Replies

• abrubru
    abrubru Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    "....that's what i want. i want to be a tree when i grow dead."
    ==========================

...... I would settle for poison oak or jumping cholla

why not continue being a pain in the *kitten* even after death?

I kind of am picturing kudzu for you... :p
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    abrubru wrote: »
    "....that's what i want. i want to be a tree when i grow dead."
    ==========================

...... I would settle for poison oak or jumping cholla

why not continue being a pain in the *kitten* even after death?

I kind of am picturing kudzu for you... :p

yeah.... kudzu

hated and invasive

I'll take it!
  • abrubru
    abrubru Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    As a former animal euthanasia technician, I don't know why I haven't thought to ask, but

1.) Have you ever been asked to do a funeral for an animal? If not, would you?
    2.) To go with #1 - could you embalm an animal or would you even be able too?
    3.) If so, would it be the same as humans? If not, could you elaborate?
    4.) Has anyone ever come in to where you work and asked about the previous two questions (#1 and #2)?
    5.) Have you ever buried a pet (already deceased) with their owner...considering that the animal is cremated? If not, would you and can you (as in would you be allowed)?
    6.) What are your thoughts on animals and the afterlife?
    7.) How, if in any way, does or doesn't it play into your personal beliefs?

Have I mentioned how fascinating this thread is?

I've never embalmed an animal. If I could find the carotid artery and the jugular vein, I could do it. No one has ever asked me to, but if they did I would say no. We bury people with their pets ashes all the time. You can put anything you want in the casket with them. In the Bible it mentions animals being in heaven so I believe we'll see our fur children again one day☺

When I was working on my undergrad I used to prepare animals for taxidermy for the Bio department. I don't think it is legal to perform taxidermy on a human, but I did a fair number of animals--including a friend's pet hamster that she was too attached to to bury. Most of the animals I worked on were wild though, not domestic. I'm not sure I would like to have to work on my own pet...
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Seeing it all the time, are you now numb to death even it were to happen to someone close to you? And if it was a family member, could you do the service yourself or pass it over?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

No, I'm not numb to it at all. Actually, it hits me like a ton of bricks when I lose someone I love because I'm used to seeing it happen to everyone else. It will be extremely hard, but I want to take care of my family when the time comes. If I was a plumber I wouldn't call someone else to fix a busted pipe, I'd take care of it myself.

So I'm gonna ask - how do you reconcile this with your earlier statement about who wants to see their grandmother naked and handle the preparation of their own family? Is the difference that you're already skilled in the task and would therefore be mentally able to handle it?
  • LittleHearseDriver
    LittleHearseDriver Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Seeing it all the time, are you now numb to death even it were to happen to someone close to you? And if it was a family member, could you do the service yourself or pass it over?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

No, I'm not numb to it at all. Actually, it hits me like a ton of bricks when I lose someone I love because I'm used to seeing it happen to everyone else. It will be extremely hard, but I want to take care of my family when the time comes. If I was a plumber I wouldn't call someone else to fix a busted pipe, I'd take care of it myself.

So I'm gonna ask - how do you reconcile this with your earlier statement about who wants to see their grandmother naked and handle the preparation of their own family? Is the difference that you're already skilled in the task and would therefore be mentally able to handle it?

I'm used to it, I've seen so many people naked it wouldn't phase me. It would bother me to see a family member who has been autopsied. It would be very hard, but I would regret not taking care of them myself.
  • MrStabbems
    MrStabbems Posts: 3,110 Member
    Options
    ^lol I hate even treating family & friends!
  • spamarie
    spamarie Posts: 2,825 Member
    Options
    That was a very interesting read. I've never been to an open casket funeral, I think they're less common in the UK.

If somebody requests a colourful funeral, do the funeral staff join in or do you always wear black? Or am I making an assumption that you even wear black as standard?
  • LittleHearseDriver
    Options
    spamarie wrote: »
    That was a very interesting read. I've never been to an open casket funeral, I think they're less common in the UK.

If somebody requests a colourful funeral, do the funeral staff join in or do you always wear black? Or am I making an assumption that you even wear black as standard?

I've never had a family ask me to wear something specifically, but I have worn the deceased's favorite color for a funeral.
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,231 Member
    Options

I've never had a family ask me to wear something specifically, but I have worn the deceased's favorite color for a funeral.

How nice of you.

My dear nephew passed away last June at age 51, only two months after being diagnosed with brain cancer.

I was surprised to see him in the casket with baseball cap on! He was very involved with his son's baseball and it looked quite natural.

I never heard of a colorful funeral but this reminded me that things have changed.
  • MaybeLed
    MaybeLed Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Jimb376mfp wrote: »

How nice of you.

My dear nephew passed away last June at age 51, only two months after being diagnosed with brain cancer.

I was surprised to see him in the casket with baseball cap on! He was very involved with his son's baseball and it looked quite natural.

I never heard of a colorful funeral but this reminded me that things have changed.

I've come across a couple, especially if the person was young.

I think for me I'd always choose black. Associations can be quite profound. I won't have lillies at home because they remind me of death. There was a funeral full of sunflowers and now when I see sunflowers they always make me think about the poor girl who died due to a *kitten* doctor. Makes me really angry and sad when I see them.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    You are awesome. That is all.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Like, really.
  • LittleHearseDriver
    Options
    What's the most unexpected thing you've come across while working with the deceased?

I embalmed a woman in her 30s who had a tattoo downtown. She was an autopsy and the incision went through her tattoo. It was a rainbow with two words above it. Even after I sewed everything back together I couldn't make out what it said.
  • LittleLionHeart1
    LittleLionHeart1 Posts: 3,655 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
  • Motorsheen
    Options

Well then, if you work my funeral would you agree to wrap your naked body in saran wrap for the viewing?

Mine, not yours..... viewing, that is.

On second thought, I wouldn't be around to enjoy the festivities; wear whatever you want.

• Motorsheen
    edited March 2017
    Options

Well then, if you work my funeral would you agree to wrap your naked body in saran wrap for the viewing?

Mine, not yours..... viewing, that is.

On second thought, I wouldn't be around to enjoy the festivities; wear whatever you want.

I thought you wanted to be beer battered and deep fried?! Quit changing your wishes dang it!

The beer batter is still an option........

but I like the idea of having my ashes fired from a cannon at halftime of the Michigan- Ohio State game too.

Edited to add: I'll take your non reply on the saran wrap question as an answer of: yes!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    What's the most unexpected thing you've come across while working with the deceased?

I embalmed a woman in her 30s who had a tattoo downtown. She was an autopsy and the incision went through her tattoo. It was a rainbow with two words above it. Even after I sewed everything back together I couldn't make out what it said.

I watched a documentary of an autopsy a while ago, and they tucked everything back in the cavity and sewed the person back up when it was over. But that was in the U.K. I don't know how they do it in the U.S. The example above sounds like they didn't put her back together when they were done. Do they normally close them back up after examination, or do they just leave people a hot mess after an autopsy so a mortician has to go in and do the repairs? Thanks!