WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2017

Options

Replies

• IremiaRe
    IremiaRe Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Hello Magnificent Maids!

Well, I got a voice mail from my Doc’s office – but so far, no love on getting back with them to find out what their “suggestions” are for my knee pain. If they tell me to take an ibuprofen, I will probably go postal on them – so, I really hope it’s a little more deep than that. I was trying to walk normally, earlier – and it feels like something is catching inside – so... it definitely needs more than an anti-inflammatory.

I went to the dentist for my quarterly cleaning today... everyone was very complimentary – and my Dentist said she actually had to go look at the chart to see who I was, since she didn’t recognize me. I got a similar response in the office, today... The gal who first interviewed me at the bank for a position on her team had to ask if it was me.

After my cleaning, I stopped in at the gym to do some abdominals – and I weighed myself on that stupid digital scale... Not surprisingly – my weight read a whole lot differently today... I KNEW there was a reason why I never change my weight until I get the same number (or lower) two times running. Today – instead of 211 and change, I got 214 and change. Because I never really believed 212, anyway, I went ahead and changed my ticker upward... something I seldom do. I just think 215 is a way more accurate number than 212 was... *sigh* Of course, I put my starting weight down at 212 for the Summer Challenge... so, I am starting out three pounds behind. :/ Oh well... I guess I will just have to work harder.

I certainly hope I have as much success with swimming here, as I did while I was at my Mom’s this fall. If I do, it should be a snap to dump those three ghost pounds during the next 24 weeks – in addition to the originally scheduled 24. Can’t wait for my new cover-up suit to get here!

I have had a busy day, so, I am not able to speak to all of you... sorry ladies. I will try to do better, tomorrow. Darn that pesky employer – expecting me to actually Work!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nancy – Be nice to your knees... trust me on this. :/

Marni
    – Hope your back relaxes, soon.

Lois
    – Fingers crossed! I know it helps burn those pesky calories... Gratz on the suit fitting!

Beth
    – I am with you – greatly reduced PROCESSED carb intake... but eating plant-based carbs. I feel no guilt about my potato soup. Sorry about the Personal Care Aid situation. ((Hugs!))

Lenora – hope you have better luck not finding yours than I had with mine... *grumbles* Stupid digital scale!

Sherry – (Hugs!) You do whatever you need to do. I couldn’t have a gun – cause I am such a klutz I would shoot my own foot off... lol. Glad to hear you are a pro. Hope you find a great little dog AND that he gets to play with Missy!

NYKaren
    – Thanks! I know that once I get into the groove, it will all be fine. I am just not a huge fan of change. And speaking of change... I think I may be experiencing that, myself. No visits from the Aunt since October and some suspiciously warm moments in the evenings... hmmm.

Lisa
    – AWESOME! Smoking is so bad for you. I quit (after several aborted attempts) some years ago... I decided that being morbidly obese, being on birth control AND smoking was just skirting a little too close to suicide for me. Stay Strong!

Sarah
    – Potatoes, Cauliflower, mild green chilis, bacon, ham and sharp cheddar cheese... what’s not to love? Of course – it’s 400 calories for a 2 cup serving – but I can live with that. It’s awesome. I love the Intermittent Fasting, too. It’s greatness.

Kelly – Where in TX will you be? I am sure I am not the only Texas gal who would love to meet you!

Barbie – I take 6000 IU – mostly just so I can process the calcium I am taking.... so I can process the protein I am eating... LOL. It seems to be working, though. I know some folks are taking a lot more.

Kate – Weird for loving the treadmill? No. Weird for listening to Meatloaf? Maybe... LOL. Seriously – I like some of his stuff – but not all.

Allie – Glad to hear the place is saleable. If you are going to live with your Dad, then go for it!

Rita – ((HUGS!!))

Katla – I always drive ‘em til they die... A paid off car is a beautiful thing.

Sue – Thanks for the tip on hydrating!

Janet – Awesome nails! And how exciting for your niece.

Heather – No offense taken... I have had my share of travelling with loud Americans... LOL.

Michele
    – Our city parks and recs dept offers all sorts of classes – but the times and days don’t work – so I will just be doing laps, to start. The suit I ordered is chlorine resistant, too. Figured I had better – since I only ever swim in chlorinated pools.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, Ladies - another broadcast day has come to a close.... Leftover potato soup, tonight. It was delicious! Can’t wait to eat more for dinner.

See y’all tomorrow!

Hugs for Everybody!

Re in TX
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,356 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Hi all! Internet too slow to post my pic. :(

Had a great swim in the pool in my cover-all costume. I'm going to wear it tomorrow when we go to the biosphere reserve as we get to have a chance to swim through the water channels. Feel better being all covered up. Should see some wildlife.

We got a taxi into town for our meal at a real, old fashioned Mexican place. A real institution. Great food! But HUGE portions! We shared a plate of nepales - cactus leaves - with avocado. I had fish with masses of garlic, yummy, and DH had veal steak, guacamole, refried beans, fajitas etc etc. Poof! Then we wandered around town until my hip protested and got a taxi home. There was live Cuban music at the restaurant. :D

Love to all, Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options
    IremiaRe wrote: »
    I went to the dentist for my quarterly cleaning today... everyone was very complimentary – and my Dentist said she actually had to go look at the chart to see who I was, since she didn’t recognize me. I got a similar response in the office, today... The gal who first interviewed me at the bank for a position on her team had to ask if it was me.

Re in TX

469367makfzcur9b.gif The responses from others to the "new you" are infinitely more significant than modest fluctuations on the scale...you are making amazing progress on your journey.

• AKcanookie
    AKcanookie Posts: 230 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Busy group = good group! Evening from Alaska ladies.

-20F this morning. My 4 weenie dogs just looked at me when I opened the door for them to do their business like “You have got to be kidding me?!” Luckily everyone is wee-wee pad trained. Their paws are freezing as soon as they hit the snow/ice and they come in walking like doggie-drunks (tried booties, it was a total failure).

Vit D
    - taking 2000 units daily + calcium. After breaking my left foot tripping over the weenies on a walk last summer I found out I had osteoarthritis. A hysterectomy in late 2009 to remove 3 baseball sized fibroid tumors, after bleeding for 300 days and very anemic, threw me into instant menopause despite them leaving me one (non functioning) ovary. Looks like I’ve had bone loss occurring since then. Never offered HRT or recommendations for supplements. I’ve tried to talk to my doc about a bone scan but she ignores me - I’m actively looking for a new GP. She’s not much help regarding my type2 diabetes either - just keeps upping my insulin. At this rate I’ll be dead in 2 yrs. The nearest appt with the local endocrinologist is a year out - I work for one but she won’t see me. There are only 2 of them in State. So I’m looking into visiting a friend in Seattle and seeing an endo there instead. Currently taking Wellbutin for clinical depression for the winter but I’m often left feeling hopeless and on the verge of giving up.

Mini Bio
    Grief
    - having a hard time recently, missing my mum who passed away Sept 30 2014. Many days I go into work, still, and go to pick up the phone to call her first thing in the morning only to set it back in the cradle knowing she’s not there at the other end. She was not just my mom, but my best friend, and hero. She had me promise to scatter her ashes on a mountainside/stream here in Alaska after she passed, which DH and I will do this summer. I went back and forth from Alaska to Canada for 8 years caring for her as she slowly slipped away from complications of diabetes; heart attacks, multiple strokes, heart surgeries, leg amputation, stage 4 heart and kidney disease, and finally vascular dementia. The dementia saw her lose all of her friends in the end, and she became very argumentative, beligerant and abusive verbally. But that was not my mom, it was the disease, I know too well. At the time, it didn’t lessen the heartache to know that. I neglected my own health care during those years to put all of my focus on her. Despite doing all that I could, I still carry a lot of guilt. Primarily because I did finally have to place her in a nursing care home (the best I could find) because she abused and fired every nurse we had coming into the house and I couldn’t care for her on my own anymore. She passed away 4 months later from a final massive stroke. I know time will heal - but I really miss her. She was always a bright light in my life, and rescued us from a miserable life with a physically-verbally-mentally abusive father when I was 6 yrs old. It was just us two girls until I was 35, when I moved away to Alaska to get married.

Before caring for mum, I had helped to care for her sister Doreen for 4 years. She died from acute myaloid leukemia and went from 300 lbs to 93 lbs. When it travelled to her brain I cared for her nearly 24 hrs a day for 6 months. Prior to that I cared for my elderly grandparents. Grandma lived to be 84 and my granddad went on to live to be 99. I loved their stories about growing up in England. All of my relatives are gone now with the exception of my estranged brother who disowned me when I was 25 yrs old. When mum and I no longer had any money left to lend him (we were very poor for many years after mum left my father) he told us he was ashamed of us for being poor white trash, and he turned his back on us forever.

Luckily, I have 3.very close life-long friends in Canada I stay in touch with - who keep me sane (well sort of sane). I am so grateful for them especially because I had very little social life - working 8-10 hours a day, and then caring for ailing family members every evening - with a day off being few and far between. My friends were very patient and kind! As I get older, I find it much more difficult to make friends - especially here in Alaska. The friends I’ve made through work, have all moved away. Its a very transient place with people coming and going all of the time, and so you are often left feeling very alone in a very big, and very beautiful place.

I rarely let any/many know much about me - I don't open up much - probably thinking it helps protect me from being hurt. Hopefully opening up a little I will maybe gain a little confidence .. and help along the way to losing the excess weight, and getting healthier.

NYKaren - aging is - definitely NOT - for sissies!

Sherry - my heart goes out to you. You're struggle is heartening. I too take long and short acting insulin for type2 diabetes and no one must mess with your meds! - they are so important for your health and well being.

Healthy eating everyone!

My word for 2017 is “Mindfulness” .. age 51, -28 lbs, 50 to go! 1200 cal/day
    Canadian/Niagara Falls (36 yrs), now Alaska (16 yrs) + DH + 4Dachshunds + 1parrot

Goals for 2017
    Drop 50 lbs by 2018
    Declutter my life, my closets, my mind and my house
    Exercise in a variety of ways and enjoy it
    Get outdoors and see more of my State - Alaska
    Develop the best wiener dog mushing team in the state of Alaska
    Be a better friend to my friends, including my best friend - my DH Scott

OSWxN2h.jpgOSWxm9.pngMarn/Alaska

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options
    1056287i3zmwzup2m.gifStats for today:
    19,000 steps
    158 minutes walking Sasha
    66 minutes riding the exercise bike
    20 minutes doing physical therapy exercises
    line dance class
    more progress finding our new dog

• Cindyisoutofexcuses
    Options
    Hello from NC! Looking forward to being a part of this thread. 52 year old single mom of two boys, oldest is high-functioning autistic. My boys are awesome, my job is stressful, and I've put myself last for decades. The results of my last checkup has made me (finally) give my health priority. (Pre-diabetes, cholesterol and triglycerides very high.) I'm spending more time with God and His word, and of course that helps with the stress. Trying to really make lifestyle changes. It's hard! Change is hard, but "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Adulting in general is hard for me because on the outside I'm a hard-working responsible adult, but on the inside I'm a teenage nerd who wants to eat cheeseburgers and fries and drink beer and binge-watch Firefly on Netflix.
  • sherryminchagain
    sherryminchagain Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Here's some minion memes as promised...as long as the battery in my tablet will last long enough to load and post them....

iby3c70lox7p.jpg
    rvpbadg64piz.jpg
    z91lzj8mwxiz.jpg
    a18s9ieck2uf.jpg

Ta da!!! Thanks battery, I love you, lol! Happy giggles everyone!! Am off to watch a movie I've already seen like, ummm, 12 times, lol! Have a great night!

Sherry in "Minionsville"

• GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Men lose weight faster because they have more muscle mass than women. weight-lifting-smiley-emoticon.gif

For anyone who needs a cheering up dont-be-sad-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • ljdw99
    ljdw99 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Beth, I'm sorry your husband & you suffered so long, I can't imagine it. My DH's meds include oxycodone, tramadol, Gabapentin, Baclofen plus ibuprofen & acetaminophen. I had no idea how life altering back pain can be.
    Hope you get your care aids sorted but it sounds like an ongoing issue. My father who lived near Albany was so lucky he had a great young women who cleaned, shopped took him to appointments, did his banking etc until he went into nursing home care. Wish you could find someone like Teresa!

Sarah, up until last summer I had flower & veggie gardens then decided We needed a pool, that wiped out the vegetables. We have two acres but lots of trees & the south side of the house only had so much room. I have shade gardens as well as sunny. I have to protect all my hostas because of the deer. What are you growing?

Yvonne, no scientific data on swimming & flabby skin reduction but it's been working for me. When I swam at the Y I always brought a dried fruit snack to eat on my way home.

MicheleI'm with you on water aerobics in the deep end, a great work out & so kind to my bad knee.

Marni, my DH is impressed, an Alaskan & wife of a real fisherman is a part of this forum. I hear you on the tankinis I like them because of my long torso.

Allie, I imagine your RE market is similar to ours in Ma. Which means low inventory, multiple offers & frequently selling over list price. Glad your getting a CMA by a local realtor, Zillow is fine on sold info but not very accurate & sometimes way off on current values.

Lisa, good for you! I stopped smoking my 5-8 cigs a day a year ago, when I stopped my nightly wine....they kind of went together. Sure saves money not to mention the health benefits. Yes we can!

Checked vitamin D in my Centrum Silver Women 50+, 1000 IU. Then I checked out the NIH site since I never think about vitamins other than I take one every day. Too low isn't good but too high, without any obvious symptoms, can cause pancreatic cancer & cardiovascular events.

Garden Club meeting in the AM, leaving Wayne alone for longer than I have in a while. Hope he doesn't try to do some chore to help me!

Lois, thankful, on the North Shore of Ma.
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    canookie, thanks for trusting us to share your story with us. Big hugs.

Joyce, Indiana
  • SGCFAb5320162016
    SGCFAb5320162016 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Just happened on to this forum.sounds right up my alley.love being 50+but not the bad knees joints ,arthritis and nearly nonexistent metabolism.would love to be friends
  • SGCFAb5320162016
    SGCFAb5320162016 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Just happened on to this forum.sounds right up my alley.love being 50+but not the bad knees joints ,arthritis and nearly nonexistent metabolism.would love to be friends

Sandy C in WV
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,391 Member
    Options
    canookie - so sorry about your mum

Welcome Cindy from another NC'er

Michele in NC
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,391 Member
    Options
    Re - wow! What a great compliment

Michele in NC
  • tngram2seven
    tngram2seven Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Hello MFPals,

Usually I work Th - Sun. This week I've done Mon. and Wed. shifts, too. Tired but wound up and awake way way too late. Tomorrow I am going to a monthly reunion breakfast with some of my friends from my old Y which closed in 2015. It is always good to see these people because it is the only time we are together now.

Marni - thank you for telling us about your struggles. It takes trust and bravery to open up to us.

Heather - I can just imagine how wonderful your adventure is! Keep giving us updates.

Sherry - LOVE the Minions! Thoughts of you tonight as I hope you are getting a better night's sleep.

Re - Such a great NSV!

Michelle - Happy shopping!

Lisa and other struggling with smoking - Thoughts and prayers with you. So thankful I gave up smoking after only one week when I dropped a cigarette and burned a hole in a brand new dress. (First week of college, of course.) Soooo mad at myself - I never smoked again.

I'm sure I am missing some comments I wanted to make but I find myself skimming and then posting much later.

WELCOME new comers!!! Stick around with us. We'll help encourage you if we can!

Toni in Tennessee (where it rained all day)

• GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Marni where did you get that cute weight ticker? ;)

Sherry I want to call a city/town "Still Can't Say" :D

Lois I had been thinking of you the other day and all of a sudden there you were posting! <3

Last time I had a blood draw I asked the doctor to check my D3 level - he said it was fine but I'm having it checked again by a different doctor because I was shocked that it was ok :o

I have started doing kitchen counter push ups at work when I am waiting for the toaster to pop up or the microwave ding. Next will be toe raises. why stand there when I can be doing something? :)

Janetr I'm glad you are my friend too! <3

Off to bed - big yawns here! Welcome to all the new women keep coming back! Hugs to everyone (remember one of my goals for this month is to give and gather hugs)

Love to you all,

Gloria in WA heart-plant.gif
  • AKcanookie
    AKcanookie Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Joyce - thanks, it took me a while .. hoping that taking a good look at myself and how I managed to get this weight on - will help to take it off - addressing my issues rather than swallowing the pain might be cathartic

Michele - many thanks

Toni - thanks to you too - reading and learning about all of you really helped me step up

Gloria - the tickers are from Lilyslim http://lilyslim.com/index.html you can make some really cute ones

5u0vq3qa2mu8.gif

Healthy eating everyone!

My word for 2017 is “Mindfulness” .. age 51, -28 lbs, 50 to go! 1200 cal/day
    Canadian/Niagara Falls (36 yrs), now Alaska (16 yrs) + DH + 4Dachshunds + 1parrot

Goals for 2017
    Drop 50 lbs by 2018
    Declutter my life, my closets, my mind and my house
    Exercise in a variety of ways and enjoy it
    Get outdoors and see more of my State - Alaska
    Develop the best wiener dog mushing team in the state of Alaska
    Be a better friend to my friends, including my best friend - my DH Scott

OSWxN2h.jpgOSWxm9.png
    Marni/Alaska
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Gloria- fantastic job on the office push-ups!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Re "Bat out of hell" really makes me move

Marni Hope you get your bone scan soon, could be osteoporosis

Sherry Love the Minions, you stay strong girl

Weight going up and down again this week, I should throw the scale out of the window, that bodycoach guy Joe Wicks calls it the sad step. Can't resist stepping on every day

Kat UK