WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2017

Options

Replies

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,257 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    La cruiser - I used to eat all my exercise calories back and was successful in losing 57 lbs that way. Now I am within a couple of pounds of maintenance the calculation is a bit off, so if I want to lose I have to leave a small margin of 100-150 . I exercise 600 a day, calculated by my machines.

Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,361 Member
    Options
    This group is "the bomb"! Love hearing the news from all over the world, really.

Penny - your report about the midnight sun was fascinating.

And all of you being faithful to your exercise routines.... good for you! The county roads here are still packed snow and ice in places - our little private road has about 4" on it still (and slippery where it is packed down). I walked up and down it twice on Wednesday and got over 6,000 steps. Hit Walmart this morning but am still way under my regular goal of 6,000 per day.

Warm monsoon rain will hit our area this week to melt the snow and flood the roads - keeping the road crews busy.

I spent most of yesterday Marathon watching Netflix and Amazon Fire videos: Sick, Fat & Nearly Dead 1 & 2 (Joe Cross is so good), from Fat to Finish Line, Hungry for Change, Food Matters plus want to see a couple others about nutrition and weight loss and how the food industry sneaks sugar into so many processed foods.

I'm not a vegetarian but meat doesn't seem a good as it did when I was a kid so I tend more toward bean meals.

I'm not a "juicer" but the information is inspiring nonetheless. I need to pull the Nutribullet off the shelf and get going on veggie smoothies again. I was pretty faithful several years ago but had a dismal Kale crop thanks to cabbage worms and lost interest -it was either spend ten minutes picking off worms off my own organic stuff or paying a lot of $$ for organic at the store or farmer's market.

I really like kale braised in a little olive oil - will try growing it again this year, keeping it under row cover which should protect it from those white moths.

That's the latest.

Have a great rest of the weekend!

Lanette
    SW Washington State
  • Charleen2
    Charleen2 Posts: 223 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Rori - Happy Birthday!! I declare it a guilt free day for you on MFP.
    vc5l22np4le4.gif

It is so hard to see our loved one slowing fading away, yet there they are in plain sight. Hugs to you birthday sister.

Charleen in Colorado (What! Snow again!)
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,577 Member
    Options
  • Charleen2
    Charleen2 Posts: 223 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Allie - Tom has not been generous, or even fair to you in a very, very long time. Why would he suddenly offer you a 'fair' distribution of your marital belongings and split money that he owes you fairly? Do you really think he is looking out for you??

I concur that another set of eyes need to look at this distribution. I smell a big, fat rat.

If both houses were sold, you got half of his 401k and half of anything else you would likely have enough in hand to buy yourself a small condo in Florida and put by enough to live modestly.

Don't forget, you do get half of his Social Security and he can not stop you. Social Security will handle all of it once the divorce papers were finalized and there is no need to even mention it to him. By law it is yours! So begin to think about your future needs and I bet you have more money than you are expecting.

Charleen in Colorado
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Joyce: I'm sorry that you've lost a valued friend. :broken_heart:

msfanglet: If you have pedals that will fit under your desk, using them is bound to burn calories. Neat idea. Can you adjust the level of pressure it takes to pedal? :huh:

Pip: Great pic of Kirby. :bigsmile:

Gloria in WA: I think smaller clothes are one of the best possible NSVs. They prove that you're making progress. WTG!!! :bigsmile:

Sherry: Congrats on doing a mile! WTG!!! :flowerforyou:

Sharon in Lethbridge: Sugar is not so good but the right kind of chocolate is a bona fide health food unless you have allergies. I have individually wrapped 50 calorie pieces of dark chocolate from Endangered Species. I usually limit myself to 1 a day. I get them from Amazon. :wink:

Allie: (((HUGS))) :heart:

Barbie: Happy Anniversary!!! :star::flowerforyou: :star:

Heather: Give my sincere sympathy to your DH. The loss of a friend is very hard. :heart:

Rori: I'm sorry that your DH is slipping. I have no advice beyond live one day at a time. I love the Reiki principles that you shared. :heart:

lacruiser2016: I eat part of my exercise calories back, but not all of them. I also exercise more to earn extra calories. I have used this strategy from the beginning and still do although I'm working on maintaining now. :smiley:

Lanette in WA: We're just across the Columbia River from Washington and have a glorious sunny day, cold temperatures and snow on the ground. My weather app says is 32 F but my window thermometer reads colder than that. We are in a townhouse that looks east and is on the north side of the building so our walkway is shaded. :smiley:

No riding lesson this week due to cold temperatures and snow. I hope next week is more conducive to riding, but I'm happy not to be out there in the freezing cold this weekend. I will take myself out into the garage and ride the bike to burn some calories. :bigsmile:

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

Tibetan proverb: "The secret to living well and long is: Eat half, walk double, laugh triple and love without measure..."

January 2017 Resolutions:

1: Log every bite and swallow;
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on strength and stamina.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least 3 glasses of water a day.
    5. Monitor sleep. Average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,727 Member
    Options
    Charleen~
    he isn't collecting Social security yet.. he wont start drawing on that for a couple more years..
    and I understand what you all are saying.. I want what us best for me also..
    he really wants the house in Florida and I have no problem with that.. but I also want to get my fair share of 20 yrs of accumulation of other assets.. yes 401k,investments and homes...
    I am glad we talked but I dont want to get bum rushed either...
    If I do retain a lawyer ..I would like all to go smoothly- it was not easy the last time and that was 20 yrs ago..
    We are in Connecticut and I have at least another 13 yrs to work before I can collect Social Security...If he wants the place in Florida so bad he will have to work for it..
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Mia, the bags are gorgeous, great job.

Janetr okc
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,577 Member
    Options
    Charleen2 wrote: »
    Allie - Tom has not been generous, or even fair to you in a very, very long time. Why would he suddenly offer you a 'fair' distribution of your marital belongings and split money that he owes you fairly? Do you really think he is looking out for you??

I concur that another set of eyes need to look at this distribution. I smell a big, fat rat.

If both houses were sold, you got half of his 401k and half of anything else you would likely have enough in hand to buy yourself a small condo in Florida and put by enough to live modestly.

Don't forget, you do get half of his Social Security and he can not stop you. Social Security will handle all of it once the divorce papers were finalized and there is no need to even mention it to him. By law it is yours! So begin to think about your future needs and I bet you have more money than you are expecting.

Charleen in Colorado

well said,
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Allie - take care of you, first and foremost - you're getting some great advice.

Rori - happy birthday, and many hugs.

Mia - happy to see you still creating....

Lisa in rainy, chilly West Texas
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Now, a question about mfp and calories gained from exercise. What do y'all do with these calories? Do you eat them all back? None? A portion? I think the exercise calorie estimates run a little high, so sometimes adjust them downwards by manipulating time, etc. I have my profile setting at "Sedentary", which gives me a 1200 calorie base per day, which goes by REALLY fast. Would love to know how you all handle this -- especially you that are working out on a regular basis.

1. Every person is different be as accurate as you can on your profile and activity level
    2. Use scale to weigh all food
    3. Log everything
    4. Make sure your calorie intake is correct
    5. Experiment eating calories back to see if you lose at the rate you set up on MFP

If you set it to lose 2 lbs a week that is a 1000 calorie / day deficit either accomplished by restricting what you eat, exercising or a combination. A moderately active woman burns 1800-2000 calories a day. So, at 1200 calories you have approximately 600-800 calorie deficit. 3500 calories in a pound. Without exercising you should lose 4200-5600calories in your deficit. That is 1- 1 1/2 lbs/week. Notice that to lose 2 lbs / week you need 200-400 exercise calories burned/day that you can't eat back! Anything over that you can.

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Mia- I'm glad that you have such an awesome machine to create with!
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,357 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm cleaning out some of my DVD's (about time, huh? But really need to clean more, just haven't had time). Right now I'd be willing to sell to someone for the cost of the postage (which in the US is usually around $2.60-$2.70)

Jillian Michaels Hard Body
    the Firm Ignite Calorie Burn
    the Firm Cardio Overdrive

I also have "Fit in Six" which is for the Wii. Basically, there are multiple workouts working on six different aspects of exercise -- cardio, balance, upper body, lower body, strength, core, and flexibility. Each of the workouts vary in length.

PM me if you are interested in any of these.

Michele in NC
  • clarebare60
    clarebare60 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    LAcruiser Yes I have a spare room. I live in the city part-time and we have a 3 bedroom apt. Its tight but very doable. It’s a 10 min river taxi to the tennis center. You are most welcome.

Katia49 I should have included anyone/any place who is passionate. You’re right many gyms and fitness centers have yoga. Anyway you can learn alignment is great.

Marni in Alaska My son loved Alaska. He came with us on our fishing trip to Valdez and fell in love with it much like I did. I'll send a pic of him with a 104 lb halibut he caught if you're ok with it. I was going to post it here but its a bit bloody and may be upsetting for some. Love the baby pics.

Sharon in Lethbridge Thanks for the encouragement. It isn’t a small thing I agree but I don’t want to become my illness. I’m sick (I don’t feel sick at all by the way) I will get better. I also know that these challenges are times of growth. If I wallow in it too much I’ll forget the growth part. I appreciate your concern and sentiment. I’ll try not to be hard on myself as I grow. Self-kindness is tough sometimes.

Poerava14 I love the card your Reiki trainer sent you:
    * Today I choose to be Free of Worry
    * Today I choose to be Free of Anger or Impatience
    * Today I choose to live with Gratitude and Love
    * Today I choose to be Kind and Compassionate toward all, including myself
    * Today I choose to Live and Work in Integrity and be of Service

It really resonated with me. I love you ‘inhale’ these mantras.

Miakoda40 Love the darling pouches. Are you thinking of making them commercially available? Please keep us posted.

Heather UK So agree about the usefulness of this thread.

I too want to express my heart felt sadness for those who are struggling and who have had recent loss. Life isn’t for wimps that’s for sure. Please know I am including you in my open heart meditation and sending loving comforting energy to you to help ease your burden.

My boys arrive in just a couple of hours. Its been 8 months since I’ve hugged my youngest and 4 ½ since I hugged my oldest so I’m excited and distracted. I’ll reread the past couple of days and will get caught up soon. I included a recent photo as my profile. No makeup no hair colour just me...

Love to all

Christy in Melbourne
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,060 Member
    Options
    Rori meant to say Happy Birthday :flowerforyou: