NON WW & WW NEWBIES, OUR NEW LIFE, THE START OF SOMETHING WONDERFUL

Options

Replies

• healthypelican
    healthypelican Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Haven't been to Weight Watchers for about a month. Had McDonalds for two days in a row. I quit personal training because I don't enjoy it anymore, although I love the company of the trainer and the endorphins. Because of my Bipolar, I am tired all the time and giving up an hour a day to workout was a lot, especially when I wasn't losing weight (because my eating is horrendous). I have booked myself to see a counsellor with the advice of my WW leader and several other people and my fitbit is on my wrist. I am going to try and do the minimum to lose weight and see if it works. Eat as many points as I can and do the minimum exercise, or just do what I feel like that day because it seems to work for some people. I am trying to keep the stress low in my life.

Another thing... my mother doesn't like me eating junkfood/fast food infront of her, so I'm not going to eat it at home. For the last two days I ate McDonalds in the park, and to be honest, I didn't like it very much. Usually I eat it infront of Netflix, which I love.

The other thing is, if I am eating with other people, I will try to eat like a slim, healthy person (small portions), and eat more later when I am by myself to avoid negative comments (sister said I was eating too much after I had lost a lot of weight that week on Weight Watchers and I have been doing badly since, I lost like 4kg that week because it was my first week on WW of the year, and I have put on weight since then).

So yeah, restarting today :-) yay!

There was a coat my mother was going to buy me, it was a black puffer jacket with a pink hood, seriously cute. I had to manoeuvre my way into it but it zipped all the way up. My mother said no, it doesn't fit well... I just realised I have some money in my account, I'm $15 short so I might go back next week and buy it! serious motivation for me, I really want that coat, its super cute.
  • peruviansweetie
    peruviansweetie Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone
    Glad to see you all!!!
    So, today I start again. I've been tracking my food here, but I'm thinking of joining WW again. Just the online program. They are having a promotion. Lose 10 lbs in 3 months and they'll give you $100. That would definitely motivate me to stay on track lol lol

@cbabie Oh no!! I hope you feel better soon. Sending hugs and prayers your way.
    @bugmom92 Men definitely have it easier. This journey is tough. I'm starting again, but I'm not going to stress out about it. My attitude needs to change on this journey. No matter what.. I need to keep going.

@gemwolf110 Nice seeing you here!! It's tough to keep up, but hopefully I'll be able to succeed this time around. I need to come here more for the encouragement!!!

@dankas001 I'm sorry to hear you're not doing well. Praying that you get better soon. I think I'll be giving up sweets for lent and I'm also not going to give up and continue this journey.

@theslightedgeforever Thank you for the encouragement and yes I will definitely try to come here at least once a day. So nice to get back!!

Waving hello to everyone. Off to make dinner lol!!

Until next time.
  • theslightedgeforever
    theslightedgeforever Posts: 2,247 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    bugmom Five lbs is great. Imagine by next February 60 lbs gone. So keep doing what you have been doing.

cbabie So sorry you are sick. Hooray for not turning to comfort food.

trooworld Usually I would have eaten the whole muffin but I'm really trying hard to fight diabetes and lose that lb. Plus I had been waiting 5 months for a hot fudge sundae I had planned that afternoon. I had already figured that into my cals for the day. This Starbucks stop was unplanned. 350 cals for that muffin. Way too much Carbwise I really only needed 1/4. But I'm not mentally there yet to eat 1/4. Had that 1/4 been a whole small muffin, no problem. Its the mind games.

gemwolf My dd keeps bugging me to watch Outlander. I don't need more excuses to sit lol

healthypelican Finding what works for us as an individual is hard I think. But persistence will get you there. Good for you for starting again. I start over alot. I am not one for rules as such. I can't do the No sugar or no white stuff like bread, potatoes, flour. It makes me want them even more. Right now I'm shooting for lose at least 1 lb a week. That might be too big of a goal right now for you. I've been at that place and said okay I can lose 1/2 lbs per week. Because that's still 26 lbs lighter than I am right now and is doable. Plus once I get moving in the right direction, I can change it to a lb. I'm a BIG believer in babysteps. My goal is 8000 steps a day instead of 10000. I've lost weight with that too. I'm learning Exercise can't wipe out a bad diet. Consistency each day is the key. I struggle with that but I keep going. Surely one day I'll get it right. The family thing....sounds like a control thing. You didn't enjoy the McDonalds but you ate it anyway to prove that you are in charge. You can eat it if you want to. My dh does that occasionally He will say I thought you were dieting if I'm enjoying something. He's a black and white person. I'm shades of gray. Also on the family thing, your mother might be worried about your health. I have an overweight daughter. I do comment from time to time while she's here with me. She gives me one of her looks. I explain that I don't want her getting diabetes or high blood pressure. I tell her don't waste her life being fat and not being able to wear cute clothes. Shopping should be fun. I wasted my 30s and 40s. Here we are in the 50s. So track your points each day and move your body. Find something you like to do. Ride a bike outside? Zumba? walk? dance? I say get the coat and let it motivate you.

peru Come join us on the lose 1 lb this week challenge. Track your points or calories whatever you are doing and go move your body. Find a youtube person who is losing weight and follow her. I find the daily vlogs motivating.

over in cals and carbs. I forgot to enter a snack for the afternoon. I was so mindful of my cals too all day Even cut a portion in half to fit at dinner and then later remembered that snack which put me over. grrrrr

I was being lazy and said I will do 15 min. So I did some pushups and floorwork. Then decided I could do a walk. Its the starting that is the hard part. I ended up with 50 min of exercise for the day.
  • healthypelican
    Options
    Did 20,000+ steps today and was about 750 calories under my goal... opps. I already had a deficit of about 750, so I will need to eat a little extra tomorrow!
  • healthypelican
    Options
    I guess I will have to go easy tomorrow (well, now its today) so I don't burn out. I might aim for like 5,000 steps and to track all my food. Anything beyond that is a bonus.
  • trooworld
    trooworld Posts: 6,076 Member
    Options
    Hi all! Well, I was going to do a 5K on 3/11 with a colleague but I just found out that Comic Con tickets go on sale that morning, so I won't be able to do the 5K. It's just as well, as my toenail is coming off one of my big toes and it would probably aggravate it to walk 3.3 something miles anyway.

@gemwolf110 I love it too. I read the first book and enjoyed that as well. Hopefully I can find it on Netflix or Amazon Prime. We decided we would get rid of cable on Monday.

@healthypelican it's amazing how clothes can motivate us, right? Good luck, I hope you get to get that jacket.

@peruviansweetie that is good motivation. It's tempting but I want to save my money.

@theslightedgeforever you waited 5 months for a hot fudge sundae? That's amazing. You do have patience! I can understand wanting to avoid diabetes, it's one of my greatest fears.
  • cbabie
    cbabie Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    Hello to all, I am still fighting this stupid cold. I just took an allergy pill. I believe in my oils, but don't have the time today and got behind in my things I usually have made up. I have been keeping on the no sugar/bread life style. I haven't walked in very regular this past week. Have to save my energy for life/work. :) I will get back on it. It's one of those things I have done so long, you can't just drop it. Kind of like taking a bath/shower. (well I hope you take one) :)

No time for personals, but I hope you all have a great Friday!

Cbabi
  • trooworld
    Options
    Hi all. Not much going on around here, just going into work early today (I do on Fridays so I can get out and out of the traffic early).

@gemwolf110 thanks! I'll look into it more. Wow, that's great you went to a cycling class. That should help you in your bike race, hopefully. What great goals.

@cbabie I'm sorry you are still sick. I hope you feel better soon!
  • mysticlizard
    mysticlizard Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone,

To everyone who has been on track, met a goal, or had something nice happen in their life Way to go! :) To all who are struggling, spinning their wheels, or had something come up, I send positive thoughts and (((hugs))) to you. Welcome to all the new people that have joined the board. I am so glad to see everyone!

I am back from Phoenix/Vegas. I had an amazing time. I can say what you do in Vegas doesn't stay in Vegas, I picked up several pounds. Then Phoenix with their awesome Mexican restaurants added a few more. I never ate until I was stuffed but the choices I made were calorie dense. I have no regrets, I will just get back on track and move forward. It will be easier here at home as I don't go out to eat that much and the choice of restaurants is dismal. The girls kept the home fires burning, did what they were suppose to, and had a good time being in charge of the house. I am glad to be back home and looking forward to getting back to my life.

Liz <3

March Goals
    1 January 2017 239 3 March 243
    1. Log all food out 0 of 31 days Under calories of 31 days Over calories 3 of 31 days Protein goal 0 of 31 days
    2. Exercise 20 hours (1200 minutes) 0
    3. Managing stress 2 out of 31 days

I am being purposeful in my daily actions to become the healthy active balanced person that I want to be.
  • mysticlizard
    mysticlizard Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Good Morning All,

Yesterday I got my hour of exercise in and came in under my calorie goal, so I am back on track :) .

I hope everyone is having a good weekend. <3

Liz

March Goals
    1 January 2017 239 3 March 243
    1. Log all food out 1 of 31 days Under calories 1 of 31 days Over calories 3 of 31 days Protein goal 0 of 31 days
    2. Exercise 20 hours (1200 minutes) 60
    3. Managing stress 3 out of 31 days

I am being purposeful in my daily actions to become the healthy active balanced person that I want to be.
  • trooworld
    Options
    Hi all! I haven't gotten on the scale in about 2 weeks or so, I really need to but keep forgetting to do it before I eat something. I haven't eaten something yet but it's my internet time so I'll try to remember after this.

@mysticlizard welcome back! It sounds like you had a great time on your vacation. You WILL get back on track!

@gemwolf110 I hope you aren't getting sick. Enjoy your day off!
  • NEOHgirl
    NEOHgirl Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Hi all - sorry I've been MIA. Last week I was on vacation and this week has been crazy stressful. Things are going to be this way for at least another week or two, but I am managing. I lost .1 since my last WI 2 weeks ago, and since I was not in my own house and ate hotel/restaurant food for almost 6 days straight I am happy with any loss at all. Today is spring cleaning & then walking around the car show for a few hours. Tomorrow will be more spring cleaning and then heading downtown to see Cirque du Soleil's Avatar show. A vendor offered us free tickets for their private suite, meaning food & drinks are included. I've been to sporting events with them and they usually order some healthy options like veggie trays & hummus along with the burgers and fries, so I should be able to stay on track.

I LOVE OUTLANDER! I've been reading the books for 20+ years. I believe Starz has their own streaming service now, or will soon, so if don't want to wait until the DVDs are released, you should still be able to find it online.

Off to start my cleaning. Happy Saturday all!
  • theslightedgeforever
    Options
    healthypelican Sounds like you got in alot of movement and was tracking your food. Good for you

trooworld I have patience in some things but then in others.....nada How are you doing on your lb this week? How will you know if you lost that lb if you don't weigh in. Just a quick step on and off. Takes just a minute and tells you if your current plan is working or not. You don't want to go too far in the opposite direction and not know you need to turn around. What have you done for exercise this week? My exercise of choice has been walking this week. For this next week, I'm going to try a youtube step aerobics video.

gemwolf. good for you for trying something new in fitness. Sorry about your cold

cbabie I hope your cold is getting better.

mysticlizard Glad you enjoyed your trip Now back to reality. Good start on your health journey

NEOHgirl Yaaay on your loss. I'll take any loss I can get. car show and avatar sounds fun. Keep up the good work.

food budget for cals and carbs just slightly over
    exercise only 15 min of walking. But got my butt off the couch

Overall this week was pretty good. We will find out tomorrow.

• trooworld
    Options
    Hi all! I'm so mad at myself for gaining this past month. I hate dieting I hate eating healthy I hate trying. It seems pointless...if I'm just going to gain anyway. Excuse me for the temper tantrum, I just got off the scale. +6.2 lbs in one month. I seem destined to be fat.

@NEOHgirl congrats on the loss. You sound like you have a fun day planned. Good luck at the private suite.

@theslightedgeforever I am doing crappy on my lb this week. Well, that isn't exactly fair: I weighed in this morning but hadn't weighed in since 2/5 prior to today. It says I gained 6.2 lbs since 2/5, so I don't know if I lost this week but I probably gained. Yeah I decided to go weigh in. I haven't done any exercise except for yoga and tai chi. Next week, I hope to step it up and go to the gym. How are you doing on your 1 lb? You find out tomorrow?
  • theslightedgeforever
    Options
    1 pound challenge

I lost 2.4 this week
    trooworld now you have a starting place for next week

Report in when your week is finished
    cbabie
    bugmom

WHO WILL JOIN US THIS WEEK?

JUST ONE POUND

yxzn3azqyqm0.gif
  • bugmom92
    bugmom92 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    @trooworld I'd throw away the scale, it sounds broken. ;-) Go ahead and vent, that's why we're here. Now that you got that out of your system, you can focus on finding a solution. Did you track every day? If not...maybe you didn't make as good of choices as you thought. If you did...look at that tracker. Did you stay at your calorie/points/whatever level? If not...get back on track this week. If you did...look at WHAT you ate. Yes, it's calories in and calories out, but not all foods act the same. Look at your activity level...did you move less, move more? That is the beauty of tracking...being able to look back and see patterns, etc. Don't give up! I have felt just like you, on many occasions...and even though I'm still having to work at it, I'm glad I didn't give up.

My friend arranged a couple's night for some of us, so last night we ate dinner at her house. I brought my "famous" baked bean casserole (it's yummy and it's what I almost always bring to potlucks, and people always want the recipe); there was homemade mashed potatoes, a green bean and mushroom dish, Caesar salad, steak. Also chips and spinach dip that I avoided (I fill up easily now, so I knew I wanted to enjoy that steak and saved room). The only appetizer I had was one single bacon wrapped, almond stuffed date...sooooooo good! I knew in advance what everyone was bringing, so it was easy to plan for. Then we went to the Pantages Theater in Hollywood and saw "Finding Neverland". It was amazing! I hadn't seen the movie, but now I want to (Johnny Depp, you know...). This is only the second time my hubby has gone with me to a musical, and he loved it. Usually my daughter and I go and see plays and shows and do all the cultural stuff. So it was a real treat.

Here's to a good week everyone!
    Karla :-)
  • NEOHgirl
    NEOHgirl Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    @theslightedge – 15 minutes is better than nothing. WTG for the loss!

@trooworld – please don’t think that’s destiny. If I recall, you had a very stressful month, yes? It’s a good time for you to BAM – breathe, accept, & move on. You CAN be healthy, and it doesn’t have to be a chore. Think about what you did RIGHT this past month and build on that. WTG doing a WI today!

@bugmom92 – great job preplanning for the party. I love a good theater night. I got to see Cirque du Soleil’s Toruk show, based on Avatar. It was by far the most amazing set design I’ve ever seen in ANY type of show.

I did well with the catered food; had a salad, some cheese, a single cookie, and 2 soft pretzel balls. I skipped the pizza and real desserts when they passed around the order form. I had a single beer & the rest was water. I managed to come in under my calorie target for the day with the calories I earned from housework today. Now off to bed for a good night’s sleep. Have a good week y’all.
  • theslightedgeforever
    Options
    trooworld good words of wisdom from bugmom and neohgirl. This last month was an experiment for you. Compare it to the month before. You were following the whole30 program for 26 days and lost 5 lbs. The next month you gained weight Let's look for some clues as to what happened. You went on a trip and said "Food while away wasn't healthy most of the days. I even binged on potato chips and dip one night." "I need to get back to tracking my food in MFP. Without tracking, I feel like nobody is watching and I can eat with reckless abandonment. "As to how I handle the dinner problem, I do best when I pretrack my day and then if I have to change something, I do." You had an dental implant and was anxious. "I took a smaller than normal portion of burrito casserole for dinner. I think that's about all I did, but it's a step in the right direction." so You said you do best when you pretrack. I think tracking is the key for you. So this week concentrate on that. When you track you will see if you are going over your calories or not. Its like a bank balance If you don't have the money in the bank, you can't spend it. Unfortunately most of us just use credit cards which comes with ugly interest charges. With our calorie bank account, that interest comes in the form of ugly unhealthy fat that shows up on the scale. Now do you see why I started cutting my muffin in half. If I think about it I do the same with a slice of bread so I get the "feel" of a sandwich but less calories. Now I just have to repeat. My strategy for spaghetti needs updating. Total failure with that tonight. So half my plate with that and half with salad. We are all learning. I know you can do this.

bugmom I love all that cultural stuff too. Sounds like you made good choices. I never thought of adding bacon to a stuffed date. I'll have to try it.

NEOHgirl I like that BAM. I bet that Cirque De Soleil was amazing. Sounds like you made good choices too. You added in some beer pretzels and cookie and still came in under calories. For me this is the best way to approach this journey. You don't feel deprived and so later on down the road don't eat the whole house.

~~~~~~~

Food budget GASP. The homemade spaghetti.....I had seconds even. I love it that much. So that needs work. Don't want to put myself in the deficit regarding my lb for this week. its hard to climb out of a hole.

Exercise I tried a new youtube video for step aerobics. At first I had the step too high for my current fitness level and had to lower it halfway. At one point I had to just march in place because I was breathing too heavy, but the weird thing was my fitbit was barely showing this in my heartrate. But anyway, I moved my body and tried something new. I still need to work more at moving during the day.
  • cbabie
    cbabie Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    Morning to all...my weekends are so busy, never enough time. However, I did sit down late last night and watch God's not Dead 2, it was good, my kind of movie. My only relax time it seems. I totally binged this weekend, it started Friday night and ended last night. I saw the benefits of eating clean after eating all sugar this weekend. So I know what I want to do. Yes I did lose , but who knows after this weekend. I lost 5 lbs. However remember I was sick last week too..LOL

@mysticlizard You can do this. I know you can because you did it before you went on your trip. LOL
    @gemwolf110 hope you caught up on your rest.
    @NEOHgirl Great JOB
    @theslightedgeforever great job on the getting back to it!
    @bugmom92 Great job for preplanning!!
    @trooworld I wonder if when you did the 30 day it changed your system, a little. I know when I fasted it changed my system on how my body reacted to certain things...but tracking is the KEY for sure.

I am trying to bring my body back into balance after all the "fasting" that I have done over the last few years. I still believe in fasting for medical reasons and spiritual reasons, so I am not changing on that, but I do know that how we treat our bodies has a trickle effect. Think of all those people that when they were younger did things even like alcohol, drugs, binge eating, self starving, excessive exercise ....whatever it was it has an effect. The things about our bodies, is it was designed to heal itself. So we just have to get back to the basics. (Sorry, I got on my soapbox again) Wow I can tell I am feeling better. LOL

Well I have to go catch up on my walking...haven't done it since I got sick..:(

Cbabie
  • trooworld
    Options
    Hi all! I didn't sleep well last night, so I slept in and now I have to hurry to get ready.

@theslightedgeforever yep indeed! You are right, tracking (and pre-tracking) is key for me, I don't know why I am resisting it so much. I think because right now, budget is taking priority over my health and I don't want to SEE how much I am eating. But I should try, maybe I'll be surprised. For spaghetti, can you have 1/4 portion of veggies, 1/4 portion of salad, and then the rest spaghetti?

@bugmom92 it must be broken lol. Did I track every day? No. I did not track at all. And I hardly moved at all. Does it sound like it should be a surprise that I gained? Nope. I just don't know if I have it in me to try. I was trying to eat intuitively, but apparently I'm not very good at that and need to track. I won't give up, I'll just whine about it for a while. lol It sounds like the food was really good at couples night. Did you all play games too?

@NEOHgirl Thanks! I like the acronym. Feb actually wasn't too stressful, I did travel for work for a week in the 2nd week, but the rest was just ok. Great job on the food! I hope you slept well.

@cbabie I'm glad you are feeling better.