What nobody tells you about losing weight

Replies

• Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    @3474449k ...CF? Cystic Fibrosis? You've done well to be 69 with it, it's heartening to see (my son is a carrier).
  • ShammersPink
    ShammersPink Posts: 215 Member
    spikeyhair wrote: »
    That must be discouraging but think of the health benefits can you afford to get some clothes made or join a class and learn to sew. Don't give up

I'm really pleased with my loss but because of my age 71 I have loose skin and hate my arms but hey I'm fitter and stronger than when in my Thirties Good luck

Heh. well done on that! You probably notice your own loose skin more than anyone else will. I won't give up - I look better at a healthy weight, as well as feeling better. I am thinking of sewing myself a couple of tops when I reach goal.

I'm fine with T-shirts, and can shop judiciously in men's departments for pullovers, sweatshirts etc, but all my life, smarter and nicer tops and jackets have been an issue. I recently realised that they had become less of an issue when I was into the "overweight" bracket.

Tall women's shops don't help, because my trunk is hardly any longer than average, so the waist is too low and the tops are too long on my body. Also, I think their range is meh.

All my extra height is in my legs, and longer length trousers are easily available these days (they weren't when I was a teen). It's my swimmer's shoulders and gorilla arms that do the damage.
    3474449k Posts: 46 Member
    secretiive wrote: »
    - That eating healthy, veggies & low fat, lean meats) can mean eating a lot of food - some days I am just tired of eating, and still don't reach my calorie goal.

Amen lol! I darn near feel stuffed when I eat and still not quite hitting calorie goals.

I see quite a lot of posts about eating low fat. I've seen several people reach plateaus and couldn't lose anymore until they added a little 'good' fat to their diet. I use olive oil to cook my egg in the morning and eat a tablespoon of peanut butter on toast occasionally. So if you get stuck give it a try and just add it into your calories for the day.
    What I didn't expect: I no longer suit the type of clothes I used to wear as a big person. I have lost most of my bust and bottom. I can't fill out a dress any more. I need to find a whole new style and shape of clothes to wear, and I'm 51. I don't know where to start.

Not a bad problem to have. It could be fun finding out. I have no advice for the bust but I do for the bottom. My grranddaughter never had much of a butt but she took up running, usually around 3-5 miles. One day I noticed she had a nice little round bottom now and she said it was from the running. (I am now running). :wink:
    No one told me how absolutely annoying seatbelts would be as they rub my now-sticking-out collar bone practically raw every single day. The only way I can manage to get any relief is to put the seatbelt under my arm so that it can continue to rub my arm and armpit raw instead. I hate seatbelts with a passion now. :s

But on a much more serious note, what shocked me the most about losing weight was...myself. I've heard that losing weight gives you confidence, but no one told me that weight loss would give me a whole new personality. Being overweight my ENTIRE life, I never realized how much my weight and insecurities affected my personality. I was hiding behind my weight my whole life and I never even knew it. Once the weight came off, the true me that had been hiding for years emerged. And she is radically different from the person I always thought I was! It's been an interesting journey getting to know this new me! ;)

Leave a soft cloth, piece of foam, or towel in the car to put between the seatbelt and you
  • SapphireMoon23
    SapphireMoon23 Posts: 139 Member
    3474449k wrote: »
    No one told me how absolutely annoying seatbelts would be as they rub my now-sticking-out collar bone practically raw every single day. The only way I can manage to get any relief is to put the seatbelt under my arm so that it can continue to rub my arm and armpit raw instead. I hate seatbelts with a passion now. :s

But on a much more serious note, what shocked me the most about losing weight was...myself. I've heard that losing weight gives you confidence, but no one told me that weight loss would give me a whole new personality. Being overweight my ENTIRE life, I never realized how much my weight and insecurities affected my personality. I was hiding behind my weight my whole life and I never even knew it. Once the weight came off, the true me that had been hiding for years emerged. And she is radically different from the person I always thought I was! It's been an interesting journey getting to know this new me! ;)

Leave a soft cloth, piece of foam, or towel in the car to put between the seatbelt and you

I had to buy myself one of those seat belt cushions They are very helpful.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    That it's harder to find clothes that fit when I'm a healthy weight than when I'm overweight.

My shoulders are broad, and my wingspan is huge for a woman, so when my boobs and belly go down to a sensible size I find it impossible to buy feminine long sleeve tops, or most tops in woven fabric.

When I'm fatter, I still struggle, but with persistence, I can often find something, because the sleeve length and shoulder breadth goes up with larger dress sizes.

This is me too. Those long sleeved fitted women's shirts are impossible for me, because they're always too small through the shoulders.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!