Options

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    gwenster89 wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    i'm sure tons of people have been able to lose weight and keep drinking diet soda but it's soooooo bad for youuuuuuu. the chemicals in it seriously mess with your head and there have been a ton of studies to prove this. like, not just one fringe study with iffy results, but truly countless studies.

i used to be a hopeless diet coke addict and then i finally switched to seltzer. i realized that when i craved diet coke, the fizziness of seltzer totally did the trick. there are also tons of diet sodas that are sweetened with natural zero-calorie sweeteners like stevia instead of aspartame. or you can drink kombucha! it does have sugar but it's processed by yeast and bacteria so it doesn't cause the same insulin spike.

Feel free to post some of those totally countless studies which show it's soooooooo bad for youuuuuuu.

oops I completely meant to. here's a bunch:

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1038/oby.2008.284/full

http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/32/4/688.short

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.355.2133&rep=rep1&type=pdf

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/53/4/872.short

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/09/150911094912.htm

and one article that isn't from a peer-reviewed journal or academic institution buttttt it's jillian michaels, and she's the *kitten*...

http://www.jillianmichaels.com/fit/lose-weight/myth-diet-soda

there are a bunch more. just type it into google scholar. it's all about just eating whole foods, man. the point is, these giant corporations want to keep you addicted to this stuff so you keep buying it. they put stuff in it that messes with your head. i think someone else mentioned that... the artificial sweeteners actually make you more hungry and crave more soda. point is, it's full of garbage. and like i said, there are totally other diet sodas out there that just don't have all the crap in them! my favorite is blue sky :) not a shaming thing at all. believeeeee me, i speak from experience.

From your first link:
    Possible explanations for our findings

There may be no causal relationship between AS use and weight gain. Individuals seeking to lose weight often switch to *kitten* in order to reduce their caloric intake. AS use might therefore simply be a marker for individuals already on weight-gain trajectories, which continued despite their switching to *kitten*. This is the most obvious possible explanation of our findings.

LMFAO I could NOT work out why there were *kitten*'s cropping up in there. AS's.

I did not even think about what the kitten filter would do to that quote! :drinker:
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,767 Member
    Options
    how specific. Its weird though, do you not agree that water is the best way to go? There is nothing good for you in diet coke or soda in general. Given it won't make you fat, but it is not healthy. It's best to KICK THE HABIT and learn to drink water instead. I researched this on my own and came to my own opinion, I encourage anyone to do the same! It's a lifestyle, so everyone's will be different. Things you choose as important will be different than mine. Soda was my first thing to go, coffee however is most important!

Do you even know what aspartame is?
    Did you know that diet drinks are actually 99% water?
    Can you post your diet soda research?
    And, do you avoid DHMO?

Thankfully, I wasn't taking a sip of my diet soda when I read this. It may have ended up leaving my body through my nose. LOL

Lucky you. I was.

:s
  • joburnolt
    joburnolt Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Diet coke is actually a great option. And don't worry about the artificial sweeteners, your body doesn't even process those, and they come out the other end without any harm done. I'd actually recommend Monster Zero Calorie Energy drinks, and coffee with non-fat milk. Good tasting options with hardly any calories.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    So in other words, none of those studies prove what they were purported to prove. As usual.

Okay, I can admit defeat. I assumed the relationship was causative, not correlative, from rumblings on the street, not studies I had sat down and read. Baseline, I don't think we should be eating and drinking stuff with a million ingredients that's artificially created in a lab. I'm a farmer and I'll totally admit my bias that I believe in the power of whole foods and want everyone, especially my sisters around the world, to jump on the bandwagon. And I'm not anti soda or diet soda! Just anti evil corporations like Coca Cola and PepsiCo. Didn't mean to insult anyone, just jumped the gun, and I apologize.

No worries. Live and learn. :)
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    For some people it does cause cravings, for other it doesn't. You just have to go by how diet soda effects you personally.

I'm one of those people that is/was greatly affected by artificial sweeteners. It did affect my cravings, I did gain a tremendous amount of weight drinking them (b/c it affects cravings which affected my appetite). And to top it off, the AS gave me a severe case of pancreatitis while pregnant (not a good thing!). Needless to say, I abruptly stopped my 6-8 can a day diet coke habit 15+ years ago and can't touch artificial sweeteners (they still affect me). That said, I still like a fizzy drink once in awhile so I drink Blue Sky Root Beer sweetened with stevia. Neither stevia nor xylitol seem to affect me. But I don't drink it often. Maybe one a week. I'm a water girl mostly. Because of my experience (and plenty of reading), I am firmly in the corner of the stuff is crap and no one should touch it. But like Christine said, not everyone is affected the way I was.

After such experiences I understand why you are in the camp of YOU shouldnt drink it ( although you could of experimented with drinking less than 8 cans a day - you know, context, dosage) but I dont understand why you are in the camp of " no-one should touch it" - given, as you said yourself, it doesnt affect everyone the way it affected you.

That is like someone saying I have an anaphylactic reaction to peanuts so I am in the camp of they are bad for ME - nobody would dispute that.

But most people dont go on to say therefore nobody should touch them.

Oh, no kidding. The issue was, I literally craved Diet Coke so I drank it like water. Any sort of diet soda would satisfy the need but I preferred Diet Coke. That's where I do think that aspartame does have addictive possibilities because there's nothing else in it that would indicate that kind of pull.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    i'm sure tons of people have been able to lose weight and keep drinking diet soda but it's soooooo bad for youuuuuuu. the chemicals in it seriously mess with your head and there have been a ton of studies to prove this. like, not just one fringe study with iffy results, but truly countless studies.

i used to be a hopeless diet coke addict and then i finally switched to seltzer. i realized that when i craved diet coke, the fizziness of seltzer totally did the trick. there are also tons of diet sodas that are sweetened with natural zero-calorie sweeteners like stevia instead of aspartame. or you can drink kombucha! it does have sugar but it's processed by yeast and bacteria so it doesn't cause the same insulin spike.

"Truly countless" = zero, right?