So this happened..

Options

Replies

• geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Velveeta sure didn't taste as good as I remembered it...
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Another thought about fake cheese: I never had real mac & cheese and rarely had the boxed stuff as a kid. I remember the first time I made it from scratch I thought I had screwed up because it was grainy. Velveeta doesn't do that. I'm not a fan, but that's why people like it.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I don't remember the last time I had cheese slices, well, outside Maccas anyway and even then that's rare. If I make burgers at home they do slices of blue cheese now for burgers, so I get those because I'm such a food snob.*

*Actually just making up for lost time, took my palate 32 years to come to terms with how awesome mouldy cheese is.

I never actually put cheese on a burger, as I like burgers as well without it, so I'd rather save the calories for some cheese on its own, for dessert. That way I also don't have to worry about how the flavors will meld.

I tend to use swiss for grilled cheese (not that I've had one in ages). Should probably branch out, but I want it to taste like it did when I was a kid.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    linlinjay wrote: »
    I JUST ATE LIKE 15 FERRERO ROCHES CHOCOLATES! Ik that one day of really bad eating wont affect ur whole weightloss journey just like one day of healthy eating wont make you lose weight but seriously will i get diabetes or something, this is literally more addictive than cocaine. Sorry if this post is stupid but i can't make myself be in control around food!

Something tells me you haven't tried cocaine then.

Your fine, relax....eating some chocolate isn't going to instantly give you diabetes. Work on your self control and general confidence and remind yourself of your goals and why you want them. If ferro Roche chocolates are more important than those goals then dig in...if they are less important put them aside. Self control is a skill learned through practice and repetition.

@Aaron_K123 I agree on the coke comment. The rest of your post is very enlightening and quite helpful. It's way more than that for me but can't think of any better words at the moment. Thank you for posting, amazing how one person can begin a thread and so many others can benefit from it by others comments! :smiley:Insightful, that's what we'll go with on your response. Your words helped me put things in perspective once again.

OP
    - you got some good responses, the ones that suggest you log and move on and perhaps enjoy a few as a treat ..that in a nutshell. So no freaking out, just breathe.... maybe go for a walk, drink plenty of water to get rid of some of the sugar so you're not up all night. :wink:
  • miteyme
    miteyme Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    From my past experience, keep the damn chocolates out of the house. I dont care for that silly advice about having one every now and again. Stale chocolate is grey and yuck.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    It's especially puzzling because as I understand it it's just as expensive as real cheese. That has me stumped. The only point of fake cheese is that it's cheap, surely?

Honestly? I think we're paying for the brand name. It's been around forever and they keep charging us for that fact. Yes cheese food/product should definitely NOT be more expensive than cheese, one would think. But.... it's Velveeta :laugh: and apparently there's a shortage of Velveeta currently?

Here's a recipe for homemade Velveeta using only 4 ingredients: powdered milk, gelatin, shredded cheddar cheese & water.
    http://www.spendwithpennies.com/copycat-recipe-homemade-velveeta-cheese/
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

This is just so good. It shouldn't be, but it is. Though there was the time when I made a batch, turned my back for a moment and turned back round to find the cat on the worktop with his head in the dish. He was up to his ears in it.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    To be fair, it takes 1 minute to stir Kraft Mac and Cheese. And my kids will take that over homemade. Sigh.

I really like Amy's mac and cheese though.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I'm jumping in without reading this whole thing. Sorry. There's this recipe for mac and cheese where you cook the pasta in a measured amount of milk and then when it's done, stir in grated cheese. The starch in the pasta thickens the milk and takes the place of roux.

I keep wanting to try it. The kids keep acting like I want to poison them.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    In the US section of the supermarket the other day they had jars of queso dip and I nearly bought it because curious.

Tostitos brand?? You should have!!
  • saracolleenstar
    saracolleenstar Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Well, if you had eaten 14, you would have been fine, but you had to cross the line. Diabetes for you!

Seriously, I love those gooey balls of hazelnut heaven. I also only buy them in packs of three because I still have difficulties moderating certain things. I have worked with many people who have actual addictions, so no, not the same as cocaine.

Ferrero-Rocher-Nutella-Cupcakes.jpg

Just sayin'

That is one evil pic! Haha!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Well, if you had eaten 14, you would have been fine, but you had to cross the line. Diabetes for you!
    @nutmegoreo I knew I liked you & this is why, your sense of humor!! :laugh:

It gets me into trouble sometimes :laugh:
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    I think I'm falling in love with this thread. Chocolate and cheese are two of life's greatest pleasures.

:heart:
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Sara1791 wrote: »
    Another thought about fake cheese: I never had real mac & cheese and rarely had the boxed stuff as a kid. I remember the first time I made it from scratch I thought I had screwed up because it was grainy. Velveeta doesn't do that. I'm not a fan, but that's why people like it.

It shouldn't be grainy. It should come out smooth and either creamy or gooey depending how much cheese you add. The flour in the bechamel stabilises the cheese and stops it splitting (same way the starch in Velveeta does, in fact).

I wish I could tell you where you went wrong but I've never had that particular problem myself - I've had grainy macaroni cheese in canteens but I have no idea what causes it. Did you bake it for a long time? If might be that the milk curdled (which would make sense in a canteen, where they keep it warm for hours) - but you'd have to bake it for ages for that to happen, probably over an hour. Bechamel is pretty stable.

ETA both Velveeta and boxed macaroni probably do taste better to kids, as their tastebuds are so much more sensitive. If I had a pound for every childhood taste sensation that's disappointed me as an adult, I could afford a lot of fancy cheese.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Uncooked roux probably
  • akern1987
    akern1987 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    No worries on this. What eating fifteen chocolates (and fierre roche are delicious, so no judgments) tells me is that you were feeling super deprived and gave in hard to a craving. You will not wake up with diabetes, and it will not derail the work you've already done.
    What you should do is readjust what you're consuming on a daily basis (add a little sweetness into the mix) so these cravings don't overtake you like that, and maybe next time you can just enjoy one or two delightful little hazelnut candies, instead of fifteen. :)
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Sara1791 wrote: »

It shouldn't be grainy. It should come out smooth and either creamy or gooey depending how much cheese you add. The flour in the bechamel stabilises the cheese and stops it splitting (same way the starch in Velveeta does, in fact).

I wish I could tell you where you went wrong but I've never had that particular problem myself - I've had grainy macaroni cheese in canteens but I have no idea what causes it. Did you bake it for a long time? If might be that the milk curdled (which would make sense in a canteen, where they keep it warm for hours) - but you'd have to bake it for ages for that to happen, probably over an hour. Bechamel is pretty stable.

ETA both Velveeta and boxed macaroni probably do taste better to kids, as their tastebuds are so much more sensitive. If I had a pound for every childhood taste sensation that's disappointed me as an adult, I could afford a lot of fancy cheese.

Maybe grainy is the wrong word. I have no problem with seizing or separating, but it is a different texture from Velveeta. Words suck. I wish I could beam side by side dishes to you. Do you have Cheez Whiz where you are? Velveeta is like that texture. Slippery. Rubbery maybe?

Amusing aside: I call it white sauce when I try to get my friends to replace their cream of something soups because French words scare them. :wink:

eta: I did originally think undercooked roux, but no, it's just a difference in the two dishes. This was close to twenty years ago now but I still remember being so surprised.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options

Seriously, I love those gooey balls of hazelnut heaven. I also only buy them in packs of three because I still have difficulties moderating certain things. I have worked with many people who have actual addictions, so no, not the same as cocaine.

Ferrero-Rocher-Nutella-Cupcakes.jpg

Just sayin'

You don't happen to have a recipe for those do you? Asking for a friend...

FR truffles (or whatever your favorite is), chocolate cake mix (or do it from scratch if you have time and that's how you roll), milk chocolate frosting (homemade chocolate buttercream, which is how I roll), more truffles for garnish.
    Add to lined cupcake pan: batter, truffle, more batter. Bake. Ice. Garnish.
    You're welcome
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    We do have Kraft cheese slices here - as I understand it, it's just the same thing in a block? I can't really imagine melting a block of that stuff onto pasta. It doesn't taste of anything and the texture is weird.

I'm a strong cheese person, I eat what gets called "vintage" cheddar here (the step above "mature"). I even dislike mild cheddar, which has a lot more flavour than processed cheese slices.

Do you have multiple levels of cheddar in the States? We have mild, medium, mature and vintage. I've only recently come to realise how much British people care about cheese - our village Co-op is quite small but has a whole cheese chiller with about 50 different kinds (of which half are different brands and variations of cheddar). It's a bit obsessional really. I don't think it used to be like that.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I think Velveeta is like Kraft, basically burger cheese right?

And I have made cheese sauce that is sort of grainy but I think that comes from using a quality vintage cheddar. I think if I used what we thought was cheddar as kids (bright orange stuff) the texture is different.

The US has come a long way on the cheese front I think but they're not at our levels yet, much as we're probably not at French levels. That said, I used to get the bus home from college and stop was right outside IJ Mellis in Edinburgh (one of the first cheesemongers in the UK I think!). It's quite the aroma wafting from in there!