What trendy foods do you refuse to purchase?

Replies

• lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    I can tell you one I wish I hadn't tried--Quest bars! I bought an Oreo one and a cookie dough one, and they both ended up in the trash after a bite or two. Seriously, sucralose and stevia? I missed both of those in my ingredient scan. I'm not doing low carb, but wanted to increase my protein to tame the PMS appetite beast. Quest bars are not the way to go for me!!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    I can tell you one I wish I hadn't tried--Quest bars! I bought an Oreo one and a cookie dough one, and they both ended up in the trash after a bite or two. Seriously, sucralose and stevia? I missed both of those in my ingredient scan. I'm not doing low carb, but wanted to increase my protein to tame the PMS appetite beast. Quest bars are not the way to go for me!!

Oh, I totally agree. I tried one after receiving a coupon to get one free (don't remember what flavor it was) but it was so horrible I never wanted to try another.
  • Gimsteinn
    Gimsteinn Posts: 7,678 Member
    Avocado and sushi.. Can't stand the stuff..
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    girlgroves wrote: »
    zoodles? squashetti? What?!

I've never really understood the zoodles thing. I suppose it's promoted by the people selling spiralizers. Zucchini and spaghetti squash taste so similar and spaghetti squash is already noodle shaped. Why not just eat the spaghetti squash?

I think a lot of people use raw zucchini so it saves cooking time, whereas spaghetti squash takes a while to cook? I dunno, though, as spiralizing is more time-intensive than I'm interested in -- I just chop zucchini up if I want to use it instead of spaghetti squash (I am more likely to have it on hand, but also more likely to just use it in a sauce).

Even a large spaghetti squash only takes about 10 min in the microwave. I doubt anyone is going to spiralize a zucchini in much less time, especially if you factor in time spent washing the spiralizer.

I've never cooked one in the microwave -- does it taste the same? Do you chop it up first? (Chopping winter squash was always why I used to tend not to cook them, seemed a pain. Now I'm over that (largely due to having much better knives), but I get that others might not be. Even so, chopping, scrapping out the seeds, and roasting seems more time intensive than just spiralizing some summer squash. But then I am the laziest person in the world and find the benefit of summer squash is that it takes no time to chop and sautee, so won't be spiralizing it, just speculating.) ;-)

I personally can taste a difference between roasted and nuked. I prefer it roasted.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Nutritional yeast. I bought once but it weirdest me out I was eating dead yeast and did not taste very good. I prefer vegan parm or regular parm please
  • VeganRaptor
    VeganRaptor Posts: 164 Member
    I pretty much just buy stuff I am interested in and don't pay attention to food trends, but I guess I don't buy the majority of baked trendy items like cronuts and weird bagels because they usually aren't vegan.
    Although there is a vegan bakery near me that does that sort of thing so maybe I will end up becoming trendy after all soon!
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    edited November 2016
    overnight oats (not buy, but make)
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Chia pudding is pretty decent. I made two different flavors last week and will probably make one for Thursday
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    LaCroix
  • Mary_Anastasia
    Mary_Anastasia Posts: 267 Member
    Fish. I can't eat fish. Gross.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    girlgroves wrote: »
    zoodles? squashetti? What?!

I've never really understood the zoodles thing. I suppose it's promoted by the people selling spiralizers. Zucchini and spaghetti squash taste so similar and spaghetti squash is already noodle shaped. Why not just eat the spaghetti squash?

I think a lot of people use raw zucchini so it saves cooking time, whereas spaghetti squash takes a while to cook? I dunno, though, as spiralizing is more time-intensive than I'm interested in -- I just chop zucchini up if I want to use it instead of spaghetti squash (I am more likely to have it on hand, but also more likely to just use it in a sauce).

Even a large spaghetti squash only takes about 10 min in the microwave. I doubt anyone is going to spiralize a zucchini in much less time, especially if you factor in time spent washing the spiralizer.

I've never cooked one in the microwave -- does it taste the same? Do you chop it up first? (Chopping winter squash was always why I used to tend not to cook them, seemed a pain. Now I'm over that (largely due to having much better knives), but I get that others might not be. Even so, chopping, scrapping out the seeds, and roasting seems more time intensive than just spiralizing some summer squash. But then I am the laziest person in the world and find the benefit of summer squash is that it takes no time to chop and sautee, so won't be spiralizing it, just speculating.) ;-)

I personally can taste a difference between roasted and nuked. I prefer it roasted.

Oh yeah, roasting gives a different taste for sure. Microwaves taste like steamed.
  • Need2Exerc1se

Fish is trendy??
  • Bbeliever215
    Bbeliever215 Posts: 234 Member
    pazzynj wrote: »
    Fit Tea! I read that it has really bad side effects. I didn't purchase this because of what I read even thou celebrities swear by it! So one of my friends purchased it because she is getting married next weekend & wanted to detox to lose 5 lbs. Best decision I made was not going for the celebrity trend! My friend drank this & immediately become sick! Body aches, stomach cramps, headaches, weakness & other explosive effects I deem TMI;)

The funny part about this is that the celebrities that endorse it clearly got their shape through surgery...lol Also ppl can save their money and just buy smooth move, although that's not a "detox" that's neither comfortable or effect...smdh lol
  • Chazsteers
    Chazsteers Posts: 18 Member
    Coconut water ... tried it once nnver aagan
  • VeganRaptor
    VeganRaptor Posts: 164 Member
    pazzynj wrote: »
    Fit Tea! I read that it has really bad side effects. I didn't purchase this because of what I read even thou celebrities swear by it! So one of my friends purchased it because she is getting married next weekend & wanted to detox to lose 5 lbs. Best decision I made was not going for the celebrity trend! My friend drank this & immediately become sick! Body aches, stomach cramps, headaches, weakness & other explosive effects I deem TMI;)

The funny part about this is that the celebrities that endorse it clearly got their shape through surgery...lol Also ppl can save their money and just buy smooth move, although that's not a "detox" that's neither comfortable or effect...smdh lol

Oh yes, weight loss teas are one thing I really will never buy. They're just laxatives! :neutral:
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member

Fish is trendy??

yeah, it kind of is around my parts. not like a super-trend super-food in its own right, but it's under the shiny omega oil umbrella so it gets some of that. there's definitely a bit of that smug trendoid smirk going on about it. 'look, i'm eating omega 3's, gonna be doing particle physics while you drool in your lap in the nursing home.' i share the earlier poster's revulsion. can't deal with the fish.

and on that note: flax seeds. i've tried them and tried adding them into my shakes but the moment something touches them and outside stuff gets to the oil, they get all rank and bitter-tasting.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Fish isn't trendy at all here, just a food people eat, like pork or chicken. But then I lived in AK for a while growing up, so fish was really commonplace.