December 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• trudyschmidt
    trudyschmidt Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Just checking in. I've ran 12 of my 45 goal. I better get moving!
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I have some catching up to do!

Wednesday - Unscheduled rest day. I wanted to give my Achilles a break before it turned into something major.
    Thursday - 6.5 miles w/ Kody. Slight niggle in the Achilles
    Friday - 5.9 miles solo. Slight niggle in the Achilles but by the time I was done it was gone. I wanted to keep going but knowing that I'm doing a long trail run tomorrow, I stuck to the plan. HRM freaked out and gave me an average HR that was probably 35 bpm higher than reality.

I left Kody at home tonight because I wanted him fresh for tomorrow's run. He didn't see it that way and he was not amused. He tried to nose his way out the door when I left and I had to force him back in.

I'm making good progress on my goal. Hoping for 14 trail miles tomorrow (In my new shoes!!) and 9 festive miles Sunday (I'll explain later)

I forgot to mention two other things I bought for myself as early Christmas presents. A pair of Hind wind blocking tights and I renewed my subscription to Trail Running magazine. The Hind tights are crap. I struggled to get the leg zippers unzipped and when I forced one back down, it split apart. They'll be going back. I'll never by that brand again.

Everything else I bought has arrived, except the hydration vest, and I'm happy with all but the Hind tights. The UD vest should be here tomorrow or Monday. Then I'll look like a trail running badass!

euep8f993kfl.jpeg

g9.jpeg 13.5K
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    All this talk about college football. I root hard for my Bison! North Dakota State...winners of 5 national championships in a row with a great chance to get #6 this fall!! They're ranked #2 in the nation at the moment.

@juliet3455 any time I think it's getting too cold to run outside here, I'm going to think of you and shame myself to get out there. I will be doing some indoor track running once my daughter comes home for Christmas break since she won't run outside in Minnesota winter. And I agree, -40C/-40F wind chill is definitely too cold for running. We're supposed to get down to -15F wind chill next week.

@RunsOnEspresso That's getting up there in mileage!

@NikolaosKey glad your quads are feeling better. When you first mentioned the pain I thought it was going to be a rather serious injury!

@Stoshew71 run well tomorrow!

@HeatherMN have a pint for me!

@BeeerRunner great job not only getting out in the cold, but doing so while out of town!

@virkati Congrats on the offer!! I don't put anything on Kody's paws. Was there snow on the ground when you were out? Sometimes snow will collected on the hair between the toes and be very uncomfortable. It's good trim the hair back so none is sticking out below the pads to minimize this. If that's not it, it could be he just doesn't like the cold. I'd let the dog tell you if he should be out or not be his actions. I can't recall what breed he is to know if single digits might be too cold. Labs were bred for being able to swim in freezing water so I don't get too concerned about Kody getting too cold, but I do keep an eye on him and if he seems like he's not into it like normal, it's time to take him inside.

I did just receive a product called Musher's Secret which I intend to put on his paws before tomorrows run. My main concern is keeping a barrier between him and the salt since we do a lot of running on the road, but it's supposed to be an all around good thing for dogs. I generally will run outside with Kody down to zero degrees, but just like i short runs when it gets to hot, I'll do it too when it gets too cold. Tonight was 11F, with a 2F windchill and he was fine. If it were to get to 0F with wind, I'd start cutting back the miles. It'd have to get to -15F wind chill or colder I think before I'd leave him at home because of the cold.

@patrikc333 the key is to get some thing, almost skintight gloves to put on first, then put the mittens over them. Being skin tight is much like a base compression layer. It traps a layer of air which then stays next to your skin. As sensitive as it sound like your hand are, you might consider chemical hand warmers or perhaps electric mittens.

@greenolivetree I hope the Mayo Clinic can work their magic/science for your husband!
    @bmelb1 did you enjoy the run in the snow? That's my favorite time to run.
    @RespectTheKitty If you worked out, be in inside or outside, you did NOT wimp out!

• alipsie19
    alipsie19 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Goal: 50 miles (only running counts)
    Dec 1: 2 miles@8:00min TM
    Dec 2: 2 miles@12:00min TM
    Dec 3: 6 miles@10:00min pace (actual 1:00:05)
    Dec 4: Zip - off day
    Dec 5: 2 miles@7:47min TM
    Dec 6: 1.5 miles@7:47min TM
    Dec 7: rest
    Dec 8: Zip - worked late
    Dec 9: 1 mile - actually done at 12:05 12/10
    Total: 12.5 miles
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Did my planned 7 miles yesterday as I'm off to see my folks today and wouldn't have time. Really really struggled after mile 5. All I can think is that I ran Thursday as well and I'm just not used to that. As part of the run, I got bored of the flat so ran up into the woods. I was impressed to notice that I ran at least halfway up the hill to the top. I was a bit weary as I didn't have my trail shoes on and it was muddy, but my road shoes coped fine. The other thing that probably caused me problems was pace - I think I was way too fast for the first two or three miles, but I was enjoying it!!!

Starting to think seriously about the HM (or sneaky 15m) in April. My strength training plans using Stronglifts 5x5 may be going out the window as when I last saw my sports therapist we talked about building up the muscles of my glutes and hamstrings which are weaker than they should be, and he was going to send me a training plan. So I will work on that first. Plus I'm getting used to running alone outside in the dark.
  • dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Rest and refuel day as I've been exercising a lot this last week and figured I'd give my body a chance to catch up. Went out to do 2k for the streak, but only realised when I was about 1k in that my phone app hadn't started tracking me (I normally get a pace announcement at 5 minutes!), so I only started it from then and did a further 1.97k, (and only that is counted in my stats/ticker). As was only a short run decided I could go at a decent tempo. The aim was fast enough to get sweaty, but slow enough not to fatigue me - ended up just a little slower than 10k pace in the end.

exercise.png
    1-Dec: 6.2k easy run
    2-Dec: 11.5k - 10k tempo plus warm up/cool down
    3-Dec: 2.1k TM
    4-Dec: 5.3k easy run
    5-Dec: 21.7k long run
    6-Dec: 8.3k 'tired' run
    7-Dec: 3.1k TM
    8-Dec: 5.3k easy
    9-Dec: 12.6k easy
    10-Dec: 2k short run
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    12/1- 7.04
    12/2- 4.01
    12/3- 10.01
    12/4- REST
    12/5- 5.32
    12/6- 5.01
    12/7- 3.01
    12/8- 8.04
    12/9- 5.0
    12/10- 11.0

Total: 58.43

Nominal mileage goal: 100 miles
    Real goal, get into the swing of Marathon training, and get used to doing 3 days a week of some strength/core while running 35+ MPW

Today's notes: Today's assignment was to runn 11 miles at 10:40 pace. That did not happen, I ran the 11, but pace was 10:15. In my defense, I ran faster because, well..... -5F (-20C) and WNW 3mph winds made for some chilly running. Run felt good, despite my average HR ending up at 157. it was definitely a chilly one, and by the lasr mile and half mile, I, for the first time, and to tell myself a little mantra...more miles makes a better marathon....because at that point, I was pretty well a meat Popsicle, despite not actually ever feeling cold, the temps just made for getting pretty tired.
  • lissadecker
    lissadecker Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    December goal: 100 miles
    12/1: 3.25 miles
    12/2: 2.75 miles
    12/3: 3.15 miles (m)
    12/4: Rest Day
    12/5: 5 miles (2 + 3 treadmill)
    12/6: 4 miles (m)
    12/7: 4 miles
    12/8: 4.35 miles (m)
    12/9: Rest Day
    12/10: 3.5 miles

My Total/December: 30 miles
    Mike's Total: 11.5 miles

It was a very brisk 37 degrees in Houston this morning, but my ankle was feeling better so I decided to brave the cold. I went out for a 6 and a half mile bike ride and then took Fergus for a 3 and a half mile run. I was going to go for 4+ but my ankle started feeling tight around mile 3 so I decided to cut it short just to be safe. Mike wasn't ready to brave the cold so he stayed home today. The low temps didn't really bother me too much, especially once I got moving. The only exception there is that my toes were freezing while on my bike ride. I was wearing my trail running shoes which I can't actually run in any longer cause the treads are toast. I think I need some shoes that have a little less airflow through them for my morning rides...or maybe just some thicker, warmer socks.

@7lenny7 Fergus always gets mad when I leave the house without him. Every time I sit down to put shoes on he is right there in front of me ready to go. :)

@ashcky Hope you're feeling better. Migraines are awful. I used to get them regularly and they were very debilitating. A change in medication has left me with only one or two a year for the last 7 years or so which has been a tremendous improvement. Take care of yourself! :)

@NikolaosKey Glad to hear you're back on track.

@RunsOnEspresso How exciting to be getting close to your marathon! Hope your 18m went well.

@Stoshew71 and @MobyCarp I hope your races went (are going?) well!

@kristinegift Congrats on the new wheels. My trans is slipping on my 05 Escape and I can't decide whether to fix it or just replace it. Driving something new is always such fun! :)

Have a fabulous rest of the day everyone!

Completed Races:
    12/3 Snowball Run 5K, Kingwood TX (35:34.2) *PR

Upcoming Races:
    1/22 Choco Loco 10K, Houston, TX

exercise.png
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Date:: :::: Miles :::: Dec total (goal = 80)
    12/01/16 :::: 0.0 :::: 0.0
    12/02/16 :::: 2.6 :::: 2.6
    12/03/16 :::: 3.1 :::: 5.7
    12/04/16 :::: 6.0 :::: 11.8
    12/05/16 :::: 3.3 :::: 15.0
    12/06/16 :::: 2.4 :::: 17.4
    12/07/16 :::: 2.4 :::: 19.8
    12/08/16 :::: 3.7 :::: 23.5
    12/09/16 :::: 0.0 :::: 23.5
    12/10/16 :::: 7.0 :::: 30.5

Yesterday was a rest day from running but took a long hike with Stella in the falling snow. Last night I had a fun holiday party with lots of excess eating and drinking so this morning came around a bit too quickly for my taste. I managed to drag myself out for the 8 am long run with my running group. It was chilly and snowy and I was dragging. My butt is still cold. But it's done and now I'm ready to laze around as much as I can the rest of today. which may not be as much as I want, because Stella is surely going to want some exercise in short order.
  • OSUbuckeye906
    OSUbuckeye906 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    12/1: 5 miles
    12/2: 4 miles
    12/3: 4 miles
    12/4: 11 miles
    12/5: 5 miles
    12/6: 7 miles
    12/7: rest day
    12/8: 4 miles
    12/9: rest day
    12/10: 5 miles

TOTAL: 43 miles

5 miles in 47:27 (9:30 pace) today. Went out too fast, so I slowed it down a bit the second half. It was hard to slow it down too much though since it was a little cold (12F windchill) plus I had some extra kick due to two rest days in the past 4 days and sleeping in this morning. Need to save my energy for a long run tomorrow though.
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I have a bad habit that when I quit running I quit everything. Haven't walked, stretched, rolled, "pilatesed" Nada! I need to do this stuff.

@7lenny7 thanks! It's been a long 4 months around here.....
  • MNLittleFinn
    edited December 2016
    Options
    @lissadecker good run, and smart choice cutting it short. Glad you braved the cold too!
    @katharmonic good job dragging yourself out of bed for your run. For me that's almost always half the battle
    @OSUbuckeye906 nice Run!
    @greenolivetree I know that feeling all too well. Here's to you getting out of "the funk" soon!

Looks like a bunch of us braved the cold this morning!
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    Had my first snow run today. Wore some rubber traction things over my shoes (similar to yak tracks?) that my husband got from his work as a postie and they worked perfect. We're on day two of snow and more is expected, so I might get to do it again. Since no one here owns a shovel, except for the one neighbour I stopped to chat with, the sidewalks on the main roads were the worst. Complete slush probably from the salt being splashed up. I was very slow and didn't get far, but ran by effort and it turned out to be exactly in my desired zone.

12/10: 1.66 miles

Total: 11.74 / 40
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @RunRachelRunnn nice snow run
  • NikolaosKey
    NikolaosKey Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Hello!

Goal for December: 120k

12/1: 8k
    12/2: 2.2k (warmup for strength training)
    12/5: 6.8k
    12/6: 6.8k intervals
    12/7: 2.1k (as a warmup for strength training)
    12/9: 10.2k (easy run, quad testing)
    12/10: 8.7k (intervals)

44.8/120k

Ok. Everything went well, felt a minor pain in my quad but nothing serious. Interval train today, 10 min warm-up @5:50/km followed by 6x 2min @4:25/km, then 10 min cool-down @6:04/km. Feels great. @lissadecker @7lenny7 tnx for the support!!

Races:
    12/18: Tour of Drama 10k
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @NikolaosKey nice run, glad it went well!
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    Ended up taking 2 ray days as I was a bit under the weather Thursday and did a long ride yesterday. Still, the weather was great this AM so ended up going for a nice cool 12 mile run with some faster miles at the end. Going to do another long one tomorrow as I'm feeling better.

12/2 - 7 miles
    12/3 - 5 miles
    12/4 - 4 miles (warmup + 5K race)
    12/6 - 7 miles
    12/7 - 4 miles
    12/10 - 12 miles

Total: 39 miles
    Goal: 180 miles
    Remaining: 153 miles

2016 Race Schedule:
    Disney Marathon - Jan 6 - 3:29:09
    Gasparilla 15K - Feb 20 - 1:01:59
    Ironman 70.3 Florida - Apr 10 - 5:07:51
    Pittsburgh Marathon - May 1 - 3:08:25
    Ironman 70.3 Augusta - Sep 25 - 4:43:56
    Chicago Marathon - Oct 9 - 3:04:57
    Ironman Florida - Nov 5 - 10:21:27 (3:38:20 marathon time)
    Chase the Dreidel 5K - Dec 4 - 18:13
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    @Stoshew71 - Looks like the weather wasn't cooperating for today. If you want to give a late January Marathon a shot, welcome to bring the family/crash at my place on the beach in January if you want to give the Clearwater Distance Classic marathon a try (as allegiant & southwest have cheap flights into tpa/Clearwater-PIE).

@patrikc333 - not really sure there is an equivalent distance for running and cycling, as I can go out for a 5 hour century ride at 20mph/135 heart rate and ride again the next day, whereas if I run 20 miles in 3 hours at the same 135bpm heart rate, I'll be destroyed for a few days. I'd just stick with equivalent times and intensities for now, and if you want to build up speed, just go harder (either via intervals, or 30 min time trials) every 3rd day.
  • Strandbergm
    Strandbergm Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Update: 14/50 miles complete

20 days left in the month after today. Is everyone on pace for their goal?