Ask a mortician

Options

Replies

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    ...I've taken care of elderly people from my church, but no family or friends yet...

I appreciate the way you phrased that. It's very sensitive and respectful towards the deceased. You seem like a nice person. :)
  • LittleHearseDriver
    LittleHearseDriver Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    nolan44219 wrote: »
    have you ever had to get someone ready for burial and thought "damn this ole boy should have been an organ donor?"

I often mumble to myself the opposite actually. Organ donors are a lot of extra work. You have to worry about them leaking so we put them in a plastic coveralls. I think it's a very noble gift. I wouldn't choose if for myself or my family because I wouldn't want to see them picked apart in the behind the scenes stuff.

• subcounter
    subcounter Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    1. When you say goodbye to somebody in public and shake their hand do you say "I'll be seeing you"?
      If so, what is their reaction? (Haha do you think your job has an impact on how people "see" you?
    2. Umm well this ones, awkward but since we have you here, the rear side leakage, how often does that happen?
    3. Any weird, or out of the norm style funerals, bizarre requests?
    4. Has there been a really difficult job, like a bad autopsy, or someone that passed away in a not-so-pleasant way, that needed a lot of work?
    5. Some job that you couldn't handle?

Okay this post is too addictive gotta stop myself now.
  • jenilla1
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    One possibility is to be cremated and your ashes used to grow a tree.

that's what i want. i want to be a tree when i grow dead.

before they had that my plan was to have my friends steal my body and bury me somewhere shallow and foresty without a coffin, so the bugs and worms and rot and animals could get to me. natural decay and all that.

That's actually a thing, and your friends don't have to steal you. It's called "green burial." Google it. It actually sounds pretty appealing to me, too.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,620 Member
    Options
    Seeing it all the time, are you now numb to death even it were to happen to someone close to you? And if it was a family member, could you do the service yourself or pass it over?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • LittleHearseDriver
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Seeing it all the time, are you now numb to death even it were to happen to someone close to you? And if it was a family member, could you do the service yourself or pass it over?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

No, I'm not numb to it at all. Actually, it hits me like a ton of bricks when I lose someone I love because I'm used to seeing it happen to everyone else. It will be extremely hard, but I want to take care of my family when the time comes. If I was a plumber I wouldn't call someone else to fix a busted pipe, I'd take care of it myself.
  • MaybeLed
    MaybeLed Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    abrubru wrote: »
    I started a reading a book called "Stiff: the curious lives of human cadavers" a while back by Mary Roach that deals with alot of what you have been sharing, but also goes into organ donation, donation to science and such. I have read through this whole thread and am impressed with your tactfulness and your thoughtful answers. I also think you should write that book...or at least start keeping notes so that you can write it later (you'd be amazed at what you can forget--even things you never thought you'd forget--over time).

And I just want to add--in the most un-creepy manner--I hope you realize how adorable you are!

Mary Roach books are so good, I went to one of her talks recently. They make you think about so many things that never even cross your consciousness. I’ve just finished Grunt, which is about the military and science. They use a lot of cadavers in military vehicle testing, blow them up and watch what happens to the mechanism of the explosion to the bodies. Then autopsy them to see where the vehicles need more work to protect people.

I’m not sure I could donate my body like that. I’m painfully pro organ donation as I’ve mentioned but I’ve known enough medical students to not feel comfortable donating the whole thing!
  • Kintsugi_Haikyo
    Kintsugi_Haikyo Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    So the weight of the dirt doesn't cave in the casket and I stay dry.

On the whole vault thing, how does the body decompose in a vault? Is there a cement floor with holes, or no floor at all in a vault, or ...? I'm curious.

Thank you in advance.
  • LittleHearseDriver
    Options
    So the weight of the dirt doesn't cave in the casket and I stay dry.

On the whole vault thing, how does the body decompose in a vault? Is there a cement floor with holes, or no floor at all in a vault, or ...? I'm curious.

Thank you in advance.

The body will decompose in the casket eventually. There are three different types of vaults to choose from: concrete, steel, and plastic. The steel and plastic ones have a dome shaped top and flat bottom like a butter dish. The concrete vaults are a standard box shape with the lid on top. None of them have holes.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

No, I'm not numb to it at all. Actually, it hits me like a ton of bricks when I lose someone I love because I'm used to seeing it happen to everyone else. It will be extremely hard, but I want to take care of my family when the time comes. If I was a plumber I wouldn't call someone else to fix a busted pipe, I'd take care of it myself.
    People ask if I train my DW. Nope. Her idea and my idea of working out differ and I don't want any drama at home. I'll give her advice if she asks, or maybe show her how to do an exercise correctly, but I wouldn't train her.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Is the masoleum business for casket strong?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• englishmuffinruns
    englishmuffinruns Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Hands down, this is THE most fascinating thread I have ever read. I used to watch "Family Plots" when it ran on A&E years ago. At the time I was working in our local vital records office (in a small southern town) and became good friends with the local funeral directors. After a while I became comfortable enough to ask them random questions, one of which was "do you put underwear on the deceased?" It happened that the funeral director who came that day was a good humored country guy with a knack for telling a good story. Instead of a simple yes or no, he launches into the following: "Well, I'll put it like this. Imagine we have your granny in the back of the hearse and we're riding down Main Street. A truck runs through the intersection, hits the hearse and granny's casket goes flying out the back, leaving her in the middle of the road. Wouldn't you want her to have her drawers on?"

Thank you for taking the time to answer all the questions and for being so open and up-front. I would love to read your book!
  • MrStabbems
    MrStabbems Posts: 3,110 Member
    Options
    can you professionally attend to your own family?

I should do this with my own profession but no one has questions for a gigolo.
  • jenilla1
    Options
    For someone like me who doesn't want to be cremated or embalmed and doesn't want be viewed and cried over and all that stuff, but just go straight into the ground, will morticians still bathe and dress and prep you for that? And can you get one of those awesome wicker caskets or some kind of a cool shroud and just stick it straight into the dirt, or do you need a vault? Thanks! <3
  • LittleHearseDriver
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    For someone like me who doesn't want to be cremated or embalmed and doesn't want be viewed and cried over and all that stuff, but just go straight into the ground, will morticians still bathe and dress and prep you for that? And can you get one of those awesome wicker caskets or some kind of a cool shroud and just stick it straight into the dirt, or do you need a vault? Thanks! <3
    If you find a cemetery you like that doesn't require vaults then it can definitely be done :)
  • LittleHearseDriver
    Options
    Is the masoleum business for casket strong?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

The price of mausoleums vary by area. At Woodlawn in Nashville they cost around $5,000 per crypt.
    MrStabbems wrote: »
    can you professionally attend to your own family?

I should do this with my own profession but no one has questions for a gigolo.

There are no laws that dictate who we are allowed to take care of. It would be silly if there was a law against it. They're already dead, what's the worse that could happen?
  • anniesgolden1
    anniesgolden1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It makes things much easier on the family when they know exactly what their loved one's wishes were.

When my daddy died, he had made his wishes so well known that within 12 hours of his death, there were 7 people who showed up at the (prepaid) funeral home with Folger's coffee cans. And one person with a Maxwell House can, because Food Lion was all out of Folger's. :) Daddy would have died laughing!! (See what I did there!)

The memorial service was lovely, and the funeral home didn't blink at the coffee can - once I could show that it was actually in his instructions. They're truly special people who are called to this profession.

BTW, FTD sells an urn arrangement that looks great with a coffee can.
    https://www.ftd.com/sympathy-funeral-pcg/the-ftd-tears-of-comfort-arrangement/occasion-sympathy/s17-4473/?fromGF=1
  • LittleLionHeart1
    LittleLionHeart1 Posts: 3,655 Member
    Options
    Musical present for my favorite mortician. :)
    https://youtu.be/KeMHEKHCFG0