40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Replies

• BettyM1017
    BettyM1017 Posts: 616 Member
    gam3rguy wrote: »

goofing off! sleeping in, video games, Pokémon hunting with the pup. not going back 'til December 1!!!

Enjoy! I think I'll do a little "hunting" myself tomorrow. Downtown St. Pete is loaded with stops.
  • 3furballs
    3furballs Posts: 476 Member
    @cqbkaju , the form of self defence is based on many styles and stems from South Korean special forces, it's called Baang Oah Won.
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    edited October 2016
    3furballs wrote: »
    @cqbkaju , the form of self defence is based on many styles and stems from South Korean special forces, it's called Baang Oah Won.
    Interesting. I have never heard of "Baang Oah" in reference to Korea.
    I wrote a research paper on the history of Korean martial arts, for what it is worth.
    "Baang Oah" is a Thai phrase, if I recall correctly.
    I am guessing this is a recent (say 10 or 20 years) "hybrid style" that has been made up by someone.
    I don't see any reference to it and South Korean Special Forces, but I do not have any team members currently deployed there to confirm if it is in use.

EDIT: Yeah, I'm right.. you said "the form of self defence is based on many styles". I overlooked that.
    Of course, that raises other questions, like why a "Special Forces" unit is bothering with "self defence" techniques instead of training in a Combatives program.
    There is a difference between martial arts and real self defense and a difference between self defense and combatives.
    In fact I just taught a workshop on these concepts this weekend.

Doesn't matter. Looks like I side-tracked the discussion since this is my area of expertise.

r8zyfcveivpn.jpg
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    3furballs, I see you are still kicking butt (awesome). I have been taking the hot yoga boot camp for 2 months now and the instructor is motivational as well and passionate which makes me try harder. I love the heat, but when the class is over walking out into the cold (YIKES). Tonight is hot Barre which is also challenging. I have a newfound respect for barre and pilates. Have a wonderful day.
  • terryfloresg
    terryfloresg Posts: 23 Member
    Hi everyone!! I'm new to this group. I joined MFP about 2 years ago and it definitely helped me lose lots of weight. Well, I'm back here with the same problem. So, I have decided to change my lifestyle for good. I have decided to go Raw Vegan and I am looking for people doing the same. I haven't decided if I'm going 100% Raw or 80-10% 10% being cooked vegetables/fruits. Please let me know if you are a Raw Vegan so that I can learn from you. Thanks!
  • agbmom556
    agbmom556 Posts: 694 Member
    Happy Monday!
    Finished Body Pump class today.
    So glad work has slowed down so I can get back to my lunch workouts. :)
  • 3furballs
    3furballs Posts: 476 Member
    The style is actually mostly based on jujitsu and aikido, not taikeondo, throws and joint manipulation, using the attackers force against them, soft style, not hard like karate. Our founder trained with South Korean special forces and came home and started this program.

No, it would not be a "recognized" form, like karate, however it does exactly what I want, which is protect myself and family in possible real life situations, not tournament, not competition; but muggers and the possible rapist or attacker that holds me at knife point or tries to drag me into an ally. I don't need to win points, just break bones.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Day 2555 of being over 40:

Keep trying to get younger but not working.
    Will try new map to fountain of youth.
    Crew spirits seem lifted since bringing in alcohol. Definitely reduce age gap issues for dating.
    Knees and hips hurt (repeat of every day).
    Keep reminding myself not to forget things.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,922 Member
    Happy Halloween, everyone!
  • gam3rguy
    gam3rguy Posts: 3,773 Member
    BettyM1017 wrote: »
    gam3rguy wrote: »

goofing off! sleeping in, video games, Pokémon hunting with the pup. not going back 'til December 1!!!

Enjoy! I think I'll do a little "hunting" myself tomorrow. Downtown St. Pete is loaded with stops.

:p

1qdtzt5xyuxm.png

• MJFSH
    MJFSH Posts: 7,252 Member
    Hello my friends, Happy Halloween!!!

Strength: Shortcut to Size: Chest, Triceps, Calves

Cardio: None

Started Jim Stephanie's 12 weeks program today. Let's see how my body responds to this program. Can't wait to see!
  • b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 1,977 Member
    edited November 2016
    Had a blarghy day (woke up with a sore throat), but still managed to get in around an hour of light exercise. Tried some Radio Taiso stretching...kind of liked it, and might have to do it more often in the mornings.
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Getting kicked in the head doesn't sound like a good time. And kicking someone else in the head may have been interesting some years ago but at this age - nope.

Now hunting? Sure. Not electronic fake things. Deer season is here!
  • saracolleenstar
    saracolleenstar Posts: 70 Member
    Djproulx wrote: »
    Do I have to wait a full YEAR to join? I know this is where the cool kids are! I'm turning 39 in January, and I have restarted my journey to be fit. This time it's personal. This time I'm getting fit for my forties!

@saracolleenstar - I believe there is a "conditional acceptance" program available for those applicants who are within 2 years of the age group minimum, as long as all "Cool Kid" requirements are upheld during the probationary period. It should also be noted that your coolness factor will increase upon reaching the age group minimum. ;)

Welcome!

This made me laugh! :smiley::smile: :smiley:

Thank you for the conditional acceptance! ;)
  • BettyM1017
    BettyM1017 Posts: 616 Member
    @gam3rguy Awesome picture! The pup looks happy to be out and about!
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    gam3rguy, love the photo. Morning everyone. Boot camp done. I am truly sore but love the adrenaline from a morning workout.
  • todduga
    todduga Posts: 18 Member
    5.11 miles ran this morning. Calves were still sore from Saturday's 10+ mile run but surprisingly didn't bother me this morning during the run.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Another Tuesday double session. Weight work with trainer in am. Track work tonight is a 3 mile lactate threshold test. Oh joy. ;)