November 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Ohhim wrote: »
    Got in 3 miles of shakeout runs (both a 1 miler last night, and 2 today) as I'm rested, rearing, and ready to go for tomorrow's Ironman. Small craft warning in effect for the swim, so I'll snag some dramamine before the start. Hoping to hold up for a 3:35 marathon at the end (and roughly a 10:20 finish), but will have to avoid wearing myself out on the bike.

My friend who does Ironman tells me he did one in Florida once when the waves were so high that the swim had more elevation gain than the cycling. If you get those conditions, I hope you survive them well!

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »

Question. I've bought the 80/20 book, and haven't started reading much yet, but how do you guys calculate your zones? I have an HRM but just wondering what people do?

Hope you shake that cold and feel better soon!

I just let my HRM (Garmin) calculate my zones. As long as you have some variation in your data (hard runs, easy runs, runs from hell), it'll be accurate. :smiley:
  • Calvin2008Brian
    Calvin2008Brian Posts: 1,024 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    11/1: 3
    11/4: 4.2

7.2 of 60

Incredibly nice outing after work. Hard to believe this is November in Minneapolis!

3yttmy5tohvl.jpg
  • jenlatimer
    jenlatimer Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    1.76 miles

exercise.png
  • OSUbuckeye906
    OSUbuckeye906 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    5512bf wrote: »
    November Goal - 150 Miles

11/1 - 5.02 - Easy
    11/2 - 4.49 - Easy
    11/3 - 6.49 - Easy
    11/4 - 5.21 - Easy

Total - 21.01 of 150

Unremarkable run this morning. Hope to get in a few tomorrow and then do my first post marathon long run. I haven't gone over 7ish in almost a month. I'd like to get back to 40-45 miles a week, and since i'm at 26 this week, looks like i'll do a 4 & 10 this weekend to get there. Hope to maintain that base until December and see what the spring calendar looks like for another marathon.

Right there with you. It's been three weeks since my last half and I am just now getting around to having any desire to do a longish run. I am thinking 10 and 5-6 this weekend. It gets kind of comfy here on easy street ;)

Right there with you guys! My marathon was almost a month ago now, so I'd like to increase my weekly mileage a bit. I'm really trying to work on my pace though, so trying not to do too much all at once.

@katharmonic Happy birthday!
    @AdrianChr92 Congrats on a stellar PR!
    @Ohhim Good luck!!

• juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom Sorry Skip didn't make State! But there's always track season and XC next year! She's a junior this year, right? Chin up, young Skip! You've got a lot of great running ahead!

I couldn't have said it any better than @kristinegift
    When someone of Miss Kristine's caliber can see that Skip has great things in her future - that says a lot.
    I didn't get any shopping done today, I'll have to get to that tomorrow. I had a really nice 2-hour hike with Stella, and it was a little bit of a drive to get there, so the day was longer than I anticipated.

@katharmonic Nothing like some quality time in the wilderness to re-juvenate the mind and soul. Great scenery.
    That waterfall looks like one about a 5 hour drive from where I live. Our little waterfall is very unique in that it is undercut by Spring Floods so you can actually walk behind the Falling Water on the Rock Wall allowing you to cross the river without getting your feet wet.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    01 November – 10.3 km
    03 November – 10 km
    5 November – 5.1 km

Goal: 200 km
    Total: 25.4 km

parkrunday!
    Slower run to save myself for a HM on Sunday.
    Was aiming for 27:40
    Did it in 27:41! :smiley:
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Oh, but now something hurts in the lower part of my right glute.

:neutral:

Really worried I'll have to pull out of my HM tomorrow.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,412 Member
    Options
    Busy week and I haven't had much of a chance to check in... I did end up going for a run in the heat on the 2nd and another run just as hot today... My weekend will be filled with agility so I am not sure if I will get a run in or not.

I did see the Sports Chiro again and he did the gait analysis - pretty interesting stuff. It is clear my right foot has some serious issues that are not completely surprising. He has some concerns about the way I toe off but hopefully the new orthotics will help. The pronation has not and will not go away but I am definitely trying to overcompensate for it and probably resulting in the Achilles issue. I need to allow my feet to go as they wish without my mind trying to force them into unnatural positions. I forgot however to ask why my toes are falling asleep now on that foot or if/when I can/should try to run back to back days again. In the meantime I will continue to run pretty easy every other day.

I hope to catch up with everyone later in the weekend but in the meantime need to give a shout out to the Skippygirl! @skippygirlsmom please let her know how proud all of us are of her and that she is incredible even if she didn't make State!

Date........Miles.....Total
    11/01......0.00......0.00
    11/02......4.66......4.66
    11/03......0.00......4.66
    11/04......4.29......8.95
    11/05......0.00......8.95

exercise.png

My completed and upcoming Races - Let me know if you will be running too!
    02/07/16 - Surf City Half Marathon
    02/20/16 - Divas Half Marathon - Temecula
    07/04/16 - SHEPower Virtual Half Marathon
    07/31/16 - San Francisco 2nd Half Marathon
    08/21/16 - Tiki Beach 10k, Huntington Beach
    09/18/16 - Beat the Blerch Half Marathon, Seattle
    11/19/16 - USA Invitational Half Marathon (Yay, I qualified again!) - CANCELED!!

12/18/16 - San Diego Holiday Half Marathon
    02/05/17 - Surf City Half Marathon
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options

November Goal: have as much fun running as Lily the Whippet does!

11/1 6.50
    11/2 got distracted by some silly ball game...
    11/3 3.20
    11/4 2.05
    ...and off for a couple days as I travel to Vegas to meet with the whole famdamily including son who was supposed to be dead by now!

Total: 11.75

@katharmonic happiest of birthdays!
    @Ohhim have a great time at your ironman!

Upcoming races:
    Las Vegas Rock n Roll 10k 11/13/16

Ticker is my goal for 2016 and total to date:

exercise.png

• 07KatieP13
    07KatieP13 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    1/11 C210K W4 D1: 3.1
    2/11 Rest
    3/11 C210K W4 D2: 2.3
    4/11 Rest
    5/11 C210K W4 D3: 3.7

Total 9.1 miles

Well that's the end of week 4, so far so good. Week 5 is supposed to be a cutback week but to be honest I don't think I've done enough to warrant one so just going to move on to week 6 on Monday, looking forward to it! :)
  • 07KatieP13
    07KatieP13 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    exercise.png
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

Question. I've bought the 80/20 book, and haven't started reading much yet, but how do you guys calculate your zones? I have an HRM but just wondering what people do?

I just let my HRM (Garmin) calculate my zones. As long as you have some variation in your data (hard runs, easy runs, runs from hell), it'll be accurate. :smiley:

Well I've mostly been doing what I would call easy, and my TomTom must be calculating based on age etc. However according to it, over 90% of my time is spent running in zone 5 or sprint zone. Clearly this is not the case as I CAN have a conversation during a run, albeit with gaps.

I'm a relatively new runner, starting from a low/moderate fitness level, and have certainly seen my heart rate and thus fitness improve (based on recovery time). But I'm keen to understand what I should do to calculate zones based on my personal reality rather than an algorithm based on an 'average person' - I've read to run flat out for 30 minutes or something. Does anyone have a technique they've used?
  • Elise4270
    Options

Well I've mostly been doing what I would call easy, and my TomTom must be calculating based on age etc. However according to it, over 90% of my time is spent running in zone 5 or sprint zone. Clearly this is not the case as I CAN have a conversation during a run, albeit with gaps.

I'm a relatively new runner, starting from a low/moderate fitness level, and have certainly seen my heart rate and thus fitness improve (based on recovery time). But I'm keen to understand what I should do to calculate zones based on my personal reality rather than an algorithm based on an 'average person' - I've read to run flat out for 30 minutes or something. Does anyone have a technique they've used?

There must be online hr zones calculators. All you need the your resting hr, the lowest number you've ever seen, (laying around, first wake up). And the highest number on your hr data. Should be a hard effort.

One those numbers are plugged in, the zones are percentages of the range (I think).
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options

There must be online hr zones calculators. All you need the your resting hr, the lowest number you've ever seen, (laying around, first wake up). And the highest number on your hr data. Should be a hard effort.

One those numbers are plugged in, the zones are percentages of the range (I think).

I'm really looking for a specific technique to measure that 'hard effort'. Is hard effort how long I run for two seconds, five minutes, etc. Is that from a cold start or what?

I appreciate I could use the internet generally to ask this question, which I have done with varying results such as 'run for 15 minutes then flat out for 2, take your heart rate from the last minute and add 5' or 'walk four laps briskly round a park and take your heart rate from the last lap'. I imagine both will give varying results which is why I asked here, where there seem to be a number of runners who understand and USE these things in training, for their advice.
  • Elise4270
    Options

I'm really looking for a specific technique to measure that 'hard effort'. Is hard effort how long I run for two seconds, five minutes, etc. Is that from a cold start or what?

I appreciate I could use the internet generally to ask this question, which I have done with varying results such as 'run for 15 minutes then flat out for 2, take your heart rate from the last minute and add 5' or 'walk four laps briskly round a park and take your heart rate from the last lap'. I imagine both will give varying results which is why I asked here, where there seem to be a number of runners who understand and USE these things in training, for their advice.

Usually I see my highest hr starting out in the first half mile. I don't think it matters how you get it. For me 5 minutes at a hard effort is plenty to get my hr up.

I'm sure someone else will chime in. Weekend is a little slow on this thread at times. I'm not sure I'd trust the internet. There's too much bad info.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    November walking miles

1---6.24 
    2---travel/pt/doc
    3---3.1 walk, 25 minute swim, 2.8 walk
    4--- travel
    5---3.19 meh

15.33/50+

Not Advisable races:
    12/11/16 BMW Dallas Marathon, Half (registered)
    Run the year 2016  898.42/ 2016 (DNF)

Advisable races:
    March 19th 2017 RNR Half Dallas, TX
    March 26th 2017 A2A 5k Ardmore, OK
    April 30th 2017 OKC Memorial Marathon, Half
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    21.83% of goal

01-Nov: 7.90 miles
    02-Nov: 3.94 miles
    03-Nov: 5.86 miles
    04-Nov: 5.76 miles
    05-Nov: 10.38 miles
    06-Nov: <Life Day>
    07-Nov:
    08-Nov:
    09-Nov:
    10-Nov:
    11-Nov:
    12-Nov: - Race Day (FUMC 5K)
    13-Nov: <Life Day>
    14-Nov:
    15-Nov:
    16-Nov:
    17-Nov:
    18-Nov:
    19-Nov: - planned HM day
    20-Nov: <Life Day>
    21-Nov:
    22-Nov:
    23-Nov:
    24-Nov:
    25-Nov:
    26-Nov:
    27-Nov: <Life Day>
    28-Nov:
    29-Nov:
    30-Nov:

exercise.png

Nothing really to report - had a decent run this morning, but prob faster than I needed to go. Still having a problem keeping the pace in the 11+ min range....

Upcoming Races:
    12-Nov: FUMC 5K, Warner Robins
    03-Dec: Reindeer Run (10K), Macon
    26-Dec - 01-Jan: Random running in JAPAN!
    14-Jan: Museum of Aviation HM, Warner Robins
    04-Mar: Albany/Snickers HM, Albany
    25-Mar: Cherry Blossom Road Race 10K, Macon
    08-Apr: Running for Ronald 10K/15K, Macon