November 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    November Goal: have as much fun running as Lily the whippet does...

11/1 6.50
    11/2 got distracted by some silly ball game...
    11/3 3.20

Total: 9.70
    @skippygirlsmom A virtual hug for Skip....

Upcoming races:
    Las Vegas Rock n Roll 10k 11/13/16

Ticker is my goal for 2016 and total to date:

exercise.png
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    1 November 5.57km run
    2 November 2.4km swim
    3 November 6km run
    4 November 8km run

Running goal:  50km
    Swimming goal:  25km

exercise.png

• LeelooX2014
    LeelooX2014 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    November running

11/01: day off
    11/02: day off
    11/03: 3.5

Total: 3.5
  • dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Just couldn't get going today, so my planned 11k easy run got curtailed at 6k. Think it was the combination of a few consecutive nights of very poor sleep combined with not stretching after my spinning session last night. Luckily today is start of a cutback week for me, so I've more than enough time to make up the runs even though I won't be able to get out over the weekend.

exercise.png
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom - Sorry Skip didn't qualify, but she had a great season. It's so hard on us parents when our kiddos are upset. :heartbreak:

Got 8 hours sleep last night! I highly recommend it! My average is usually 6 but it was only 5 and 4 the last few nights so I was exhausted.

Ran 4.5 this morning on a beautiful morning. Could have been a little bit cooler, but I'm not complaining.

11/1 - 4.3 miles
    11/2 - strength training
    11/3 - rest day
    11/4 - 4.5 miles + strength training

Upcoming races
    11/30/16 - I/ITSEC 5K
    2/5/17 - Daytona Beach HM
    2/26/17 - Disney Princess HM Orlando

exercise.png

• OSUbuckeye906
    OSUbuckeye906 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    11/1: 3 miles
    11/2: rest
    11/3: 4 miles
    11/4: 3 miles

TOTAL: 10/70

I was able to get myself up for a run this morning but only managed 3 slow miles (10:27 pace), though I will also say the route is pretty hilly since it was in my neighborhood and not on the trail.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @garygse awesome first run of the month!
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    11/1 - 5.1 miles. Gorgeous 62° morning to run!
    11/2 - Slept in. Stayed up too late cheering the Cubs victory!
    11/3 - 5.32 miles. Trek class / treadmill
    11/4 - 4.7 miles.

exercise.png

@Elise4270 - Eeeewwww!
    @katharmonic - Yep. I stepped on something squishy today...kind of slid. Not sure what it was. Running in the dark is hazardous. Yuck.
    @skippygirlsmom - Way to go Skip! You (and she) should be so proud, she worked really hard and had a fantastic season!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @katharmonic -Happy birthday! I must say, based on your profile pic, I would never had guessed you to be 48! Looks like running does more than just keep your heart in good shape! And eeww on the roadkill. I hope it's gone soon.

@skippygirlsmom - Congrats to Skip on a fine season of running. Sorry she didn't make states, but she has a huge, bright future ahead of her, so she (and you!) have a lot to be proud about!
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn Thanks! I took it at a nice gentle pace where I felt like I could run on and on, but unfortunately it was suddenly time for work...I may have to start getting up even earlier. :)
  • HeatherMN
    HeatherMN Posts: 3,821 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    @RunsOnEspresso Menards is my father-in-law's favorite store, too. The same guy who would totally use a treadmill to move wood. He's an interesting guy. Because he's in the construction trade, I'm fairly certain he goes to Menard's 6 days per week; sometimes more than once in a day. Obsessive.

@Azercord Yay for getting back to running!

@Elise4270 Yes, it was a horrible way to try to teach kids to swim. I CAN swim, but that's more a credit to gym class in school than to those lessons. My swimming lacks proper technique, but I stay afloat and even swim laps sometimes.

@MNLittleFinn I LOVE my compression socks. I have four pairs PROCompression socks. (They often have 40% off deals and "grab bags" of 3 pairs for $25). I have only run in them a few times, but I frequently wear them to bed if my calves are feeling fatigued. I swear they saved me at Ragnar Trail when I rolled my ankle 3 miles into my first run of the weekend. I was able to get my ankle wrapped by the medic, then put compression socks over it. It kept the swelling down and I was able to complete the remaining 13.5 miles over the weekend without pain. I then wore compression socks pretty much 24/7 for the first two weeks after the injury, which helped keep the swelling minimal. Since then, I've started wearing the socks on long runs and I think it helps against fatigue. I'm a solid believer.

@skippygirlsmom Hugs to Skip and congrats on a great season!

@katharmonic Happy Birthday!! Also, I'd like to suggest we add good coffee to the running gear and beer as essentials. The coffee is needed because it's frowned upon to sip beer all day at work ;-)

No exercise for me last night; our Girls on the Run lesson was super busy, so I was busy organizing and didn't have a chance to run with the girls (my other coaches did that). We just have next week for practice, our year-end 5k on Saturday, then our awards ceremony. Then, I can get back to a better running routine for myself.

Now, I'm heading over to Amazon to check out this Anatomy for Runners book you've all mentioned. Good timing, though, since I'm ordering Marathon: You Can Do It! by Jeff Galloway and a running journal today.

exercise.png
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    HeatherMN wrote: »
    Also, I'd like to suggest we add good coffee to the running gear and beer as essentials. The coffee is needed because it's frowned upon to sip beer all day at work ;-)

Yes! I am hoping to take a long-awaited trip to backpack several days in a national park next year (a park that I've wanted to backpack for years and I will finally make it happen next year if all goes well). Recently, I was talking with a fellow back-packer and was thinking out loud about food. Now that I'm eating low carb, I was thinking I could save some pack weight by skipping the stove and just bringing cured meats, tuna packs, cheese, nuts... stuff that doesn't get cooked. Then he reminded me about coffee. It won't be very fun without coffee, obviously. So I'm looking at getting a smaller and lighter stove just so I know I will have coffee every morning in the back-country. Even if the stove, fuel, and kettle/cup/whatever is 1.5-2 lbs., I'm going to be sure there is coffee!!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Message from Run The Edge:
    YOUR RUN THE YEAR MEDAL HAS SHIPPED. THIS MEDAL REPRESENTS YOUR 2016 JOURNEY. NO MATTER HOW MANY MILES YOU LOGGED THIS YEAR, BE PROUD OF EVERY STEP

Edited my blah blah blah.... Think I have a plan tomorrow... :wink:
  • lissadecker
    lissadecker Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    November goal: 75 miles
    11/1: 3 miles (m)
    11/2: Rest Day
    11/3: 3 miles
    11/4: 3 miles (m)

My Total/November: 9 miles
    Mike's Total: 6 miles

Good run this morning with Mike and Fergus. We went out a bit later than usual and ran into a lot of kids on the trail heading to school. It was a bit of a pain cause a lot of the kids seem to have some difficulty controlling their bikes. At one point, I had two little girls that were just riding right behind me. There was plenty of room on the path to pass as I was all the way to the right, but they would not pass me until I actually stopped and stepped off the path. They just hovered back there. It was a little weird. I know they are just kids, but it was pretty annoying and really uncalled for. OK...enough grumping. It really actually was a pretty good run overall and I am not feeling it too much today so I think whatever soreness was plaguing my left leg has finally cleared up.

@skippygirlsmom So sorry that Skip didn't make state! I know it is disappointing, but it sounds like she still has a lot to be proud of.

@katharmonic Happy birthday! I hope you have an excellent day! I am surprised we are about the same age; I thought for sure you were younger than me. I'll be 48 next month. You look great!

Have a great day everyone!

exercise.png
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    11/1 - 4 miles
    11/2 - 4 miles
    11/3 - rest day XC meet so lots of sprinting from place to place LOL
    11/4 - ugh aka zero miles

8 out of 100 miles

Thanks everyone, Skip was much better this morning and started the day with a "wake me up tomorrow for 5 miles okay Mom I want to go with you, I'm ready for indoor track". Yes @kristinegift she is a junior.
    @_nikkiwolf_ I love your new shoes too!
  • 5512bf
    5512bf Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    November Goal - 150 Miles

11/1 - 5.02 - Easy
    11/2 - 4.49 - Easy
    11/3 - 6.49 - Easy
    11/4 - 5.21 - Easy

Total - 21.01 of 150

Unremarkable run this morning. Hope to get in a few tomorrow and then do my first post marathon long run. I haven't gone over 7ish in almost a month. I'd like to get back to 40-45 miles a week, and since i'm at 26 this week, looks like i'll do a 4 & 10 this weekend to get there. Hope to maintain that base until December and see what the spring calendar looks like for another marathon.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    5512bf wrote: »
    November Goal - 150 Miles

11/1 - 5.02 - Easy
    11/2 - 4.49 - Easy
    11/3 - 6.49 - Easy
    11/4 - 5.21 - Easy

Total - 21.01 of 150

Unremarkable run this morning. Hope to get in a few tomorrow and then do my first post marathon long run. I haven't gone over 7ish in almost a month. I'd like to get back to 40-45 miles a week, and since i'm at 26 this week, looks like i'll do a 4 & 10 this weekend to get there. Hope to maintain that base until December and see what the spring calendar looks like for another marathon.

Sounds like you have a good plan there. I'm looking at a similar running plan for over winter.