lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Dnarules wrote: »
    zyxst wrote: »
    wanzik wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I said personally... what works for me might work for others. And I don't look up the ingredients for natural foods i.e. fruits.

I'm with you. What you've seen is why I wouldn't get into trying to define "processed" or "overly processed" foods earlier - everyone knows what you mean but some come with off the wall nonsense to try and discredit what you say. It's up to each of us to read through all the condescension and sarcasm to find what works for each of us. In the end we all make our own decisions anyway.

It would be great if everyone did have a solid, logic driven thought process as to what foods they wanted to consume and which they felt were better to cut out in order to maximize their individual results. Unfortunately, that's not always the case. The plethora of misinformation available to people today, combined with the click bait headlines like " 5 Foods You Must Never Eat IF You Want To Lose Weight" means that people often are deluded into thinking that they HAVE to restrict something in order to be successful. Demonstrating that this is not the case, by digging into the vague and unhelpful designation of "processed" can often be an aha moment for so many people who were led to believe that in fact, anything in a package is bad, even if that package contains a precut salad blend, or a dozen eggs, or rice, or Greek yogurt. All of those things could be beneficial components to many diets and yet rules such as "no processed foods" or may lead some to feel they truly shouldn't consume them.

I'd love to live in a MFP world where when people say "everyone knows what we mean when we say processed" was actually true, and that people didn't get confused by that classification, but it just isn't happening yet. And until it does, I'm going to continue to use those extreme examples to point out just how meaningless a term is if not everyone has the same definition.

When has a banana ever been considered or referred to as a "processed" food? Never. :smirk:

Possibly when humanity modified it so much that what you buy in the store doesn't exist in nature.

I don't think this makes it processed.

No, but I enjoy a banana cooked sometimes (really, it's good as a side or on ice cream), and that's processed.

So is most everything else I'm eating it with, since I cook most of my food, buy frozen fruits and veg sometimes, buy dairy, even buy bagged greens sometimes.

This idea that "processed"=bad or high cal or non nutritious or some such is unhelpful.

Anyway, Wino wasn't saying bananas were processed, she was using those "bananas make you fat" nonsense things as an example of bad information that dieters are blanketed with leading to the idea that they need a list of foods to cut out.

Personally, as I said upthread (I think, maybe in some other thread lately), I don't eat much that would be called "ultraprocessed" and if I do I read the package and decide if I like the ingredients/calories/macros or not, and think others should apply similar thought. But being "processed" saying NOTHING about how nutritious (or healthful) something is or whether it fits in someone's way of eating/goals/day.

I was actually only commenting on the genetic modification part. I am completely uninterested in this whole "define processed" thing. But I found that part interesting.

The modification of the banana is not the same thing as GMOs, though, and of course it has been modified over time by humans, so the idea that humans changing stuff (the anti-processing argument) makes something bad would also apply to bananas. (I'd also agree with various posters that doesn't make it processed as we normally use the term and that keeping GMO talk out of this thread is a good thing.)

I think you are confusing me with someone else. I do not feel today's bananas are processed because they've been bred by humans. That's all I said. In fact I was among the first to say I didn't think it made them processed.

I'm also not the one who started it. I never said gmo. I said genetic modification in reference to zysts post. Not sure why that warrants this.

I wasn't saying you said they were or weren't. That was just me agreeing with a particular statement.

Someone else mentioned GMO.

You seem to think I'm arguing with you when I wasn't -- I was responding (not the same thing as arguing) to what you said and also using the post to respond more broadly to the overall discussion.
  • WatchJoshLift
    WatchJoshLift Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »
    Run_Fit wrote: »
    A fresh banana isn't "processed" -- It is raw. I think of "processed" as refined, preserved, and/or cooked. Gerber banana baby food has been processed.

It's been processed with processed bananas bought in the grocery store. You have to go to a factory in southeast Asia if you want a fresh banana.

It might be ripened. But fresh raw banana is not "processed".

Did you get it in Southeast Asia? No, lol, I'm being facetious.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    A fresh banana isn't "processed" -- It is raw. I think of "processed" as refined, preserved, and/or cooked. Gerber banana baby food has been processed.

It's been processed with processed bananas bought in the grocery store. You have to go to a factory in southeast Asia if you want a fresh banana.

OK, if this is what zyst (sp) originally meant, then I misunderstood. I thought she was saying it was because we bred them to be different, not because they need to be processed to end up in the store.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

WinoGelato was not saying that they were (as it is her post that provoked this sidetrack).

However, as I said above:

(1) I often cook bananas, so those are processed.

(2) As others noted, the banana has been modified over time by humans, so the idea that humans changing stuff (the anti-processing argument) makes something bad would also apply to bananas.

(And I'd also agree with various posters that doesn't make it processed as we normally use the term, but it does make it relevant to the assertion that processed=bad.)
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    Natural selection to create a larger fruit (ex. Apples, etc) is not the same as processing or cooking foods.
  • Dnarules
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    I said personally... what works for me might work for others. And I don't look up the ingredients for natural foods i.e. fruits.

I'm with you. What you've seen is why I wouldn't get into trying to define "processed" or "overly processed" foods earlier - everyone knows what you mean but some come with off the wall nonsense to try and discredit what you say. It's up to each of us to read through all the condescension and sarcasm to find what works for each of us. In the end we all make our own decisions anyway.

It would be great if everyone did have a solid, logic driven thought process as to what foods they wanted to consume and which they felt were better to cut out in order to maximize their individual results. Unfortunately, that's not always the case. The plethora of misinformation available to people today, combined with the click bait headlines like " 5 Foods You Must Never Eat IF You Want To Lose Weight" means that people often are deluded into thinking that they HAVE to restrict something in order to be successful. Demonstrating that this is not the case, by digging into the vague and unhelpful designation of "processed" can often be an aha moment for so many people who were led to believe that in fact, anything in a package is bad, even if that package contains a precut salad blend, or a dozen eggs, or rice, or Greek yogurt. All of those things could be beneficial components to many diets and yet rules such as "no processed foods" or may lead some to feel they truly shouldn't consume them.

I'd love to live in a MFP world where when people say "everyone knows what we mean when we say processed" was actually true, and that people didn't get confused by that classification, but it just isn't happening yet. And until it does, I'm going to continue to use those extreme examples to point out just how meaningless a term is if not everyone has the same definition.

When has a banana ever been considered or referred to as a "processed" food? Never. :smirk:

Possibly when humanity modified it so much that what you buy in the store doesn't exist in nature.

I don't think this makes it processed.

No, but I enjoy a banana cooked sometimes (really, it's good as a side or on ice cream), and that's processed.

So is most everything else I'm eating it with, since I cook most of my food, buy frozen fruits and veg sometimes, buy dairy, even buy bagged greens sometimes.

This idea that "processed"=bad or high cal or non nutritious or some such is unhelpful.

Anyway, Wino wasn't saying bananas were processed, she was using those "bananas make you fat" nonsense things as an example of bad information that dieters are blanketed with leading to the idea that they need a list of foods to cut out.

Personally, as I said upthread (I think, maybe in some other thread lately), I don't eat much that would be called "ultraprocessed" and if I do I read the package and decide if I like the ingredients/calories/macros or not, and think others should apply similar thought. But being "processed" saying NOTHING about how nutritious (or healthful) something is or whether it fits in someone's way of eating/goals/day.

I was actually only commenting on the genetic modification part. I am completely uninterested in this whole "define processed" thing. But I found that part interesting.

The modification of the banana is not the same thing as GMOs, though, and of course it has been modified over time by humans, so the idea that humans changing stuff (the anti-processing argument) makes something bad would also apply to bananas. (I'd also agree with various posters that doesn't make it processed as we normally use the term and that keeping GMO talk out of this thread is a good thing.)

I think you are confusing me with someone else. I do not feel today's bananas are processed because they've been bred by humans. That's all I said. In fact I was among the first to say I didn't think it made them processed.

I'm also not the one who started it. I never said gmo. I said genetic modification in reference to zysts post. Not sure why that warrants this.

I wasn't saying you said they were or weren't. That was just me agreeing with a particular statement.

Someone else mentioned GMO.

You seem to think I'm arguing with you when I wasn't -- I was responding (not the same thing as arguing) to what you said and also using the post to respond more broadly to the overall discussion.

My apologies, then.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

Or Queensland if you live in Australia :wink:
  • WatchJoshLift
    Options

Or Queensland if you live in Australia :wink:

That's true, that's true. :smiley:
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

WinoGelato was not saying that they were (as it is her post that provoked this sidetrack).

(2) As others noted, the banana has been modified over time by humans, so the idea that humans changing stuff (the anti-processing argument) makes something bad would also apply to bananas.

(And I'd also agree with various posters that doesn't make it processed as we normally use the term, but it does make it relevant to the assertion that processed=bad.)

Actually for the record I didn't bring up bananas and am not sure how any stance on bananas is being attributed to me. I can't stand bananas!

The first mention I saw of bananas in this thread was the infographic someone else posted about the chemical makeup of a banana, and then in a response quoting me wanzik made a comment that calling a banana processed is silly, or something like that.
  • WatchJoshLift
    Options

Actually for the record I didn't bring up bananas and am not sure how any stance on bananas is being attributed to me. I can't stand bananas!

The first mention I saw of bananas in this thread was the infographic someone else posted about the chemical makeup of a banana, and then in a response quoting me wanzik made a comment that calling a banana processed is silly, or something like that.

I bet if you had a fresh banana from southeast Asia, you would love it!
  • wanzik
    wanzik Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    This whole processed ... overly processed thread has gone GMO bananas!!

I'm going on the Hamburger Helper diet! "I don't know why they call it Hamburger Helper... it does just fine on it's own." Cousin Eddie - Vacation.
  • Dnarules
    Options

Yes, wanzik started the banana thing. The post that started all this was from zyxst.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    83c87d40f0a902f1926e08d8d26542d6.gif
  • wanzik
    wanzik Posts: 326 Member
    Options

Yes, wanzik started the banana thing. The post that started all this was from zyxst.

I didn't start the banana thing either. But it doesn't matter...
  • joolieb1
    joolieb1 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I agree that being calorie deficient will lose weight but so many times, just that, has worked to a point, then I am stuck. I have had to give up junk because I eat compulsively, a little chocolate, one packet of crisps and I lose control. While tracking all calories, I have now given up bread and I eat more of what is filling and healthy as a replacement. Pounds are dropping off and I feel less bloated
  • onsickmom
    onsickmom Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I said YAM....Not HAM....Lol gotta love spell check
  • onsickmom
    onsickmom Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    @kimmy72mfp I love nuts too...I switched to the bulk ones at whole foods they are just plain raw nuts no salt added..Yes I must eat in moderation..I hear you on how fast they add up..I was slamming down A TON of roasted salted sunflower seeds..OH MY....Good observation.....
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I have a huge bag of salted cashews sitting in my cupboard that I'm too scared to open...
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Where can I buy me a banana that doesn't have any nasty sugar in it?
  • Dnarules
    Options
    I have a huge bag of salted cashews sitting in my cupboard that I'm too scared to open...

I can't do cashews in moderation (or honey roasted peanuts or cashews, for that matter).