November 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    lporter229 wrote: »
    @Ohhim...unbelievable job!!! I can't even imagine...

(Just stalked your results. Thanks for the link)

Just had time to look. 10:21:27 Ironman, capped by a 3:38:20 marathon. Amazing!

That marathon time was awesome in and of itself, coming at the end of an Ironman is totally phenomenal
  • OSUbuckeye906
    OSUbuckeye906 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Phenomenal job, @Ohhim !
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    @Ohhim Oh my freaking wow!!!
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    @Ohhim Congratulations! You're an inspiration!
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    I was just checking out my Garmin and Strava data for today's run, and noticed that. if all goes well, I'll reach my mileage goal for the year on my long run next Saturday.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    Pulled out of my HM. My glute was too sore walking the afternoon before, so I thought it was wise not to run on it, let alone run a half.

Instead, I have had a lovely morning cheering everyone on, and chatting with lots of friends.

@Orphia Sounds like the smart choice. Glad you could make the best of it by cheering!!

And congrats, @Ohhim! I can't wait to read a race report in the coming days!
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    Pulled out of my HM. My glute was too sore walking the afternoon before, so I thought it was wise not to run on it, let alone run a half.

Instead, I have had a lovely morning cheering everyone on, and chatting with lots of friends.

That was a very good move on your part. I honestly son't know if I would have been smart enough to DNS. Good to see you went out there to cheer on the runners!
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    @Orphia Sorry about the glute but sounds like the right choice. Do some glute stretches and if you have a tennis ball that really helps to sit on the ball and massage the sore spot.

I ran 1.35 miles round trip to DG this afternoon for cold medicine. Thinking I may call doctor Monday because I can't kick this postnasal drip for 3 weeks now! Then later I ran 3.65 to make 5 miles for the day. Did 3 little speed intervals but was running out of time because it was getting dark and I didn't have any reflective gear on.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Thanks, @kristinegift @MNLittleFinn and @greenolivetree

I'm not quite sure if it's actually the glute or not. None of the muscles in the area hurt to the touch. It could be a nerve. It just feels sore at the join between my butt cheek and the top of my leg.

It's a pain in the *kitten*!

But(t) kind of a pain in the leg, and I can feel it sometimes all the way down the leg, though @louubelle16 is right, I think that bit's taper crazies. Having tapered/rested for 3 weeks, I'm going loopy!

Making an appointment with the physiotherapist tomorrow, to be on the safe side.

Still, thanks again, yes, it was lovely today soaking up the race atmosphere.

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options

I'm not quite sure if it's actually the glute or not. None of the muscles in the area hurt to the touch. It could be a nerve. It just feels sore at the join between my butt cheek and the top of my leg.

But(t) kind of a pain in the leg, and I can feel it sometimes all the way down the leg, though @louubelle16 is right, I think that bit's taper crazies. Having tapered/rested for 3 weeks, I'm going loopy!

Making an appointment with the physiotherapist tomorrow, to be on the safe side.

Sounds like high hamstring tendonosis/hamstring origin tendonosis. The physio is a good idea. I hear it is difficult to get rid of.

It showed up on my MRI, but was never formally addressed. My hip is a mess. I shan't go on. *Hangs head*
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @Ohhim AMAZING race today. You ran a marathon time I can only dream of, and that was AFTER a swim and bike ride. You are totally awesome! Really looking forward to your full race report!
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

Sounds like high hamstring tendonosis/hamstring origin tendonosis. The physio is a good idea. I hear it is difficult to get rid of.

It showed up on my MRI, but was never formally addressed. My hip is a mess. I shan't go on. *Hangs head*

Yep. This is why I took 2 months off running almost exactly a year ago! I think it was November 8-January 1. I had been trying to run through it for awhile and had read up on it. Finally conceded to 8 weeks off. It worked. Maybe I could've had quicker results if I saw a PT. But I didn't. When I returned to running Jan 1 I avoided hills for 3 months and only ran slow. Good news is it hasn't returned!
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    Just a very short run today. Hot and windy and tapering for swimming nationals in six days.

1 November 5.57km run
    2 November 2.4km swim
    3 November 6km run
    4 November 8km run
    5 November 2.15km swim
    6 November 3.43km run

Running goal:  50km
    Swimming goal:  25km

exercise.png

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,391 Member
    Options
    @Ohhim - Congratulations on an awesome Ironman event!!
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    @Ohhim fabulous job! "See" you next Sunday!
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    HonuNui wrote: »
    @Ohhim fabulous job! "See" you next Sunday!

Definitely looking forward to vegas! Get in Saturday AM, leave Monday night, have Sat Dinner/Sunday Lunch plans but free otherwise (outside of the 10K). Can PM if you have any ideas.

Oddly enough, my mobility after the ironman is a bit better than after marathons (as of right now), as I think the slower pace/intensity of what you can race at doesn't do as much damage to your joints. Still, not planning to run much for a while, and won't be racing the 10K. Have a friend who raced IM Florida today who is also doing the race.

Also, @mobycarp RE: Splits - Ironman is notoriously bad about distances between splits being accurate. All mile splits except 20-24 & my bathroom break mile were within 5 seconds of an 8:15. I may have been able to go faster, but at that point of the race (after having a bad hot late marathon experience at Disney in January), I just wanted to finish upright so I just stuck to my plan.
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    That's amazing @Ohhim, well done! To be in the top 5% too, such an inspiration :smiley: