Are men afraid to ask for a women's number?

Options

Replies

• bloodsy
    bloodsy Posts: 34 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    You're right I've been attending the same gym for 2 years, i'd have no clue which ones are arrogant and which aren't. Silly me....

If they haven't asked you for your number in 2 years they must be getting desperate.

• Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,837 Member
    Options
    I am generally not shy, but when it comes to a girl I like I get soopah shy. Sucks.
  • moya_bleh
    moya_bleh Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I believe with the plethora of social networks and dating sites, men just don't approach women as much anymore to get their 'digits'. Has anyone else noticed this ?

We don't have to worry about rejection these days, but also the risk of being labelled a creep/sex-pest. It isn't worth the risk.

Check out the reactions of the women at the start of this video. Why subject yourself to that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmP1ier3R30
  • ArmyMedic2016
    ArmyMedic2016 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    a fine line between being forward and creepy. I am too shy in real life to ask a lady for their details, but l find social media can take away that awkwardness
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    jtegirl1 wrote: »
    Theo166 wrote: »
    Men here tend to state, "Let's swap digits" or "do you want to Kik me."

Short answer, if he likes you, he will ask you or stalk you.

#SmallTownAmerica

Why would someone you meet in person want to Kik?

I suspect it feels safer to give out your Kik address than your phone number or even email.

Safer than what? You've met in person. I'm a female and I'm not afraid of someone having my number. If they're crazy, just block them.

you'd be surprised all the things I can find on the internet with your phone number.

Maybe I just have good judgement then. I've never had an issue when giving a guy my number. Plus, I'm not crazy, so guys don't need to worry about me doing anything with their numbers.

How many complete strangers have you given your number to?

I'm not talking about someone you've seen around for some time, or had a long conversation with. I think kik allows you to get to know them a bit better before upping the connection.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options

#SmallTownAmerica

I suspect it feels safer to give out your Kik address than your phone number or even email.

Safer than what? You've met in person. I'm a female and I'm not afraid of someone having my number. If they're crazy, just block them.

you'd be surprised all the things I can find on the internet with your phone number.

Maybe I just have good judgement then. I've never had an issue when giving a guy my number. Plus, I'm not crazy, so guys don't need to worry about me doing anything with their numbers.

I'm not talking about someone you've seen around for some time, or had a long conversation with. I think kik allows you to get to know them a bit better before upping the connection.

I don't give my number out to every Joe schmoe I meet, but I've given it out to a couple guys that I met out at a bar. They were complete strangers before we talked and decided we liked each other enough to want to go out on a date. If they'd asked to Kik I would have declined a date. I'm also old enough to remember what real dating is. A guy asks you out, you say yes, and he picks you up at your place and takes you out. Online dating, social media and the internet has completely ruined dating.

Just as I thought, you aren't giving your number to complete strangers. It's very different asking/giving digits with someone you've had a connection with.
  • Cerealsensei
    Cerealsensei Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options

#SmallTownAmerica

I don't give my number out to every Joe schmoe I meet, but I've given it out to a couple guys that I met out at a bar. They were complete strangers before we talked and decided we liked each other enough to want to go out on a date. If they'd asked to Kik I would have declined a date. I'm also old enough to remember what real dating is. A guy asks you out, you say yes, and he picks you up at your place and takes you out. Online dating, social media and the internet has completely ruined dating.

Just as I thought, you aren't giving your number to complete strangers. It's very different asking/giving digits with someone you've had a connection with.

If someone in real life walked up to me and asked me to Kik, Skype or use any app for talking, I'd say no.

people ask to Kik? lol
  • nolan44219
    nolan44219 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    LL5lifts wrote: »
    I get ladies numbers all day everyday but I never call any of them.

you know, I'm not really sure how reliable those "for a good time call" numbers on the mens bathroom walls really are.

Lol one of my friends called one once. The girl that answered was not pleased and did not offer him what sounded like a good time. Well I guess unless you are into what she told him to do to himself.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,503 Member
    Options

#SmallTownAmerica

Hi !
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »

#SmallTownAmerica

Hi !
    Motorsheen wrote: »

#SmallTownAmerica

Hi !

Friday night at 7:00 sound good? ;)

for you?

... just name the time and the place
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I find that mostly weird dudes have the confidence/gall to ask for my number. Kind of annoying.

I met someone on New Years eve and was shocked. It was the first time I have organically met someone I like in real life and not online in a very long time.
  • CaptainAmericaGirlYASSS
    CaptainAmericaGirlYASSS Posts: 811 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I was like in middle school the last time anyone asked for my number , and I think he didn't even ask me directly- he asked my bff and then texted me 'Hey I got your number from so&so, what's up?' LMAO!
  • bbell1985
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    I find that mostly weird dudes have the confidence/gall to ask for my number. Kind of annoying.

I met someone on New Years eve and was shocked. It was the first time I have organically met someone I like in real life and not online in a very long time.

I had a guy in K-Mart last summer make conversation with me while we waited in line. Attractive, my age, and specifically started a convo with me. He even took his time putting his receipt away like he was waiting for me to get done checking out, but then he left. :( I felt like I was being punk'd. It's so odd for that to happen anymore. Now every time I go in there I look for my mystery man.

I know. I've had that happen as well...like, wow this is going so well. He's so cute. K, bye.

• bbell1985
    Options

I had a guy in K-Mart last summer make conversation with me while we waited in line. Attractive, my age, and specifically started a convo with me. He even took his time putting his receipt away like he was waiting for me to get done checking out, but then he left. :( I felt like I was being punk'd. It's so odd for that to happen anymore. Now every time I go in there I look for my mystery man.

I know. I've had that happen as well...like, wow this is going so well. He's so cute. K, bye.

It was so odd and sad.

Write a Missed Connection on craigslist. If anything you can have fun reading responses :)
  • Cerealsensei
    Cerealsensei Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I for one didn't know Kmart's still existed
  • Motorsheen
    edited January 2017
    Options

that's because there is a big jump between small talk in a check-out line to something further.

what would you wanted for him to say?
  • jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    I believe with the plethora of social networks and dating sites, men just don't approach women as much anymore to get their 'digits'. Has anyone else noticed this ?

You mean like, 36-24-34? Those digits?