Non friendly females in the gym.

Options

Replies

• davidtcharron
    davidtcharron Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I will say hi or whatever on occasion but im not there to chit chat.
  • s3rialthrill3r
    s3rialthrill3r Posts: 49 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    By the sounds of many people here, it seems that the world is a much colder place than it used to be.
  • LittleLionHeart1
    LittleLionHeart1 Posts: 3,655 Member
    Options
    A simple hello is no problem. I do that everywhere I go. :) But I imagine that if I went to the gym again to workout, instead of going on my machine and lifting at home, I would say hi there too. Be pleasant. Try my best not to fart in your direction. :D But I would not have time for chit chatting there. And that chit chatting at the gym would be a distraction from me getting my job done at the gym. I'm one of those people who do better without a "gym partner" because I've tried that before. They flake, be late, make excuses. I don't. And then I would need to hightail it outta there, to get some other things done for the day.
  • Kerriecandothis
    Kerriecandothis Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    At my gym I have become friends with several people, others I just say good morning or hi or whatever. The old guys like to chat a while and the women sometimes as for advice or offer it. Some just smile in recognition. Very few people don't talk at all. But then I live in arguably the friendliest place in the UK lol.
  • Reaverie
    Reaverie Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Most are probably gun shy as others have pointed out due to pushy males. Others are just cuunts. But some may be just shy, self conscious, or just plain unobservant. I am. I have been called rude, a total B, ant my sister in law called me a cuunt once because apparently someone had been talking to me and I NEVER NOTICED! I swear I do not have the "female" gene that allows us to multitask. I get too focused and tune out the world. You have to stand in front of me and snap your fingers in my face.
  • UltimateTrashBae
    UltimateTrashBae Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I don't like to chat with people at the gym. I'm just trying to get a quick run in before class, what do you want from me? It doesn't help that I am literally struggling to breathe here, please don't small talk me.
    To be honest though, I'm off put by people talking to me anywhere. I'm just trying to buy groceries or drink my coffee or cross the street, leave me alone. Thanks.
  • megemrj
    megemrj Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    km8907 wrote: »
    Socialization at the gym for me is saying good morning to the guy at the counter and nodding at the other regulars I know. Then headphones go in and workout. If it's a good workout, talking is difficult. If you want to chat, start slow. Nod and wave for a couple weeks, then you can work in a short conversation after she's acknowledged you.

^^^My mornings ritual as well. Take into account the hubs is there mostly when I workout. I live with the man and hardly talk to him at the gym. It irritates him sometimes but thems the breaks. When I walk in the doors I'm all business. I'm not doing it "to anyone" I'm doing it "for my focus."
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,566 Member
    Options
    So my question is: HOW LONG IS TOO LONG TO CHAT? 2 minutes? 5 minutes?

Personally I am chatty with everyone in the gym and know almost all people I talk with by first name. But I do know boundaries and only speak with them based on how I've interacted with them in the past.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • rugratz2015
    rugratz2015 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    ASAPStocky wrote: »
    The gym is not a social setting.

A former gym I went to had questions on their membership form as to the reasons why you were there and if you wanted to make friends.

They actually introduced you to similar minded people and encouraged you to train at the same time.
  • ASAPStocky
    ASAPStocky Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    ASAPStocky wrote: »
    The gym is not a social setting.

A former gym I went to had questions on their membership form as to the reasons why you were there and if you wanted to make friends.

They actually introduced you to similar minded people and encouraged you to train at the same time.

That's interesting actually. I wonder how a gym that was really big on social interaction would work out (no pun intended)
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,369 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    So my question is: HOW LONG IS TOO LONG TO CHAT? 2 minutes? 5 minutes?

Personally I am chatty with everyone in the gym and know almost all people I talk with by first name. But I do know boundaries and only speak with them based on how I've interacted with them in the past.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

This is when you have to read body language and how the conversation is going. Perhaps the person you're talking to needs to just have a long convo to get stuff out perhaps they just want a quick hi. I had this issue with my hardware store guy one time he kept going on and on and on about his bodybuilding but I just wanted to go home. He seemed to want to talk thought so I waited it out
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,566 Member
    Options
    I feel sorry the guy has been scolded for his OP in a covert way.

Many people are on 100 dating sites and are perennially single looking for the one. The spouse you are looking for is probably in the same hall working out and you missed out because you are too shy or you don't want your workout to be "disturbed".

Then you go home and use 100 apps to find someone who is playing 5 men or 5 women at the same time. And eventually settle for someone less because the age clock is running out.

OP is not a bad looking guy.
    I would think that people who have a common interest would like to at least meet. Doesn't have to be a date. I have a client now who met her current boyfriend because he and I talk all the time and I introduce her to him. They took it from there.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png