Squat, Bench, Deadlift, Snatch, C&J: Post your best videos

Options

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

You can do Anderson Squats/Pin Squats to build up confidence too.
    oh that's a brilliant idea I definitely hadn't thought of.
    My first guess was more pause squats + more heavy weighted squats + banded 'up' squats to assist a heavy weight out of the hole.

Have you ever tried reverse band squats? I think that anything that helps you become accustomed to overloading will increase your confidence. Because I competed for years in gear, I got accustomed to holding much heavier weights than I could squat/bench/deadlift unequipped but it made me comfortable just holding the weight and moving with it.

I haven't- mostly because time is limited- and setting that up is one of those "I need to do this on the weekend when it's less crowded and I have time to play"
    but it DEFINITELY came up last night with my friend (bright yellow shirt)- and I think it would be IMMENSLY helpful.
    Maybe show a video of you getting in the hole and the hesitation you feel coming out. Hard to say anything with this clip except that you probably have it in you if you can figure out your hesitation and just stand up:)
    that's about it- the rest of the videos will be my standard to depth and stand up.
    it's like all or nothing- I either can hit it or I can't. I KNOW a huge part is psychological- que banded squats to get used to weight like that- and just getting stuck in the hole. It's like I can feel myself getting stuck down there. I rarely grind a squat. It's like I got it- or I don't.
    I think I would squat more often in 80% range being sure to hit depth comfortably and pause squat below depth with a weight I could do 3-5 reps at RPE 8.
    Agreed. might be time to change programing honestly.

@LolBroScience
    LOL - probably one of the few (if not only) good things about my phone not having an accelerometer.

In regards to your issue with heavy weights, I know you've mentioned Sheiko a number of times on the forums, but I don't know which version. I guess it doesn't really matter, but have you looked into maybe something along the lines of one of Paul Carter's routines? Here's one example of a peaking program he has/had: http://www.lift-run-bang.com/2010/10/raw-powerlifting-squatting.html

I'm not necessarily suggesting that particular program, but the idea behind it might be a good idea for you. That idea being work up to one heavy single, then back off to do your main working sets. There's other programs that incorporate that, but that's the first one I thought of.

yeah- Sheiko's what I've done (37,30 and 32 currently- and I'm on 32- so near the end)- and I've seen good results- so for the last 3 years- I've cycled sheiko with 20 rep squat- and gotten VERY good results. except that one time last year when I switched to a push pull for my 1/2 marathon training. LOL. I've gone from 200 to 265 over the last 3 years. So #whychangeifitworks. And this has ALWAYS been my issues- but I think it's time to actually address it in my training.

Eventually it just goes away as I move my weight up- like I used to do this at 225- then 235- then 245- then 255. so I mean- it goes away. But I think if I am going to seriously compete next spring- I need to work on this now.

But it might be time. My friend has been hounding me to change my program. I'm leery because I trust known programs- but he's strong- and he's made progress and it would be different (for me that's the big pull). So I've diddled around working with him after this cycle is done.

sigh- more work. But- I mean- really 275- I am not UNHAPPY- but really. this one thing. come on quads- stop bitching out on me and do some damn work. LOL
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

You can do Anderson Squats/Pin Squats to build up confidence too.
    oh that's a brilliant idea I definitely hadn't thought of.
    My first guess was more pause squats + more heavy weighted squats + banded 'up' squats to assist a heavy weight out of the hole.

Have you ever tried reverse band squats? I think that anything that helps you become accustomed to overloading will increase your confidence. Because I competed for years in gear, I got accustomed to holding much heavier weights than I could squat/bench/deadlift unequipped but it made me comfortable just holding the weight and moving with it.

I haven't- mostly because time is limited- and setting that up is one of those "I need to do this on the weekend when it's less crowded and I have time to play"
    but it DEFINITELY came up last night with my friend (bright yellow shirt)- and I think it would be IMMENSLY helpful.
    Maybe show a video of you getting in the hole and the hesitation you feel coming out. Hard to say anything with this clip except that you probably have it in you if you can figure out your hesitation and just stand up:)
    that's about it- the rest of the videos will be my standard to depth and stand up.
    it's like all or nothing- I either can hit it or I can't. I KNOW a huge part is psychological- que banded squats to get used to weight like that- and just getting stuck in the hole. It's like I can feel myself getting stuck down there. I rarely grind a squat. It's like I got it- or I don't
    I think I would squat more often in 80% range being sure to hit depth comfortably and pause squat below depth with a weight I could do 3-5 reps at RPE 8.
    Agreed. might be time to change programing honestly.

@LolBroScience
    LOL - probably one of the few (if not only) good things about my phone not having an accelerometer.

In regards to your issue with heavy weights, I know you've mentioned Sheiko a number of times on the forums, but I don't know which version. I guess it doesn't really matter, but have you looked into maybe something along the lines of one of Paul Carter's routines? Here's one example of a peaking program he has/had: http://www.lift-run-bang.com/2010/10/raw-powerlifting-squatting.html

I'm not necessarily suggesting that particular program, but the idea behind it might be a good idea for you. That idea being work up to one heavy single, then back off to do your main working sets. There's other programs that incorporate that, but that's the first one I thought of.

yeah- Sheiko's what I've done (37,30 and 32 currently- and I'm on 32- so near the end)- and I've seen good results- so for the last 3 years- I've cycled sheiko with 20 rep squat- and gotten VERY good results. except that one time last year when I switched to a push pull for my 1/2 marathon training. LOL. I've gone from 200 to 265 over the last 3 years. So #whychangeifitworks. And this has ALWAYS been my issues- but I think it's time to actually address it in my training.

Eventually it just goes away as I move my weight up- like I used to do this at 225- then 235- then 245- then 255. so I mean- it goes away. But I think if I am going to seriously compete next spring- I need to work on this now.

But it might be time. My friend has been hounding me to change my program. I'm leery because I trust known programs- but he's strong- and he's made progress and it would be different (for me that's the big pull). So I've diddled around working with him after this cycle is done.

sigh- more work. But- I mean- really 275- I am not UNHAPPY- but really. this one thing. come on quads- stop bitching out on me and do some damn work. LOL

Maybe I misunderstood or wasn't clear. Put on 265 or 275 and go to depth and post the video. Based on what I see you didn't get the chance to get stuck in the hole because you never got into the hole. I know how hard it is to go to depth when its heavy but you have to give yourself that chance. If we see you get stuck maybe a fresh set of eyes sees something you miss.

I want to say "what's the harm in missing a rep" but anything can go wrong when you bail out, but you have to give yourself the opportunity to succeed.

You are strong enough that I think you can stand up from depth. With the effort you put in I see 315 in your legs. Prove me wrong ;)
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    @JoRocka

If I were coaching you I'd first want to see what your squat looks like anywhere in the 85-90% range for singles at depth.

My initial thought is that you just need to spend more time practicing with heavier loads at the proper depth, and the best way to do that is to program heavier loads at proper depth. And since it's probably not a good idea to put 275 on and try to bury it, I would back off slightly to somewhere around 240-245 and START there, training multiple singles, and assess what happens when you clearly break parallel at that load.

This isn't me saying that box squats and paused squats and accommodating resistance are bad things. They are tools that are quite viable, but in my opinion the issue here is just that you need to spend additional time training the squat to proper depth at loads above a given intensity threshold.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    [quote="shor0814;37804479
    Maybe I misunderstood or wasn't clear. Put on 265 or 275 and go to depth and post the video. Based on what I see you didn't get the chance to get stuck in the hole because you never got into the hole. I know how hard it is to go to depth when its heavy but you have to give yourself that chance. If we see you get stuck maybe a fresh set of eyes sees something you miss.

I want to say "what's the harm in missing a rep" but anything can go wrong when you bail out, but you have to give yourself the opportunity to succeed.

You are strong enough that I think you can stand up from depth. With the effort you put in I see 315 in your legs. Prove me wrong ;)[/quote]

Ah werd.
    Well- that was supposed to be to depth. But that's the problem- on heavy loads- I *kitten* out before I Get there. I have a video from about 3-4 months ago of 265 to depth- I'll dig it up.

I haven't failed at a single heavy in a while- my last fails have been high reps at higher weights (200 pounds for 14 reps and 15 = fail) so might be time for it. I'll dig up 265 and post it for you.
    The goal is 4 plates- so I believe in 3 plates. I know I can. Just a matter of getting there!!!
    SideSteel wrote: »
    @JoRocka

If I were coaching you I'd first want to see what your squat looks like anywhere in the 85-90% range for singles at depth.

My initial thought is that you just need to spend more time practicing with heavier loads at the proper depth, and the best way to do that is to program heavier loads at proper depth. And since it's probably not a good idea to put 275 on and try to bury it, I would back off slightly to somewhere around 240-245 and START there, training multiple singles, and assess what happens when you clearly break parallel at that load.

This isn't me saying that box squats and paused squats and accommodating resistance are bad things. They are tools that are quite viable, but in my opinion the issue here is just that you need to spend additional time training the squat to proper depth at loads above a given intensity threshold.

This is extremely helpful- thank you for weighing in.
    I have a feeling (as my friend has said- more weight- more reps) so this was pretty much his exact advice. I'll talk to friend about programming and see what he wants to do and if not I'll look up some other programs as outlined above with heavier weights higher up. I'd say that's the one down side I've seen to Sheiko- I squat a lot- A LOT. but most of it stays below 80%.

Agree with second paragraph as well. All tools- just need to find the one to fix it!! if it's more weight in the hole more frequently- then that's easy and doable!! and I can do that.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    @shor0814
    Here's 240 much more tidy
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    So I've added 5kg to my bench in a single 4 weeks training cycle. With visually room for so much more. Still, 92.5kg/203.5lb for an easy looking single.

• shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    @shor0814
    Here's 240 much more tidy

Not even one iota of hesitation there, down and right back up. Maybe keep the same weight and go a touch deeper and force yourself to come out from a deeper point. Kind of hard to see anything wrong so not much advice other than to get out of your own head, go to depth, let the legs burn and stand up. It is so much easier to fix a physical problem, way harder to break that mental block.

All I can say is that your 240 looks like you could do 10-15 more easily, maybe more. I don't think you need to deload because you haven't really missed a lift, maybe drop it to 250 and make sure you hit depth and don't add anything until you hit depth, then add. No trying anything heavier until you hit depth with confidence and conviction more than once?

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I noticed that your second attempt, you had a little dance when approaching the bar. That second attempt was much better.

Shake yo' *kitten* before approaching the bar - problem solved.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    Lil rep PR today. 320x11 DOH grip, no hook. At the end, it was on the tips of my fingers. Haha. Had more, but I was gassed. 2.5lb plate is in between the 2nd plate. Currently on 531 cycle 2, week 2.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Not bad, but...

Are you doing that on concrete? I can't imagine that's going to end up well for either the concrete or the plates.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    Not bad, but...

Are you doing that on concrete? I can't imagine that's going to end up well for either the concrete or the plates.

Ya. Pool deck lol. There is a thin piece of carpet. Plates are cheap AF. But I will eventually throw a mat down.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Options
    Can I just take a NSFW moment to share with you an barely good- exhausted new pr?
    I failed four lifts before this. 330 twice and 320 once the. Half way up (and I thought I literally was turning my bladder inside out and quit) rested and came back for this.
    Little ugly. A lot not safe for work and totally happy. 320 for me! Only 85 lbs more to go!

I'm just going to love this every place I can
  • ROBOTFOOD
    Options
    @JoRocka Solid AF pull! Congrats!
  • JoRocka
    Options

heh- I was a little spammy if you follow me on ALL the medias HA. But big *kitten* yes day for me- now that I've come down a little- I wish I had held it a little more at the top for a more clean lock. but clearly- #nofuckolasgiven.
    ROBOTFOOD wrote: »

thank you thank you- very pleased.

ONLY 85 MOAR POUNDS TO GO!!!
    lol FOUR PLATES FOUR PLATES FOUR PLATES!
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Options

heh- I was a little spammy if you follow me on ALL the medias HA. But big *kitten* yes day for me- now that I've come down a little- I wish I had held it a little more at the top for a more clean lock. but clearly- #nofuckolasgiven.
    ROBOTFOOD wrote: »

thank you thank you- very pleased.

ONLY 85 MOAR POUNDS TO GO!!!
    lol FOUR PLATES FOUR PLATES FOUR PLATES!

Prs deserve to get spammed all over the place! Especially when you've been working so hard for them.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    @SideSteel that picture is amazeballs
  • JoRocka
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    Also, my friend and client Whitney is a photographer and she captured this one, which I like:
    h7tkcmc1hvel.jpg

Best picture. Ever.