WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2017

Options

Replies

• jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    I remember a good while ago,my sister and her husband were on NutriSystem. Her goal pretty much her whole adult hood was to be a size 10. Well she got to that and looked like a skeleton. She was 5'8" and just did not carry a size 10 well at all. Sometimes our goals just aren't healthy for us.

Charleen, is that a pattern to make or the actual finished quilt. Intricate sewing but you can do it.

We go purchase the stove this afternoon and will take a picture of it when we get it. But then you guys would see the awful green color our counter tops are. Charlie doesn't like that at all but until we get some of of our other home repairs done, it will remain green. In talking about future colors, Charlie mentioned he thought red counter tops would be nice! Yikes. I have a lot of work to do with that man.

Excited for Barbie in getting her dog today!!!! My youngest Michelle has a boxer and mutt. She had another mutt that died a couple of months ago. She babysit a friends huge dog for 4 months while her son was ill and then she took care of this dog that jumped in her car at Walmart. The owner was a big rig driver from Nebraska who was traveling through. A couple of weeks ago he came back and got his big girl bac. So now hwe boxer is getting lonely and she is thinking of fostering another big dog. But her fosters always fail because she adopts them. So the rescue group she works for posted a picture of an owner surrender full blooded boxer and sure enough she commented on it. They are going to see if he is cat friendly and then I am sure she will foster him.

JOyce, Indiana
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Arrrggghhh, I'm so upset. I discovered Torani syrup a year or two ago at a friends suggestion. It comes in many flavors and is great in coffee, shakes, what ever. I love the Salted Caramel and have kept it on hand for all this time. I order it directly from the company tho cuz I can't usually find it in the store and for sure not the Sugar Free. So last order was for 12 bottles, I've never ordered that many before and at $7.99 a bottle that's a chunk. So I've just almost finished the entire first bottle and said to Jack this morning this is weird I've never had a bottle of the Torani do this before, its gotten sugar crystals all around the lid. It dawned on me quickly, sugar free would not crystalize. I grabbed the bottle and low and behold its NOT sugar free. 100 calories per 2 tbls which is probably what I put in a cup of coffee and I used the entire bottle in the last 10 days or so. I'm so upset over the calories and sugar that I'm not half as upset that I have 11 bottles of syrup at $7.99/bottle that I have no idea what to do with :'(:s

Well the positive is that maybe now I'll lose a couple of pounds :p

Janetr OKC
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,703 Member
    Options
    Hidee Ho all~
    Tom taking boys for a walk and a load of laundry .. will see if I can have a civilized conversation about the paycheck issue.. last I brought it up, he still wanted the control but I could put more money in my account...
    wish me luck on that front..
    Exited to hear about Bess and see a picture...
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Gloria – I was a paralegal for a group of attorneys who did a lot of plaintiff representation (medical malpractice and/or malfeasance, large wrecks, product liability, and some others cases (divorce and criminal); and, the first day I was shown how to set up the files, which were divided into 3 sections. After having it explained to me, in detail, I understood why they did it all the same way (4 attorneys, 1 investigator, and 3 secretaries). While none of the secretaries could ever ‘give legal advice’ we could look at the file and know what we had and what we needed. Stayed busy as all get-out. The first week, I stood at the copy machine making 8 copies of everything in the file, getting it ready to go to trial. Making sure that a Dismissal With or Without Prejudice was also in the file.

The ‘big’ boss’s secretary was one Helluva B**** and when he was ‘in the office’ he’d open the door to her office space and my office. I was like a “Cat of a Hot Tin Roof” when he was in town, although I was the secretary to the Associate and the Investigator. When he won his ‘first’ $1,000,000 fee he put on a huge spread for all the attorneys in town and a 2nd private party at his house. The 2 partners gave their secretaries a ‘bonus’ and I joking said to him that he should give me one since the first week I was there, I spent 8 hours standing on my feet copying everything. I was a big ‘high’ and was standing between them ‘thinking’ I had my hands around their waists; but both of them were well over 6’ and I was actually rubbing them on their @$$es’. My boss, the other secretaries, DH, and boss’s wife and one of the partner’s wife were laughing their heads off in a corner. The other’s wife was sitting behind us, and she was throwing eye darts at me. A little bit later he called me into his office and told me that they had decided to give me a bonus. Then he asked me if I wanted it as a lump sum or did I want it as a raise. I told him, let me think about that … and I would let him know what my decision was. I went back to my office and figured it out and went back to him and told him I preferred the bonus as a raise. He looked up at me and smiled, saying ‘that’s a good decision’. We already made about $100 more a week than any other law firm were paying their secretaries. But, we also were expected to stay overtime or work on the weekends to get ready to go to trial. Thankfully, we got paid for that, too.

One day when he was in the office his secretary yelled at me to come to her office. As always I would take the long way around to get there. She gave me a ‘good dressing down’ and I was so embarrassed I had to go to the restroom so I would not ‘pee’ in my pants. I got back to my office and he called me to see him. I was ‘sure’ he was going to fire me ‘on the spot’. Instead, he turned around and pulled out a copy of a letter that his secretary had typed up and sent out to a client or the opposing party. It was a one line sentence and he asked me to read it ‘out loud’. I looked at it and it had 5 or 6 errors in it and I looked up at him and he asked me to count the errors in it, in front of her. There was a mistake in the date, one misspelling of the town, two in the sentence, and she had transposed his first and last name. He then told me that she was NOT my boss, only the attorney that I worked for; and, if I needed a dressing down like she had given me I had his permission to turn around and walk away. Then, when my door was opened I could walk through it to come to his secretary’s office. Of course, when he had a client; I got up and closed the door; and, when they were finished he came over and opened it.

The only thing I never mastered was the ‘mag card’ typewriter. If it had had a screen to it, I would have had no problem with it. If it was going to happen once; it seemed to happen every time. I would pick them up and drop them. Slippery. Hated the machine. Then they sent the other secretary to school for a week to learn how to do it. His secretary wanted ‘no part’ of it. Then, about a month later they bought a ‘computer’ and she (not his secretary, the other one) let me work on it when the big boss’s secretary was not in the office. I took to it like a duck to water; and, when she was ‘out of the office on vacation’, he wanted his secretary to do her work at the other one’s desk. Because she did not ever learn now to operate the computer; I jumped in and told him, “I’ll try!” She did not know that I had been taught how to use it, and it made me ‘happy’ that I had. Cha-ching!

My DDnL#1 quit a job she had because she did not care how the business was being run, after 10 or 12 years with them. She had wanted the boss to pay her a commission on what she ‘sold over the counter’ and he told her it was his son’s account. Then she got angry about it; and, the same day a salesman with the company wanted her to ‘check an order’ and she took it to the boss; she did not think it was 'her' place to 'ok' it. He made the comment that everybody was sure being bitchy that day. She asked if she could take her lunch hour and he told her no; then she told him she NEEDED to take it. He told her that ‘if’ she walked out the door, not to come back. It wasn’t the first time she had ‘walked out’ because she got reprimanded about something. I had told her when he sent her home for posting something on FB and his wife saw it … that he was going to ‘one day’ get tired of her mouth and ‘fire her for insubordination’. Well, she walked out, he had given her 2 unpaid days for being on FB and told her never to do it again. She said what she posted was something to the effect that ‘the other person should not come to work when she was sick; so they would not expose the others’. Personally, I would have gone to her instead. When she got back the 2 days she was ‘out on unpaid leave’, the work that came in for those 2 days were waiting for her. She was furious. Unfortunately, she does 'think' first before 'putting her mouth in motion' and pretty much has a "Kick @$$ how, get names later." She stays in trouble for this and when she came over about a month ago, my DH told her that; and, that she did not need to post personal information on FB. He asked me 'how and why does she even know the things she posts about' in the first place? Mmmm, I don't know (and quite frankly don't care). I just deactivated my FB account; and don't miss it at all. I 'unfriended' the 'ex' of a woman I used to be 'close friends' with ... because of what he posted ... was getting a little 'vulgar' (to me, IMHO).

Well, when he told her ‘not to come back’ after the incident that she was ‘not to come back, if she walked out’ … she did; and, didn’t. She was out of work for 6 weeks and she applied for unemployment benefits and I told her not to hold her breath. Sure enough, she got ‘denied’. DOS was upset for a while; but, she had gotten so upset several times that she decided she would look for another job. She finally got one; making less, but with wonderful health insurance and retirement. She came home after a week or two saying that she was ‘thinking about quitting it’ to try to find another job. The job is a ‘state’ job; and, the health insurance will cover his oldest child until she is ‘out of college’ or to the age of 26; if she isn’t married. DOS told her in no uncertain terms that ‘if she quit the job’, he would ‘file for a divorce’ the next working day. All of us talked to her about it and I told her that she ‘now has her foot in the door’ she would be able to ‘apply for any job that came up’; but, she would also have to know that someone else might have ‘seniority’ over her. She had applied for a job in this county; and, would have gotten a $4000 a year raise. She did not get it, and she fussed about not having enough to do. When they did, she could not understand why they did the things the way they did, and she thought that she could do it more efficiently. I told her they wanted her to ‘do whatever her job was’ the ‘way they told her for a reason’ and she needed to ‘keep her nose to the grindstone and not question it’. I would have never questioned my bosses. My boss and the investigator used the same Dictaphone; and, my boss who put the phone into his desk drawer so he could use it, because the Investigator would ‘hog it’. The Investigator could not understand why it seemed like I was not doing his work. If it continued, he would go to the ‘big boss’ and complain about it. I said, ‘if’ you need to talk to anyone about it, you first need to talk to ‘my’ boss. He finally went in there and sat down and talked to him. My boss explained that I also had important work for him to do; and, he could dictate to either of the other two secretaries who did not have anything they ‘needed’ done. He was finally given a tape recorder to do his reports on; and, then whichever one of us did not have work to do, then we could transcribe his reports. My goodness, they were so boring; because when he started the next report, he also went back and told what he had done with the previous investigation. I wanted to ‘choke’ him; but, he was an ‘old man’ … who probably would not be there a whole lot longer.

It’s difficult to try to ‘get up to speed’ and at the same time having to learn a new software, etc.

One reason you might have the mattress fall through is that maybe the boards were not cut exactly to the proper length. It doesn't take much pressure to push the metal side rails out. You probably need to have at least 5 boards, maybe 6; and, measure the space between the rails and have them cut to size. Just because it is 48” in one place doesn’t mean that it might not be 47.5 or 48.5 in another one. I have always numbered my boards so that I will put the back in the same order. You might also try moving the boards to a different location. Don’t push it into place … it usually means that you will stretch the metal rail.

Paula – I agree with Charleen; portion control, exercise, and drinking enough water is what helps you most. Portion control and/or weight is really important. Eyeballing something usually means you will go over. Buy a good food scale and a good set of measuring cups and spoons. It also means that you have to level off you cups and spoons and not do a ‘heaping spoonful’.
    I’m like you I do better at exercise in the summer than I do in the winter. I walked around the property on Friday and got in the 40 minutes that I had been told to work up to. Outside, it was beautiful; but, the wind was extremely chilly. Today the wind is blowing so bad that we can hear it sitting inside; but, we also have a metal roof.
    I sit about ½ the time when I am painting; but, when I am drawing I am sitting the entire time.

Charleen - Is this picture of a quilt you have already made, or one that you are cutting all the pieces out to start on?

Marni – Happy Birthday!

Tracie – Do y’all know the ‘sex(es)’ of the twins?

Katla – I think doing the ‘mucking’ made me reason, I didn’t really want a horse for myself. LOL!
    Our hummers fly south for the winter. It is amazing that you have them up in Oregan.

Michele – You’ll get a kick out of this, my eyes were running faster than my brain … I was ‘wondering’ why you would ‘borrow’ a ‘wheelbarrow’ so that the friend could come to the social. I just had this ‘crazy’ image in my head of this ‘overweight’ woman being pushed into the party in a ‘wheelbarrow’. LOL!!!! Taking a pot of soup and a lemon cake would be a really nice gesture. It’s bad when one person is incapacitated and their helper also falls and gets hurt.

Grace – I sure hope your DD has not had an ectopic pregnancy (if she is of child-bearing years). When I had my appendix taken out as a 14-year-old; I also had cysts on my ovaries.

Karen – Beautiful veggies!!! Look so crisp!

Cheri – I almost by-passed the stage of 14’s. I had had my 16’s taken in by a tailor who told me that ‘if’ I lost any more weight, he would not be able to take the pants in any further. It would make the pockets in the back too close together. Took the up in the inside seam; and a tuck in the back.

Chris – I’ve heard several of y’all talking about cauliflower pizza crust; since the things you would be putting on it, I wonder what it would be like to bake it first; then, put all the topping on it and take it out once the cheese melts?
    That would definitely be an incentive to me. I bought my first size 10 back about 3 months ago, they also had a bit more stretch to the fabric than most jeans. My yoga pants and my skinny jeans stretch, so I cannot tell if they are fitting me any differently other than they seem to gather up more than they did when I bought them. Going down to the next scale is not only a NSV; it is SV! Congrats!

Joyce – I don’t know what size I will be when I get to my goal weight … I just want to be where my BMI will show that I am in a ‘normal’ weight range group.

Janetr – Can you call the company and ask if they have a ‘sugar-free’ Torani; and, if they do will they exchange them? Maybe they can’t since it is a food product. Won’t get your money back but if you or a friend have a yard sale, maybe you can get 80% of the cost back selling it that way.

Lenora
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    janetr7476 wrote: »
    DrKatieBug/KarenVA - I'm so excited, today I ordered 3 pair of leggings from LuLaRoe. Can't wait to get them.
    KC

Oh, Janet, sweetie. That's how it starts. Next thing you know, you belong to 20 different FB groups and need to clear out a whole drawer just for your leggings.

I'm getting my Valentine's Day ones tomorrow at the gym. And a complete outfit for the DGD.
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,052 Member
    Options
    Alison having your own account is necessary now and non negotiable. Just do it you do not need his permission. I have accounts in my name. My DH know about them and he knows he is my beneficiary. Just as he has accounts in his name. I am his beneficiary. You are not going to want to make Tom's yours. You will need to decided who you want before you open the account. Be prepared to have a username and password ready. I have a feeling Tom has some accounts in his name only.
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Kate UK
    <3
  • janetr7476
    edited January 2017
    Options
    drkatiebug wrote: »
    janetr7476 wrote: »
    DrKatieBug/KarenVA - I'm so excited, today I ordered 3 pair of leggings from LuLaRoe. Can't wait to get them.
    KC

Oh, Janet, sweetie. That's how it starts. Next thing you know, you belong to 20 different FB groups and need to clear out a whole drawer just for your leggings.

I'm getting my Valentine's Day ones tomorrow at the gym. And a complete outfit for the DGD.

LOL So I hear. My friend that I ordered thru said to me "Oh no, now Jack's gonna hate me" :)

Janetr okc
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Grace - I am so sorry to hear this info about your daughter. You must have been beside yourself when you found her in her car. As a mother it doesn't make any difference our children's age we worry about them just as much as when they were young. I pray everything turns out alright for her and you get some much needed rest. <3
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Lenora - that is the problem with the bed it's not the same width all along the rails. Good idea to measure about 6 different places across.

Carol - when I was younger I would have cried too but I have learned that it works out better if I can talk it over. Too bad I didn't learn to do that in my marriages . . . LOL

When I was a teenager I wore a size 16 which for my height and build was slim. It didn't make any difference what the charts said I should weigh because they don't seem to ever be accurate for people who are big boned. Looking healthy and feeling healthy are what counts. I will never wear a 4, 6. 8, 10, 12 or probably even a 14 but who knows where I will land when I get to journeys end.

I've been listening to Barbra Streisand, Whitney Houston, Celine, Michael Buble etc. on my laptop as I do other things on it. I am so enjoying my new speaker which is allowing me to do this. In my personal opinion just like there will never be another JFK there will never be another Barbra. What a wondrous gift she was given and what a treat that she chose to share it with us.

Marni - after seeing all of your pics of AK I feel a trip for the boys and I coming on. I think it would be a great experience for them.

As soon as this case is over or I time out on the Non-perm job I will be getting my knees done. I don't have pain every day from them or if I do I'm so used to it that I ignore it. The worst is when I bend over to do something and then stand up again. Luckily my new insurance has a special program for those needing knee or hip replacement so I'll be checking on it this next week. It says it is low or no cost to those who qualify (I think that means that you need it done). Meg or Kim - sorry I can't remember which of you is doing the knee strengthening exercises. Are the exercises on Youtube? I know I need to do this prior to having the surgery. In all the years I have needed knee replacement - probably since my 30s no doctor has ever suggested cortisone shots or anything else. I guess i never was in bad enough pain. Who knows? One ortho that I went to was more into sports related knee injuries so I guess he couldn't relate because I was obese. Anyway that was the feeling I left with.

Better get on with my list for the day. I can cross off changing the battery in my IPhone 4 and saving $75 that the computer repair place would have charged. Ifixit is a great place for getting kits for repairing things as well as videos and step by step instructions on how to do it. Now I need to get to the store for a little shopping then home to cook for the week.

Talk to you later,

Gloria in WA where I'm hoping I will find a picture of Barbie & Bess when I come back! petting-dog-smiley-emoticon.gif

• MrsGLT
    MrsGLT Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies. Thank for your kind words, thoughts and prayers for my daughter. We got home at 5:15 this morning. Needless to say I did not make church and and still in my pjs. I was going to try and make the evening service but I don't see that happening.
    Megan came home with a catheter and a leg bag. She is supposed to follow up with a gynecologist as early as possible tomorrow. Then she has to see a urologist. I'm really concerned she may need surgery.
    Staying on plan and taking care of me. I'll keep you posted on my girl. She's the baby of my three. It's funny it doesn't matter how old they are they're always your baby. My son will be 34 tomorrow and my middle daughter is 32.
    Y'all have a good day.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,548 Member
    Options
    stat for the day:
    outside run- 26.42min, 9.23ap, apple, 149ahr 2.8mi = 276c apple watch
    nike nrc- 298c, 2.82mi,
    wahoo, couldn't connect
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,212 Member
    Options
    Waiting for the doctor to come. I knew it would happen. I think I've got a UTI. I've seen a paramedic and she seemed to think I am very inflamed. Feeling sorry for myself and DH is pretty depressed.
    I will update you later.
    Heather in Mexico :'(
  • janetr7476
    Options
    Waiting for the doctor to come. I knew it would happen. I think I've got a UTI. I've seen a paramedic and she seemed to think I am very inflamed. Feeling sorry for myself and DH is pretty depressed.
    I will update you later.
    Heather in Mexico :'(

Oh, Heather, so sorry to hear this. Sending positive thots for you to heal quickly. <3

Janetr okc
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,052 Member
    Options
    Glo I am doing Dr. Jo exercises on you-tube. Mine target bursitis. Regardless strengthening muscles in your leg helps with your knees.

(((Heather))) Sending healing thoughts.

:heart: Margaret
  • Charleen2
    Charleen2 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Joyce, Indiana - It is a software generated image of what it should look like. I had to upload photos of all the fabric I planned to use and then 'paint' it into each unit of the quilt.

Heather
    - My goodness your vacation has been nothing like you planned! Take care of yourself and I hope you feel better soon.

Barbie - Yea for a new furry baby! Lots of wet sloppy kisses coming your way.

Charleen in Colorado (So why did I pull out the snowshoes when the temp was 60 degrees (F) today??)
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,548 Member
    Options