Options

Replies

• synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,369 Member
    Options
    lstrat115 wrote: »
    ASAPStocky wrote: »
    The gym is not a social setting.

The grocery store is a place to buy food, the bar is a place to drink, church is a place to worship, school is a place to learn, work is a place to.... Duh, the internet is a place to do research or get information, MFP is a place to count calories, but.... I am sure everyone here has met or chatted with someone at one of these places.
    I dont talk a ton at the gym, but I also disagree with the people who get seriously pissed about it. People just need to start being more kind to each other in general. This world has enough hatred and bitterness.

I like this line because t's so true.
  • ASAPStocky
    ASAPStocky Posts: 51 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    The gym is not a social setting.

The grocery store is a place to buy food, the bar is a place to drink, church is a place to worship, school is a place to learn, work is a place to.... Duh, the internet is a place to do research or get information, MFP is a place to count calories, but.... I am sure everyone here has met or chatted with someone at one of these places.
    I dont talk a ton at the gym, but I also disagree with the people who get seriously pissed about it. People just need to start being more kind to each other in general. This world has enough hatred and bitterness.

I'm not in a grocery store watching TV with headphones in. Work and school are actually social settings where you speak to classmates and colleagues
  • ASAPStocky
    ASAPStocky Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Oh here comes the mfp clique...y'all got it.
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,369 Member
    Options
    Oh here comes the mfp clique...y'all got it.

Must be that because my points are so invalid that no one could possibly agree with me

I think your points are super valid
    This I am there to work attitude people adopt so that they don't have to interact is just over the top lately I find. I have trained and I see people training at very competitive levels and they alway have time for a quick word or two. They are always there to offer words of encouragement too.

But whatever I guess all the people I see and know of are jacka$$e$, heck what do Olympic and World champions really know anyway
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I've met a lot of friends in the gym over the years, some of whom are just gym acquaintances and some I hang with outside of the gym. I don't see how it's possible not to develop some kind of relationship with at least some of the people you see on the regular over the course of years.

As chit chat goes, there's definitely etiquette...I mean, I'm not walking up to my friend Laura when she's in the middle of a set and start asking about her day, but we're sure as heck going to say "hey" and probably a fist bump when we cross path's in the gym....we might even hang out for five minutes afterwards to catch up a little or plan a ride or something or figure out a good time for our kids to have a play date.
  • Katimira
    Katimira Posts: 50 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I'd love it if the OP could tell us whether his experience is that men are friendlier to each other at the gym. As in: he tried befriending both groups equally and that's how he's observed that women are not as friendly.

At my gym, I'd say levels of friendliness are similar for both genders. I perhaps have more interactions with women because I do group classes and we run into each other in the change room before and after class. But interactions are always very short because, well, it's the gym. Complaining that people are not chatty at the gym is like complaining that people are not chatty at the office. We're there for a reason that is other than chatting (unlike at bars and on-line dating).
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    MomReborn wrote: »
    ...I have no way of knowing if the guy wanting that friendly "hi" and chitchat is the kind of guy who will be satisfied with hi and a little chitchat, or the kind who will take that as an invitation to stalk me, follow me around all my sets, annoy the p*ss out of me, and not accept when I say I'm busy now and done talking.

I've dealt enough with the second kind at every gym I've ever belonged to to put me off of being open or friendly to any guy at a gym. And funnily enough, this only ever happens to me when I look fit and have lost weight, so... Not too hard for me to figure out what they're after, and I'm not there for that.

If you want chitchat, maybe try chatting up some of the males at your gym. They might be more open to it.

^^^^THIS. So much this!

Also, when you post you expect a FEMALE to act a certain way, you can expect to give the impression of being a sexist, chauvinistic d-bag that has outdated viewpoints. You have emasculated and invalidated yourself by living in the past. Real men would not care if another man or woman is attempting to communicate with them in any space.

Here are some modern world facts to get you up to speed:
    • You are not the center of attention, and no woman owes you the time of day or a single glance for that matter;
    • Women are not working out or doing other things for others simply to have mindless small talk;
    • Women serve other, more important functions than being a social "toy", or having a pleasant smile just because *gasp* "A MAYUN said 'hi' to me oooooo-"; and
    • Not everyone wants to talk to others, especially if they are focused on other things.

It should have nothing to do with whether an individual is male or female. Take other folks' advice and try it with other guys if you're so interested in making "small talk" and being friends. Otherwise, your post simply reeks of pig.

I dunno, I just thought he wanted to meet chicks at the gym.

* shrug
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    LL5lifts wrote: »
    I suppose it would be wise to read the person and their situation. If they are working out really hard and in the zone...perhaps its a good idea to leave them alone and approach them later when they are less focused to chat. If, at that time, they don't seem to want to chat, accept it and move on. Its not necessarily about you....perhaps that person is having a bad day. Try again another day or don't.

*kitten* that.

I'ma talking to you whether you like it or not!

.... especially if you're listing to anything German on your earbuds
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    Question I have been asking my whole life:

What is a real man?

let's start here:

You have had to watch both Predator and Fight Club in their entirety; no exceptions.
  • LiftingRiot
    LiftingRiot Posts: 6,952 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't know if women are friendly or not. I never try talking to them at the gym. I really don't talk to anyone.
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    I wouldn't know if women are friendly or not. I never try talking to them at the gym. I really don't talk to anyone.

.... how do you feel about the movie: Predator ?