagree there.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options

/agree

...and there's a vast difference in people who don't drink and those who don't think anyone should drink.

Unfortunately there are a lot of do-gooders out there projecting their internal flaws onto the rest of the population and effing up personal liberties.