November 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    11/1 - 5.1 miles. Gorgeous 62° morning to run!
    11/2 - Slept in. Stayed up too late cheering the Cubs victory!

Seems the idea of a Tri is appealing to a lot of us. I may get started in January with the "Icebreaker" at my Y. It's indoor - pool, stationary bike, treadmill - 400 yards, 10 miles, 2 miles. I can definitely pull that off as a jumpstart. Then, I'll find one later in the year to do a sprint tri. Guess I better pencil in some swimming and cycling.
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom - Good luck to Skip!!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @dkabambe and @Elise4270 Impressive that you plan a tri!
    @juliet3455 Thanks for posting the metric distances :smile:
    The bike and run distance of the Sprint Tri sound doable. It's the swimming that scares me off. Maybe I should try again to learn something other than breast stroke; but getting arms & legs & breathing right at the same time seemed impossible the last time I tried to learn crawl swimming. I'd inevitably forget at least one of those three while I focussed on the others - lots of sinking and breathing water!

Well maybe I'm naive. I think I could do a sprint tri today, no problem.

I can't believe so many here have a problem with swimming. @ddmom0811 ya, gators- pass on any water activities... We have them here, but I don't think they are abundant. Takes just one to ruin a swim though.

I practice with flippers. A snorkel would also be helpful to work on form, so you're not struggling with breathing. Practice practice practice. Y'all could swim. The Iron Nun can do it.

There's always a duathlon?
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom Good luck to Skip!
    @AdrianChr92 If you have any pull, I also could use some help from the "god of fast"

Today was brutal. It's been raining for days and I got soaked within 2-3 minutes. The rest of the session was just trying not to turn around. Thank goodness for podcasts. I got out of my head for a bit, but it's going to be a long winter. I've determined the Saucony Kinvaras are the worst shoes for rain. Now, I just have to remember that. Seems like it is getting harder and harder to raise my heart rate though, which is pretty cool. Starting to be my legs and mind are holding me back instead of my heart and lungs.

1: 3.06 (fast finish) + lower body strength
    2: 3.04 (aerobic) + 30 mins spin bike + upper body strength

6.10/80

exercise.png

Next Race: Jan 15/17: Ice-breaker 8K
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Oooops. At first I was like what the heck is @skippygirlsmom talking about? Everything says November. Then I noticed the dates. LOL It's corrected now.

GOOD LUCK SKIP! KICK @$$ AT SECTIONALS!!!!!!

Date Miles today - Miles for November
    11/1 9 miles - 9 << 5 above VT 4 below VT
    11/1 5 miles - 14 << Daily Double 5 below VT
    11/2 5 miles - 19 << 5 below VT

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    UAH 8K - 3/6 <<< 34:33 3 in AG
    Oak Barrel HM - 4/2 <<<< 1:38:00 3 in AG
    Bridge Street HM - 4/10 <<< 1:36:33 3 in AG
    PEO-AVN Team Day 5K - 5/4 <<< 19:10 (2.9 mi) 1 in AG 5 OA
    Cotton Row Run 10K - 5/30 << 44:57 PR
    Firecracker Chase 10.2 miler 6/25 << 1:20:22 1 in AG & 15 OA
    Huntsville Half Marathon - 11/12
    Rocket City Marathon - 12/10

• 5512bf
    5512bf Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    November Goal - 150 Miles

11/1 - 5.02 - Easy
    11/2 - 4.49 - Easy

Total - 9.51 of 150

Summer running conditions returned this morning, 72 degrees with 90% humidity. Planned on getting 6 today but needed a few extra minutes since I forgot backpacks for the kids this morning and my wife would be mad at me if the kids didn't get to eat lunch.

@MNLittleFinn - Are you using the zone calculations on page 113 of the 80/20 book based on % of LT? If so there is a little bit of a gap between z2/z3 based on his methods. For me that gap is 12 BPM. You are probably not hitting VT and certainly not LT going into the "grey" area a couple BPM. I never really worried too much about a few BPM into the the gap. I'd get into the gap this summer during long runs when i'd get a little dehydrated or on hills but as long as I'd recover on the flats I didn't care too much.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @5512bf yeah, I'm trying to use those training zones so, I guess, I'm actually getting into zone X, not a true z3. Forgot about that. That's the problem with my Forerunner....only 5 zones to program, and, as you know, Fitzgerald uses 7, including X and Y.

I may have to redo my zones along the lines of what he has on his site, so z1 and z2 are combined to make z1 on my Garmin and Garmin z3 becomes MF zY.

Since I haven't had a test done, it's some guesswork. Using the Friel method to figure out LTHR, my zones came out to be:

z1: 131-140
    z2: 140-156
    zX: 157-166
    z3: 167-175
    zY: 176-177
    z4: 178-184
    z5: 184+

I've recorded a max HR of 193 on a really hard run so I'm using that for max HR
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I am trying to decide whether to run or not today. It was on my plan to run M-W-F this week but my ankle was sore again yesterday (feels fine now though) after my run on Monday and the beach walk/run on Sunday. I think it was primarily a result of the slope of the beach that was really terrible from the storm surf we were getting. I am also very stiff from training last night, squat thrusts and RDLs among other things, but I know running would help with that... In the meantime I am avoiding making a decision and avoiding work by reading and responding here instead!

@skippygirlsmom - Tell Skip good luck in sectionals and qualifying for States! We will all be cheering for her here!

@karllundy and @Elise4270 - I would love to do a tri. I am a pretty decent swimmer, growing up swimming competitively and having swam on a Masters team. I have a pretty nice mountain bike but like @RunsOnEspresso it has been hanging in th garage for too long and likely needs new tires. Also I have never learned to work the gears and am super afraid of crashing! I have so many friends who ride and I keep thinking I should at least try...
    @BeeerRunner - Love your description of the swimming part of the tri. Depending on where the swimming is taking place it could work :) Also most tri athletes are weakest on the swim. My daughter did one and that was the only section where she beat everyone - she was a National level swimmer though. Her couch always told them 'swimmers can run but runners can't swim' :)
    @Elise4270 and @BeeerRunner - I say we put the vodka lemonade at each end of the pool so you can get a drink with each lap completed. I bet swimming will seem so easy after just a few laps! :wink:

@lporter229 - So glad you are back all rested and rejuvenated! It is great that your Stella and @katharmonic's are doing so well and becoming such good running buddies!

@7lenny7 - and you replaced that rusty gun with a nice new one right? I saw the treadmill video on FB and laughed out loud! Also my daughter's chocolate lab chews things (mail, recovery sandals, fire wood) when he doesn't get to run too.

@RunRachelleRun - Nike has some nice light weight running jackets. I got mine on the outlet site for 60% off and love it.

@juliet3455 - I love all the fun events you have there! I doubt I could run it but the 7 Peaks and 7 Pubs sounds awesome and I would definitely partake in the Pubs part!

@ddmom0811 and @lporter229 - Hobbes the Vizsla says Thank You! The glasses stayed on just long enough to snap a few pictures. He isn't a huge fan but seems to like the tshirt well enough and treats really helped :smile:

@TattooedDolphinGirl78 - Good luck with your surgery - hope it all goes smoothly! Check back in and let us know how you are doing! We will be here to support you in your recovery!
  • dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Got my first run of November in today - 13.1km (3 laps) of a hill loop. Started out nice (10C/50F) but quickly got cold as sun went down - could have even gone with long sleeve top and was glad I took my gloves. The run itself was very good until the last couple of kilometres. Whilst having two snickers bars for lunch will definitely guilt you into going for a run, it is not exactly great preparation. Those of you that were around for last months conversation will know what I'm talking about :wink: Let's just say it was touch and go and I only just made it home in time. Another km and I wouldn't have done.

Anyway I'm now heading into my first easy week on my schedule - must admit I'm not looking forward to it, as like seeing how much farther I can go each week!

exercise.png

• AnnyisOK
    AnnyisOK Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    exercise.png

I have 8 miles planned for tonight.
  • HeatherMN
    HeatherMN Posts: 3,821 Member
    Options
    Good luck to Skip!

@7lenny7 and @_nikkiwolf_ My father-in-law would love both of those uses for a treadmill, especially the wood moving one. He heats his house with wood and would find an old treadmill in a hot minute if he thought his wife would let him get away with it. He's always coming up with inventions to get things done.

@HonuNui Being as happy as Lily running is a great goal! Use the inspiration around you :-)

@TattooedDolphinGirl78 Best wishes for a successful surgery and a quick recovery!

As for the Tri conversation, it's something I'll likely never do. I won't say never because I previously said that about half marathons, Ragnar, and marathons. I'm not a swimmer, though, so it would be a long time before I'd be willing to try even the shortest tri. Duathlons sound more like my thing - maybe I'll put that on the schedule for the later half of 2017. I have a good hybrid bike, which would be sufficient.

Has anyone done the Triathlons that have kayaking or canoeing instead of the swimming portion? I could probably get into that.

I'm meeting friends for a run tonight, followed by a brew pub, to get my November miles started. I'll report back regarding the run and the beer tomorrow :smiley:
  • Calvin2008Brian
    Calvin2008Brian Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    HeatherMN wrote: »
    Has anyone done the Triathlons that have kayaking or canoeing instead of the swimming portion? I could probably get into that.

@HeatherMN, there is one of these every summer on a campground outside of Rochester. Kayak - mountain bike - trail run. I've looked hard at it, but never committed. I agree the kayak option is preferable to swimming!

I would take a stab at a sprint tri if I had friends doing it too. I am not at all a swimmer, but I don't see any reason I couldn't train up for the 1/4 mile or so swim. On my "someday" list, I guess.

Today I'm substituting gutter cleaning for the strength workout on my schedule. Sometimes life gets in the way.

@HonuNui - Happy Lily is an inspiration to us all!
  • OSUbuckeye906
    OSUbuckeye906 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    11/1: 3 miles
    11/2: rest day

TOTAL: 3/70

Planned rest day for me today but I do need to get in my knee exercises. I think I'll also try out some weight/resistance exercises tonight while watching the World Series. Go Cubbies!
  • crhinshaw29
    crhinshaw29 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    On track so far...

exercise.png
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    I would be very interested in a sprint tri - but my problem is the biking! I am fine with swimming, although I haven't done open water so would definitely need to train for that. But I don't have a bike and am nervous about biking. Wiping out on a bike is a huge fear of mine, plus - my butt hurts just thinking about it.
  • TattooedDolphinGirl78
    TattooedDolphinGirl78 Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the support re: my surgery next week. I will definitely stop in after to keep you posted on my recovery! :smiley:
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    HeatherMN wrote: »
    Good luck to Skip!

I

There is one here in southwest Ohio on the Little Miami National Scenic River. 6 miles kayak (solo) or canoe (partner), 6 mile run (includes combo of paved and dirt trail) and an 18 mile bike ride (road). I have done it twice, once with a friend and once with my husband. It was tons of fun.

Like most, my hesitation for getting into triathlons is swimming. This spring, I am hoping to hook up with a local tri group. They are pretty serious (sent several people to Kona this year), but also have plenty of members in it for casual recreation (which would definitely be me). In addition to weekly group rides and runs, they also offer open swim sessions at local area YMCAs and health clubs with pools, as well as bike maintenance classes and lessons on handling the transitions.
  • AnnyisOK
    AnnyisOK Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    [quote="HeatherMN;38070135"Has anyone done the Triathlons that have kayaking or canoeing instead of the swimming portion? I could probably get into that. [/quote]

What??? That's a thing? I'd that. I'm not a swimmer. I've taken swimming lessons and sti can't swim.
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    @shanaber I think vodka lemonades at the end of each lap would be the right kind of motivation to get me swimming!! LOL!

@HeatherMN I'd be totally into kayaking instead of swimming!! That sounds much better!