Replies

• Sepa
    Sepa Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Wow. Just wow
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    Get rid of him altogether. You don't deserve this, honey.
  • Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    1 Congrats on deciding to lose weight for yourself (before your boyfriend commented).
    2 WELL DONE on the weight that you lost. That is awesome.
    3 Keep on losing till you are happy with your weight.
    4 Dump him and get someone better that will appreciate you.
  • xtinalovexo
    xtinalovexo Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    ypu should seek counseling to deal with your potential codependency and low self respect. i was in an abusive relationship and it DOES get better without him. you CANT change or deal with this, you accept the love you think you deserve.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    If you marry this guy you will be stuck with him and I guarantee he won't get better. You can't DO anything to change him. If you are satisfied with the relationship this is what you will have. I weighed 251 pounds before I got my weight under control and my husband (married 42 years) told me he loved me just the way I was. That's a relationship worth working on. You can do better than a man who is as insecure as he is. Please reconsider.
  • Derpy_Hooves
    Derpy_Hooves Posts: 234 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Leaz947 wrote: »
    Hi guys!

(No, I don't want to leave him, sorry)

Why not? He sounds like a total t.w.a.t.
  • beginforthelasttime16
    Options
    OP- If you had a daughter in the future, would you let a man treat your daughter this way? If someone treated your best friend, your mother, any woman in your life would that be okay with you?

I would hope you would tell them to run and that's exactly what you should do. I work in the mental health field and having a disorder is no excuse to treat people like crap and settling for it only gives him license to continue. He is responsible for his actions and the consequences they come from- not you.

You say you stay for love but doing so is really an action of self-hate. Love yourself first and find someone who genuinely loves you. You don't treat things you love like garbage.
  • Leaz947
    Leaz947 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Hi guys! I spoke to him over text about it slightly (I already have done before) and he said that he will treat me however I want when I stop being lazy and when he can mold me into want he wants.
    The molding into what he wants thing started about 4 months ago and is really hard, he says that I'm not putting any effort into us and that I'm selfish and have a small brain just because I don't have knowledge about the world (he is extremely intelligent) he wants me to learn how things work and what things are and I do sometimes but not everyday, I don't want to spend everyday talking about quantum physics, sometimes I just want to relax and talk about nothing or simple things.
    Anyways, to put it simple 3 months ago he started telling me to stop debating things, two months ago he started to tell me that I am not allowed to speak until he is finished and that my opinion isn't valid and whenever I do it he ignores me and walk it of the room or ends the call if we are in a call. If I try to defend myself he calls me a *kitten* and big mouthed and that he doesn't want to be with someone like me yet I can't bring myself to leave him because, despite all this, I hope that he can get better and become who he once was...Does anyone recommend what I can do? Is therapy the only way?
  • Leaz947
    Options
    OP- If you had a daughter in the future, would you let a man treat your daughter this way? If someone treated your best friend, your mother, any woman in your life would that be okay with you?

I would hope you would tell them to run and that's exactly what you should do. I work in the mental health field and having a disorder is no excuse to treat people like crap and settling for it only gives him license to continue. He is responsible for his actions and the consequences they come from- not you.

You say you stay for love but doing so is really an action of self-hate. Love yourself first and find someone who genuinely loves you. You don't treat things you love like garbage.

My mother had a boyfriend like that when I was 12 and I stood up to him when he was screaming at her, didn't end well but the answer is no, I wouldn't let anyone treat anyone else like this, even a stranger.
    The thing is that I'm not anyone else, I'm me, if you work in the mental field do you think that there is a possibility of me having a mental illness for not being able to break up with him? Of course you can't give a diagnosis, especially based on such little information.
    Thank you for taking your time to read and respond, I'm so grateful for everyone's help :)
  • zorander6
    zorander6 Posts: 2,711 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Leave, and don't look back. This shows that the abuse is growing and will continue to grow. Therapy won't help, leaving will.

Don't tell him you are leaving, don't tell him where you are going, don't leave him any way to communicate with you. Don't talk to his besties and for the love of $diety DON'T THINK ABOUT GOING BACK!
  • Leaz947
    Options
    Hi guys!

There is also a good side to him and when I met him he was so fragile and broken and I'm scared that I'll hurt him, plus I don't like the thought of never seeing him again because he used to be the most wonderful person ever.
  • Leaz947
    Options
    If you marry this guy you will be stuck with him and I guarantee he won't get better. You can't DO anything to change him. If you are satisfied with the relationship this is what you will have. I weighed 251 pounds before I got my weight under control and my husband (married 42 years) told me he loved me just the way I was. That's a relationship worth working on. You can do better than a man who is as insecure as he is. Please reconsider.

So many people are telling me of people like that, which sounds amazing but so much that it kind of seems unreal. I knlw that my current partner isn't the worst one out there and he doesn't physically harm me but what if I try and I end up with someone worse? I'm attached to him, I've been dating him for two years now..
  • zorander6
    Options
    Hi guys!

There is also a good side to him and when I met him he was so fragile and broken and I'm scared that I'll hurt him, plus I don't like the thought of never seeing him again because he used to be the most wonderful person ever.

He's hurting you now and will continue to do so. He will find a new victim sadly and abuse her as well. LEAVE NOW
  • Leaz947
    Options
    zorander6 wrote: »
    Hi guys!

He's hurting you now and will continue to do so. He will find a new victim sadly and abuse her as well. LEAVE NOW

I don't want another girl to end up in a relationship like this, isn't it better for me to stay so that someone else doesn't end up like this?
  • zorander6
    Options
    zorander6 wrote: »
    Hi guys!

I don't want another girl to end up in a relationship like this, isn't it better for me to stay so that someone else doesn't end up like this?

Self sacrifice on the altar of abuse does not a hero make. Sadly you can't protect others beyond recommending as many of the ladies here have done.
  • Leaz947
    Options
    Morgaen73 wrote: »
    1 Congrats on deciding to lose weight for yourself (before your boyfriend commented).
    2 WELL DONE on the weight that you lost. That is awesome.
    3 Keep on losing till you are happy with your weight.
    4 Dump him and get someone better that will appreciate you.

Thank you a lot for the kind comment, I'll try to do step four when I have the courage. :)
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Hi guys! I spoke to him over text about it slightly (I already have done before) and he said that he will treat me however I want when I stop being lazy and when he can mold me into want he wants.
    The molding into what he wants thing started about 4 months ago and is really hard, he says that I'm not putting any effort into us and that I'm selfish and have a small brain just because I don't have knowledge about the world (he is extremely intelligent) he wants me to learn how things work and what things are and I do sometimes but not everyday, I don't want to spend everyday talking about quantum physics, sometimes I just want to relax and talk about nothing or simple things.
    Anyways, to put it simple 3 months ago he started telling me to stop debating things, two months ago he started to tell me that I am not allowed to speak until he is finished and that my opinion isn't valid and whenever I do it he ignores me and walk it of the room or ends the call if we are in a call. If I try to defend myself he calls me a *kitten* and big mouthed and that he doesn't want to be with someone like me yet I can't bring myself to leave him because, despite all this, I hope that he can get better and become who he once was...Does anyone recommend what I can do? Is therapy the only way?

All of this bolded text spells trouble.

He is NOT going to change.

He has put you down more than once, insulting your looks and your intelligence. This is not what a healthy relationship is.

You need to get out. I still don't understand why you would want to stay if he continues to berate you like this.

As others have said, it WILL get better when you're not with him.

Everyone has recommended that you leave.

For the longest time, I thought 'moot point' was 'moo point' because of the joke in Friends. My boyfriend laughed and said 'Well, now you know'. But he didn't berate my intelligence and say I have a small brain.

He has been grooming you for further abuse.