Boyfriends standards of weight?

Options

Replies

• Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    I might get some *kitten* for this, but since leaving him is not a option...

What if you started treating him the exact way he treats you????

Call him names, belittle him, comment on his appearance and intellect...I doubt he'll like it much, but at least the playing field would be even.

I can't insult him because I feel terrible for doing it afterwards. The worst I have called him is an *kitten* and that happened once when he told me that he was glad that I was crying because of the way he was treating me. I have called him a horrible person various times but then he gets offended over it and I feel really bad. I'm not a person that insults someone else and puts them down, even if they do the same to me, it just doesn't feel right...

thats because its not right. you are a good person and you deserve to be treated right.
    i like that you have come back to face all the comments been thrown at you here. you are stronger than you think to deal with this guy. I really wish you all the best
    dont ever let anyone talk for you, not let you voice your own opinion and talk down for you, it will destroy you
  • Leaz947
    Leaz947 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    I'm having a hard time understanding why you don't want to leave someone who verbally abuses you and is apparently a vain doosh to begin with.

I just can't bring myself to do it I guess, I am secretly hoping for it to get better
  • zorander6
    zorander6 Posts: 2,711 Member
    Options
    I'm having a hard time understanding why you don't want to leave someone who verbally abuses you and is apparently a vain doosh to begin with.

I just can't bring myself to do it I guess, I am secretly hoping for it to get better

Do it, it will not magically get better.

Either that or be miserable and unhappy the rest of your life, assuming he doesn't leave you behind later. Just pack up and go.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,933 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    OP, I'm genuinely curious, when you posted this, what sort of advice were you looking for? Because stating up front that you aren't interested in leaving him, you had to have known that was going to be the majority of the advice you would get. And if you knew that was the advice you'd get, then you must have at least considered this already, and decided you weren't willing to do that (whatever your reasons are). So what sort of advice did you hope for? Ways to humiliate him and make him feel as bad as he makes you? Ways to drop the weight quickly so you can achieve the perfect girlfriend body that he is hoping for? Because people aren't going to give you any of that sort of advice - so I'm failing to see what can happen here, other than just validation and sympathy? I not really big on that sort of thing, so I'm just going to suggest that you seek counseling and a backbone.

I am not exact sure what I'm looking for if I'm completely honest with you, I realise what the real solution is yet I am still not capable of coming to terms with it, I agree with you about growing a backbone, it is something I used to have but now I have become weak I guess. I'm not looking for sympathy, I am being desperate and trying to look for a solution that I'm beginning to think doesn't exist just to keep my relationship afloat, I don't want to give up on a person that I love so dearly. I'm sorry for annoying you all so much.

Don't apologize though. It happens to the best of us and it does take time to get to a place where you can really let go. Hopefully sooner rather than later... but feelings don't usually change in the blink of an eye, as much as we wish we could make them sometimes.

I have a friend who stayed in a relationship almost two years after she was really uncomfortable with how he made her feel. It got worse and worse. Many friends and family told her she needed to break up with him. He had a narcissistic personality disorder (their couples therapist diagnosed it). She finally managed to break up with him, even though it made her so sad. After she did, he decided it was a good idea to tell her he cheated on her 4 times. Just to make her feel worse. But I think she always knew he was a bad apple, but somehow allowed him to convince her it was all her fault. She is a very kind person who is also very intelligent. So it really happens to anyone!
  • Leaz947
    Options
    zorander6 wrote: »
    I'm going to argue that one:
    1. If he's already displaying this type of attitude telling him it hurts your feelings will most likely encourage it sadly. You've tried telling him this from what I've read. Once is more than enough.
    2. This may be dangerous, it may encourage him (doubtful) or he may become violent to prove his strength.
    3. Cheating on him sinks you to his level. If you are going to cheat leave.
    4. You will never meet his requirements, just leave.
    5. This one I can agree with fully. Also when you find someone better don't take out what this asshat did to you on them.

I would never cheat, I have seen the affects of cheating and I could never do that to anyone, no matter what the circumstances. Not only that but I don't think that I'm capable of trusting someone and getting close to them enough for that, I would also despise myself.
    Also, concerning number 5, I would never treat anyone this way, similar treatment has happened to me in the past but it was my parent not my partner and it made me become the complete opposite of them.
    Yes, telling him that he hurt my feelings encourages him sometimes but there are odd moments where I breakdown crying where he comforts me and cries himself and apologises, I don't get it..
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    OP I do commend you for coming back and having further discussions with people. You seem to know deep down what the right thing to do is. Yes, you are young, and this is your first serious relationship - but if you've been on your own since you were 15 then you are stronger than you realize.

Do you live with the boyfriend? Are you financially dependent on him in any way? Do you have a family or friends that you can rely on for support?
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    You're young and you don't need that kind of crap in your life.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options

This is encouraging. I think you know this isn't healthy and you know it isn't going to "get better". I think you just need some encouragement to do what you know is good and right for you.

You are stronger than you know, it won't be easy, but it will definitely be worth it.
  • bblue656
    bblue656 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    bblue656 wrote: »
    I feel like this is more of an attention seeking thread.

Possibly.

But if it's not?

Then she needs to grow a pair and realize that things arent going to get better, and she needs to leave him. Simple as that. Feelings aside.
  • Nooneknows21
    Nooneknows21 Posts: 81 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Do what you feel in your heart. It is an incredibly difficult place to be, but you are strong. The fact that you have come on here and asked for advice makes you strong.
    I hope you find the strength to do what is right for YOU.

My opinion? You seem like a lovely person who is being made to feel weak. No human being has the right to make someone else feel that way.
  • zorander6
    Options
    zorander6 wrote: »
    I'm going to argue that one:
    1. If he's already displaying this type of attitude telling him it hurts your feelings will most likely encourage it sadly. You've tried telling him this from what I've read. Once is more than enough.
    2. This may be dangerous, it may encourage him (doubtful) or he may become violent to prove his strength.
    3. Cheating on him sinks you to his level. If you are going to cheat leave.
    4. You will never meet his requirements, just leave.
    5. This one I can agree with fully. Also when you find someone better don't take out what this asshat did to you on them.

I would never cheat, I have seen the affects of cheating and I could never do that to anyone, no matter what the circumstances. Not only that but I don't think that I'm capable of trusting someone and getting close to them enough for that, I would also despise myself.
    Also, concerning number 5, I would never treat anyone this way, similar treatment has happened to me in the past but it was my parent not my partner and it made me become the complete opposite of them.
    Yes, telling him that he hurt my feelings encourages him sometimes but there are odd moments where I breakdown crying where he comforts me and cries himself and apologises, I don't get it..

He needs professional help then, not you being the brunt of his abuse. Without knowing him personally I'd still say get out. Don't explain, don't say goodbye, just go. Have your exit plan in place and go. He is not going to get better because you love him.
  • Leaz947
    Options
    bblue656 wrote: »
    I feel like this is more of an attention seeking thread.

And why do you think that? It could be argued that it is attention seeking, since I am asking for other people's opinions because I need them. I didn't ask them anything about myself though, I'm not seeking for reconfirmations, I'm seeking for the truth. I understand your perspective but please understand that I'm not here because of the attention.
  • zorander6
    Options

Call him names, belittle him, comment on his appearance and intellect...I doubt he'll like it much, but at least the playing field would be even.

I can't insult him because I feel terrible for doing it afterwards. The worst I have called him is an *kitten* and that happened once when he told me that he was glad that I was crying because of the way he was treating me. I have called him a horrible person various times but then he gets offended over it and I feel really bad. I'm not a person that insults someone else and puts them down, even if they do the same to me, it just doesn't feel right...

thats because its not right. you are a good person and you deserve to be treated right.
    i like that you have come back to face all the comments been thrown at you here. you are stronger than you think to deal with this guy. I really wish you all the best
    dont ever let anyone talk for you, not let you voice your own opinion and talk down for you, it will destroy you

I knew that I was going to get judged a lot by posting this but everyone is right about it, I know that, some are just more harsh than others with wording it. I would react the same as everyone else here had it been someone else in my shoes, however, it isn't.
    When it comes to subjects that I'm not emotionally attached to I can be strong but I'm not actually a strong person, I'm weak, hopefully one day I'll teach myself how to be strong but I doubt that it will happen any time soon. Thank you for the kind comment, I think that one of the reasons I posted here is because I am trying to give myself a wake up call and seeing dozens of people saying the same thing is helping me I guess.
    I hope that you have a nice day, you seem like a nice person too! :)

I may be coming across as harsh lass just because sometimes people need a kick in the rear to get moving. No excuses, you can be as strong as you want to be. It's your choice, but you will survive and be a better person for it if you get out now.
  • Leaz947
    Options

rtqwq8nir80i.gif

Gif aside....you need to get out. Someone who likes making you cry is not worth sticking around for, even if he has his 'good days'. That's just his way to getting you to stick around for more abuse.

The sad thing is that I realise this, my instincts tell me this and I realise that I'm trapped in an unhealthy cycle yet I can't bring myself to leave, I'm trying to find an easy way to fix all of this.