October (2016) Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• DayLi77
    DayLi77 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I'm from the other side...the Milwaukee area. I moved to Texas 20 years ago because I don't like the cold. My last winter up there was when we had a bunch of -20 regular temps / -60 with the windchill. Yuck! I don't mind the snow that much, and I do miss it, but we usually go skiing in Colorado once a year, and I get my snow fix. I just hate the cold and how long winter lasts. Spring in Wisconsin is essentially "Winter Part 2." LOL!

I'm the opposite! I grew up in El Paso, TX (waaay west TX in the desert), and moved up to Chicago for college, and ended up just staying...Our weather is very similar to Milwaukee's. I dislike the crazy changeable fall & spring weather, but have gotten used to it. WINTER, on the other hand...never-ending-piles-of-snow-and-slush-and-ice-everywhere-pain-in-the-*kitten*-cold-to-the-core WINTER. GAAAAH! And the windchill OMFG!!! I don't know if I'll ever get used to it! Every February I ask myself why I am still here...and then summer comes around & I remember why :smiley: And you Minnesotans & Canadians have an even longer & colder winter than we do! I don't know how you deal with it, despite the beautiful winter-wonderland scenery ( @7lenny7 ).

@RespectTheKitty I'd definitely go with waterproof trail shoes, although @7lenny7 's duct tape fix is intriguing. I have a pair of Yaktrax but they seem to fall off my shoes randomly, and they're a pain to take on & off if you're going between concrete & soft surfaces.

@katharmonic What a sweet puppy! I'm so happy for you. I'll bet she becomes a great running buddy.
    @ddmom0811 Glad to hear you made it through the worst of the storm ok. I'm sending good thoughts & vibes to anyone else who's still in the path of the storm.
    @kristinegift great pictures!

• MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Daily Check-In and Non-Running Report:

Woke up this morning with an ache lower down the Achilles tendon than I have had. Of course, it prevented any real running; but the test seemed to hint that if I were able to run long enough, the ache where I had issues in recent days would come back. I could still do my calf raises with 20 lbs., but they were harder on the left side this morning than yesterday morning.

PT appointment today. Asked about the pain moving around. It's okay as long as the pain is centralizing; when the pain is all over the place, that's an indicator that things are out of control. And today, for the first time, I could feel the ultrasound doing something where it hurt. In previous sessions, I couldn't feel what the ultrasound was doing at all.

When I went to do the Bosu ball balance exercise, the PT asked if it was easy. Yes, it is, primarily because I have a Bosu ball at home and I do this exercise regularly. So she made it harder: "Get your phone, and look at Facebook while you do the exercise." Actually, Facebook isn't important; just doing anything on the phone. The idea is that the cognitive distraction makes the muscles work harder.

The other surprise advice was to alternate which hand holds the weight when I do one leg calf raises. Mix it up to vary how the muscles are worked. OK, I can do that.

Other than that, pretty much keep doing what I've been doing and see how things go. Prognosis is that I won't be able to run a 15K in 8 days; maybe if I were 30 years younger I could recover that soon. A 5K in 15 days is iffy. Neither of those opinions was particularly surprising.

Walking felt maybe a little better today than yesterday. Mowed the lawn today, and it wasn't a major pain. I just can't run. Sigh.

On the bright side, today I got an email from Darn Tough confirming that they processed my warranty claim. Since I wasn't not running anyway, a week ago I mailed them 5 pair of Darn Tough socks that had worn thin in the soles to claim replacement under the lifetime warranty. I will likely have my replacement socks by the time I'm able to run.

Darn Tough sock are expensive; 5 years ago I got 4 pair on a 4 for 3 sale at $18 a pair. They run about $20 a pair now, and 4 for 3 sales don't exist. So getting 5 pair replaced for $7.15 in postage looks like a great deal.
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Snow? Yikes. I may have to do my longest run of marathon training in snow. 20 miles scheduled for Christmas Eve and I will be in Wisconsin. It's been probably a decade since I ran in snow.

@RunsOnEspresso Are you from WI? I'm going up there in November for Thanksgiving. When we last went 2 years ago, we got about 5" of accumulation, and I got to take my kid to my favorite sledding hill growing up. LOL! I wasn't a runner back then though. 5" of snow down here in Texas would shut everything down!! Ha ha! Anyway, I may have to run in it as well...we'll see!

I'm from LaCrosse. You? I did a turkey trot in LaCrosse as my first ever race several years ago. It was freaking cold! The last two July's I happen to be in town for the 4th and did a race then too.

I moved to Arizona 10.5 years ago because I don't like cold snow and ice after about day 1.

I'm from the other side...the Milwaukee area. I moved to Texas 20 years ago because I don't like the cold. My last winter up there was when we had a bunch of -20 regular temps / -60 with the windchill. Yuck! I don't mind the snow that much, and I do miss it, but we usually go skiing in Colorado once a year, and I get my snow fix. I just hate the cold and how long winter lasts. Spring in Wisconsin is essentially "Winter Part 2." LOL!

The Turkey Trot I'm doing is up in Appleton. I have no idea what to even run in for that cold of weather. But, you don't know what kind of weather you'll get in November. It could be 60. Probably not though...I think that just happened once. ;)

Are you doing the Festival Foods turkey trot? I know they do several around the state.

@RunsOnEspresso YES! That's the one! It should be fun. My aunt and a few of my cousins will be running it as well. :smile:

@cljoe737 I've been to El Paso a few times. I love the Pomegranate Margaritas at Carlos & Mickeys! I made my husband stop there so we could have Tex Mex and a margarita on our way to San Diego last summer. LOL! As you know, summers here are terrible. We usually go to the mountains in July or August to escape the heat, but when it's winter and we get a 70 degree day here and there, it makes the brutal summers seem worth it. Also, spring is perfect weather here. I do not miss the cold blustery double digit below zero windchills at all. Now, I'd move to Colorado in a heart beat, but it's sunny there a lot.
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Just picked up race packet today. Free parking and free cookout afterward!

I have been taking it easy this week. Hips and lower back feel tight, may run slow speed mile on the treadmill tonight.

Anyone else riveted by watching the TV coverage about Hurricane Matthew?? It amazes me that people will still stay in their homes after being warned to evacuate.
  • jodilynnsanders5104
    Options
    mmteixeira wrote: »
    October Miles:

Oct 1 - 3 miles - Fleet Feet Personal Best Class - speed work
    Oct 2 - 5.5 miles - easy run
    Oct 3 - 10 miles crosstrain (cycling)
    Oct 4 - 3 miles - Fleet Feet Trail Run Series - demo Altra Lone Peak 3.0
    Oct 5 - 10 miles crosstrain (cycling)
    Oct 6 - 3.5 miles

First 10K coming up on Sunday...

Good luck on your first 10k!
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    Snow? Yikes. I may have to do my longest run of marathon training in snow. 20 miles scheduled for Christmas Eve and I will be in Wisconsin. It's been probably a decade since I ran in snow.

@RunsOnEspresso Are you from WI? I'm going up there in November for Thanksgiving. When we last went 2 years ago, we got about 5" of accumulation, and I got to take my kid to my favorite sledding hill growing up. LOL! I wasn't a runner back then though. 5" of snow down here in Texas would shut everything down!! Ha ha! Anyway, I may have to run in it as well...we'll see!

I'm from LaCrosse. You? I did a turkey trot in LaCrosse as my first ever race several years ago. It was freaking cold! The last two July's I happen to be in town for the 4th and did a race then too.

I moved to Arizona 10.5 years ago because I don't like cold snow and ice after about day 1.

The Turkey Trot I'm doing is up in Appleton. I have no idea what to even run in for that cold of weather. But, you don't know what kind of weather you'll get in November. It could be 60. Probably not though...I think that just happened once. ;)

Are you doing the Festival Foods turkey trot? I know they do several around the state.

@RunsOnEspresso YES! That's the one! It should be fun. My aunt and a few of my cousins will be running it as well. :smile:

@cljoe737 I've been to El Paso a few times. I love the Pomegranate Margaritas at Carlos & Mickeys! I made my husband stop there so we could have Tex Mex and a margarita on our way to San Diego last summer. LOL! As you know, summers here are terrible. We usually go to the mountains in July or August to escape the heat, but when it's winter and we get a 70 degree day here and there, it makes the brutal summers seem worth it. Also, spring is perfect weather here. I do not miss the cold blustery double digit below zero windchills at all. Now, I'd move to Colorado in a heart beat, but it's sunny there a lot.

I did the LaCrosse Festival turkey trot. I worked at Festival for 5 years so I figured I wss home might as well do it!
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    PT appointment today. for the first time, I could feel the ultrasound doing something where it hurt.

When I went to do the Bosu ball balance exercise, the PT asked if it was easy. Yes, it is, primarily because I have a Bosu ball at home and I do this exercise regularly. So she made it harder: "Get your phone, and look at Facebook while you do the exercise." Actually, Facebook isn't important; just doing anything on the phone. The idea is that the cognitive distraction makes the muscles work harder.

The other surprise advice was to alternate which hand holds the weight when I do one leg calf raises. Mix it up to vary how the muscles are worked. OK, I can do that.

Darn Tough sock are expensive; 5 years ago I got 4 pair on a 4 for 3 sale at $18 a pair. They run about $20 a pair now, and 4 for 3 sales don't exist. So getting 5 pair replaced for $7.15 in postage looks like a great deal.

This was interesting @MobyCarp I've never felt the ultrasound doing anything myself. And those sound like great tips - thanks for sharing.

Yay for getting the sock replacements! I bet hardly anyone takes advantage of that. Did you need to show receipts for them? I always think I should keep receipts for "lifetime warranty" items, yet I never do.
  • 1TheQueenB
    1TheQueenB Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Hey all, I know I'm late but I as out of the country from October 1st till yesterday and I came home to Hurricane Matthew! No run this morning and I was thinking of running in the morning but I just realized that tomorrow will be one month until I start officially training for my Half Marathon! I'm excited! But I haven't run in two weeks and don't want to lose my endurance that I worked so hard to build up. So that might be more motivations or me to get my butt up early before work and start working on my running again. Time to get back to some good runs and cross training!
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    4 mile run this morning and 1.5 walking. Temps were falling from 60 to 56 as I was running with a chilly wind. I forgot what running into a headwind is like. Ok, not really :-p I saw non-runners on the little trail in town wearing jackets. I was in shorts/tee. Lol. Average pace was 10:30 and I did 4 hill repeats on a short but steep hill, then my final mile was 9:30 after I recouped from the hills. I'm feeling so out of shape with less running and the runs I am doing being short and flat.

@lporter229 I work significantly less hours than hubby so he's working during some of my running. On weekends he's pretty content in his chair but sometimes he seems to feel threatened by my active lifestyle. He likes golf which is time-consuming so we compromise there. My concern right now is his health is declining and early in our marriage when he was hospitalized a lot I was completely inactive/obese. I'm already struggling with feeling like I won't be able to maintain my running or any exercise if he gets that bad again.
    I don't want him to feel like I'm concerned with running when he's sick. This will be new territory. I don't want to neglect my own health and sanity as a caregiver. But I'm sure I'll have to compromise and put a little less emphasis on running.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    PT appointment today. for the first time, I could feel the ultrasound doing something where it hurt.

This was interesting @MobyCarp I've never felt the ultrasound doing anything myself. And those sound like great tips - thanks for sharing.

Yay for getting the sock replacements! I bet hardly anyone takes advantage of that. Did you need to show receipts for them? I always think I should keep receipts for "lifetime warranty" items, yet I never do.

The receipts were long since lost. I printed out the pdf warranty form from the Darn Tough web site, filled it out, and mailed it back with the old socks. The store where I bought them gave me that procedure, and stressed that the company doesn't care about receipts but really wants the old socks back.
  • Hoveringsock
    Hoveringsock Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I had more miles than I thought I did so far this month. I forgot that last Saturday was October.

Oct 1 - 6
    Oct 2 - 1
    Oct 3 - 0
    Oct 4 - 5
    Oct 5 - 0
    Oct 6 - 5.64
    Oct 7 - 2.5

Total - 20.14/80

Sometimes I have some odd length runs just because that's how long the trail is.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Wow @MobyCarp , I'll have to check out those socks. I've had luck with ultrasound therapy too, esp my shoulder and rear.

I don't like the moving pain being a sign it's out of control. Mine moves and is difficult to express.

Hope you heal up quickly!
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    ddmom0811 wrote: »
    I was texting with a group of cycling friends first thing this morning when the wind was gusting maybe 40 mph. And one of them said "oh my gosh a runner just went by" and everyone was replying "what a nut!" This was while I was thinking "it seems safe to run this morning".

Was he Running or just being a Kite going for a free ride?
    It was probably a scheduled Hill Day so the Runner Just pointed his/her nose into the wind for an awesome workout.
    Trust a runner to be out when everyone else is hunkering down

@Elise4270 Yes the Canadian Lynx has really Long Legs to deal with the Snow and Huge Paws - They help them chase there prey on the snow - act like big snowshoes.
    Re: Snow running.

So I take it from what I've read here that it's advisable to get trail shoes for running in the snow? I've been wondering how I'm going to navigate the streets once the snow and ice start accumulating (I can only run on the treadmill so much before I want to punch something).

@RespectTheKitty I switch between Trail and Normal shoes based on conditions - most is done in my normal everyday running shoes. I reserve the Trail shoes for the really nasty days where the streets/sidewalks have not been cleaned yet. I even have one pair of the Fabled Screwed Shoes ( stoshew71 posted a video link for them ) that act like spikes digging into icy trail/road conditions.

And that's why Treadmills are called Dreadmill's.
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    Thanks @MobyCarp ! I have quite a few of another brand that I am going to look into returning.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options

1---3.17 walk/run ish
    2---2.7 walk
    3---travel day, Dallas PT
    4---4.7 walk
    5---rest
    6---4.04 walk
    7---0.6 walk. Eh, walked alone. Got spooked and cut it short. Probably just deer, but then i heard a shot. So I thought Bigfoot was armed. Hip is weak anyhow.

15.21/50+ walking miles goal

Not Advisable races:
    11/05/16 Jenks Half 5k Jenks OK (registered)
    12/11/16 BMW Dallas Marathon, Half (registered)
    Run the year 2016  898.42/ 2016 (registered)

Advisable races:
    March 19th 2017 RNR Half Dallas, TX
    March 26th 2017 A2A 5k Ardmore, OK
    April 30th 2017 OKC Memorial Marathon, Half
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    acorsaut89 wrote: »
    So I've been SERIOUSLY slacking this summer . . . really my own fault and have no one to blame but myself. So to ease myself back into running I've decided to make October my marathon month in that I will run at least a marathon distance over the month (hopefully more, but since I'm just getting back into it I don't wanna go too crazy although my body is saying run more, run more, run more lol).

So goal: 26.2 miles

October 4 - 1.7 miles
    October 5 - Rest
    October 6 - Rest
    October 7 - 1.75 miles

Distance to goal: 22.75 miles

• kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    @kristinegift do you come from a big Czech community? My other half's family is Czech and they live in West, Texas which is a HUGE Czech Community. My first 5K was in West at Westfest (big Czech festival) the name of the race is the Kolache 5K. Every race should end with all you can eat Kolaches and Pigs in a Blanket.

8qy0c6gdy34b.jpg

4d0i9c0j1478.jpg

@skippygirlsmom I don't personally come from a Czech community, but the National Czech and Slovak Museum is in Cedar Rapids, so we've got some strong Czech roots here. The whole Czech area was flooded in our historic flood in 2008 and since then the whole area has been totally rebuilt and revitalized and it's the hip, cool place in town to be on the weekend. We have a Kolache festival in the spring/early summer and it's a big deal -- carnival rides, games, and all the Kolaches you can buy. :)

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »

:smiley: Love the "Runner's High"!